User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2014, 03:34 PM   #1
lfoster729 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Removing and Charging Battery?

I just got myself a 2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC, been a long time dirt bike guy. I always removed my batteries from my dirt bikes to bring them inside the house and placed on a battery tender for the winter. Dirt bikes are so much more simple than the computer system on the Tiger. Can I do this for my Tiger, without worry about wiping memory from the computer system? Will it harm the bike's computer system, digital gauges and such to have the battery out all winter? Or am I better off plugging the tender onto the hooked up battery in the bike in the randomly heated garage all winter? Thanks
lfoster729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:40 PM   #2
ruin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfoster729 View Post
I just got myself a 2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC, been a long time dirt bike guy. I always removed my batteries from my dirt bikes to bring them inside the house and placed on a battery tender for the winter. Dirt bikes are so much more simple than the computer system on the Tiger. Can I do this for my Tiger, without worry about wiping memory from the computer system? Will it harm the bike's computer system, digital gauges and such to have the battery out all winter? Or am I better off plugging the tender onto the hooked up battery in the bike in the randomly heated garage all winter? Thanks
It's not going to "hurt" anything having the battery out. You might lose any instrument settings, trip meters, etc. Why not just leave it in the garage? Taking it inside to sit on a tender all winter seems weird.. what if you want to ride?! :)
ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:53 PM   #3
lfoster729 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruin View Post
It's not going to "hurt" anything having the battery out. You might lose any instrument settings, trip meters, etc. Why not just leave it in the garage? Taking it inside to sit on a tender all winter seems weird.. what if you want to ride?! :)
Thanks for the fast response. That is what I was wondering, will I loose my instrument settings, maybe even the odometer? Reason I would want to bring it inside is I only heat my detached garage when I'm out working in it during the winter. I'm worried the extreme cold, even while on a tender, would destroy the Yusa battery. I would really love to ride and wish I could, but I am completely buried in snow here where I live for 6-7 months during the winter.
lfoster729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:01 PM   #4
ruin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfoster729 View Post
Thanks for the fast response. That is what I was wondering, will I loose my instrument settings, maybe even the odometer? Reason I would want to bring it inside is I only heat my detached garage when I'm out working in it during the winter. I'm worried the extreme cold, even while on a tender, would destroy the Yusa battery. I would really love to ride and wish I could, but I am completely buried in snow here where I live for 6-7 months during the winter.
You aren't going to lose the odometer. Everything else is fair game though.

I'd call Yuasa or send them an email. Most sealed and charged batteries are good (for storage) down to at least -50F, usually lower.
ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:34 PM   #5
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,188
The Tiger's electrics consume an appreciable amount of current while parked. That is, goes down faster than older bikes with no computer. I just Battery Tender my batteries one day every month or two. No need to remove them, deep cold will not hurt them so long as they are not in a DIScharged state.
Taking them out while not necessary, will not harm anything.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:17 AM   #6
JTB488
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Get a Battery Tender, put a powerlet end on it and plug it into the outlet by the bars.
JTB488 is offline   Reply With Quote