User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2015, 12:13 PM   #1
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,478
Thumb GOING TUBELESS: initial impressions on the TUbliss system

i heard about TUbliss years ago and it sounded like a gimmick and tricky to fit. plus they did have some small issues with their first version which was enough to make me stick with ultra heavy duty tubes for a while, then mousses on the dirt bike.

but the second generation ones seem to get nothing but rave reviews, so bit the bullet and got the rear one as i was getting fed up with the short lifespan of mousses. i've done a few rides now and essentially love it. it was easy to fit, allows very low pressures and all i have to carry is a small tubeless repair kit and a little bike pump for any possible punctures.

i'm now going ahead and getting the front TUbliss as well and will report back when i've got a pile of riding done on both.

i've done plenty of riding on the TUbliss now so here's a full review. i can't rave about these enough and think that the vast majority of dirt riders would benefit from running these. all indications are they last for years, so are probably even cheaper than tubes in the long term.

they are much better than mousses in most regards... the only advantage i can see with a mousse is get a bit more rim protection if slamming into rocks and tree roots at high speed so mousses may still be more suitable for racers if they don't mind the cost and short lifespan of mousses.

B1 screwed with this post 07-04-2015 at 02:45 PM
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:45 PM   #2
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,774
I was on the fence... Leaning heavily towards going tubliss... now I really want to do it!!

Quick question... I'm sure I can find the answer if I look but since I already have a post I will be lazy...

Can you run Slime with Tubliss to avoid leaks due to cactus punctures?
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:31 PM   #3
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

i've heard of guys doing that, i assume it's successful as i haven't of anyone saying it's not worth doing, might be good to read around more though or maybe even ask the TUbliss guys?
Old 06-02-2015, 09:35 PM   #4
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,925
I run stans sealant in the installs I've done. 4 installs in the rear wheel on various dirt bikes over 3 or so years with only one flat ever. Never ran the front as a normal tube or bib mousse have fit my needs. Totally recommend as you can run low psi no problem.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:21 AM   #5
gastone
R.I.P. sweet Angus

Oddometer: 2,456
Put in tubliss last summer on my rear. Install was easy, just follow the instructions. Works terrific. I'm on the fence on whether or not to put it in the front. My thought in doing the front is chiefly weight savings when overnight dualsporting... don't want to carry any tubes if I don't have.

I sure do like the idea of plugging a hole on the side of a trail in lieu of changing out a tube trailside.
VAC
You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty...
gastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:15 PM   #6
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastone View Post
... I sure do like the idea of plugging a hole on the side of a trail in lieu of changing out a tube trailside.
same here. i've been reading more and hear quite a few guys have opted for six ply tyres like the bridgestone ED78 and say even if they get a puncture they just keep riding... apparently you can run them at 0 psi if you want maximum traction or just about 5psi for faster cruisy dirt rides.

so if you get a puncture you just make sure you don't hit tree roots or square edged rocks too hard so your rims don't risk getting dented. sounds pretty sweet to me!
Old 06-03-2015, 01:42 PM   #7
Roam
If you want to

Oddometer: 1,082
I don't know if they've changed the design since 2010, but I had the tubliss system in my WR250 when I did the TAT and back and can't recommend them for long distance riding. The rubber block holding the valve stem tends to rip and then puts a lot of pressure on the inner tubes which then rip along the length of the tube near the valve stem. The tubliss system also requires a huge amount of wheel weights to get it balanced.

I don't doubt they're great for pure off road riding where you don't cover a lot of miles but I wouldn't recommend them for adventure touring.

Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 03:53 PM   #8
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roam View Post
...The rubber block holding the valve stem tends to rip and then puts a lot of pressure on the inner tubes which then rip along the length of the tube near the valve stem. The tubliss system also requires a huge amount of wheel weights to get it balanced....
the design has changed a while back and resolved a few niggling issues that some guys encountered. nowadays the problems only seem to crop up when the installation instructions aren't followed.

the rim lock on the new system actually weighs less than a lot of standard rim locks so should only need the same mount of weights for balancing or even less.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:02 PM   #9
blown7.3lps
Brian

Oddometer: 659
here is a thread on tubliss

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=tubliss

just installed the latest tubliss on the front wheel of my wr250r that i mostly street ride with. I noticed the rim lock is smaller then the first generation of tubliss. will be adding some wheel weights tomorrow.

bought a 2000 ktm 300mxc about 2 years ago that came with a trials tire with the first generation of the tubliss system installed on the rear. worked well, but not knowing what i was doing when i went to change the trials tire for a new to me used off road tire, i mangled the tubliss bladder pretty well and pinched the inner tube. ordered a new tube on ebay and reinstalled the system back on the wheel and installed the tire as well, all using the video instructions on tubliss's web site. was very easy ones the process was followed correctly. now running the rear off road tire at around 3 or 4 psi and haven't touched anything in months now with multiple rides with no issues.

if ur off roading only u probably wont notice the out of ballance wheel due to the rim lock. but deffenenly notice it on the front wheel of my wr on the highway at 55 to 70mph.
blown7.3lps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 02:48 PM   #10
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by blown7.3lps View Post
....if ur off roading only u probably wont notice the out of ballance wheel due to the rim lock. but deffenenly notice it on the front wheel of my wr on the highway at 55 to 70mph.
same here, i noticed a wobbling at speed on the highway. there was a rumour going around that the TUbliss needed much more counter weighting than a rim lock but this isn't true, the rim lock built into the TUbliss system is no lighter or heavier than any standard rim lock so just needs the same amount of balancing, if any.

i've done plenty of riding on the TUbliss now so here's a full review. i can't rave about these enough and think that the vast majority of dirt riders would benefit from running these. all indications are they last for years, so are probably even cheaper than tubes in the long term.

they are much better than mousses in most regards... the only advantage i can see with a mousse is get a bit more rim protection if slamming into rocks and tree roots at high speed so mousses may still be more suitable for racers if they don't mind the cost and short lifespan of mousses.

Old Today, 07:34 AM   #11
K75STER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
I've run the Tubliss system F&R on both my dualsported XR400 &XR 650 for about the last 5 yrs. I love it, flats are a thing of the past.
A couple weeks ago I found a nail in the rear of the 400, when I pulled it out it was about 2" long and I was worried that it might have punctured the red thick protector of the high pressure tube, so I took the tire off to check-not even close.
I run slime in the tire void as extra insurance.
Any future dirt bike I get will have these installed ASAP!