ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2015, 04:18 AM   #1
guyproc OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Honda XLV750R, Big old beast

Hi fellas, just joined this forum and hoping to find some helpful advice, (or moral support), for this monster I just bought to restore. I will post info. and pictures as things progress! (and when I find out how to add photos!).
guyproc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:38 AM   #2
MassiveLee
It's a small world

Oddometer: 1,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyproc View Post
Hi fellas, just joined this forum and hoping to find some helpful advice, (or moral support), for this monster I just bought to restore. I will post info. and pictures as things progress! (and when I find out how to add photos!).
Nice. Where did you get an XLV750R ? Which colour?

Lee

1988 Honda Africa Twin aka Queen of Sheeba -- Current
MassiveLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:52 PM   #3
guyproc OP
Adventurer

Hi Lee. I bought the bike locally in Perth as a non-runner. The owner said it hadn't run for "a few years" after he had parked it up after it started crunching 4th gear. It came with a replacement gear cluster that he had never got around to doing anything with. After struggling to load a 200kg bike with flat tyres and seized brakes on to the trailer, I finally got it home.

I checked it had oil in it, took out the spark plugs and hooked it up to the jumper leads and it spun over like a good 'un. Next I dropped the oil, put fresh in, put the plugs back in, took out the air filter and poured petrol down the throats, tried it again and it fired up straight away with no undue noises.

I eventually got the engine out the other day, that has to have been the most awkward task I have ever encountered! When rebuild time comes around the engine will be sat on its own and have the bare frame fitted around it! It's a heavy old lump at 75kg and not a millimetre of spare room to play with.

The bike is one of the later ones but the bodywork has been painted red. I intend to restore it in the HRC colours and red engine of the earlier ones, (same as the picture you attached).

How do you attach a pic? I tried from the tutorial but had no luck. I have a photobucket account but couldn't do it from there either.

Guy
Old 02-24-2015, 06:03 PM   #4
PAULIBIKER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveLee View Post
Nice. Where did you get an XLV750R ? Which colour?

Lee

Man, that is a COOL bike!

Were they sold in the states?
PAULIBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:14 PM   #5
MassiveLee
It's a small world

I always had a sweet spot for those RD01. V twin and driveshaft. I know they were not the most reliable, but they did have their charm. I definitely support you into restoring it to the HRC colours.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:19 AM   #6
Dr AT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,138
Guyproc, have a browse through here

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=Ozhonda

Unfortunately most of the xlv guys have moved on
Dr AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:35 AM   #7
guyproc OP
Adventurer

Thanks Dr AT. I just put a message on that post.

Guy
Old 02-25-2015, 03:48 PM   #8
Roland44
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyproc View Post
Amazing bike, I can't wait to see the pictures. You can use a service like photobucket.com or similar to add the photos.
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:35 PM   #9
Old fart
Keen AG100 rider

Oddometer: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr AT View Post
Guyproc, have a browse through here

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=Ozhonda

Unfortunately most of the xlv guys have moved on
Not everyone

Old fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 04:15 AM   #10
guyproc OP
Adventurer

Hey Old Fart! Nice example! Here's my tatty wreck!
Old 02-26-2015, 01:39 PM   #11
Old fart
Keen AG100 rider

Will scrub up alright, with so much stuff missing I wouldn't worry about a pristine restoration. Just get it looking good and ride the wheels off it.
A few of the older ones were stuck in the shed when the electronic ignition crapped out. You can now get new stuff that doesn't take much hooking up, there is a thread on ADV somewhere about it.
An XLV makes a great cruiser, enough power to sit on any speed and more than enough for legal limits. They are a bit weighty in the bush but if you have at least trials universal or knobby tyres fitted will surprise you where you can go and how good they do handle.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:51 PM   #12
MassiveLee
It's a small world

Yeah.The bike seems in overall good shape. Now start looking for somebody dismantling one in Europe and get all the missing bits. It is probably a one year project. Take it apart, have fasteners plated, frame repainted and find a good painter for the fuel tank. But first, start that engine. Fix it before you start taking the bike apart.

BTW Here's an incomplete one not too far from you, in Japan. I doubt it will easily sell. So, you can probably bargain it.

http://rmdmotors.com/1983-honda-xlv750r-africa-twin/

This one is complete and runs.
http://rmdmotors.com/1983-honda-xlv750r-africa-twin-2/

Lee
Old 02-26-2015, 03:51 PM   #13
guyproc OP
Adventurer

Thanks fellas. I have managed to get a rear luggage carrier and I am waiting on someone getting back to me about the air scoops. Like I said previously, the engine turned over sweet and fired up first time so I'm not too worried about that side of it. I could physically select all the gears, (without the engine running), but to try and ride it would have taken too much prep. work. I will try and strip the motor this week and post some updates and pictures of my findings.

Guy
Old 02-26-2015, 09:22 PM   #14
Old fart
Keen AG100 rider

What do you mean by stripping the motor, paint or mechanically? If it's running and got some compression I would try and keep it intact. As stated somewhere it's pretty hard getting gaskets for these things.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:31 PM   #15
guyproc OP
Adventurer

The guy I bought it off said he parked it up when it started crunching in to fourth gear. He had already sourced a replacement gear cluster for it which came with the bike when I bought it. The selection of each gear feels positive enough so I'm thinking maybe a tooth off a gear or gear sleeve worn, something like that. I might as well look into it and do it properly seeing as I have the major parts.

What are the head gaskets like? Composite with a steel compression ring?

Guy

(Oooops, meant aluminium ring)

guyproc screwed with this post 02-27-2015 at 03:27 PM