Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2011, 05:18 AM   #196
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL View Post
Maybe Suzuki better drag out the old, short lived Suz / Kaw contract and demand rebadging these as DL1000 replacements
Ouch.......

Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:27 AM   #197
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
Ouch.......

No, touche.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:25 PM   #198
aquadog
Dude Buddha

Oddometer: 654
I'm the market

Gotta say I'm interested. A centre stand and 19" front would add to the appeal, but I think Kawasaki is doing something clever here, both in the market and to amortize existing parts lines. First, anybody that thinks a GS is an off-road adventure bike is a waaay better rider than I am (and I'm not great, but still...), as they're giant, heavy things better suited to moderately decent fire/logging/mining roads anyway. So if that's your riding environment, and the actual use most of the supposed adventure bikes get, why not do what Kawi has done?

I used to ride an '84 Nighthawk S (remember when 16" wheels were cool?) on roads like the Dempster (praying for dry weather) and never had major issues. Just be prepared to fix tires. Now, it seems that a lot of riders won't venture off pavement without some mega-monster ADV bike under them. Being richer, I now have a first-gen FZ1, KLR650 and a KLX400R. Choose the tool to suit the trip.

But I've been looking for a 'one bike' touring mount, seriously considering a Concours 14, but hesitating because riding a Conny I might shy away from gravel roads - that lovely fairing and weight. The Versys 1000 looks like it might be an answer. Comfortable upright touring, electronic safety nets like ABS, and the ability to take on logging roads or the like without cringing. And 17" wheels will be better than the old Nighthawk S was, and I wouldn't be surprised to see someone start making a more aggressive tire for 17". I can see riding a Versys 1000 on 90% of the roads that most GS and the like ever attempt, and at a much lower cost and increased reliability and superior twisty capability.
aquadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 04:57 PM   #199
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquadog View Post
Gotta say I'm interested. A centre stand and 19" front would add to the appeal, but I think Kawasaki is doing something clever here, both in the market and to amortize existing parts lines. First, anybody that thinks a GS is an off-road adventure bike is a waaay better rider than I am (and I'm not great, but still...), as they're giant, heavy things better suited to moderately decent fire/logging/mining roads anyway.
I think, up until recently you had the choice of a very off road biased, race bred bike that was really appreciated by those that had the talent, a very road biased bike that was cheap and didn't kill you financially when you dropped it, and another expensive bike that was somewhere in between but tended to have issues more than it should have.

Now you have a good range to choose from, with most it seems sitting in the more road end of the spectrum which, I agree, would suit most of the people buying these things.

Most people would just like to continue on down a dirt road to a look out or a B&B or campground or to the next town, along a dirt road, without getting to the end with loose fillings, bent rims and a $1000.00 repair bill from a few scratches.

All these bikes now have at least a chance of surviving in the real world without too much trouble,

Just like it used to be with a few exceptions, before the Track bike fixation appeared.

All good, pick the closest tool for your job.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:35 PM   #200
mminob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Versys 650 Vibes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amk View Post
Does it shake more/ same/ less than 650?
Yeah, my 2009 Versys 650...with 20,000 miles has been a fantastic daily commuter with a buzzy engine and body panels that pretty much smooth out at 6,000 rpm...sooo much fun to twist the grip and row through the close ratio gear box ... However...on my Ninja 1000 demo ride...same motor as Versys 1000...the 4 cylinder buzz was very noticeable at highway cruising speeds...so if you keep the revs above 5,000 or 6,000 rpms it's pretty smooth...here is the problem I have with this much power that the 1000 has...almost too much torque and horsepower...this motor has speeding ticket potential thrust...down low, about 3000 rpms...the party starts...and just pulls like crazy right to 10,000 rpms...scary fast adventure bike...
Attached Images

mminob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:47 PM   #201
aquadog
Dude Buddha

Oddometer: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post

Most people would just like to continue on down a dirt road to a look out or a B&B or campground or to the next town, along a dirt road, without getting to the end with loose fillings, bent rims and a $1000.00 repair bill from a few scratches.

All these bikes now have at least a chance of surviving in the real world without too much trouble,

Just like it used to be with a few exceptions, before the Track bike fixation appeared.

All good, pick the closest tool for your job.
Exactly. To which I'd add "know thyself, and ignore the marketing hype". Buy what suits YOU. Of course my trouble, as with many of us, is I want one tool that does many jobs. My current rides give me the variety, but I'm not going to take the FZ1 down a nasty dirt road, or ride the KLX400 long distances on pavement. And I can't take both with me on a ride...so one that does most appeals. And the Versys 1000 may meet the "you can hit gently with a big hammer" rule.
aquadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:35 PM   #202
New Braunfels Kidd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
That will be scary! I had an 04 Z1000. Up to 8K is was strong and smooth, after that it went NUTS up to the 12.7 limiter. I really think this will be w slightly De-tuned Euro bike with no intention of it going off road.

Then again DS tires are available for almost anything.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:20 AM   #203
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Braunfels Kidd View Post
Then again DS tires are available for almost anything.
And sticky rubber is now available for 19" fronts.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:07 PM   #204
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,484
2012 Kawasaki Versys 1000

The new Versys looks like it will really chew up the miles in comfort, haul tons of gear and have power to spare!

Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:27 PM   #205
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,968
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733124
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:46 AM   #206
Twilight
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Kevin Ash is going to have the first review up tomorrow. I can't wait to see what he thinks of it.
http://ashonbikes.com/
Twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:12 AM   #207
lukasteam
Life is beautiful !!!

Oddometer: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight View Post
Kevin Ash is going to have the first review up tomorrow. I can't wait to see what he thinks of it.
I hope he will take it off road ...
Old 11-29-2011, 02:36 AM   #208
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,534
9500 over here in the UK. On a par with the Tiger 1050. Should sell well.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:31 PM   #209
olie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight View Post
The Italians MOTOCICLISMO e MOTORBOX both did test and publish the results already.

Great reviews excpt the gearbox ratio (2 to 3) and a few vibes at some RPM band. No offroad review...
Akrapovic, Givi W'shield, Kappa saddlebags...
11 Vette, unmolested...
olie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:59 PM   #210
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by olie View Post
The Italians MOTOCICLISMO e MOTORBOX both did test and publish the results already.

Great reviews excpt the gearbox ratio (2 to 3) and a few vibes at some RPM band. No offroad review...
Quote:
The engine is extraordinary: from 1,000 rpm upwards again without hesitation in the sixth stretched with progression up to 10,000 rpm. Traction control tames flawlessly when you need it.
Downsides

Quote:
Defects? The exchange rate is inaccurate in scale and, above all, the vibrations are definitely too large for a motorcycle of this type.
So that means that it is a bit too expensive in Italy compared to other countries and the motor is a beast but has character?

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote