Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,474
I'd say the Yamaha - but i'm biased.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:08 AM   #347
Spencer54
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
The other issue is that there's not a lot of accessories for the Kwack yet, engine bars and bits and pieces are thin on the ground.

Someone here has bought a white one and is waiting for the handguards from Kawasaki - They love it.
It was an upgrade from the 650 apparently which did really well for them.
Spencer54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:58 PM   #348
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Hello all, Versys 1000 got my attention; unfortunately, no test bikes and not much info available here.

I wonder, whether the 364W alternator; would it be enough to accomodate a grip heater and a set of auxiliary fog lamps. Maybe a GPS and cigarette lighter supplied mobile phone charger. It seems to be too low for an adventure bike compared to a GS, Tenere' 720W or the new Triumph's 950W.
umitc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:59 PM   #349
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by umitc View Post
Hello all, Versys 1000 got my attention; unfortunately, no test bikes and not much info available here.

I wonder, whether the 364W alternator; would it be enough to accomodate a grip heater and a set of auxiliary fog lamps. Maybe a GPS and cigarette lighter supplied mobile phone charger. It seems to be too low for an adventure bike compared to a GS, Tenere' 720W or the new Triumph's 950W.
364W? Does it have the same alternator as the 650?
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #350
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer54 View Post
The other issue is that there's not a lot of accessories for the Kwack yet, engine bars and bits and pieces are thin on the ground.

Someone here has bought a white one and is waiting for the handguards from Kawasaki - They love it.
It was an upgrade from the 650 apparently which did really well for them.
Yeah go the S10 and look at the Kwaka later if you have to. It has no trouble on the bumpy crap and will take it for years on end. DO take it off road for fun sometimes though. (but I have experience with the S10)

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:13 PM   #351
aquadog
Dude Buddha

Oddometer: 654
S10 is a nice bike, not going to have the issues that some BMWs have, but again, quite a bit more money than the Versys. Am I just cheap? I'm also not that fussy about what I ride, it's where and how much. I used to be a bit of a vulture - wait until Christmas, and see what's left over that they want out the door cheap. That's how I ended up with a Nighthawk S, and then the FZ1 - not a bad place to end up. I did the dealer a favour and got the "family and friends" price on the V1000, so didn't have to wait until Christmas this time.
aquadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:40 AM   #352
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev View Post
364W? Does it have the same alternator as the 650?
I don't know; I don't have any experience with Kawasakis.
umitc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:00 AM   #353
Spencer54
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
The one I rode at Bowen Moto has Oxford heated grips and an auxiliary 12v fitted.
I tested the grips and they worked a treat mine were the old style ones on the zzr.

Xtz is now the bike of choice, but funds may dictate its the V1000 anyway.
Spencer54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:54 PM   #354
Ludocrator
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
If you don't do much "off road" it may be a bit "out of spec" if you know what I mean.
So, Graham, you wouldn't recommend the S10 unless one is clearly biased towards the offroad side of things?

Just wondering because I love the looks of the Yamaha but seldom leave the tarmac. I currently ride a V-Strom, if that helps.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #355
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludocrator View Post
So, Graham, you wouldn't recommend the S10 unless one is clearly biased towards the offroad side of things?

Just wondering because I love the looks of the Yamaha but seldom leave the tarmac. I currently ride a V-Strom, if that helps.
Well it's better than the Strom on the road, but "more better" off road. It is setup to work well off road, so tends toward stability rather than "nervous" fast handling. Everything in the suspension is quality, the bike is tough and it will cop a pounding from sunrise to sunset carrying big loads. The downside with that is that it weighs a bit more than is necessary for just road use.

My comment was about the bias of the bikes. The Kwaka, is a more streety bike, has an IL4 and has that frenetic kind of go go go character, The S10 is a bit slower in the steering to keep it stable in the rough and is deceptively fast because of an unfussed engine that just accelerates without the rider noticing as much.

It took me a about 1000Km to get used to the S10's slower steering response after the DL1000, but everything else is better.

The DL1000 I consider a jacked up street bike as with the V1000, The S10 is a nuclear powered dirt pig and a real deal RTW bike.

The upside of the planted stability of the S10 is the fact that it is un-fazed on rough tarmac. Just eats it up and holds its line. It is also more expensive than the the V1000. I am not advocating either bike over the other, just the S10 is more biased for off road, and has a few compromises in steering geometry to achieve that.

Since I don't race people in high speed mountain switchbacks it's not an issue for me. It's good to have such a variety of platforms these days. I am glad that YAMAHA made the real deal with the S10 and also glad that Kawasaki and Honda came out with 4 cylinder engined bikes with a different bias. It allows people a better match to their requirements for budget and use.

Its a good time to be a rider. I'll be keeping the S10 for a while though but it's good to watch the segment evolve as well and great that manufacturers have given us the range of compromises that they have.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:57 PM   #356
olie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,113
nice link where the choice is .... yours!!! Whatever suits you and your wallet...
http://www.moto-station.com/article1...our-vous-.html
Akrapovic, Givi W'shield, Kappa saddlebags...
11 Vette, unmolested...
olie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:30 PM   #357
Ludocrator
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Thanks a lot Graham.

Let's see if Yamaha puts the S10 motor in a new TDM and we may have another interesting option.

I ride almost 100% onroad but yesterday I took a mild offroad diversion (it just took 15 minutes) and had the time of my life...
Old 04-18-2012, 06:31 AM   #358
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,474
UK importers are running a tasty promo..

http://www.kawasaki.co.uk/Offer/Details/34092CF722D

Must throw a leg over one. Was suitably impressed with the S variant.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:46 AM   #359
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,783
Versys 1000.

There is a new one for sale in Calgary at Blackfoot Motosports. $13,999.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:48 PM   #360
aquadog
Dude Buddha

Oddometer: 654
Holeshot in the Lower Mainland advertised one at $12,999 plus PDI.
aquadog is offline   Reply With Quote