ShardPhoenix
Наглый ублюдок

Oddometer: 801
Here's my '05 S40.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:32 PM   #77
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,822
I happen to LOVE old technology in ANY kind of motor vehicle. Especially motorcycles. If old technology is built with quality (like Harley) it can last a long time. If it isn't, like the RE Bullet, then it will be nothing but trouble. Sadly, both new Harleys and Royal Enfields are now fuel injected. God I love carbs. I own 2 liquid cooled bikes, and have owned over 20. Never had a problem. Liquid cooling goes back to the Model T, so it is hardly new technology. But I wouldn't even consider owning a bike with FI or ABS. Totally kills the soul of the machine.

The Suzuki S40 is the ONLY air cooled big single street bike with a carburetor left in production. I also love the engine, but not crazy about the rest of the bike. But since it is still in production, parts will be available for a long time. I fully intend to buy a nice used one in the not too distant future and hang onto it while I figure out what to do with it. I just love some of the customs I've seen built out of it. I don't even know if Ryca is even selling anything yet, and their stuff is super expensive. You could buy a nice pre FI Bonneville for the cost of an S40 and a Ryca kit. No, it's not a single, but it is a very retro vertical twin with no "new" technology on it.

As for bikes like the SR500 (which was developed from the XT500 dual sport) and the GB500 (which also uses a dirt bike engine), best of luck ever finding one of those. Like the Kawasaki W650, they are all in private collections now, and if you do find one for sale, it would cost a fortune. A carbed TU500 or 650 would be great, but it isn't going to happen. I would grab a nice used S40 now while you can, then figure out a way to make it look the way you want. It's both air cooled and carbed, and the engine is beautiful. You could even ride it while you try to figure out what to do with it.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:44 PM   #78
ShardPhoenix
Наглый ублюдок

Yeah, but the S40 has tubed tires and no center-stand.

Horrible road bike.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:48 PM   #79
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,328
sr500's turn up on ebay and craigslist from time to time around here.
Here is one for $600.00
http://cnj.craigslist.org/mcy/3419316881.html

There are 5 on ebay now, this one looks nice:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAH...8#ht_500wt_724

I also love the s40 motor and hate the chopper look and forward controls.
Makes you want to learn to weld.

Here are some others:
Honda Ascot ft500,
Suzuki sp 500 did they make a street only version?,
xs400 (twin but cool)

So many bikes, so little money....
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:54 PM   #80
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,604
Want to name a long list of bikes that have a center stand? How about tubeless tires?? How about name a bike that has both?? Some boob in the industry decided that center stands and kick starters were not needed and look where we are now? Maybe the last Japanese bike with a centerstand was the Suzuki GS500F?? Of course the old race bikes and dual sports didn't have them, but just about all street bikes came with centerstands. I bet the current redesigned Royal Enfields come with centerstands, and kick starters are an option. My 2007 had both.

The S40 a horrible road bike? Maybe not real comfy, but I bet that big 650cc single has decent torque and a nice pull. And doing 100mph is overrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShardPhoenix View Post
Yeah, but the S40 has tubed tires and no center-stand.

Horrible road bike.

Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #81
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,373
Having ridden Harleys for several years, I like the S40 lay out and forward controls.

And I've gone 100 mph on a CB 350 Honda.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #82
ShardPhoenix
Наглый ублюдок

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove View Post
Want to name a long list of bikes that have a center stand? How about tubeless tires?? How about name a bike that has both?? Some boob in the industry decided that center stands and kick starters were not needed and look where we are now? Maybe the last Japanese bike with a centerstand was the Suzuki GS500F?? Of course the old race bikes and dual sports didn't have them, but just about all street bikes came with centerstands. I bet the current redesigned Royal Enfields come with centerstands, and kick starters are an option. My 2007 had both.

The S40 a horrible road bike? Maybe not real comfy, but I bet that big 650cc single has decent torque and a nice pull. And doing 100mph is overrated.

Hey, I was making a joke towards JerryH because in so many threads he's made a big stink about tubless tires, center stands and all that.

That's why there was the little hide emoticon.

