User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2014, 10:29 AM   #1
maddiedog OP
PCX or GTFO

Oddometer: 225
Rack for rear topcase

Topcase racks are ridiculously expensive. I mounted a Pelican case on the back of my WeeStrom and want a rack to mount stuff on it, but I don't want to pay $100 for it. For example, the Givi E142 is about the size I want, but seems ridiculously priced for some welded together steel wire.

I looked around and found this, but it's too big: http://www.amazon.com/Kolpin-93202-A.../dp/B0050IJKDA. I also found a basket at Ikea that might work, but it looks a bit too KLR for my tastes. :P

Anyone seen affordably-priced racks to go on top of a flat pelican case or similar? I have a flat 18" wide x 14" deep area to put it on.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:00 PM   #2
Yak_KLR 650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
I mounted 4 heavy duty 'D' rings - one in each corner and used Rokk Straps. You don't really need a rack because the Pelican case is nice and flat, you just need some attachment points for straps.
Yak_KLR 650 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:32 PM   #3
maddiedog OP
PCX or GTFO

Thanks Yak, I may end up doing that if all else fails. I googled Rok straps, those things are cool. I always use cheap bungees.

I do want a rack instead of D-rings because it gives me more flexibility with where I put straps. Anyone else out there have ideas?
Old 07-20-2014, 08:00 AM   #4
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,539
My top case has 6 footman loops bolted to the top
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:36 PM   #5
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,120
Got a motorcycle recycler (junkyard) near you? Or one of those old shops that has piles of dusty old parts lying all over?

I picked up this unknown, unidentified chrome rack years and years ago (for $5 bucks!) to mount on a rear seat cowl of a VFR800, Since then it's been used for several different projects, and is currently on the hatch of my sidecar.

Improve your cosmic karma here!
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:02 PM   #6
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiedog View Post
Topcase racks are ridiculously expensive. I mounted a Pelican case on the back of my WeeStrom and want a rack to mount stuff on it, but I don't want to pay $100 for it. For example, the Givi E142 is about the size I want, but seems ridiculously priced for some welded together steel wire.
I make these custom, but $100 is the minimum buy-in due to fabricator costs....

Before a top case:
http://stelviontx.blogspot.com/2013/...tallation.html

With top case:
http://stelviontx.blogspot.com/2013/...m-topcase.html

The market was...well...no one for a Guzzi. I created what I want and sell them through an online dealer for those who want the same. I can do on-off racks, but they cost about $100. They are 12ga stainless laser cut and are convertible, but it's not for everyone. They require some work on your end, but they are what ~you~ want. I did one for a Triumph Explorer and the owner loves it:
Old 07-21-2014, 05:18 AM   #7
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,416
I thought about doing something similar w/ 6061 aluminum but I priced an appropriately-sized piece - yeow! Then I remembered that someone had used HDPE to make a dual sport rear rack for their XR650L.

Here's my approach using a $14 cutting board. It's mounted to the DL1000's rear rack w/ 8mm flat head socket-head screws & 3/32" spacers after removing the rack's rubber pad. Mounting holes for the top case are threaded & tapped w/ 8mm Helicoil inserts.

The Pelican case is mounted w/ 8mm button head screws to prevent snagging and scuffing stored items. (I've since discovered that the button-head screws need to be nylok nutted to keep them from vibrating loose.)

I've since narrowed the HDPE mount and rounded the corners for cosmetic reasons, but here's the whole assembly.

McMaster-Carr has stainless footman's loops in 1", 1 1/2" & 2" sizes in 300 stainless for about $4.00 each. I'll be mounting some of them to the top case's lid to carry light but bulky items like a sleeping pad.

LexLeroy screwed with this post 07-21-2014 at 03:34 PM
LexLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:27 PM   #8
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,120
I think what maddiedog was asking about was a rack to mount on top of the case to strap stuff to. Not a mounting rack for the case.

Here's another idea... stainless or plastic cabinet/drawer pulls from Home Depot are available in a variety of lengths. You could mount 5 or 6 of them parallel in a row across the bag, and it would be like a rack/grid, without the perimeter...

Improve your cosmic karma here!
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:35 PM   #9
PachmanP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,337
A buddy welded square tubing to a grill rack and bolted it to his pelican. Works pretty well with ROK straps. Looks a little klr, but it's on a klr.
PachmanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:28 PM   #10
maddiedog OP
PCX or GTFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag_streak View Post
I picked up this unknown, unidentified chrome rack years and years ago (for $5 bucks!) to mount on a rear seat cowl of a VFR800, Since then it's been used for several different projects, and is currently on the hatch of my sidecar.
Oh man, that's PERFECT! I don't know of any motorcycle-specific recycler though. There is a scrap yard near work, I might be able to find something there... I'll scope it out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag_streak View Post
I think what maddiedog was asking about was a rack to mount on top of the case to strap stuff to. Not a mounting rack for the case.
Dead-on. Lex and Kirb, I appreciate the ideas, but I already just bolted the Pelican case directly to the rear wing, and don't want to spend $100 on a plate when the Givi rack looks nicer for cheaper.

I think the stainless hardware idea is interesting. I might be able to get that to work, but those will stick up a lot. I could cut one down and retap holes easily enough though. That's my fallback plan at this point, it shouldn't cost much.

Here's what it looks like now; the rack needs to mount to the top of the case.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:04 PM   #11
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,416
Check these then - they'll sit lower than a rack.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#footman%27s-loops/=sxw6hn
Old Today, 01:02 PM   #12
maddiedog OP
PCX or GTFO

Problem solved

I went with ag_streak's idea and got some stainless steel handles. End result:

The bungees will stay there. It's easy to clamp down a suitcase of Yuengling underneath them.

Without the bungees, it looks like this:

They're low-profile and look like they belong on there, especially with the bungees across them. I secured them in place with the stock fasteners and added a neoprene washer on either side of the hole. I sprayed them directly with the jet function on my hose nozzle, no leakage thus far.

The handles are the "Tyda" 13" handles from Ikea. Here's a link (the short ones are in the picture, I didn't have to cut mine down): http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50113919/