Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
I was informed ...NOT 2013.
Zammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:56 PM   #422
Azmo
beginner

Oddometer: 32
just returned from 7500 km trip on versys 1000. i made it from Moscow to the Austrian/Italian/Swiss Alps and through approx 17 different passes. Wind, rain, cold, everything was fine with this great stallion I am totally pleased
Old 08-07-2012, 02:37 AM   #423
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azmo View Post
just returned from 7500 km trip on versys 1000. i made it from Moscow to the Austrian/Italian/Swiss Alps and through approx 17 different passes. Wind, rain, cold, everything was fine with this great stallion I am totally pleased
Good on yah! I'm sure the new ride will give you many ear-to-ear grins and trouble-free miles. Will be interesting to see how quickly the aftermarket for this bike developes.

Before I bought my S10, the 2010 Kawasaki Z1000 (same engine) was on my short list. When I finally decided something closer to the S10 better suited by purpose, I was a bit bummed that Kawi didn't offer anything remotely close in the same displacement class. A couple of months after I bought the Tenere, news of the Versys 1000 was leaked. If the timing of Kawi's release had been earlier, say at the same I was looking at TDMs and Stroms (prior to having much knowledge of the S10), there's a good chance I would have went with the Versys. Very satisfied with my purchase, but it's kinda crazy how the timing worked-out.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:17 PM   #424
aquadog
Dude Buddha

Oddometer: 654
First North American test, including gravel/rough road duty. They loved it. http://www.motorcyclemojo.com/
aquadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:30 PM   #425
Revan
Throttle Jockey

Oddometer: 127
I saw this over at HFL today.

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/20...0-636cc-zx-6r/

If you look down on the EPA list, the Versys 1000 is on it.

Hopefully this is a good sign that they might bring the bike to the U.S.

Revan.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. -Jean Luc Picard
Revan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #426
chadhargis
Too tall for sportbikes

Oddometer: 2,047
I've owned the Versys 650 for two years and the total is truly better than the sum of it's parts. Everything I've tossed at it it's handled with aplomb. I'm a big guy at 6'5" 260lbs and the Versys hauls me around quite well and handles remarkably well given it's budget suspension. I've added a Baldwin seat, steel braided brake lines, a couple of powerlet outlets, heated grips, and Z1000 mirrors.

The only thing the 650 needs is another 20hp and torque to go with it. The 650 does fine when you're cruising around, and low speed work is a true joy. The fueling on mine is perfect. I used it as a media bike hauling a journalist around the Country Music Marathon a few months back and it was just as at home plodding around at 5mph as it is doing 80mph.

That said, if I'm riding hard and fast, I've really gotta put the whip to 'er and if I happen to be going uphill...well, I can't kick her hard enough to keep up with my larger displacement riding friends. I have to make up time in the corners, which the Versys does quite well.

If the 1000 is as good a bike as the 650, only with improved suspenders and more power, then I'm all in. Bring it on! Right now the Tiger 1050 and the Multistrada are the only options for me. I don't want any dirt riding ability. I just want a big, tall, comfortable sport bike....that I can actually afford (so that rules out the Multi).
Old 08-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #427
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadhargis View Post
I've owned the Versys 650 for two years and the total is truly better than the sum of it's parts. Everything I've tossed at it it's handled with aplomb. I'm a big guy at 6'5" 260lbs and the Versys hauls me around quite well and handles remarkably well given it's budget suspension. I've added a Baldwin seat, steel braided brake lines, a couple of powerlet outlets, heated grips, and Z1000 mirrors.

The only thing the 650 needs is another 20hp and torque to go with it. The 650 does fine when you're cruising around, and low speed work is a true joy. The fueling on mine is perfect. I used it as a media bike hauling a journalist around the Country Music Marathon a few months back and it was just as at home plodding around at 5mph as it is doing 80mph.

That said, if I'm riding hard and fast, I've really gotta put the whip to 'er and if I happen to be going uphill...well, I can't kick her hard enough to keep up with my larger displacement riding friends. I have to make up time in the corners, which the Versys does quite well.

If the 1000 is as good a bike as the 650, only with improved suspenders and more power, then I'm all in. Bring it on! Right now the Tiger 1050 and the Multistrada are the only options for me. I don't want any dirt riding ability. I just want a big, tall, comfortable sport bike....that I can actually afford (so that rules out the Multi).
For me "Off Road" means reasonable dirt roads, which most street bikes can do without too much difficulty, so this thing should work just fine. Looking forward to fondling one in person soon.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:13 AM   #428
Stridercal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Look at HFL, Versys 1000 listed in EPA docs...
Stridercal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:49 AM   #429
scfrank
I'm back - sort of.

Oddometer: 7,157
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadhargis View Post

Exactly. Sounds like exactly what I want too. How soon can I buy one ?

"No, I give it up." Alice replied. "What's the answer?"

"I haven't the slightest idea." Said the Hatter.

"Nor, I" said the March Hare.
scfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:11 PM   #430
aquadog
Dude Buddha

Big, tall, comfortable, quite fast and handles well. That sums it up? I'm still loving mine. Nice riding position, my bad back isn't getting tired very quickly. By deliberately sitting back in the saddle, it's breaking in so it doesn't slide me forward like some have mentioned.

My little fleet consists of the Versys, a 2003 FZ1, a 2005 KLR650, and a 2003 KLX400. I'm looking in the backyard and going "hmmmm.....". The Versys could pretty much replace what I use the FZ1 and KLR for. Not quite as good as either one at a few specific tasks, but certainly does both to a high degree. Sums up what I think of the bike.

After the Versys was broken in, I was surprised how much power it does have, and how good it starts to sound making it. So far a radiator guard, hand guards for wind protection (because it wants to run fast), and maybe a bit taller screen (I'm 6'2") would be all I needed before tackling a long trip, say the Dempster. I may pimp it up a bit more for fun, waiting to see what luggage options come out (don't want side openers like the Givi cases Kawi sells). I would like a centerstand, would do that if it's feasible, for maintenance, tire changes.

It's not the type of bike I'd take on something rough like the North Canol, but frankly I'll take my Jeep on those trips since they often need lots of extra fuel. You can only carry so much on a bike, and I find it frustrating not to take sidetrips for fear of running empty. (The Jeep has a couple flat rectangular boat tanks on the rack, so it's a bit of a supertanker). For the Dempster, South Canol, roads through the Caribou or Chilcotin, no problem.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:43 PM   #431
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,204
it's coming to the US for 2013! info to be released oct 2
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motor...Versys1000.htm
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:39 AM   #432
jmlmjmjm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
it's coming to the US for 2013! info to be released oct 2
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motor...Versys1000.htm
I hope you're right but Kawasaki's website was updated yesterday with the two new Ninja's, every bike is now a 2013, and there is no Versys 1000.

Maybe another big debut in the works?
jmlmjmjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:41 AM   #433
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,623
It says it is coming to the USA with details released on October 2nd 2012.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

George Carlin
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:57 AM   #434
Zammy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
There are more Kawasaki "Events'' to be announced on Oct. 1st.
Zammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:33 PM   #435
aquadog
Dude Buddha

Now that it's getting dark at nights, I can say that the headlight is also pretty good. Dark at night...what a concept. Come spring we'll be welcoming more light! SW-Motech now has some accessories out, centre stand, luggage, engine guards, skid. There's also radiator guards, some other brands of engine guards and luggage racks, handguards and the like. After market seems to be starting to respond. For Canadians, try A Vicious Cycle. Still pleased. Soon time to put the bike away for winter, but next spring I'll add a couple items.