User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2011, 01:26 PM   #1
ThatOtherGuy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Bicycles on the road

What is the proper way to pass a bicyclist going in the same direction that you are?

I've passed a few and just moved over to the left side of my lane while they are on the right side.

Should I actually move over into the other lane?
Old 10-12-2011, 01:28 PM   #2
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,582
If the bicycle is at the far right, I will slow to about 30 mph and pass within the lane, at the extreme left, but only if I cannot move the the opposite lane. If able to move to the opposite lane I will always do so.

If the bicycle is not at the far right, I wait until I can pass using the opposite lane.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
Norhasken
Tryin' to find my way

Oddometer: 18,228
As much separation as you can get.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
kpt4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,671
Just give them as much space as you can within the lane. If the guy is so far into the lane that you can't get past, wait until you can do so safely, but that's fairly non-courteous on his part. On a narrow, quiet winding road, I'll go out into the other lane, if it is safe to do so, but I don't believe this is to be a necessity. If your bike is loud, consider not hammering on it until you give them a bit of space (also, if your bike is loud, consider fixing it, for the sake of all people and motorcyclists everywhere).

Really, just use any reasonably good judgement. No need to over-analyze this one.

(From a motorcyclist, cyclist, and a runner)
kpt4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:27 PM   #5
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,140
3 feet is the accepted minimum.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:35 PM   #6
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
Roll up behind them with the clutch pulled in and idling, then hit your Fiamms , rev it up, and pop the clutch so you wheelie right on by...
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:38 PM   #7
NC Scott
MOmymamamamaMOmymama

Oddometer: 1,498
Taken from the South Carolina DMV (Your laws may vary):

Quote:
Remember, it is unlawful to harass, taunt or maliciously throw an object at or in the direction of any person riding a bicycle. Here are some of the critical points to remember:

1. When attempting to pass a bicyclist, you must treat the bicycle as any other vehicle you would pass.

3. The horn should be used to attract the bike rider’s attention and not as a threat to get out of your way.

4. Drivers must be careful when driving close to cyclists and should maintain a safe operating distance between the motor vehicle and the cyclist.

5. Before passing a cyclist in a narrow traffic lane, wait until the traffic is clear in the opposite lane and then change lanes to pass the cyclist. Do not attempt to squeeze past the cyclist.
Edited those that did not specifically relate to passing.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:45 PM   #8
johnnuke
Submariner

Oddometer: 197
Thanks for your concern...

At least you asked. Lots of folks would rather just hit us.

As an avid triathlete and cyclist I say just move as far to the left of the lane as you can. If there is a decent shoulder, we cyclists will probably be using it anyway, so just sliding to your left a little bit is enough. If there is no shoulder, just do whatever you can to get enough separation to safely pass (in the lane, out of the lane, whatever). We are expecting to get passed so it doesn't usually surprise us.

As for the cyclists who ride the middle of the lane there is usually a reason (unless the guy is just a clueless prick). I will usually ride the center of the right turn lane approaching an intersection to prevent prevent someone from squeezing by me and then immediately turning right without enough room (the classic right hook). I figure the car will be slowing for the turn anyway, so me at 15-20 mph isn't too much of an inconvienience.

Thanks for watching out for us. Us 2 wheeled guys gotta stick together.

-Bite off more than you can chew and then chew like hell.-

-I already pay a health insurance tax. Every 6 months they charge me $130 for running shoes.-
johnnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:52 PM   #9
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,962
I give them three feet and generally avoid moving over to the centerline where all the road grit and debris accumulates. One of my pet peeves is people who move all the way into opposing traffic to put a car width between them and a bicyclist. Giving a bike three feet versus causing other motorists to brake hard to avoid a collision. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:26 PM   #10
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOtherGuy View Post
What is the proper way to pass a bicyclist going in the same direction that you are?

Yes.

And for horses, too.

IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:36 PM   #11
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOtherGuy View Post

I've passed a few and just moved over to the left side of my lane while they are on the right side.

the best way to pass any cyclist is treat it like a car. if you've got room to pass in other lane. by all means do so. giving a cyclist LOTS of room is very much appreciated.

cars/trucks may get a bent mirror, but it's hospital and/or death for the cyclist.
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:41 PM   #12
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,205
I've ridden tens of thousands of miles on bikes, solo and with large groups. When I come upon a cyclist on a one-lane road that is winding or otherwise tricky to get into the other lane, I slow behind the cyclist until I know he/she knows I'm there. I can then tell if they know what they're doing. If they know what they're doing, they hold their line and I can pass with as little as a couple feet. If they don't know what they're doing, I get at least a car width room before I pass.

On a motorcycle, no need to even slow down. Just move to the left of the lane and keep rolling.

'91 Bill Holland Steel w/Dura Ace
'01 Z3 3.0 Coupe. The Clownshoe.
DiabloADV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:46 PM   #13
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
I'd agree with D-adv

As an avid bicyclist (mostly city riding), I much prefer that bikes and cages just go right on by. Nothing more annoying than a cager (usually, bike would be just as bad though) without the guts or ability to go on by. Lanes are insanely wide. Only on the most unusually narrow roads might there not be enough space for a cage to go by me when I'm peddling along (now whether they can keep up to pass in the first place is another matter ). I don't care whether you give me 3' of 6" as long as you don't run me over.

So contrary to some of the above posts, waiting and giving lots of space is not only not appreciated by this cyclist, its downright disliked. Also, it pisses off all the cages behind you and they'll often take out their frustration on the innocent bicyclist.

I've noticed an alarming number of bicyclist riding in the center of the lane for no reason. This is just plain obnoxious imho.

Like some of the above posters, I'll only ride in the center if there's a good reason - usually b/c I'm about to turn left.

(note, I realize the above is all in contravention of SC laws - I can't help it if the laws are dumb)

Also, when you are stopped up in traffic, try not to block wherever a bicycle will sneak through - usually on the right. Its annoying to have to weave in and out of a bunch of cages 'cause they can't all line up and leave one side or the other of the lane open. When I'm in the city I'm passing cars much more often than the other way 'round and I'm sure not giving y'all 3' of space

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:03 PM   #14
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
3 feet is the accepted minimum.
and "legal" minimum in many states (Utah included)
Old 10-12-2011, 06:10 PM   #15
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,875
Around here they (the bicyclists) think, and act, like they own the fucking road. The ride 2 or 3 abreast and DO NOT move over! One day on Clinton Road there was about 10 of them riding 2 abreast and when two of them heard me coming, they looked back and swung all the way out to the double yellow so they were then 4 across. I grabbed a handfull and shot right between the two jerk-offs at about 70 mph. I normally used give all these people lots of room, but what these idiots did pissed me off to no end. Even in the car, around here, they WILL NOT move over and stay 2 abreast. WTF??? They're the new bosses? All others with the temerity to use THEIR road will be forced to almost stop and then have to risk an improper passing ticket to get around these fuck-wads.
And before you start with the..............Oh, it's a couple of smart-asses on the bicycles, it happens all the time around here. My wife has the same shit happen to her.....a lot! I've asked others if they have the same experience with the bicycles, and the answer is always.............YUP!

GO FAST----------PASS CLOSELY----------SCARE 'EM!
Hey Bicyclists around here................................

Chris
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote