Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2012, 06:01 PM   #106
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by theGrinch View Post
Thanks gunner, I need to do this to my "99 now you make it look so easy.

Meat Pop I vote this go in the LC4 index.

If I dig I could find where Creeper predicted it would be nigh impossible to remove that seal without splitting the cases - so kudos to you David!

(just between you and me, I've been trying to get this fella to take over the index because the material it needs now is outside of my expertise and in his)

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:30 PM   #107
ChrisC
Molon Labe

Oddometer: 6,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle View Post
Just between you and me, I've been trying to get this fella to take over the index because the material it needs now is outside of my expertise and in his
Dateline June 19, 2012

It has been reported that the remaining living members of La Famiglia are now showing signs of pre-senile dementia.

Sad but true...
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:35 PM   #108
rz35027
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Awesome Gunnerbuck.

Manuals are great, but videos and a manual...priceless.

Thanks!
rz35027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:29 AM   #109
overlandr
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Dateline June 19, 2012

It has been reported that the remaining living members of La Famiglia are now showing signs of pre-senile dementia.

Sad but true...
Excellent instructional video GB thanks. On another note, long dark winter evenings down here lead one to believe members who move to NY suffer distorted thinking brought about by the greater toxic stress due to reduced east coast air quality. Frequent trips back to CO riding an M20 are prescribed.
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:46 AM   #110
ChrisC
Molon Labe

Oddometer: 6,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandr View Post
Excellent instructional video GB thanks. On another note, long dark winter evenings down here lead one to believe members who move to NY suffer distorted thinking brought about by the greater toxic stress due to reduced east coast air quality. Frequent trips back to CO riding an M20 are prescribed.
Can we have an AMEN! Even Aussie wankers suffering from Seasonal Affective Disorder get it right occasionally. I am in the midst of divesting myself of everything eastern and heading west, can't wait.
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:07 AM   #111
Lortdadu
Joe Cool

Oddometer: 208
Great video GB!

KTM LC4 400 2002 - Military version
Lortdadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:59 AM   #112
overlandr
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Can we have an AMEN! Even Aussie wankers suffering from Seasonal Affective Disorder get it right occasionally. I am in the midst of divesting myself of everything eastern and heading west, can't wait.
OI! Repeat after me " I must take my medication before posting". Mood swings are to be avoided as well as posting stuff like this in GBs worthy thread.
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:29 PM   #113
tdreyer
KTiM

Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
I noticed while out on the first couple longer rides that the project bikes clutch release point would change... When I would blast up a hill and shift from first to second I really could feel this point change through the lever... Last Saturday I decided to get to the bottom of this and at the same time shoot a bit of video:
Any update on how the new bearing retainer and re-seating of the bearing has worked out?

"04625 SXC
'04 625 SMC 76,xxx mi.
'97 CR500 Sold
tdreyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:47 PM   #114
gunnerbuck OP
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdreyer View Post
Any update on how the new bearing retainer and re-seating of the bearing has worked out?
I guess I should of mentioned the results: the clutch action is right back to normal.. The release point at the lever remains constant no matter what I do with the throttle or gear selector... That's all good for now after about 100 KMs, but we'll see how it is after 4000-5000 KM, I'll report back then...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:29 PM   #115
tdreyer
KTiM

Good to here. After looking at my hydraulic unit as the possible problem, I must now conclude that this must be the cause of my clutch going limp once up to highway speed and operating temps around 160°.

How much more difficult is it to just pull the bearing, clean everything up, and use some form of loctite to aid in it's proper placement? Are there some special tools?

Also, I have been looking at aftermarket clutch fibers, which are considerable less expensive, but there is no mention of the oddball first plate and the associated o—ring that is shown in the parts listing's and your video. Any ideas on this?

"04625 SXC
'04 625 SMC 76,xxx mi.
'97 CR500 Sold
Old 06-20-2012, 09:57 PM   #116
gunnerbuck OP
Island Hopper

Quote:
Good to here. After looking at my hydraulic unit as the possible problem, I must now conclude that this must be the cause of my clutch going limp once up to highway speed and operating temps around 160°.

How much more difficult is it to just pull the bearing, clean everything up, and use some form of loctite to aid in it's proper placement? Are there some special tools?

Also, I have been looking at aftermarket clutch fibers, which are considerable less expensive, but there is no mention of the oddball first plate and the associated o—ring that is shown in the parts listing's and your video. Any ideas on this?
First thing is make sure your slave and master are not the problem... I found that when the clutch cylinders seals start to go engine pressure at high revs will push slack in the slave piston as to where you need a couple tugs on the lever to put pressure back to the system... The erratic pressure point I was getting from the mainshaft axial play was really noticeable when accelerating and pulling the clutch in at the same time... You could actually feel the clutch spring pressure drop through the hand lever as the shaft slid towards it... Keep in mind that the clutch push rod only moves about 1/8-1/4 " so the extra 1/16" of axial slop I had in the shaft will cause the slave piston to have a sudden pressure drop in those gears that allow shaft movement {2nd}...

I would imagine that the EBC clutch plates would be OK and you could use the oem first plate and O-ring... But are you sure the OEM plates are shot? The stock OEM clutch is one robust unit, it takes a lot of abuse and shows little wear, my other bike had 127,000 km on the clutch and all plates still measured close to the new spec...

For pulling the bearing I was going to rig a system using spokes to fit between the rollers and hook the back lip of the bearing if they are small enough.. Then I would make a plate that the spoke ends would fit through and I could bolt my slide puller to... When the case is warm the bearing moves quite easily... I don't know if this would work but I figure it is worth a try...
Old 06-21-2012, 09:02 AM   #117
tdreyer
KTiM

I have had my share of hydraulic unit woes. I am certain that it is not the case. I have bleed it 6 ways from sunday and while I was triple checking it for the 3rd time I replaced the slave o-ring for good measure.

My issue always arises when either the bike reaches operating temp or when I get up to about 70mph. I believe it is more temperature related than speed because by the time I get out on the highway on my morning commute is probably when the engine reaches it's temp allowing for the bearing to shift?? The operation of the clutch will only return after the bike has set and allowed to cool for a few hours.

No I'm not sure about the clutch plates because I have not pulled it apart yet.Overall the motor has over 122,310km

Sorry for the hijack, thanks very much for your input.

"04625 SXC
'04 625 SMC 76,xxx mi.
'97 CR500 Sold
Old 06-21-2012, 09:28 AM   #118
Faken00b
I might be...

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle View Post
If I dig I could find where Creeper predicted it would be nigh impossible to remove that seal without splitting the cases - so kudos to you David!
Not impossible... just a bit of creativity and consideration.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:43 AM   #119
gunnerbuck OP
Island Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faken00b View Post
Looks like a great bit of simple engineering...
Old 06-21-2012, 09:50 AM   #120
gunnerbuck OP
Island Hopper

Quote:
I have had my share of hydraulic unit woes. I am certain that it is not the case. I have bleed it 6 ways from sunday and while I was triple checking it for the 3rd time I replaced the slave o-ring for good measure.

My issue always arises when either the bike reaches operating temp or when I get up to about 70mph. I believe it is more temperature related than speed because by the time I get out on the highway on my morning commute is probably when the engine reaches it's temp allowing for the bearing to shift?? The operation of the clutch will only return after the bike has set and allowed to cool for a few hours.

No I'm not sure about the clutch plates because I have not pulled it apart yet.Overall the motor has over 122,310km

Sorry for the hijack, thanks very much for your input.
No hijack, good stuff, have you put in a rebuild into the master lately? With your mileage it would be a good idea regardless to inspect components under the left side, be sure to check the radial play of the needle set on the countershaft while your in there...