Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 01:47 PM   #361
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by versysrider View Post
That might be your opinion but it sure isn't mine,
Your bike looks quite nice, but it's a far cry from stock. The 2nd gen ER6n (I don't think we got the first one, right?) has a headlight only a mother could love, I rank it right up there with the Gladius/SFV650 headlight. The rest of the bike is fine, but that thing on the front, ugh.
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:30 PM   #362
versysrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0diabl0 View Post
Your bike looks quite nice, but it's a far cry from stock. The 2nd gen ER6n (I don't think we got the first one, right?) has a headlight only a mother could love, I rank it right up there with the Gladius/SFV650 headlight. The rest of the bike is fine, but that thing on the front, ugh.
True, none of my bikes seem to stay stock for long. You are correct, we did not get the first gen ER-6N. For me the headlight on the Gladius is one of it's better features, I do not like the styling on that bike at all, and I believe the sales of it prove that they should have kept the old design, as well as the ''S'' model. Both bikes sold very well, and were universally loved. I put quite a few miles on my sons old sv-650, and had an sv-1000. Loved the 1000 engine, but aside from wheelies, the 650 was more fun to ride, that's how I ended up with all of my Kawi 650's. Suzuki really shot themselves in the foot by discontinuing the sv-650 line, if they were smart they would bring them back with updated suspension, brakes and a mild restyle in 650 and 900cc engine sizes. Then I wouldn't have to build my own bike.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:00 PM   #363
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,324
hi guys

i am shopping bikes as some of you readers may know. right now i am focused on the Suzuki SV650 and Yamaha FZ6. i am getting enough info on those here on the board. but what of the Ninja 650? of any model year. should i put it on my list? is it "up to snuff" with those other two bikes reliability wise? durability, as well?

i have seen a good many post where SV's and FZ6's have lots and lots of trouble free miles on them. but a quick search of the internet doesn't turn up many Ninja 650's with 70,000 miles on them, etc. and in my research many reviewers comment on the vibrations the Ninja emits at highway speeds and say its a less refined bike overall with average at best build quality, and materials used

what say you all about the Ninja 650 throughout the years? how does it compare to the SV650 and FZ6, all other things being equal?

also i am 6'3 and 240lbs. if that would make a difference?

thanks!
Old 02-27-2014, 10:29 PM   #364
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

wow. perusing ads for this bike i don't think i have come across any other bike where the ad says "bike has been dropped one time" as much. and even some regular wear ones look sort of...worn

seems this is a very popular "first bike" for many. cosmetic damage abounds!!

EDIT: how do some of you feel about this bike? 24,000 miles, comes with luggage system, custom seat? these bikes run reliably to 75000 miles+ like the SV650 and FZ6's?

http://ventura.craigslist.org/mcy/4342592796.html

DudeClone screwed with this post 02-27-2014 at 10:42 PM
DudeClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:58 AM   #365
Ninja Dan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
hi guys

i am shopping bikes as some of you readers may know. right now i am focused on the Suzuki SV650 and Yamaha FZ6. i am getting enough info on those here on the board. but what of the Ninja 650? of any model year. should i put it on my list? is it "up to snuff" with those other two bikes reliability wise? durability, as well?

i have seen a good many post where SV's and FZ6's have lots and lots of trouble free miles on them. but a quick search of the internet doesn't turn up many Ninja 650's with 70,000 miles on them, etc. and in my research many reviewers comment on the vibrations the Ninja emits at highway speeds and say its a less refined bike overall with average at best build quality, and materials used

what say you all about the Ninja 650 throughout the years? how does it compare to the SV650 and FZ6, all other things being equal?

also i am 6'3 and 240lbs. if that would make a difference?

thanks!
I think you should go to a dealer or seller and sit on a Ninja 650. You may be a bit too tall to be comfortable on the bike.

My opinion, as a Ninja 650 owner, is that the bike is quite good. Agree with many of your statements, the motor isn't as refined as the Yamaha's or as throaty as the SV's but it's rock solid from a maintenance standpoint. Granted I only have 9,000 miles so far but other riders on Kawasaki forums report high mileage with minimal fuss for their bikes.

I looked at all the same bikes you listed. My quick thoughts.

SV650 - Love the motor, my favorite of the bunch. Wanted a fairing but didn't want clip-ons so I dismissed the bike.

Yamaha FZ6 - Just about perfect, better built than the rest with aluminum frame and superior suspension. Very high revving and not suited for my kind of riding, the motor would be wasted on me.

Yamaha FZ6r - Ergos were great for me and the bike was quite nice with a very refined motor. Thought it was quite ugly and some parts looked cheap.

Ninja 650 - Very comfortable, good useable power from the motor. Motor sounds coarse. Vibes have been greatly reduced for the 2012 update as well as the fit and finish of the parts.

I chose the Ninja as it ticked most of the boxes. It handles really well, has great fuel range and economy (I get 58 mpg, most other riders get less), comfortable, 7500 mile maintenance interval and I really like the looks. And that paint job... love the green!

And for whatever reason, I did drop my bike once... I'm not even a beginning rider. Ninja's must be susceptible to gravity.
Ninja Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:31 AM   #366
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dan View Post
I think you should go to a dealer or seller and sit on a Ninja 650. You may be a bit too tall to be comfortable on the bike.
+1

I'm 5'11", and always figured if I should have gone the Versys route which
is roomier. The 650R is on the small side of things. I feel more comfortable
on the FZ6 (and other then low down torque it's a better bike in every way).

I've done 20k miles on my 650R with no problems, sold it because of
vibrations, but that's supposedly better on newer models.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:00 AM   #367
Skooter
people suck

Oddometer: 289
If I were 6'3" I would've gotten an NC700 or Versys. Nothing against the Ninja, I love it, but one of my reasons for getting it is it's easier for me to handle in tight quarters, such as backing out of the garage with 3 inches to spare on either side.

Does NOT feel topheavy like my old KLR, if that's any indication. Hate that feeling.
Skooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:02 AM   #368
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skooter View Post
If I were 6'3" I would've gotten an NC700 or Versys. Nothing against the Ninja, I love it, but one of my reasons for getting it is it's easier for me to handle in tight quarters, such as backing out of the garage with 3 inches to spare on either side.

Does NOT feel topheavy like my old KLR, if that's any indication. Hate that feeling.
Yeah, that's a big plus on the 650R and even more so on the NC700X,
they feel lighter then they are, unlike my FZ6 now.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
Old 02-28-2014, 06:08 AM   #369
Skooter
people suck

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Yeah, that's a big plus on the 650R and even more so on the NC700X,
they feel lighter then they are, unlike my FZ6 now.
NC700 and Versys footpegs both gouge my calves when flat footing/squeezing it in/out of garage, etc. But gosh, lovethat NC700.
Skooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:11 AM   #370
Ninja Dan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
If you are a bigger guy than most and you like the 650 displacement motor consider finding a used Suzuki GSX650F, they stopped selling them in the US in 2009. Physically they are much larger than any of the bikes you are considering but you may be more comfortable with the GSX considering your height.

Built off the platform of the old Suzuki Bandit it is considered very reliable and all around good bike. Definitely on par with the Ninja 650, SV650 and the FZ6r. Suzuki currently sells a 1250cc version of the bike. Google reviews for the GSX650F and you will find many positive comments, the biggest negative being it's weight.

Ninja Dan screwed with this post 02-28-2014 at 06:19 AM
Ninja Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:14 AM   #371
Cortez
BAZINGA!

+1 for the GSX650F, it would be my choice in this category (or the Bandits
if available).

Old 02-28-2014, 08:09 AM   #372
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,699
My '06 650R wasn't the most well-made thing... chintzy fairing clips that broke and stripped, various fasteners that corroded quickly, muffler packing loosened up and became pretty loud within a couple of years.

My FZ6 (also an '06) is in better shape now with 55k miles than the 650R was after three years and 25k miles.

Agree about the GSX650F. Probably the pick of the litter for a bigger guy, though you could always buy a wee strom (gasp!) and put street tires, fairing lowers, and stiffen up the suspension.

That's a DL1000 V-Strom that a big monkey I know used to have, then 6th gen VFR and my old 650R. the 650R is a little further away but you can see the size difference. I later went with a factory option +1" seat on my 650R and the legroom was still tight with my 33" inseam.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:43 AM   #373
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,272
Where's The 650 Ninja Thread?

I thought that was one of Kawasaki's best selling bikes.......

There was a 2012 thread once that didn't get much action.

Seems weird.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:21 AM   #374
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

yeah, where is that sucker

i am going to speculate many riders move on from the Ninja sort of quickly, and many a Ninja ends up salvaged / dropped or a lower mileage dead horse as its a very popular "first bike." or a second. seems the Versys is a more popular "Ninja" and has a big thread here, as well as the 300. but sometimes it seems from what i read the 650 is lost in the marketplace as an oddball "beginner bike" that beginners think is the shit, and then discover its not and move on

i got this impression when researching the bike for possible purchase. even on the Kawi forums i was reading posts where the most miles put on these bikes were maybe....15,000? and owners considered that a lot. and the bikes seemed to have more issues then some others, from mechanical to the hardware

also in shopping them the resale value was the lowest in the private party sector for its class, and i had not run into as many "bike has been dropped" ads for other bikes in all my looking!

reviews seem to be lukewarm on the bike, and the riding position cramped. so i have read....

all this is just specualtion based on my breif research. it just does not seem a popular bike to own or use for too long. maybe i am wrong?

any happy (no, overjoyed) Ninja 650 owners out there who just LOVE(D) the bike?

and where is that thread?!
Old 05-18-2014, 07:08 AM   #375
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 621
at work, seems to be a popular sport touring bike when set up.