Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #271
Tim_Tom
Riding an' Wrenching

Oddometer: 211
I'm glad someone else likes that frame design as much as I do. It really is very nicely done.

Cortez, they reportedly stiffened the suspension since the 1st gen and have reduced almost all of the vibrations. Even the seat and handlebars are rubber mounted for this. Brakes from what I've read are adequate but not supersport harsh.

Almost all Japanese bikes are undersprung from the factory. Unless you are like me, and fit the 135 lb test rider weight, the suspension will feel too soft. Still not to hard to fix with some stiffer springs though. Also I believe they are pre-load adjustable front and back so that may help too.

I'm just waiting for the demo truck to roll around so I can get a test ride before committing to buy one. That and I need to see the SFV650 in person and find out if it's worth it or not.
Tim_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:35 AM   #272
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Tom View Post
I'm glad someone else likes that frame design as much as I do. It really is very nicely done.

Cortez, they reportedly stiffened the suspension since the 1st gen and have reduced almost all of the vibrations. Even the seat and handlebars are rubber mounted for this. Brakes from what I've read are adequate but not supersport harsh.

Almost all Japanese bikes are undersprung from the factory. Unless you are like me, and fit the 135 lb test rider weight, the suspension will feel too soft. Still not to hard to fix with some stiffer springs though. Also I believe they are pre-load adjustable front and back so that may help too.

I'm just waiting for the demo truck to roll around so I can get a test ride before committing to buy one. That and I need to see the SFV650 in person and find out if it's worth it or not.
I always figured the SFV was a "level up" from the ER6n/Ninja.

The preload on my 2007 was set at 6/7 for my 200lbs posterior and
even then it would bottom out over road imperfections while on the
power.

7/7 was bouncy, but helped with a passanger.

Either way, it probably IS meant for a person like you.
I'd love to try the latest naked version.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:59 AM   #273
Tim_Tom
Riding an' Wrenching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
I always figured the SFV was a "level up" from the ER6n/Ninja.

The preload on my 2007 was set at 6/7 for my 200lbs posterior and
even then it would bottom out over road imperfections while on the
power.

7/7 was bouncy, but helped with a passanger.

Either way, it probably IS meant for a person like you.
I'd love to try the latest naked version.
One of the perks of being a skinny little fucker I guess . Japanese suspension from the factory is set up for me!

I like the looks of the SFV more than the Ninja (I know, it's an 'ugly' bike, but I think the SFV looks fantastic, but I prefer naked to a faired bike). If Kawasaki was bringing in the redesigned ER6n naked to the US I would much rather have that than the faired Ninja. As it stands this is unlikely to happen, so I'm between the Zook and the Kaw. I thought about the Versys, but didn't feel comfortable sitting on it, so that's not a front runner.

The Suzuki makes more power and a much better noise, and is probably a bit sportier than the Kaw. Both can do 150 miles to a tank without hitting reserve so that's fine. I like the Suzuki's gear indicator (I've been spoiled by always owning bikes with one). Sat on the Kaw and it felt perfect for my size and shape, haven't sat on the Suzuki yet so I don't know what it feels like. The back seat on the Ninja looks more comfortable, but the Suzuki has GRAB RAILS stock so that might even out a bit. I have a lovely passenger who likes to ride with me, so it's important she is comfortable too. The Kaw has optional ABS brakes with I like the idea of quite a bit. The MSRP of the ABS Ninja and SFV are exactly the same so that's a toss up.

I keep going back and forth between the two bikes and I think ultimately it will come down to which one pushes my emotional buttons more. With it's V-Twin song I think the Suzuki has a slight advantage there, but I don't know for sure yet. I need it to be January so I can go to the Bike Show and get to the bottom of this!

Sorry to discuss to much Suzuki in the Kaw thread, but since it's the bikes main competitor I figure it's not so much a derail?
Old 12-10-2012, 11:02 AM   #274
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Suzuki is probably the better built bike here, I like the looks of it (in normal
colors) better too.. however, the Kawi IMHO with it's rev happy parallel twin
should be the sportier of the two (by feel/character, not actually faster).

..and I'm never buying a faired bike again after owning the 650R.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
Old 12-10-2012, 06:00 PM   #275
Tim_Tom
Riding an' Wrenching

Quote:
Suzuki is probably the better built bike here
Why do you say the Zook is better built? Previous reliability of the SV motors and frames? Or is there an issue with the Kawasaki's quality?

Found an old review from 2009 about the SFV650 vs the ER6n. During the Kaw video the rider was nitpicking all these little details he didn't like. During the SFV video he just kept saying how fun it was and how great that motor is.

For any other interested parties out there here is the review:
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/8/3654...i-Gladius.aspx
Old 12-11-2012, 01:43 AM   #276
Cortez
BAZINGA!

I talking about small things, finishing touches.

My kawasaki buzzed and rattled all over the place, and was told by dealers
and other kawasaki owners that this is normal, and the reason why they're
usually the cheapest of the 4 jap brands.

The SVF seems built like a tank compared to the ER6.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:36 AM   #277
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 942
Quote:
and was told by dealers
and other kawasaki owners that this is normal, and the reason why they're
usually the cheapest of the 4 jap brands.
Yea..they were wrong..but it is a myth that is passed on by keyboards quite a bit.

Its hard to believe that a vehicle that the motor weighs as much or more that the rest of the components combined..sits inches from your Johnson..goes over 100 mph..on two wheels with a contact patch the size of a pack of cigarettes..vibrates..
..I just don't buy it
Gary
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:42 AM   #278
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Hog View Post
Yea..they were wrong..but it is a myth that is passed on by keyboards quite a bit.
I owned the bike for 5 years and put 20k miles on it.
No myth IMHO.

And I've tried a lot of other bikes in it's class during that time.
Every single one was better in some way or another.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:59 AM   #279
cls
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
A lot of personal taste and intangibles here, no doubt. The Kawi (a lot of them) tends to rattle and buzz w/regularity for many. I still much preferred it over the SV. They make different bikes for a reason. Good time to be a rider. Pick and choose.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:45 AM   #280
Ninja Dan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
I really like my Ninja 650 overall but that SV650 motor is one of the best. Nothing wrong with the Ninja motor it just isn't as visceral as the Suzuki.
Ninja Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:19 AM   #281
Tim_Tom
Riding an' Wrenching

Quote:
Originally Posted by cls View Post
A lot of personal taste and intangibles here, no doubt. The Kawi (a lot of them) tends to rattle and buzz w/regularity for many. I still much preferred it over the SV. They make different bikes for a reason. Good time to be a rider. Pick and choose.
Absolutely right. These two bikes are so close in specs yet so different in reality. Only really way to be sure which one fits the rider better is to ride them both!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dan View Post
I really like my Ninja 650 overall but that SV650 motor is one of the best. Nothing wrong with the Ninja motor it just isn't as visceral as the Suzuki.
Can you describe the ninja's motor characteristics? I've ridden a first gen SV and a '12 Wee so I have a good idea of what to expect from an SFV but I've never had the chance to ride the Kaw 650.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:06 AM   #282
cls
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Quote:
Can you describe the ninja's motor characteristics? I've ridden a first gen SV and a '12 Wee so I have a good idea of what to expect from an SFV but I've never had the chance to ride the Kaw 650.
If I can throw in my 2 cents' worth: the Ninja feels more torquey and workman-like, while the SV feels more revvy and sporty. It made the Ninja preferable for the public road bike I wanted, whereas the SV always felt like it was trying too hard and didn't quite have enough to pull it off. This is strictly my take on it and may not make sense to anyone else. The SV has a wickedly good motor. The delivery and the feel just didn't come across for what I wanted in this kind of bike. If I'm going sporty/performance, I want big-bore. If that helps, great; if not, pretend it never happened.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:19 AM   #283
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
According to wiki the ex650 starting in 12 is up by 5+ hp,and 2+ on torque ,lower rpms ,lower cr, so some work has been done on this bike all around.
yokesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:07 AM   #284
Tim_Tom
Riding an' Wrenching

Quote:
Originally Posted by cls View Post
If I can throw in my 2 cents' worth: the Ninja feels more torquey and workman-like, while the SV feels more revvy and sporty.
Thank you for your input. Much appreciated. Interesting that you saw the Kaw motor has the low end grunt, and the Zook motor likes to rev. Due to the engines layout (parallel vs V-twin) I'd think that the opposite would be the case, but what do I know right??

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokesman View Post
According to wiki the ex650 starting in 12 is up by 5+ hp,and 2+ on torque ,lower rpms ,lower cr, so some work has been done on this bike all around.
These power gains are over the previous model Ninja correct? From my research the SFV power and '12 Ninja 650 power and torque figures are nearly identical. With the Kaw putting out 1-2 more ft/lbs while the SV has 1-2 more HP.

And just because I like naked frames here is the Suzuki's.

VERY Monster-like don't you think??
Old 12-11-2012, 09:45 AM   #285
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Absolutely right. These two bikes are so close in specs yet so different in reality. Only really way to be sure which one fits the rider better is to ride them both!

It's got a bit less grunt up to about 6000 revs, then has a nice 7000-9000
kick like an inline 4. Doesn't feel as lumpy. Feels like it has less torque.