User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2011, 07:12 AM   #46
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,951
Thumb

....if you mod the drain tank on a 950/990 oil changes can be a snap. Check the Orange Crush section. You only have to remove he left tank to get to the drain plug. If you install a drain hose down to where it's accessable, then it's a cinch.
Ditto the KTM Adventure as a do it all. A few tweaks and it's a keeper.

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:34 AM   #47
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,420
You need a new list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecMyrddyn View Post
(

BMW R1200R
  • BMW R1200GS
  • Triumph Tiger 1050
  • Ducati Multistrada
  • and... (what else would you suggest?)
-Alec
None of the above listed bikes are what I would put on a: "Looking for the "perfect" all-arounder" List.

The 800 XC or the 800 GS would be close to the mark with such a description.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:59 AM   #48
hawideri
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Cool2

looking at your list....I would go for the bmw hp2 megamoto. Can be customized to fit any rider needs, but the stock version is already superb. Everybody I met things it is a great bike.. ant don't think you have to be skilled/experienced to ride one. It is a bmw boxer, anybody can ride it with eas.
hawideri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:37 AM   #49
passing through
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Unfortunately, the designers/engineers don't generally take us "dimensionally diverse" folks into account when the ADV-style bikes are on the drawing boards. I'm not much taller than you, and although I am very happy with my Multistrada, I wouldn't recommend it to you based on your criteria. Putting even one foot down solidly is a stretch for me, and with a passenger it gets a bit dodgy in stop-and-go traffic.
Good luck with the search and please let us know what you end up with and why. There are lots of us looking for alternatives.
passing through is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:19 AM   #50
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by passing through View Post
Unfortunately, the designers/engineers don't generally take us "dimensionally diverse" folks into account when the ADV-style bikes are on the drawing boards. I'm not much taller than you, and although I am very happy with my Multistrada, I wouldn't recommend it to you based on your criteria. Putting even one foot down solidly is a stretch for me, and with a passenger it gets a bit dodgy in stop-and-go traffic. //.
That's not true. Designers are pinching the front of the saddle and back of the fuel tank, and in some cases even sloping the saddle down at the front to enable shorter riders to buy their motorcycles. And low seat options have spread from BMW to most of the models available.

Taking the example of the 2012 V-Strom:

Quote:
At a claimed 32.9 inches, the thickly padded saddle is more than a half-inch taller than before (Suzuki offers 20mm-lower and -higher accessory seats, as well). But because the front of the seat has been reshaped, even with my 32-inch inseam, I had no trouble getting both boots firmly planted on the ground at stops. The seating position provides a relaxed bend at the knees, while the interface with the 5.3-gallon fuel tank is much better than on the previous model.
So the V-Strom is actually a 1/4" lower (with the low seat) and much narrower at the front than the previous model. That said, with the OP's height and inseam all those bikes may be too tall.

You can't have large diameter front wheels, lots of ground clearance, lots of cornering clearance, and a low seat height. Riding a sport bike or a standard after riding an adventure-style bike feels like riding a missile, because the weight is lower and more centralized. But those bikes sacrifice leg room, since the saddles are lower but the pegs may even be higher.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:14 PM   #51
philbytx
Friendly curmudgeon

Oddometer: 49
R1100RA - If you can find one!

In this climate, try saving some dosh and go for a pre-loved 2000 R1100RA..

Last year of the model, ideal for your size and inseam. comfortable for pillion plus has hard luggage and good wind protection available. Dependable, handles great and easy as heck to work on....

Oh! And it easily handles dirt roads.....

philbytx screwed with this post 10-23-2011 at 05:15 PM Reason: Add data
philbytx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:57 AM   #52
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,735
What is the difference between R1100R and R100RA?

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:13 AM   #53
philbytx
Friendly curmudgeon

Oddometer: 49
Its the ABS version....

As R1100R's don't come standard with ABS, you add the A at the end to denote with ABS
philbytx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:52 PM   #54
Falcon4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
+1 on the Tiger 800.
I like the look of that 800, but I felt the KTM SMT was much better and more powerful for close to the same $$.
I've loved the SMT as my all rounder.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #55
AlecMyrddyn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Update on Feb 20, 2012:

Since I created this thread a few months ago, I've had a chance to do a ton of research, sit on a few bikes, and even test ride one!