(BTW, In case you missed it-- I ride an S40, I know that it's got some nice torque and decent pull and 100mph is overrated)

ShardPhoenix screwed with this post 11-30-2012 at 08:10 PM
ShardPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:08 PM   #83
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,604
Sorry, didn't realize. Believe it or not, the S40 is on my short list of bikes I'd like to have. I prefer the S40 to the Savage, as I like the flat bars better. I guess it's a bit surprising the Savage/S40 is still in the Suzuki lineup. I'm glad it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShardPhoenix View Post
Hey, I was making a joke towards JerryH because in so many threads he's made a big stink about tubless tires, center stands and all that.

That's why there was the little hide emoticon.

(BTW, In case you missed it-- I ride an S40, I know that it's got some nice torque and decent pull and 100mph is overrated)
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:33 PM   #84
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,822
It probably won't be much longer, due to the damned EPA. Or it will have FI, and I will no longer want it. I have looked at the S40/Savage, and believe I can fabricate a bolt on support that could be carried along for flat tires. I did that with my Rebel. But having to take all the stuff along to fix flats with tubeless tires doesn't leave you much room to carry anything else. So it would definitely be at a disadvantage as far as going on long trips is concerned. But I just love the big air cooled carbureted single.

My XT225 now has both a centerstand AND a kickstarter. SW Motech makes a centerstand for the Honda VLX600, too bad they don't have one for the LS650.

I must be the only one who gets flat tires. I got 3 in one day on the XT. Out in the middle of the desert. Absolutely nothing to prop it up on. I would have been buzzard food had it not been for that centerstand. At least if you are riding on the road, there is a chance that someone might stop to help you. A slim chance, but possible.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:24 AM   #85
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,940
More crazy postings from JerryH:

"Like the Kawasaki W650, they are all in private collections now, and if you do find one for sale, it would cost a fortune. "

I have a W650 which I ride daily and there are always some for sale as has been pointed out to JerryH in several other threads.

"I must be the only one who gets flat tires. I got 3 in one day on the XT. Out in the middle of the desert. Absolutely nothing to prop it up on. I would have been buzzard food had it not been for that centerstand."

No rocks in the desert? Can't lay the XT225 over on it's side to repair the flat tire? Guess you would just have to die then.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:46 AM   #86
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 874
Right here big boy, I'm single.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:06 PM   #87
dlmarquez
dlm

Oddometer: 79
maybe the perfect single...except for one or two minor details

check out this link

www.borile.it
look at the Borile B450 Scrambler...whats not to like?
Light!
fabulous looks...the closest to perfect I have seen
Ducati top end, Borile lower end
kick start!!!!!!! YAY

only problems are no dealers in the US and I think the price is around 14K EUROS!!!!
dlmarquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:39 AM   #88
40cu.in.of.furey OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmarquez View Post
Well, the situation does appear to slowly be improving, with encouraging rumors!
We have the Royal Enfield, the CBR250R, The TU250, the BMW and Husky singles, and we are going to be getting the KTM Duke 390 according to all the rumors
There are also rumors of a Triumph single in the 250-350 range.
This just leaves Yamaha out in the cold. I can't imagine they will stay there forever.
I suspect we will be seeing Chinese branded 250-350 street singles in the near future in the US as well
I sure would like to see the see the SR400 or an SRX 400!!!

You would think Yamaha would just use there 700cc single out of there quads and put in a bike, not much R&D there, they could use the FZ8 platform for it or a cafe look, although water cooled lumps aren't as pretty as air/oil cooled engines.

Ben
40cu.in.of.furey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:39 PM   #89
Durangoman
Yeah its me!

Oddometer: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by surly357 View Post
i'd really like to stumble onto one of those, one of the neatest looking japanese bikes ever, imho. last time i saw one on CL the ad was gone in less than 40 minutes!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
If I could stumble across a nice GB500 for a "reasonable" price I'd jump on it.

I have an excellent one!!

Durangoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:52 PM   #90
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,312

Yamaha MT-03. Not for the US.

Derbi 660 Mulhacen , not for the US either.

Aprilla 660 Strada , I don't need to say it.....

And my dearly departed MZ Skorpion Sport, slightly modded. It was a really fun bike.
MZ's were sold in the US until they went under.
All of the bikes above are powered by the Yamaha 660 single , 5 valves in the earlier ones , the four valve modern version.

bk brkr baker screwed with this post 12-23-2012 at 04:46 PM
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote