User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #301
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,878
Was!

Interested until I read a few on line reviews which all said, "not suitable for dirt", even though it looks capable. Back to the S10.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #302
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,187
Ixil exhaust on the V1000.

IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #303
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,426
Got out to play on it again last night but found it a bit chilly - needs heated grips and handguards !

If the snow that is forecast for tonight does not arrive I will be out again tomorrow - more photos and thoughts to follow

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:09 PM   #304
aquadog
Dude Buddha

Oddometer: 654
Cycle World did a First Ride Impression and found that the fork started to lose feedback about when the pegs started scraping. Said it was good for 80% of riding and then got vague due to the soft and long travel. Also it dives a bit under hard braking, same reason - strong brakes, long travel fork.

Guess that proves a) you can't have it both ways, b) you can probably play with it by changing oil or? and c) this is a bike that's going to confuse people as it tries to cross a lot of boundaries. How many adventure/tour bikes are they going to run out that hard? The knobby tires wouldn't allow that behaviour on some. Hope that versatility in the market doesn't harm sales.
aquadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #305
PizzaHog
Thought Criminal

Oddometer: 2,775
Available in Californiastan

I'm just starting to look into the Versys, and it is apparently available in the Peoples Republic of California.
"For just as the Constitution is not a suicide pact, neither is there an obligation in the civil society to go meekly to one’s death at the state’s behest, or to satisfy its lust for absolute control over its citizens." Michael Walsh
PizzaHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:23 PM   #306
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaHog View Post
I'm just starting to look into the Versys, and it is apparently available in the Peoples Republic of California.
That's the 650cc version.
I wonder if we will have the same arguments as the V v's the wee like they do on the Vstrom forums.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:52 PM   #307
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregster View Post
Wonder if there would be a way to do a spoked wheel swap including a 19" front? Add a bash plate, crash bars, and some good tires and it would be ready for the Trans-Labrador or Dempster highway.
Sure! A raised fender, longer lines and re-lacing of a 19" wheel onto the stock hub shouldn't be a problem.

Look up 'Woody's Wheel Works and use the "contact us" link. You'll find the guy is very receptive to most any request.

Standard disclamer: I have no affiliation with the above business. They just impress the heck out of me. Link is below.

http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/
Old 02-18-2012, 07:08 AM   #308
sasrocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
didn't read the 21 pages, so dont know if this is a repeat

but I saw this and being a Yamaha guy, immediately thought about the FX6R engine in a Tiger XC like chassis. Clearly the little Tenere is a low budget effort and not what is needed to compete.

Take the 03-05 r6 supersport engine with ss valves, one of the sweetest 600 mills ever made - detune it for even more insane reliability and torque (which is what they did for the FZ6R. You get a 85hp 600. Wrap around it a Tiger knock off chassis with real suspenders, you can get 12K for it Yamaha with no R&D engine investment.

Not sure about the width compared to the triple, cant be more than a couple inches wider (hopefuly).

Yamaha, do this!!!!!! You would be leading the Jap pack into this growing middleweight ADV market.
82 Suzuki RM465
sasrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:55 AM   #309
Gregster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasrocks View Post
didn't read the 21 pages, so dont know if this is a repeat

but I saw this and being a Yamaha guy, immediately thought about the FX6R engine in a Tiger XC like chassis. Clearly the little Tenere is a low budget effort and not what is needed to compete.

Take the 03-05 r6 supersport engine with ss valves, one of the sweetest 600 mills ever made - detune it for even more insane reliability and torque (which is what they did for the FZ6R. You get a 85hp 600. Wrap around it a Tiger knock off chassis with real suspenders, you can get 12K for it Yamaha with no R&D engine investment.

Not sure about the width compared to the triple, cant be more than a couple inches wider (hopefuly).

Yamaha, do this!!!!!! You would be leading the Jap pack into this growing middleweight ADV market.
Hey just a minute there, this is a Kawasaki discussion.
Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:15 PM   #310
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,910
Quote:
The 04-09 FZ6 had a retuned r6 motor.

The US-market FZ6R is just a faired version of the heavy, steel framed XJ600 Diversion that was sold in Europe for ages before coming here. Go to the Yamaha UK site and see it listed as 'XJ600 Diversion F'.

Anyway, do not want. A liter four works because they make reasonable torque. A 600 four, not so much. By the time you retune it you could have just used a parallel twin and saved weight.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:32 PM   #311
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post

The US-market FZ6R is just a faired version of the heavy, steel framed XJ600 Diversion that was sold in Europe for ages before coming here. Go to the Yamaha UK site and see it listed as 'XJ600 Diversion F'.

Anyway, do not want. A liter four works because they make reasonable torque. A 600 four, not so much. By the time you retune it you could have just used a parallel twin and saved weight.
It's in a way replacement for the old XJ600, yes, but has nothing in common
with it, and a lot with the FZ6/Fazer. It's the same engine, retuned once
again.

Actually, even the 78hp engine was available in the FZ6S Fazer at one
point before the XJ6/FZ6R/Diversion F was introduced.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:47 PM   #312
sasrocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post

Incorrect - it is the R6 platform, same as the FZ6.

Anyway, good point about the weight. It can't be much if any heavier than the 675 based 800XC mill. Anyway the idea was how can a Jap maker come into the ADV market with minimal investment. This was an idea I had for Yamaha to take an existing engine and do it. Or they could use the FZ8 motor but it would be heavier still.

Anything but a parallel twin - the most soulless engine configuration I can imagine.
82 Suzuki RM465
sasrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:03 PM   #313
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,910
XJ series uses completely different chassis than the FZ6 or the YZF-R6. Some of the very basic engine architecture may be shared, but that is it.

http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/produc...les/index.aspx

Quote:
Anything but a parallel twin - the most soulless engine configuration I can imagine.
Something went horribly wrong in the tuning of the Versys 650 motor. The Ninja 650R that I put 25k miles on was great fun - the different cams and missing 10hp of the Versys have ensured that, having ridden one, I will never buy one.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:49 PM   #314
Zammy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
you guys check the weight on the 1000 . WHY on earth would you choose less bike than a Versys 1000 ???
Zammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:34 AM   #315
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,176
Quote:
...Anyway the idea was how can a Jap maker come into the ADV market with minimal investment. This was an idea I had for Yamaha to take an existing engine and do it. Or they could use the FZ8 motor but it would be heavier still.
And this would be heavier still, but I still want one!

EnduroFZ1

Improve your cosmic karma here!
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote