User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2014, 05:03 AM   #1
45Badger OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Tiger 800 Roadie or XC?

I'm zeroing in on the Triumph Tiger 800 as next bike. Problem is choosing the standard bike or XC.

My riding will consist of local/suburban commuting in Chicago suburbs (roads horrible with lots of potholes and bumps) and day trips west of here. Long term, I'll take longer trips around WI and MN. Won't be doing any serious off road stuff, but will definitely find the occasional dirt/gravel road and forest trail.

For those who have ridden or owned both, what is the practical difference you have seen or experienced in these two bikes? It may be shallow or naive, but I love the looks of the XC , especially the spoked wheels.
45Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:17 AM   #2
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,449
XC plusses:

Better suspension
Wider bars with risers
Beak, if that's your thing
21" front wheel rolls over mothers-in-law easily
Excel wheels are pretty strong

XC minuses:

Taller, too much so for some riders
Tubed tires
More expensive than the standard 800
Old 08-27-2014, 05:21 AM   #3
tjzondrz
I'm older now.

Oddometer: 635
The XC is my next bike.Can't come soon enough.
tjzondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:50 AM   #4
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,957
It sounds to me like the roadie would be the better choice just based on usage. I rode both and they have a different feel. I think the roadie feels lighter and smaller which I liked better.

The tubeless tires on the cast wheels is a nice plus and they should hold up to light dirt riding ok.

If you were looking to do more serious dirt riding then I'd look to the XC. Test ride both and see what you think. You can easily change the bars & risers on the roadie, I would, at least the risers.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:55 AM   #5
slobinski
Inept adventurer

Oddometer: 392
I've used a Roadie for all those conditions, which it has handled well. I am not aggressive on the gravel with it, but with a set of good tires you will be fine (I ran K60's on mine last summer during a trip to Alaska and Inuvik, with side trips to McCarthy and the Denali highway).

Those tubeless tires are easy to deal with and I need a slightly lower bike anyway due to some knee and hip issues. 20 mm bar risers and lowered footpegs really helped, too.
slobinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:04 AM   #6
Venteuri
I don't give a shit

Oddometer: 14,740
Spoked wheels would only bend if hitting a pothole fast. The casting wheels can break!

For me is XC
Member #68,893
Above all stop pandering to posts from morons like Venteuri who can't even spell Venturi properly.
Venteuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:23 AM   #7
frytown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Had a roadie for a year and a half. Loved it, but my back was getting hammered by the relatively short suspension on the crap roads on my commute.
Switched to the XC and all is better.
And actually, I find the handling of the XC to trump that of the roadie for whatever reason.
I'm 5'8" and have zero issues with the XC, even with the seat in the high position. I figure the only liability are the tube tires, which I intend to rectify this winter.
I say go XC. Your skeleton will thank you for the couple inches of extra squish.
frytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:46 AM   #8
FJRider
A Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 21
I had a similar decision about a month ago. I wanted to get rid of my road bike (FZ-09) and get off road once in a while. I liked the beefier suspension, taller seat, wider bars and the 21" font wheel. I am glad I got the XC.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:14 AM   #9
MrChuffy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I own the road version and am at the point where I really want to off road in a more than casual way. (Think about that possibility carefully. The more you ride the Tiger the more youll want to take it everywhere.) The question is whether to upgrade the road version to something similar to an XC or just trade in what I have for an XC. I think the later is the correct answer. The XC will do all the road version can and more. If you get the XC then youre good to go no matter what the venue. If I wind up w/ the XC Im going to grab a spare set of wire wheels that can go tubeless and put street tires on those for daily running about. For off road Ill have a set of proper dirt tires to swap on. In the end the XC requires far less farkling to off road than the road version and itll be more capable.

The Tiger, in my view, is a great all around moto. Its quick and nimble for its size and loads of fun to be about on. The more I ride it the more I like it. At one point I was thinking about trading it in for an R1200GS. While that moto is really nice its just lacks the fun factor of the Tiger.
MrChuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:44 AM   #10
ROL99
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Hi,

I guess nobody can do the decission for you, just tell you the personal opinion.

For me the XC never was an option especially for the spoked wheels, the 21" front wheel and the tube tires.
Today you get most of the off road tires as well in 19", no real reason to stay away from the roadie.

As I am about 196 cm, must be about 6.4" but not shure, and long legged I used the 25mm lower footpegs of the Berlin company Motobau, they are doing a lot of off road stuff for different bikes like KTM, etc., and the XC risers with the SW Motech 20mm bar risers. Sitting is perfect for me.

The back is rised by a ProJection 25mm jack up kit, that improved the handling.
In the front I swapped the springs to Wilbers using a 5W fork oil.

Handling for me is close to perfect, may be testing the 35mm jack up kit next week, no peg scratching on twisty roads of all kind as you find it hereover in Austria, using the full profile of the Anakee3, as well no probs on fireroads as you would call them.

Not missing anything of the XC, for me (!!!) the roadie was the perfect decission.

I guess you will hear more comments in both ways, so I am not convinced it will help you to decide.

Ride them both, set up a list of pros and cons and think about it a second time.

Shure you will do the right decission wether the XC or the road.

Cheers
Roland
ROL99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:51 PM   #11
BryanCO
CO Rider

Oddometer: 392
XC

I just had the rear wheel sealed so no tube.

Just put mine up for sale but it's a fantastic bike.
BryanCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:06 PM   #12
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
I had a similar decision about a month ago. I wanted to get rid of my road bike (FZ-09) and get off road once in a while. I liked the beefier suspension, taller seat, wider bars and the 21" font wheel. I am glad I got the XC.
2 months for me.

After 2000+ mile week long trip and a few days commuting, I can't think of anywhere I would have preferred the 800 Roadie. There's just no advantage to it!
My XC is just an outstanding bike, glad I finally got one.

I will say, I hemmed and hawed for 3+ years before the right deal fell in my lap. Wish I bought my XC years ago.

Edit: Good grief, almost 4 years before I bought mine:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu View Post
I want one.

Whether it'll replace my 1050 or go next to it is yet to be seen...

Thanks
CA Stu

Get an XC today.

CA Stu screwed with this post 08-27-2014 at 11:11 PM
CA Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:24 PM   #13
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu View Post
2 months for me.

After 2000+ mile week long trip and a few days commuting, I can't think of anywhere I would have preferred the 800 Roadie. There's just no advantage to it!
My XC is just an outstanding bike, glad I finally got one.

I will say, I hemmed and hawed for 3+ years before the right deal fell in my lap. Wish I bought my XC years ago.

Edit: Good grief, almost 4 years before I bought mine:

Get an XC today.
Hey CA Stu,

I believe you were a KLR rider at one time if I recall. I'm in a similar situation considering trading the KLR for an XC, but..... I don't need it as an all around bike, more of a big dirtbike that doesn't beat me up after 100+ miles of slab to get to the dirt, then the same 100+ miles back home after the dirt riding.

I still have a DRZ for the more technical riding plus the other bikes in my Sig for more extended street use. My dilemma and question is, do you consider the XC to heavy to feel really comfortable in the dirt?

I've ridden both the XC & roadie, but only for the typical 20-30 minute demo ride. It's really hard to tell in that situation.

I'm waiting for some fantasy bike from ??? to come along that's smaller & lighter but smooth with decent power (50-65 hp is enough), but I'm getting tired of waiting to be honest.

Any comments along those lines welcome.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 08-27-2014, 11:33 PM   #14
tangerine
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
I'm waiting for some fantasy bike from ??? to come along that's smaller & lighter but smooth with decent power (50-65 hp is enough), but I'm getting tired of waiting to be honest.

Any comments along those lines welcome.
There will be a "XC"-Version of the Yamaha MT/FZ-07 or -09 coming soon

And what about the CB 500 X/NC 750 X or the forthcoming Ducati Scrambler?

tangerine screwed with this post 08-28-2014 at 12:10 AM
tangerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:55 AM   #15
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine View Post
There will be a "XC"-Version of the Yamaha MT/FZ-07 or -09 coming soon
Ya, that's the bike I'm waiting on, hopefully it will be based on the -07 twin.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S