User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 11:01 AM   #256
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,197
The light dawns...

I missed it the first time I read the specs on the new 650R. I just re-read the Rider review of the bike. One of the major changes was a new perimeter frame that is narrower and stronger and:
  • They eliminated the twin tube rear subframe in favor of a central "backbone" subframe. There is no place to mount grab rails or panier frames because all of the supporting metal is down the centerline of the seat. Sometime I wish I knew how to read! Duh!
  • Bungie cord hooks are supposed to be back there somewhere, for what it is worth.
I hope that this helps, and that someone in the aftermarket comes up with a solution for luggage. You can't just weld on some bungs, because there is nothing to weld to along the outside edge. Those of you who own the bike, please keep us posted on what you end up doing. So far, Cortech soft luggage is on the top of my list. The specs say that there are bungie cord hooks under the rear to help stabilize a load. It remains to be seen how well they will function.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:57 PM   #257
Tim_Tom
Riding an' Wrenching

Oddometer: 182
I'm doing some research on this bike as I'm contemplating buying it before next season. The grab rail issue, while not imperative, is a bit important for luggage and passenger comfort. I found these pictures of the the frame and bike without body work which may help you get creative and figure out how to mount up some hard luggage. You may need to source a new rear cowl from a non-us market but it is possible to do.

The pics!

Notice that the back bone frame DOES expand to the perimeter at the rear of the bike, and could be used to mount stuff if you cut a hole or swapped the rear bodywork.

And for your dirty bastards wondering what the bike looks like with it's clothes off...

Enjoy.

Other side...

It would make a lovely naked if that radiator coolant tank wasn't so big and eye-catching....

Anyway hope this helps you guys around your 'no place to hold on in the back' fixation.
Tim_Tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #258
opmike
Choosing to be here.

Oddometer: 334
Yet another bike moving down my list as manufacturers seems oblivious to the concept that some of us actually want to carry more than a tank bag with us.

That seat strap is beyond useless. A set of grab rails or some unobtrusive studs/hooks would in no way ruin the look of the bike, and they would increase its utility immensely. The only rear attachment points I see in the updated images are some little loops on what is undoubtedly a plastic rear fender. God how I wish the new CBR500R was a 650 twin.
"you want to fix the Pledge of Allegiance, put a disclaimer at the end: with liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states."
opmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:29 AM   #259
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by opmike View Post
Yet another bike moving down my list as manufacturers seems oblivious to the concept that some of us actually want to carry more than a tank bag with us.
True.. but most buyers of 650R IMHO don't carry more..

From what I've seen on 3 different 650R forums (one of them is RIP I believe)
most owners who bought the 650R in 2006/07 when it came out were
kids wanting the 636 (ZX6R) who couldn't afford it.

3/4 of threads about modifications were about fitting ZX-R front ends &
brakes, and hundreds were about clipons.

Made me sick, and just confirmed that I bought the wrong kind of bike.

Considering how bad the rear shock was, even a mid sized topcase made
it wallow like mad.

For people who want to travel with 3 cases, there are better, smoother
choices (GSX650F/Bandit 650S, CBF600SA, even the FZ6).

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #260
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
For people who want to travel with 3 cases, there are better, smoother
choices (GSX650F/Bandit 650S, CBF600SA, even the FZ6).
Even the aftermarket have shunned the 650R - SW motech isn't even offering the soft, Bags-connection sidecases. Kawi seems to think people hauling luggage and/or passengers will opt for the Versys, Ninja 1000, or Concours 14.

In the USA, the only middleweight offering out of your list is the FZ6R, your XJ6 Diversion F. Though we do have the DL650, Tiger 800, NC700, etc that seem to have taken over the 'utility' middleweight class. A shame, really.

Makes the CB500F even more attractive by comparison, even with the power deficit.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:23 PM   #261
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
Even the aftermarket have shunned the 650R
So what do you want..that you (and others) would actually spend money on, that is.
Gary
Gas Hog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:56 PM   #262
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Hog View Post
So what do you want..that you (and others) would actually spend money on, that is.
Gary
Just luggage, mostly. My '06 had sliders, a Kawasaki accessory +1" seat, GPS & mount, and full Givi mounts and cases.

The fact of the matter is, that is 80+200+400+1100=1800 dollars worth of stuff on what, at the time was a 6600 dollar bike. People buying a 'cheap' bike tend not to be touring on them. I understand why they do what they do, and that I was in the minority. That's the game, right? We try to buy the bike that we want and make it do what we need.

Just seems incredible that the bike is offered in other markets with the factory grab handes/luggage mounts and north america doesn't get them. What did they save, twenty bucks?
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:02 AM   #263
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Even the aftermarket have shunned the 650R - SW motech isn't even offering the soft, Bags-connection sidecases. Kawi seems to think people hauling luggage and/or passengers will opt for the Versys, Ninja 1000, or Concours 14.

In the USA, the only middleweight offering out of your list is the FZ6R, your XJ6 Diversion F.
That's also probably better then the Ninja 650, but the FZ6S2 was what I meant, the 98hp Fazer.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
Old 11-28-2012, 01:04 AM   #264
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Just luggage, mostly. My '06 had sliders, a Kawasaki accessory +1" seat, GPS & mount, and full Givi mounts and cases.

The fact of the matter is, that is 80+200+400+1100=1800 dollars worth of stuff on what, at the time was a 6600 dollar bike. People buying a 'cheap' bike tend not to be touring on them. I understand why they do what they do, and that I was in the minority. That's the game, right? We try to buy the bike that we want and make it do what we need.

Just seems incredible that the bike is offered in other markets with the factory grab handes/luggage mounts and north america doesn't get them. What did they save, twenty bucks?
+1

Mine had grab rails and they worked great, says the GF.

Kawasaki ER-6F night shot.. by Cortez_CRO, on Flickr

Night shot.. by Cortez_CRO, on Flickr

Old 11-28-2012, 05:21 AM   #265
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 902
Quote:
That's the game, right? We try to buy the bike that we want and make it do what we need.
That is exactly right. Its up to us in the aftermarket to fill the need.
I have always thought of a new bike as a starting point..never the finished product.
Gary
Gas Hog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:06 AM   #266
Ninja Dan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
I purchased my Ninja this September. Really nice bike so far. Having updated from a 30 year old bike I had thought the luggage options would have been better. Still rockin' my Cortech soft bags for now.

Ninja Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:09 PM   #267
antwon412
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
The SW-Motech Blaze system will work for our bikes. You just have to purchase the set designed for the Er-6n.

I think I will go that route for mine instead of buying Givi mounts and drilling the plastics and subframe.
antwon412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:51 AM   #268
Ninja Dan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Thanks for the tip on the Blaze system, maybe I will give that a try next year. For the most part the Cortech Sport Bag system works okay. Not really good in very heavy rain but otherwise good, they are secure, easy to mount and sit on the bike without too much fuss or sagging in on the sides.

Ninja Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:04 AM   #269
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Tom View Post

That is pure design artistry! Kudos to Kawi, they have put steel (weight) only where it's needed & nothing where it's not. This frame should be shown @ MOMA.
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #270
Cortez
BAZINGA!

I'd love to try the new 650R and compare it to my 1st gen and see if any
of the differences over the years did anything to make the bike better.

Vibrations, brakes and suspension were my complaints.

Now I know that they did some vibration treatment.. but
other stuff.. probably not. That cheapo Honda NC700 has
better brakes and is a front disc shy!

270 deg firing order might do it some good too?