User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2014, 10:45 PM   #1
bdonley OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
New Duc in da house!

Hi all - Saw this beastie on CL. 620 Multistrada Dark. Been fighting with bad wrists for a bit.Thinking my sportster was maybe not the best choice for me. Ex Bicycle racer, alot of wear . Broken both hands several times, and they've come back to bite me. Looked up tests on it. Hmm. Everybody said " superlight clutch". Ok then. We know it'll have much more brakes. Upright position, longer travel suspension. Known to be a pet rock in reliability. So, went and looked at it. Liked it a lot. Put the Sporty up fs. Had a buyer, I caved in, cancelled the sale. Couldn't do it. Had a long talk with myself and the ortho guy. Reality is, I won't get better. Best is to not make it worse. Then, hte Duc's seller called. He *really* want an FLH he had his eye on. If I brought cash the next day, he'd drop almost $1000 to $3500. Ok, then. Went straight to the bank. 7k on the bike. 1200 mile on full service. Factory recalls done by Pro Italia. Arrow exhaust system. New tires. Rizoma bars and risers. Track stand and tailbag. Went for an 80 mile, twisty intensive back road ride. My hands didn't hurt when I came home. I'm a happy boy! It's my 4th Duc, I know what I'm getting into. And, I'm really liking it. Now, to do something about those "chicken strips"......

bdonley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:32 PM   #2
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 1,907
Congratulations! Nice little Duc you have there. I really, REALLY missed my last one.

Hopefully I collect my new black 696 Monster in a few days........
Old 05-14-2014, 12:05 AM   #3
bdonley OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I liked my M750 a lot. Toured on it, did track days, never a failure or problem. 38k on it when I sold it. That's a lot of why I went into this one. Just has more suspension and leg room.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:23 AM   #4
round the block don
soreass

Oddometer: 129
38,000 miles without any problems is pretty darn good. Did you follow the service schedule exactly or did you extend the intervals a bit? New timing belts every two years regardless of mileage seems like overkill to me but what do I know?
round the block don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:28 AM   #5
bdonley OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soreass View Post
38,000 miles without any problems is pretty darn good. Did you follow the service schedule exactly or did you extend the intervals a bit? New timing belts every two years regardless of mileage seems like overkill to me but what do I know?
We extended things on the belts. Inspected them , and changed "when needed".Pil changes by the book. Amsoil synthetic.
Once they settled, the valves needed shimming pretty rarely. No electrical stuff went bad. I had a 650 S/S and 750 Paso previously. The both had reg/rec failures. Replaced them with Honda parts. A wheel bearing on the Paso. starter solonoid on the 650. That was all I can remember of the problems.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:31 AM   #6
BigBoPeep
The Bad Stenographer

Oddometer: 99
Keep an eye on that gas tank! I just sold my 1000 a month ago, and any problems I had with it were related to ethanol. Replaced it with a Concours 14 and, while that is a stonkin' spaceship of a motorcycle, it's not as comfortable or entertaining as the Multi.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:34 AM   #7
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,704
Cool, Daddyo.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:02 AM   #8
Kawasakirob
Flick the Bean

Oddometer: 385
That Arrow Exhaust looks great! Kind of like dual cannons shooting out the back.
Go Crutchlow #35
Go Hayden #69
Go Sykes #66
Go Stoner #27
Kawasakirob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:06 PM   #9
bdonley OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoPeep View Post
Keep an eye on that gas tank! I just sold my 1000 a month ago, and any problems I had with it were related to ethanol. Replaced it with a Concours 14 and, while that is a stonkin' spaceship of a motorcycle, it's not as comfortable or entertaining as the Multi.
Pro Italia changed it out for a new, coated one. If that fails, Ca Cycleworks is manufacturing replacements.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:43 PM   #10
1/2 Brit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Congrats on a great bike and deal!

I bought a new left-over '06 620 MS in '11 and got saddlebags thrown in for free!

I love it and it feels fast....super fun.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:44 PM   #11
BigBoPeep
The Bad Stenographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdonley View Post
Pro Italia changed it out for a new, coated one. If that fails, Ca Cycleworks is manufacturing replacements.
Yeah, I invested in the Ca Cycleworks project. Even though I sold the bike, I'm glad I helped get it off the ground. The Multi really is a unique bike. Part of me wants to look for an 1100, whenever the tank hits the market.

-
Old 05-14-2014, 05:55 PM   #12
pitbull
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,345
Very nice.

I've only ever owned monsters and ST ducatis, but I've always really liked the first gen multi's. I know a lot of people think they're ugly, but I like the look.

I rarely buy anything younger than 10 years old so another couple years and more and more older multis should come up for sale.
pitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:00 PM   #13
bdonley OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/2 Brit View Post
Congrats on a great bike and deal!

I bought a new left-over '06 620 MS in '11 and got saddlebags thrown in for free!
How do you like the bags? Does it widen it too much? Had a pair offered to me. A little high at $650, I think, but trying to decide if I want them at all.....
Old 05-14-2014, 07:02 PM   #14
bdonley OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbull View Post
Very nice.
I've only ever owned monsters and ST ducatis, but I've always really liked the first gen multi's. I know a lot of people think they're ugly, but I like the look..
I haven't been big on the Dark look, but ya know, it's really grown on me.....
Old 05-14-2014, 08:01 PM   #15
BigBoPeep
The Bad Stenographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdonley View Post
How do you like the bags? Does it widen it too much? Had a pair offered to me. A little high at $650, I think, but trying to decide if I want them at all.....
It seems like most people complain about them, but they worked well for me, and I used them all the time. They are pretty wide by themselves, but they integrate pretty well into the frame. I think they usually go for $500 used, with frame.

-