Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwade View Post
ghostdncr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:16 PM   #77
southwade
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oddometer: 1,599
lol. My lens had been acting up back then. It's was cold out and I didn't feel like fiddling with it, so I just snapped the shot and continued home.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:25 PM   #78
ghostdncr
Burnin' daylight...

Seriously, I really like the effect. Some photos seem to work better with a little added distortion like that, whereas perfectly lighted and razor sharp it would just be a bike sitting at a gas pump.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #79
RydRy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
beautiful got mine week before you and then had a lady pull in front of me and without abs the bike just slid away and at 25mph- bad deal they totalled it haa- bought a ducati with abs hopefully round two is better :) best luck this bike is fabulous indeed great riding position, looks (I took off the dumb ninja stickers) and a fast little sucker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
Got a 2012 650 last friday and put 400 miles on it so far

Couldn't be happier with the bike.

So here's mine, where's yours???

Saying hi to the internet

RydRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:23 PM   #80
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostdncr View Post
Sharp bike! Mine's still in west Texas, but may actually get picked up for delivery next week!

how do I like... get one of those?

so whats the Cliff Notes on these 650 twins?

Was the Versys an off shoot of an already existing twin Ninja?

How long has this twin been on the market?

Are the Versys/Ninja twins basically the same engine?

Is the 650 Ninja as aggressive ergo's as a 4 cyl ZX6?

thank you.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #81
supervision
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Flug, the thread is called "Some Assembly Required", The bike is 649hp?? Popular thread, Also, shit head, check out ron pecks xs 650, fresh build
supervision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #82
pachap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Quote:
Sharp bike! Mine's still in west Texas, but may actually get picked up for delivery next week!

This is monster that should not be!
This picture cracks me up. That is an awesome bike. Man the best thing about motorcycles is making them do things they aren't supposed to do. I can see myself raping and pillaging the countryside on this thing. Camelback filled with Stoli and cranberry and I'd be ready to go.

On a somewhat serious note, what cases are those? Will be getting a Versys soon and while I am leaning toward some Givis I am trying to look at all my options.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:55 AM   #83
ghostdncr
Burnin' daylight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
how do I like... get one of those?
An inmate from west Texas built this one and the cool thing is, it doesn't appear to have taken eighteen months in a machine shop to do it! The tires are Kenda Big Blocks on the stock 650R wheels and all the lower fairings have been removed. A radiator guard and engine case guards have taken the place of the plastic. Not sure about the windshield, but I plan to do a thorough write-up of the nuts and bolts of this build in order to document how you get from a stock 650R to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachap View Post
On a somewhat serious note, what cases are those?
Those are Pelican cases. If you're not familiar with them, they're a waterproof military-grade transport case made from very thick glass-filled nylon. They are nearly unbreakable and hold up quite well to sliding along the road with a motorcycle lying on top of them! Most retailers list cases in this size around $200 USD but with some shopping around, they can be found for a little over half that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachap View Post
I can see myself raping and pillaging the countryside on this thing. Camelback filled with Stoli and cranberry and I'd be ready to go.
Thanks for even more signature material!
Old 04-07-2012, 05:18 AM   #84
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
So here's mine, where's yours???
Sold! Thankfully..

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:47 AM   #85
RydRy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
haaaaaaa- yeah that aint right
RydRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:12 AM   #86
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
An inmate from west Texas built this one and the cool thing is, it doesn't appear to have taken eighteen months in a machine shop to do it! The tires are Kenda Big Blocks on the stock 650R wheels and all the lower fairings have been removed. A radiator guard and engine case guards have taken the place of the plastic. Not sure about the windshield, but I plan to do a thorough write-up of the nuts and bolts of this build in order to document how you get from a stock 650R to thi
I'd seen that thread before. didn't look like the same bike. looks like multiple builds in there. is the Versys the preferred donor or is the versys twin and the niinja twin identical.

do you know if any of the work that was done to the ninja that won the 2010 Indy mile flat track find it's way down to the consumer level and possibly these builds?
Old 04-07-2012, 06:21 AM   #87
ghostdncr
Burnin' daylight...

Quote:
I'd seen that thread before. didn't look like the same bike. looks like multiple builds in there. is the Versys the preferred donor or is the versys twin and the niinja twin identical.
I think some have confused this bike with the one built by jdrocks and while similar, jd did some extensive machining and fab work on his. This one doesn't appear to have gone under the knife like that.

I think the main difference between a 650R and Versys is the gas tank, which on the Versys is one gallon larger. It will bolt right onto the 650R, they tell me.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:24 AM   #88
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
I think some have confused this bike with the one built by jdrocks and while similar, jd did some extensive machining and fab work on his. This one doesn't appear to have gone under the knife like that.

I think the main difference between a 650R and Versys is the gas tank, which on the Versys is one gallon larger. It will bolt right onto the 650R, they tell me.
well what is this one? a stock bike with Kenda's, pelican cases, and the fairing?

forks and handlebars stock?
Old 04-07-2012, 09:12 AM   #89
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
well what is this one? a stock bike with Kenda's, pelican cases, and the fairing?

forks and handlebars stock?
Looks like the stock Ninja 650r forks. Tires look like TKC 80s. The front fender has been raised. Touring windscreen. Most of the body fairing was cut away and SW Motech crash bars and skid plate look to be installed along with a rad guard. Handlebars look similar to stock but I think they might be a bit wider, hard to tell. Mirrors are bar mounted instead of fairing mounted. SW Motech rear rack, probably their side racks too but cant tell from this pic. Pelicans all around. I think I got everything

edit: almost forgot the seat pad/cover!
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:22 AM   #90
ghostdncr
Burnin' daylight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0diabl0 View Post
Looks like the stock Ninja 650r forks. Tires look like TKC 80s. The front fender has been raised. Touring windscreen. Most of the body fairing was cut away and SW Motech crash bars and skid plate look to be installed along with a rad guard. Handlebars look similar to stock but I think they might be a bit wider, hard to tell. Mirrors are bar mounted instead of fairing mounted. SW Motech rear rack, probably their side racks too but cant tell from this pic. Pelicans all around. I think I got everything

edit: almost forgot the seat pad/cover!
Not sure if the bars are stock, but they have been raised approximately 1.5 inches. The tires are Kendas, which are so similar to the TKC80 you have to count the lugs to differentiate between the two. What I think is coolest about this bike is that anyone with basic hand tools can build one. You don't need a CNC mill and a tig welder to put one together and that's why I'm planning to document all the details in case anyone else wants to go down this path.