User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2011, 06:01 PM   #1
edstoll OP
OPD-2019

Oddometer: 275
Can you ride the TART with a broken ankle

We bought our grand daughter a car as she has now reached that age. The only problem was the car and I are in Iowa and the grand daughter is in New Mexico. I am thinking about how to get it there when BAM the opportunity hits me…. quite literally.

I now have the time off work to deliver the car but how do I get back home? That is where the adventure begins

Now I have my way home. I am not going to detail the trip to New Mexico because it was uneventful . One long day and the towing apparatus worked flawlessly.

My daughter has secured a set of crutches for me to use while I was there. My son in law was afflicted with the same handicap. We had a good time going to places together and hearing the comments.

The day after arrival I put the new tires on my bike and reassembled it. The day after that it was time for a ride in the Clovis New Mexico area. I went in a northerly direction and found quite a lot to see and ride.

Ute Lake

I will be back to do more of the report in a few minutes.
edstoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:38 PM   #2
TaZ9
Ultimate Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Gotta' hear how you and your son both were injured.

Riding with broken bones? My kinda' story. Also need some photos and details on your bike hauler. Looks very interesting. Hope you're recovery goes well.

Taz9
TaZ9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:01 PM   #3
poolman
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Oddometer: 712
edstoll,

I will be following as the journey unfolds and I'm betting the return trip will be a lot more interesting than the delivery (and a lot more than 836 miles)!

Are the screws and plate from a previous injury? When I've been repaired, the surgeons have never installed a cast over recent incisions in order to prevent infection.

Thank you for posting,

Sacred Valley of the Incas
Costa Rica Solo

poolman screwed with this post 10-09-2011 at 07:25 PM
poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:06 PM   #4
edstoll OP
OPD-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaZ9 View Post
Riding with broken bones? My kinda' story. Also need some photos and details on your bike hauler. Looks very interesting. Hope you're recovery goes well.

Taz9
Taz9 - I just fabbed up the "tow hitch" with a couple of 2 x 4's and some screws. Nothing special. Worked like a charm.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:08 PM   #5
edstoll OP
OPD-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolman View Post
edstoll,

I will be following as the journey unfolds and I'm betting the return trip will be a lot more interesting than the delivery (and a lot more than 836 miles).

Are the screws and plate from a previous injury? When repairing me, the surgeons have never installed a cast over recent incisions in order to prevent infection.

Thank you for posting,
Poolman - I had a dirt bike accident a couple weeks prior. I had a temporary wrap for a couple weeks and this cast was fresh as this trip begins.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:20 PM   #6
edstoll OP
OPD-2019

Here are some more pictures of my Clovis area day ride.

I hope you are enjoying this. It was a bigger pain in the rear to get pictures than normal because of my handicap. I had a cane laying between the bark busters. I would use it to lower the kickstand and get off the wrong side. I would hobble around with the cane and get pictures. Then it was back on the wrong side of the bike, use the cane to raise the kickstand and replace it on the bars.

Nice days ride.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:36 PM   #7
edstoll OP
OPD-2019

I got a big rusty nail in my new rear tire.
The old beat up cane was handy for more than me just getting around.
It served many purposes on this trip.

After a delightful couple of days with family it was time to begin the trek home. I had planned a route that would take me through rural Texas and Oklahoma before picking up the Trans Arkansas Adventure Trail. The TART the is gravel, dirt and paved route laid out north and south across Arkansas. I picked it up at Arkadelphia and road it north. It was a most enjoyable ride. The leaves were turning, the temperature was perfect and the skies were blue. It is truly great to be alive.

I rode quite a bit of this type road in Texas.

Big combines in this part of the country.

Found a few interesting things along the way.

Bob Wills hometown memorial.

Little did I know I was loosely following the Ozark Trail. Here is a monument and the road in front of it.

Lake Texoma is huge. There is a narrow part of it here to put a bridge near Mead Oklahoma.

