Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2012, 09:31 AM   #271
Gregster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 958
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganze View Post
I really like the idea of this bike, but...wow... is ugly just a part of the mix? It sure seems so with most of the adv-ish bikes. How hard would it have been to give it more of a "ninja 1000s with long legs" theme?
I don't know about ugly, I kind of like the way it looks. However, I would have done something different with the headlight as I've never been a fan of vertically stacked designs.

Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:31 AM   #272
aquadog
Dude Buddha

Oddometer: 654
I think they've done a smart thing if people realize this is actually the bike they need for most use - that being 10 - 20% gravel. Let's face it, most GS and that ilk are used as touring bikes on hard surfaces or good gravel. I'm trying to like the looks, but think that if I painted the tank and that bulbous lump of "fairing" the same colour - like black - it would suddenly look a whole lot better. If you have a wart, do you draw a bulls-eye around it? Kawasaki did... The price seems fair for the amount of electronics on it - I'm cross shopping a V-Strom 1000, but no ABS or traction control, etc.
aquadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #273
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregster View Post
I would have done something different with the headlight as I've never been a fan of vertically stacked designs.
I never was a fan either.
However, I have yet to have anyone tell me I have a headlight out on my Versys.

It seemed like someone was always telling me I had a headlight out on my favorite ones with a side by side design.
Then I would have to explain that one was high and one was low beam.

Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:01 PM   #274
aquadog
Dude Buddha

And now more attractive with the announcement of more 17" dual sport tires, including TKC.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:01 PM   #275
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,739
I

Like the looks overall, even the headlites. Hope it rides as good as it looks.
228kg which is about 490lbs. Lighter than most big dualies. Definitly going to be test riding one in the spring.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:43 AM   #276
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,099
MCN (UK) did a group test (versus 1200GS and 1050 Tiger) and it came out best for speed, comfort, and mpg.

Video here:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...kes-on-rivals/
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:27 AM   #277
objectuser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Hoping this makes it to the 'States for 2013. I have a Versys 650 and the only real issue is the vibes of the engine. Otherwise it's an outstanding and versatile platform.
objectuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:20 PM   #278
aquadog
Dude Buddha

Thanks for posting the video link. I'm getting close to sold, and having done the dealer a good turn, have been promised the 'family rate', so price wise it's probably unbeatable. Versatile, availability of true dual sport tires now (if you choose), comfortable, what's not to like? I've never had the "character" issues with an in-line 4 that some do, I likes 'em just fine. It won't lack power, and there's only so much gravel you can spew.

Same for 17" wheels all around, I've taken a bike with 16" wheels where most people seem to feel a need for a GS. On a tire thread here, somebody wisely pointed out that rolling circumference is only part of the game, and people have been comparing 19" knobby tires against 17" slicks, let's see what a 17" can bite into with equivalent tires. Circumference matters more in true off-road, and I only intend rough gravel. Sure, I'd like shaft drive, but not at that price. Chains make gearing changes easy if desired.

I noticed that MN didn't mention the front end vagueness some testers found, so that may be capable of being adjusted out. A 1,000 mile test gives me more confidence than the intro rides.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:22 PM   #279
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by objectuser View Post
Hoping this makes it to the 'States for 2013. I have a Versys 650 and the only real issue is the vibes of the engine. Otherwise it's an outstanding and versatile platform.
Quote:
GS has got Shaft drive, centre stand (wow), reputation, reliability , all the accessories and the image. Ans it's got a bit of character too....
Good to see MCN hasn't lost their hard hitting analysis..

If they like the GS fine, but the justifications are getting a bit weird.

At least this time they acknowledged the Japanese bike. And the front of that Versys has enough "character" to blow them all away..

I am glad, I have something to park the Strom next to now

Not a mention of funny front suspension this time. Interesting.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 01-19-2012 at 02:32 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #280
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,336
Demo bikes should be hitting the UK dealer network in the next week or so.

I have got the tough job of putting a few hundred miles on ours to run it in before customers get loose on it ....................Watch this space for photos soon

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:43 PM   #281
aquadog
Dude Buddha

Lucky dog. Awaiting a report...
Old 01-19-2012, 06:39 PM   #282
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Problem

with 17 inch front wheel is the width. For gravel/dirt a narrow front tire gives better control. 17 inchers tend to be fatter, therefore less desireable for light off road. It can be done with a 17 but alot less confidence inspiring at speed.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #283
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post
with 17 inch front wheel is the width. For gravel/dirt a narrow front tire gives better control. 17 inchers tend to be fatter, therefore less desireable for light off road. It can be done with a 17 but alot less confidence inspiring at speed.
Are there any pluses to having a wider tyre, like load spreading on sand offsetting the lack of control at speed?

If you were not in a race would it be easier going?

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 01-19-2012 at 07:16 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:44 PM   #284
aquadog
Dude Buddha

I think the answer is "under some conditions". The same argument used to apply to 4x4 tires - pizza cutters would "dig down" to traction, and wide tires would "float on top". When treads got more sophisticated, the wide tire won. I understand the narrow argument, but would suggest that with equal tread patterns the difference would be fairly minor. A knobby is a knobby, and a wider tire is going to have more knobs on the ground. Will it rail a berm like a 21"? No, but we're not talking dirt bikes here.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:22 AM   #285
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Also

Depends on how much weight is on the front wheel. Front heavy hogs don't work as well on gravel/dirt roads. This bike seems reasonably light compared to some so called new adventure bikes. Time will tell.