User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2014, 10:34 AM   #1
theshnizzle OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 846
What's my problem...my bike gets rave reviews..except from me

I did a lot of research on this bike before I bought it. Wasn't able to snag a test ride but, can't always. I had the single before I bought this one. So I get a smokin deal on a used one, and farkle it up to how I want it. It's not the color I like, my least favorite actually, but I couldn't walk away from the great price.

so I start riding it and compared to my single and of course it's way better than the thumper. But the more I ride it, the more I realize that it's. ....boring. I read a review from a brit mag and they got in bang on....the power comes on politely, each hp holding the door patiently for the next in line.....

I am paraphrasing somewhat but that was kind of the gist of it. I read another review where the journo says how it goes around corners on rails, how plush the ride is, how good the power is, how well the bike handles.....i had to go back and make sure I hadn't clicked on a different bike review by accident.

Every review I read from owners to journos love this bike, rave about it, and I find it just bores me silly. Not once have I had a big shit eating grin on my face on this bike. I keep waiting and hoping something exciting will happen, and it never does.

I don't wake up excited about going for a ride all day, and when I do go all day, I park the bike, get off and I have already forgotten about my ride. I don't even look back at the bike when I walk away.

But.....it's a good bike. It works. It's practical. It gets great fuel mileage. Carrys my groceries. Looks good. I really SHOULD like it. I tour constantly, I camp, I go on trips for a month at a time. Haven't on this bike though. But I am sure it would do that in exactly the predictable practical way it does everything else.

I have been looking at other bikes for the last couple weeks. I can't really afford it and the bike is set up for the ultimate practi. ..........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..........zzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzz. ..oh.....i must have nodded off for a second there.............

am I the only one who DOESNT like this bike and think it's the next best thing next to sliced bread? I should love it.......shouldn't I?

2008 BMW F650 GS. Red....37 litre aluminum hard bags...givi top case. ...hand guards...heated grips...TPM. ....various little metal guard thingys. ...ect, Ect, it's pretty well farkled. Comfort seat. Givi screen. Blah. ..blah....blah....
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:38 AM   #2
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,224
Not everyone has the same tastes.

Try keeping the RPM's up above 4k. That said, it's not going to blow your socks off, it's going to be competent.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:42 AM   #3
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,679
I once bought a bike getting rave reviews, an 82 Honda Sabre.
Magazine reviews are a joke. Owner reviews often get edited.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:45 AM   #4
windblown101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
Only matters what you think, not what others think. Lots of bikes that get rave reviews I find too boring for the purpose of having fun. What led you to this place you already know so no need to rehash it.

Ride it and dislike it (or park it) until you can dump it.

Maybe you can find someone that has a bike you would prefer to own and they would prefer to have the one you own and you can work a trade. I did this once and it worked out well. Otherwise just sell it or trade it in and be done with it.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:47 AM   #5
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Well I remember when the Subaru XT6 came out. The reviews were just gushing about the machine. Seemed like it would be the perfect car for me. Took it out for a test drive. Found myself going "really?" to it. It had all the performance of a Vespa, and none of the appeal.

No indeed. Many a review I hold a very different opinion from.
foxtrapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:58 AM   #6
theshnizzle OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by windblown101 View Post
Only matters what you think, not what others think. Lots of bikes that get rave reviews I find too boring for the purpose of having fun. What led you to this place you already know so no need to rehash it.

Ride it and dislike it (or park it) until you can dump it.

Maybe you can find someone that has a bike you would prefer to own and they would prefer to have the one you own and you can work a trade. I did this once and it worked out well. Otherwise just sell it or trade it in and be done with it.

Hmnnn. ...i would think about this but I would only want to do it with an inmate. I am not sure I would trust some nobber off kijiji. Maybe I am wrong and I know lots of people have done this with good results.

To the other poster....i think I forgot to use the word "competent" in my semi rant. Thanks for throwing that in there.
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:14 AM   #7
Starkmojo
Chief Totberry

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrapper View Post
?..It had all the performance of a Vespa, and none of the appeal...

Seriously it's all about what you like, you paid ( or maybe are still paying for) it. Wait till spring and sell it for something better. Get a good test ride in and flog it some. Get toy know the beast a bit.
Rule number one kid is don't be a dumbass like your old man
Starkmojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:14 AM   #8
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,261
I did the same thing but with a Kawi C-14 Concours.

Reviews said it was the best thing since gasoline.

I REALLY tried to like it. Farkled it like crazy with all the good stuff. The bike didn't do anything bad but it wasn't what I wanted- it felt FAST but "numb".

Lasted 1 summer. Told DW that I didn't like it- she didn't either after a few 2-up rides. Sold at a loss- life is too short to ride what you don't want.
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:28 AM   #9
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,284
I rode the F700Gs this fall for a tour in the Alps. I have a thumper at home.

