Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2011, 04:27 PM   #1
9mmMike OP
Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Alpinestars Cape Town Air Drystar Jacket?

Has anyone bought one of these? I have not seen any reviews from anyone except Alpinestars sellers.

9mmMike screwed with this post 10-08-2011 at 08:46 PM
9mmMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
9mmMike OP
Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Too new?
9mmMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:34 AM   #3
DominoTree
EX250 Warrior

Oddometer: 95
Ordered one of these today, we'll see how it does :P

2006 Yamaha XT225
Gone but not forgotten:
1990 Kawasaki ZX6D, 1990 Honda VFR750F, 2008 Kawasaki EX250J, 2005 BMW F650GS (Single)
DominoTree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:54 PM   #4
razcob
Dromedary

Oddometer: 327
I have been looking at the hi-viz Capetown. You may know this, but the jacket is made of 600 cordura, although, this isn't listed in the description. Revzilla listed the jacket as the best in its category. Also, the best price I found is currently on ebay for $274 shipped.

Let us know, how you like it.
razcob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:40 PM   #5
DominoTree
EX250 Warrior

Oddometer: 95
Got the jacket in, just small enough that I'm gonna return it for a size up, but here are a few quick impressions -

This thing will flow a lot of air when you're moving, however, unlike a lot of traditional mesh jackets, there is still a liner under the mesh which could hinder airflow.

The collar is very tall, and actually popped the snap off the strap on the D-ring on my helmet once.

The liner is pretty breathable but is as waterproof as advertised. Not thick enough to be particularly warm, even with the fleece, but you can always put on a sweater underneath.

Chest armor blocks a fair portion of the front venting, however, I don't think it'd matter too much. The chest "armor" is nothing more than cheap foam padding anyways, and I don't think you'd lose a lot by removing it or taking a hole punch to it. The same goes with the back "armor" as well, however, I think the Bionic Air back protector that matches the jacket would be a wonderful addition. Perhaps the replacement chest armor as well, as it is also ventilated.

The Jacket fits easily into a Givi E21 case, which is very convenient when visiting clients during the day.

The shoulder armor wants to roll backwards it seems - not sure if that's how the jacket is designed or because I needed a larger size.

It's *super* lightweight compared to what I'm used to (thick leathers with heavy armor) - much more comfortable, but this is my first proper textile jacket and I would be curious to see how the lighter armor and materials hold up in a get-off.

The liner is a bit of a pain to install and remove, mainly due to the fact that the wrists do not unzip, they only tighten/loosen with velcro, which makes securing the ends of the sleeves of the liner difficult.

Overall, I think this will be a great three-season jacket from what I've seen so far. It seems high-quality and well thought-out. I'll probably spend the extra $100 for the upgraded chest and back armor, because I really think it'll make the jacket safer *AND* improve airflow.

My only major complaint is the selection of colors available. Hi-Viz yellow, and dark grey. How about a light tan or something? People buying this jacket are planning on riding it in HOT climates, and making the thing dark and black does not help people stay cool (or stay visible if they don't want the neon green road-worker look)

Oh, and my mom says it's very stylish

2006 Yamaha XT225
Gone but not forgotten:
1990 Kawasaki ZX6D, 1990 Honda VFR750F, 2008 Kawasaki EX250J, 2005 BMW F650GS (Single)
DominoTree is offline   Reply With Quote