User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2011, 05:11 AM   #16
TEZZA
ADV B4 DEM/TED

Oddometer: 279
Thumb Pegs

Silverboy if you want some pegs made in one peice i will make them for you if you want .
It might take a bit of time to get to you as i am in Australia .
I gather that you are in the USA ????
I have a freind coming over in November and could get them posted from the States then.
PM me if this is any help.
Tezza
Now the Perfect pair!!!!
TEZZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:40 PM   #17
oldman67
n00b

Oddometer: 6
That is great what enthusiasm you have. I have a son who has lost his left foot, he rigged a compression release cable to his shifter to pull it up, he can push it down with his prostethic foot. He gave me his Pingle shifter to install on my KLR so when he comes to visit he can ride it. I have yet to install it. Your pictures and story have given me a little insight into what I have to do to install it.
Thanks for your write up, you rock!!!!
oldman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:57 AM   #18
silverboy OP
Bunny

Oddometer: 544
pinzgel

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman67 View Post
That is great what enthusiasm you have. I have a son who has lost his left foot, he rigged a compression release cable to his shifter to pull it up, he can push it down with his prostethic foot. He gave me his Pingle shifter to install on my KLR so when he comes to visit he can ride it. I have yet to install it. Your pictures and story have given me a little insight into what I have to do to install it.
Thanks for your write up, you rock!!!!

Take special care to align the piston correctly. It took me two shifter levers due to moving the hole around.
Also, the bushing in the steel bar is vital. with an oversized hole in the steel bar that was drilled at the outside diameter of a thick spacer washer like piece of metal I found at the hardware store. The shifter was attached through the spacer then larger washers were used to make the fit snug. This allows rotation but not much movement in and out. The piston need to rotate freely forward and backwards, but be solid towards and away from the bike. Without this, as I found out, the piston rod will be much earlier than it already will.
And, when it bends, just use a rubber hammer and meticulously bend it straight.
I have mine rebuilt every couple months for $100, it comes back bomber. The seals suck for dirt but are worse putting up with so I can shift.

Also. An auto clutch and left hand rear brake will make his life much better. I know he can use his right foot but that will mean he will need to put down what is left of the left... This makes many situations harder than they need to be!

Good luck
silverboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:08 PM   #19
mikeash
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Very cool that you found a way to keep riding.
mikeash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:50 AM   #20
silverboy OP
Bunny

Moab in the fall

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeash View Post
Very cool that you found a way to keep riding.
Thanks. Here is a trip from a couple of weeks ago in the desert. The more i ride, the more I realize none of these mods handicap me...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=742119
Old 11-26-2011, 01:22 PM   #21
Big Doobie
Frustrated Redneck

Oddometer: 539
You are a Tough, Resourseful and Brave Dude!

Much Respect!

You haven't lost until you quit trying.

"I can't complain but sometimes I still do." Joe Walsh
Big Doobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:23 AM   #22
silverboy OP
Bunny

Best pegs ever

Zip Ty started making these spiked versions of their peg extensions. I have found true love.
I rode all weekend and my feet never came off!

I used longer set screws than supplied and larger diameter bolts to attach the extension to the peg.

Amazing! It feels like your standing on the floor.

Steve Mcqueen
Old 02-20-2012, 04:00 PM   #23
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 1,983
Silverboy,
Good on ya for making your hobby work despite the disablement.
ProMotoBillet/Fastway just came out this month with a new footpeg design dubbed the Adventure.
They are basicly a double regular Fastway footpeg, right up your alley.
When the new stuff wears out or breaks due to having to drill and weaken the peg, you might want to take a look at these.
I run the stock type on all my offroad bikes, and I agree, better foot platforms transforms a good ride into a great ride.

http://www.promotobillet.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=23

No affiliation, just a fan.
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:03 PM   #24
silverboy OP
Bunny

Those look great. Thanks. Ill give them a try after I break my zip tys. They work great but are kinda fragile...