My take was that the F700GS is a fine motorcycle, but my thumper is a better GS.

If anything, I totally agree. The small twin is kind of boring. And the stock tyres were horrid.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:39 AM   #10
aldend123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Improper suspension set up, under sprung, or worn suspension will make the bike feel pretty boring. The lack of confidence and the wallow make each turn a disappointment.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:45 AM   #11
popscycle
Fahren Away

Oddometer: 1,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2wheels View Post
I did the same thing but with a Kawi C-14 Concours.

Reviews said it was the best thing since gasoline.

I REALLY tried to like it. Farkled it like crazy with all the good stuff. The bike didn't do anything bad but it wasn't what I wanted- it felt FAST but "numb".

Lasted 1 summer. Told DW that I didn't like it- she didn't either after a few 2-up rides. Sold at a loss- life is too short to ride what you don't want.
Yup! I bought a bike reviewers said was the best in class and got great reviews. Although it hasn't changed much in over a decade, some riders still think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. It isn't. Bottom line, the thing was a turd of a bike with problems that should have been solved 10 years earlier. It was so far behind the times as to be a rolling museum piece - comparatively crappy electronics, crappy suspension, crappy handling, etc. It is not necessary to trash the brand or the model by identifying the bike but only to say you can't rely on reviews, internet bullshit or anecdotal data to determine what you like riding. Different people have different expectations and experience. And, as you aptly stated, life IS too short to be riding something you don't like. Find out what you want/like and get to it but be careful who you listen to along the way. The same folks who said my old bike was great also said the one I now have would be problematic and expensive. They were wrong again.

Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface!

2014 R1200GS | 2010 MX5 | BMW MOA

popscycle screwed with this post 10-21-2014 at 11:51 AM
popscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:46 AM   #12
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,391
Pretty much describes the way I felt about my 1200GSA. Paint it white and slap some Maytag badges on it, because to me it was just an appliance. Efficient, competent, practical and I even had one of the few that were reliable () but it didn't make my private parts tingle, and I didn't turn back for another look when I walked away from it after a ride.

Life's too short, get something that makes you smile. For me it was a Guzzi, but we're all wired differently.
Garp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:55 AM   #13
pjm204
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,955
Should have bought a strom....
Past bikes: XT225, TTR125, '04 CRF50 '74 DT125,'70 TS250,'85 v45, '89 zx600c, '78 GS400x, '99 GS500E, '01 GS500E '05 Z750s, '77 GS400e, '82 GS1100ez, '97 GSX600, '07 VFR800, '03 KLR650, '03 FJR1300, '06 DL1000, '00 KLR650, '99 WR360, '08 DL650, '05 DR650, '08 EX650r, '96 CR500, '82 GS450T, '06 Ural
pjm204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 12:00 PM   #14
walterj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
Pretty much describes the way I felt about my 1200GSA. Paint it white and slap some Maytag badges on it, because to me it was just an appliance. Efficient, competent, practical and I even had one of the few that were reliable () but it didn't make my private parts tingle, and I didn't turn back for another look when I walked away from it after a ride.
I've only got a little over 1k miles in the saddle of the R1200 but I'm going to agree. I've got a well kept '07 GSA. It's rock solid on the highway. Handles OK. Goes down wet dirt roads OK. Hauls luggage and groceries OK. The engine has all the character of agricultural implements and it's so slow compared to my previous V4 jap bike that I thought there might be something wrong with it when I first cracked it wide open and didn't teleport anywhere.

I bought it for a reason... versatility. I fancied myself a grown-up who wanted a swiss army knife. I'll use it like I intended for a while and see if it grows on me like a good pickup does (once you have one... you can't live without one) or... if it really is just the minivan of bikes and needs to go.
walterj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 12:01 PM   #15
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Not everyone has the same tastes.

Try keeping the RPM's up above 4k. That said, it's not going to blow your socks off, it's going to be competent.
+1 on this - I think if you've got all that stuff hanging on the bike plus you, your gear, maybe a passenger, etc. you just need more oomph. You shouldn't have to wring it's neck to get a pleasurable ride out of it. I have a Yamaha WR250R and love the way it rides, it's an amazingly stable and comfortable bike on even the roughest terrain, but I keep wishing it was a 450. It still makes me smile, though, because it is a very competent bike and fun to ride, but I could trade it (for a KTM?? ) and never look back. I have an 1150GS that gives me the tingles every time I ride it, never fails, and I will never get rid of that bike.

A bad day of riding a motorcycle is far better than the best day of sitting at this fucking desk on a beautiful Fall afternoon trying to work, so get over it or sell it and get something that excites you.

Doug