Ended the day in Durant Oklahoma.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:00 PM   #8
edstoll OP
OPD-2019

Heading on over to Arkadelphia I found a few more thing to see.

Lake Hugo Dam

Got held up in Idabel Oklahoma for a parade. I lost count of the number of Queen candidates.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:02 PM   #9
TaZ9
Ultimate Adventurer

Gotta' love the DR650!

I see from you're ride reports that you have both a DL650 and the DR650. I live in Northern Colorado and have had just about every type of dual sport you can think of, and am currently on my second DR650. So far, I have found no one bike does it all, but the DR650 is a great compromise for doing lots of things really well. I have ridden the DL650 and often think it would be a good addition for longer highway rides. My problem is that evertime I start a ride, I find myself wandering further away from the pavement. Way to many side roads in the Southwest to pass up.

Good luck on all your rides.

Taz9
Old 10-09-2011, 08:23 PM   #10
edstoll OP
OPD-2019

Then I picked up The Trans Arkansas Adventure Trail ( TART) near Arkadelphia.

It got a little technical around Lake Winona.

Called it a day in Conway Arkansas.

I started the next day early (in the dark) I am going to try to make it home today. I came across a lot of things supporting the oil industry in this area.

I got to Clinton and had breakfast at Huddle House. The waitress was wearing a T-shirt that said “Red Neck Olympics hold my drink and watch this” It turns out the first annual Red Neck Olympics was to begin that day. I went to the fairgrounds because I had to have one of those shirts.

Riding the rest of the TART was beautiful.

This is a happy guy.

I cut off the TART at highway 125 because I have been wanting to cross the ferry at Bull Shoals.

It was a smooth ride A nice guy from Kansas took my picture as we crossed.

Arkansas has great motorcycle roads but so does Missouri.

I had heard about Glade top trail so I gave it a whorl. It was O.K. but just a graded gravel road.
There were some inviting looking trails leading off of it.

By now it was well after 1 p.m. and I had about 350 miles to go to get home. I took off up those Missouri “ lettered” highways . You know F, EE, G ect. I love those roads.

I high tail it home and got there well after dark. I hate riding in dark in deer country. It was a great trip and I am glad to be home.

The old girl is getting some miles on her but still no signs of weakening.

I hope you enjoyed the report. I sure enjoyed the ride.

edstoll screwed with this post 10-11-2011 at 12:01 PM
Old 10-09-2011, 08:29 PM   #11
edstoll OP
OPD-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaZ9 View Post
I see from you're ride reports that you have both a DL650 and the DR650. I live in Northern Colorado and have had just about every type of dual sport you can think of, and am currently on my second DR650. So far, I have found no one bike does it all, but the DR650 is a great compromise for doing lots of things really well. I have ridden the DL650 and often think it would be a good addition for longer highway rides. My problem is that evertime I start a ride, I find myself wandering further away from the pavement. Way to many side roads in the Southwest to pass up.

Good luck on all your rides.

Taz9
The bikes complement each other well. Both great bikes. The DL if I can keep off the more gnarly stuff is better for distance. The DR can truly do it all.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:58 PM   #12
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,318
Good job enjoyed reading & your pix.

I too am in the middle of a shoulder surgery rehab.
To old to keep pushing so hard in the tech area.

Keep the leg right so later is easier.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:50 AM   #13
Evomx971
Planning Next Ride

Oddometer: 236
Great report Ed, really liked the Arkansas section of the trip, love it down there.

Kelly
What Next Wander Tour http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853663
Evomx971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:47 AM   #14
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
I just had one of those.

But I also had one of these.

notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:57 AM   #15
TaZ9
Ultimate Adventurer

Great ride report!

I see from the photo that you have almost 32,000 miles on the DR. Any major mechanical issues or repairs in that time? Mine has about half that milage, so it's encouraging to know I can keep on riding for many more miles. I read where someone on this site has over 75,000 miles. Good bikes!

Thanks,

Taz9