Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2012, 01:01 AM   #361
Luckybastard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Got mine just two days ago. Came from a Z1000SX, and can honestly say that i made a good choice for sportier touring. But i dont mean like in a sports tourer way, but a COMFORTABLE touring bike with a sporty feel to it.
Thinking of getting some softer tires, because my ammount of trail riding is almost non-existent.

I have also owned a 2008 Versys 650 for a couple of years, which accompanied me to a ride through the Alps and Dolomites.Felt that it had a little lack of power, but only with 3 cases and two-up and going up the hairpins. So for me the Versys1000 has more than enough.

Will get some more feedback and pictures when the weather picks up around here.
Luckybastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:21 AM   #362
Cuff
no function beer well w/o

Oddometer: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquadog View Post
Holeshot in the Lower Mainland advertised one at $12,999 plus PDI.
I'm sure there are some with positive interactions with that shop but I wouldn't give them the sweat off my bag. Good price though and I'm sure my local guy in the Valley would match if I made the switch.

IBA# 38547

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/galler...er/1446/sort/3
Cuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:40 AM   #363
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer54 View Post
The one I rode at Bowen Moto has Oxford heated grips and an auxiliary 12v fitted.
I tested the grips and they worked a treat mine were the old style ones on the zzr.

Xtz is now the bike of choice, but funds may dictate its the V1000 anyway.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:34 AM   #364
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,523
Saw one today. Looks to be MEGA comfy. The seat is huge. Might try and get a rip on one next week.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:05 AM   #365
Spencer54
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Still awaiting the nod on finances - (its a company bike) so in the mean time I bought myself an Africa Twin.
Versys is still up there as a choice as it made a very good motorway haulage bike, and dealer wise its an easy option as Bowen's are brilliant.

I've had the demo Versys and now a courtesy bike for 6 weeks without them batting an eyelid so that counts for something in my books.

That said, the Worldcrosser is twisting my nads.
Spencer54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:31 AM   #366
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
Saw one today. Looks to be MEGA comfy. The seat is huge. Might try and get a rip on one next week.
I'd like to hear how you find it compared to your SuperTenere.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:26 PM   #367
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,523
My only qualm is no center stand. I know it's a stupid hang up - but i just can't imagine a bike without one now..
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:03 AM   #368
olie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
My only qualm is no center stand. I know it's a stupid hang up - but i just can't imagine a bike without one now..
...and shaft too!! I got spoiled with my Kawa C14 (1400 GTR)
Akrapovic, Givi W'shield, Kappa saddlebags...
11 Vette, unmolested...

olie screwed with this post 05-07-2012 at 06:17 PM
olie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:18 PM   #369
Dust_
Adventure Dreamer

Oddometer: 175
Saw one in the flesh today... Looks like it'll get the nod for my next bike. Just can't justify the extra 2.5k for the shaft drive+ centerstand (triumph explorer, honda crosstourer, yamaha s10, guzzi stelvio, etc.)
Old 05-10-2012, 02:10 AM   #370
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,194
Do I hear crickets in here

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:42 AM   #371
kojack
My Hardley is a POS

Oddometer: 970
I'd rather chain drive anyways. If something buggers up on a shaft, your done, you can fix a chain drive easy peasy. The versys 1000 is a sweet bike. I have the 650 as its plenty big with plenty of go. Coming from my Klr....
kojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:29 AM   #372
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,161
Just a heads up, if you are in the UK and own the 650, Kawasaki are offering test-rides on the 1000 and you get free membership of the Kawasaki Riders Club (usually 29.95 a year).
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #373
aquadog
Dude Buddha

Oddometer: 654
Delivery next week. I agree about centrestands, but my KLR didn't have one until I bolted an after market version on, will do the same for the Versys. With the big subframe, I'm thinking it will be easy to fab a rack for my aluminium KLR panniers to swap over with some quick release hardware. Will let you know. Snowed 6" here last night and +4 C today, so waiting until next week to pick up the bike doesn't seem like a hardship at the moment!
aquadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:47 PM   #374
aquadog
Dude Buddha

Oddometer: 654
First Impressions

I like it. I still think it's...not beautiful, but I don't think I'm going to care, and I won't see it from where I sit. Being good about break in, but am impressed with: comfort - seat, riding position for someone 6'-2"; smoothness - no real snatch or lash, shifts great; nimble - turns in readily, holds a line very well; features - good little trip computer, two 12V plugs ready to go, adjustable suspension, rack from the factory, good subframe to add things to, etc. Lots of bike for the money.

Surprised by how sporty it feels, although keeping it calm for now. There's plenty of suspension there, even for a big guy. I took it over some humps and it wasn't fazed. Seems like lots of capacity left for gear/passenger. On checking some reviews previously, I noted that the "vagueness" of the front end mentioned was when they were running 160 kph and over - so I haven't found that yet!

My impression is that once it's broken in, there will be enough power - even at low RPM, it's pulling, you have a choice of gears.

Will put a bigger foot on the side stand, it's going to dig into most surfaces. Will add a centre stand when available. the radiator needs protection, particularly up here. My Wolfman KLR tank bag will fit fine, I've got some soft saddlebags and tail bag that will work fine.

You can tell it's a "bitsa", but well done. Not a bike you'd want to take the plastic off, as while weld quality and the like is good, the hidden bits aren't designed to be pretty. Given that most things are from the parts bin, I expect it to be reliable, as it uses tested components. Things seem pretty easy to get to for servicing.

This one is going to be a comfortable mile eating back road bike that won't stop when the gravel starts. It feels way lighter than it is, have to remember that...
aquadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:20 PM   #375
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,194
Thumb Thanks

Thanks Aquadog,

Hood to see this beast get some feedback.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote