Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2011, 09:55 AM   #211
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight View Post
Kevin Ash is going to have the first review up tomorrow. I can't wait to see what he thinks of it.
http://ashonbikes.com/

It'll be interesting to hear his take, on vibration levels...

996DL
996DL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:06 PM   #212
Twilight
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Review is up!
Twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:45 PM   #213
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by mminob View Post
...... However...on my Ninja 1000 demo ride...same motor as Versys 1000...the 4 cylinder buzz was very noticeable at highway cruising speeds...so if you keep the revs above 5,000 or 6,000 rpms it's pretty smooth...here is the problem I have with this much power that the 1000 has...almost too much torque and horsepower...this motor has speeding ticket potential thrust...down low, about 3000 rpms...the party starts...and just pulls like crazy right to 10,000 rpms...scary fast adventure bike...
I rode a Ninja 1000 also and came away with the same feeling. I thought the Ninja was geared really short and could easily use another tooth on the front sprocket which I "think" would have improved the vibes on the freeway. I got back on my Vstrom 1000 after and it felt silky smooth in comparison.

I agree about it being a ticket generator, same reason I sold my last 4cyl bike (KZ650) back in the early '80s.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:56 PM   #214
996DL
Buell me

Nice to see Kevin Ash doesn't seem to pull any punches, with this big bore Versys review.

High speed stability issues surfacing (with the luggage, if fitted, likely near empty), noticeable (annoying) vibration levels above 6000 rpm, front fork compliance concerns...

Far from a home run, at least with this early preview.

996DL
Old 11-30-2011, 02:26 PM   #215
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,779
I thought Kevin's review was pretty honest.

With all that grunt maybe a gearing change will solve the vibe problem on the freeway? It sounds like the forks need some serious tuning though, maybe not so hard, don't know.

It sounds like the rest is pretty good overall. It sounds like they paid good attention to both rider and pillion ergos and comfort, excellent. I'm glad to read the weight isn't too bad, that's what I was afraid of. Too many bikes need to be put on a diet these days.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:37 PM   #216
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL View Post
Nice to see Kevin Ash doesn't seem to pull any punches, with this big bore Versys review.

High speed stability issues surfacing (with the luggage, if fitted, likely near empty), noticeable (annoying) vibration levels above 6000 rpm, front fork compliance concerns...

Far from a home run, at least with this early preview.

996DL
To be fair, he still concludes that it is 'outstandingly good' overall.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:29 PM   #217
996DL
Buell me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev View Post
To be fair, he still concludes that it is 'outstandingly good' overall.
"The fact the bike is otherwise so outstandingly good makes this more of a shame
than it might otherwise be."

While he's mostly summing up his disappointment with the front forks, in the above statement, his other insights into possible high speed stability issues and vibration levels are for myself, caution flags not to be brushed aside. The majority of more mainstream mc press releases, have the nasty and self serving tendency, to praise the plus and not publish the negative.

It almost seems forgiveable nowadays, to white wash a bike's flaws / faults at elevated speeds, because of the "what were you doing, going that fast anyways", societal mentality of late. I still like to hear of what a bike behaves like, while doing the "ton", with or without luggage / loads, passengers and the like.

So, as for you Kevin Ash, thanks for at times jeopardizing your relationship with the mc industry,
by reporting honestly, what you experience first hand, in your test reports.

996DL
Old 11-30-2011, 04:03 PM   #218
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,925
Quote:

While he's mostly summing up his disappointment with the front forks, in the above statement, his other insights into possible high speed stability issues and vibration levels are for myself, caution flags not to be brushed aside. The majority of more mainstream mc press releases, have the nasty and self serving tendency, to praise the plus and not publish the negative.

996DL

I see some cross brace manufacturers rubbing there hands at the moment

So you have 1500-6000 to play with.
Oh dear that is just so terrible [/sarcasm]

Anyway better read the article I suppose.

Well after reading all that, it seems like a Stromasaki. Same high speed weaving issues, but the big Strom doesn't have what he describes in the rough. On the other hand he may have just jumped of a very well sorted bike.

Anyway fork braces and some suspension work may be needed with the spare cash you saved, over the competition.

And that would be one hell of a suspension job..
(where I live anyway)

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 11-30-2011 at 04:21 PM
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:39 PM   #219
olie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,102
Quote:
"The fact the bike is otherwise so outstandingly good makes this more of a shame
than it might otherwise be."

It almost seems forgiveable nowadays, to white wash a bike's flaws / faults at elevated speeds, because of the "what were you doing, going that fast anyways", societal mentality of late. I still like to hear of what a bike behaves like, while doing the "ton", with or without luggage / loads, passengers and the like.

So, as for you Kevin Ash, thanks for at times jeopardizing your relationship with the mc industry,
by reporting honestly, what you experience first hand, in your test reports.

996DL
If big IF, the front forks were set up the way my C14 was set, it is a great review by Kevin. When I drove my C14 first from the dealership, I almost prayed to get home in one piece. It was a long 26 mile ride that put me almost in tears, regrets and buyers remorse... After adjustment and almost 40k miles later I love my C14, so much that if I were on the market to buy a touring bike, I would buy the same bike again regardless of the price.
Akrapovic, Givi W'shield, Kappa saddlebags...
11 Vette, unmolested...
olie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:08 AM   #220
lukasteam
Life is beautiful !!!

Oddometer: 414
Not even a hint about off road...
lukasteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:12 AM   #221
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasteam View Post
Not even a hint about off road...
The English Don't do off road. You have to wait for the Southern Hemisphere reviews for that.

When the South Africans get it you will know pretty quickly how far it will go and what will break off the tarmac.

Then us Aussies will just confirm it.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
Old 12-01-2011, 05:37 AM   #222
Twilight
Adventurer

If you are so interested in off road. Why are you looking at this bike at all???
Old 12-01-2011, 05:39 AM   #223
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
If you are so interested in off road. Why are you looking at this bike at all???
Seen any Stroms go off road?

Old 12-01-2011, 06:58 AM   #224
Twilight
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Seen any Stroms go off road?
Not where I live. Any motorized driving off road is strictly forbidden and can result in heavy fines and/or seizure of used vehicle. And I guess most of vestern Europe is the same.

But I recon the Strom have some limited off road use buildt into it. Can't see that in this bike.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:01 AM   #225
lukasteam
Life is beautiful !!!

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Well, it's advertised as an ADVENTURE bike and it's in the "Beasts" category on Adventure Rider forum or is it a computer glitch and I'm in "Road Warriors" which actually also has Versys 1000 thread and I think it's the right place for it. I think to call big bike like that an adventure , it has to be 60/40 , on road/off road , but it's just me...let the attacks begin .
lukasteam is offline   Reply With Quote