Until I get a chance to test ride a few more, I'm trying not to make a decision. I don't want to end up with a bike that in the long run I won't be happy with. Updates to the list since then:

1. Multistrada 1200 S-Touring: Test ridden two-up November, 2011. Tall. Great riding position. Tall. Heated grips nearly left grill-marks on the palms of my hand set to medium. Did I mention it was tall? Tires and road were cold so I was being gentle on the throttle, so I didn't get a good sense of the engine. Wind protection was good. My girlfriend didn't like the vibrations in the passenger seat. In the end, I don't think I can get past the height + price, despite being offered a killer deal on a '11 leftover. Probably off the list, but I'll give it another ride this spring and keep an eye out for a used one to hit the market if I can get past the height.
  2. Ninja 1000: Saw one in person for the first time February 2012. No test ride yet. The edges of the seat cut into the backs of my legs. Sounds like a common complaint, easy to replace. Bars were a little more forward than I think I want; that's harder to adjust. Still worried about its weeny alternator. Still, this bike really does it for me in the looks department. Need to at least test ride it.
  3. Suzuki GSX1250FA: Sat on this one as well. Very comfy for both me and my girlfriend! Definitely need to test ride it. Awesome deal available until the end of March: 0% financing + $199 for the side panniers. At 567 lbs wet, I'm worried it won't be significantly different feeling than the FJR. From reading, it seems reviewers have a hard time trying to praise the bike due to the weight and peak HP (97 from a 1255 mill?); though it is an absolute torque monster. Smallish tank, early gas light. There's a ton that tells me this bike might be a lot of fun at a great price, but somehow there's just absolutely no spark happening...
  4. BMW R1200R: Still top of my list in terms of bike-lust based on looks, specs and from sitting on it. As of yet, still haven't test ridden one. I love the styling, and I have wanted an R for years. Still tough to swallow the $15k price tag before adding $1,500 in luggage. Hard to find any used, especially the new '11+ cam-head. If I still like it as much as I think I do after the test ride, I can start searching for one.
At this point, any of the ADV bikes are probably off the list due to the seat height issues. R1200GS, Tiger 800, Tiger 1050 SE... I'll still have to try them to make sure.

I'm reaching a point of having too much information and needing to step back and as objectively as possible ride the bikes and see which I'll be most comfortable on... At the same time, some of motorcycling is about the emotions it brings out, so should I really try to force myself to feel passion about a bike that does nothing for me?

Keep any suggestions coming!

-Alec
AlecMyrddyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #56
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,767
Quote:
Update on Feb 20, 2012:

Since I created this thread a few months ago, I've had a chance to do a ton of research, sit on a few bikes, and even test ride one!

Until I get a chance to test ride a few more, I'm trying not to make a decision. I don't want to end up with a bike that in the long run I won't be happy with. Updates to the list since then:

1. Multistrada 1200 S-Touring: Test ridden two-up November, 2011. Tall. Great riding position. Tall. Heated grips nearly left grill-marks on the palms of my hand set to medium. Did I mention it was tall? Tires and road were cold so I was being gentle on the throttle, so I didn't get a good sense of the engine. Wind protection was good. My girlfriend didn't like the vibrations in the passenger seat. In the end, I don't think I can get past the height + price, despite being offered a killer deal on a '11 leftover. Probably off the list, but I'll give it another ride this spring and keep an eye out for a used one to hit the market if I can get past the height.
  2. Ninja 1000: Saw one in person for the first time February 2012. No test ride yet. The edges of the seat cut into the backs of my legs. Sounds like a common complaint, easy to replace. Bars were a little more forward than I think I want; that's harder to adjust. Still worried about its weeny alternator. Still, this bike really does it for me in the looks department. Need to at least test ride it.
  3. Suzuki GSX1250FA: Sat on this one as well. Very comfy for both me and my girlfriend! Definitely need to test ride it. Awesome deal available until the end of March: 0% financing + $199 for the side panniers. At 567 lbs wet, I'm worried it won't be significantly different feeling than the FJR. From reading, it seems reviewers have a hard time trying to praise the bike due to the weight and peak HP (97 from a 1255 mill?); though it is an absolute torque monster. Smallish tank, early gas light. There's a ton that tells me this bike might be a lot of fun at a great price, but somehow there's just absolutely no spark happening...
  4. BMW R1200R: Still top of my list in terms of bike-lust based on looks, specs and from sitting on it. As of yet, still haven't test ridden one. I love the styling, and I have wanted an R for years. Still tough to swallow the $15k price tag before adding $1,500 in luggage. Hard to find any used, especially the new '11+ cam-head. If I still like it as much as I think I do after the test ride, I can start searching for one.
At this point, any of the ADV bikes are probably off the list due to the seat height issues. R1200GS, Tiger 800, Tiger 1050 SE... I'll still have to try them to make sure.

I'm reaching a point of having too much information and needing to step back and as objectively as possible ride the bikes and see which I'll be most comfortable on... At the same time, some of motorcycling is about the emotions it brings out, so should I really try to force myself to feel passion about a bike that does nothing for me?

-Alec
You can get an R1200GS with low suspension and low seat if you like.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:57 AM   #57
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,740
Quote:

-Alec
Sounds to me like logic and spreadsheets and objectivity have done their part, and you have a short-list. As you noted, it's time for some subjectivity to finish the decision. All head, no heart will make the wrong choice, while the combination will help you make the right one.

One comment - why the need for a really expensive bike that you feel you'll need to keep for a long time? Getting a new bike very couple years is great fun, and not really expensive if you buy used, and shop carefully.

Why not just buy a used R1200R, and give it a shot?
Old 02-21-2012, 03:31 AM   #58
Podman
Rocketman

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon4 View Post
I like the look of that 800, but I felt the KTM SMT was much better and more powerful for close to the same $$.
I've loved the SMT as my all rounder.
Podman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:54 AM   #59
AlecMyrddyn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Sounds to me like logic and spreadsheets and objectivity have done their part, and you have a short-list. As you noted, it's time for some subjectivity to finish the decision. All head, no heart will make the wrong choice, while the combination will help you make the right one.

One comment - why the need for a really expensive bike that you feel you'll need to keep for a long time? Getting a new bike very couple years is great fun, and not really expensive if you buy used, and shop carefully.

Why not just buy a used R1200R, and give it a shot?
Thanks jon_l;

You are spot on about the head vs. heart aspect, and I need to relax on the head part of go ride a few to let me heart talk to me. As you can tell, I'm probably slightly over-analytical at times... Anything on my short list should do great if I'm happy riding it.

In the end, I'm looking for a bike that I'll be happy with for at least a few years as a "primary" bike. So my important requirements include comfort (for myself and passenger), reliability, ABS, decent luggage & low(ish) weight. I'm not specifically looking at only new bikes, it just turns out there are a lot of good choices that recently hit the market Honestly, if the FJR wasn't quite so porky, I might not have sold it. Otherwise, it was a good bike and did everything I wanted, barring the lack of ABS on the one I had.

From my reading, it sounds like the cam-head R1200R is a much better motor than the hex-head. And since the 'R is such a low-volume bike, finding either used may be tough. And R1200R search within 1,000 miles of home only turns up one 'R about 14 hours away from where I am right now... Even if I were to add 1800 miles worth of gas costs + hotel, I'd be saving a few thousand compared to new. If I find a used hex-head that I can test ride, I'll do that as well.

I will be keeping my '99 Monster 900 as a solo/track-day/hoolingan/project bike. If future finances work, I can probably change the 2nd bike around more frequently, and look for older bikes and have the fun of making projects out of them on a smaller budget.

Thanks!

-Alec
AlecMyrddyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #60
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,715
You might also consider the Honda CB1000R. It's the '07 CBR1000RR engine detuned and put in a streeter chassis. Adjustable suspension, superbike brakes, 109hp, plenty of torque.
On paper it looks kind of ho-hum. But, the engine is butter smooth, the trans is butter smooth, and the whole thing is really well balanced and easy to use on the street without having to go for warp speed.
It's been a Euro bike for a bit and the aftermarket is revved up for it.
It's ok on a shorter person too. Cases are available. Seats too.

It's a bit of a hooligan bike on its face, but is very very refined when you ride it. Typical Honda build quality and ride experience is top shelf for the segment. Haven't noticed ABS on one yet.
I thought it was amazing when I rode it down the Blue Ridge Parkway. Just a great street machine.
If you've missed this one, have a look.