Steve Mcqueen
Old 02-22-2012, 02:16 PM   #25
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverboy View Post
I lost the use of my left leg and both feet in a skydiving accident 8 years ago. I broke my back and spinal cord damage does not heal over time so I made some changes...
It took some research and testing, but i have a system that works very well for riding with hand controls only. I can ride 99% what everyone rides and have started racing in a few enduros. This bike is 2004 525. Torque is good.
Heres how I did it:

1. Buy Revloc or Rekluse auto clutch so clutch lever can be replaced with brake lever.
Revloc

On a more recent conversion I used a rekluse instead of Revloc. The rekluse seems to prevent more spinning on the rear tire somehow. It also seems to tolerate abuse a bit better, I have had no problems in 2000 miles where I had many problems with the Revloc. The funny noise the rekluse makes is normal when bogging.

2. Buy Pingel shifter and mount to custom metal bar by shifter
Pingel

I bend the shaft frequently. It costs about $75 to have it rebuilt. I have two pistons, so one is fresh when needed.
This part is not made for dirt bikes but works amazingly well considering.

3. Buy Zipty racing peg extensions to help feet stay on pegs.
Zipty

4. I had my suspension lowered 2" so my feet could touch. I had front and rear shocks lowered by Stillwell.
http://www.stillwellperformance.com/...011-race-team/
I fall mostly when stopped... and my skid plate hits more, but well worth not falling over all the time due to very weak quads.

Custom tranny cover:

The other threat of lowering a bike is your feet are closer to the ground.

The only advantage of not feeling your feet is being able to finish long rides after doing this to my foot...

Getting it on the bike

Installation of auto clutch is not too bad. The new clutch basket is easily removed with oily fingers and an impact driver.
For quicker installation, use driver bits with t15 star head to twist many small screws. Pay particular attention to washers under basket. Laying bike on side during installation helps.

Cover for clutch side is a simple plate or better, a custom threaded rod into the top of your existing clutch cover.

Replace clutch with brake lever. Magura makes this. Remove foot brake and have new hose made at auto shop for about $60.

My KTM 450 xcw uses brake fluid for the clutch. For that convesion I just had a new hose made. Super easy!

Install shifter on some sort of metal bracket custom made for your bike.
I made mine with 3/16 plate, a drill, metal cut off wheel, a vise and blow torch to heat the metal into bending easier.
It took several tries, but the bar is perfect now. I ground a slight curve in bottom to clear crankcase.

Mounting the steel bracket is not too bad if the holes line up. After a few versions, mine uses all stock holes with longer bolts. Make sure the shifter can rotate on a bushing to optimize shifting angle for piston. This is supplied with shifter and is critical to install properly.

Wiring the shifter is not too bad. It attaches to the battery and one other wire shown in installation manual.

Making foot pegs larger made riding so much better. My balance is pretty bad so larger pegs enabled me to stand.

Thats it. Riding again. Hope this helps someone get back in the saddle.

Mucho Hombre Senor... Good luck
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:09 AM   #26
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,783
Awesome!

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #27
bradrh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Awesome.
It sounds like you shift w/o clutching, or did I miss a shift lever in the build there somewhere
Old 03-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #28
silverboy OP
Bunny

Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradrh View Post
Awesome.
It sounds like you shift w/o clutching, or did I miss a shift lever in the build there somewhere

Yes. I removed the clutch lever and only use the Rekcluse auto clutch. I love it combined with the left hand rear brake. It makes riding so easy that i feel like I'm cheating.
I shift using buttons on my handlebars.
I think clutches are over rated especially on 4strokes

Steve Mcqueen
Old 05-16-2013, 07:48 AM   #29
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,541
I don't want to know what is under that sock!
Old 05-16-2013, 08:52 AM   #30
silverboy OP
Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrod1318 View Post
I don't want to know what is under that sock!
One of the advantage of my injury is no feeling in my feet. There was a lot of blood and a crushed bone but I finished the ride:)

Steve Mcqueen