User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2015, 08:14 PM   #1
Leo Vince OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Seeking Advice on Selling a Motorcycle

Please excuse me if this is in the wrong place. Figured this was a place where those with experience selling motorcycles would be...

Have a couple KTM's that I want to sell, but am concerned about having strangers coming over and checking out what I have in the garage. Also, if someone wants to take a test ride, what's to keep them form just riding away? Do you get their drivers license?

Was contemplating consignment, but between the 2 bikes it would be about $800 or more in fees. (going to ask $4k and $5k).

Any advice?
Leo Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:18 PM   #2
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 15,041
No test rides, meet them in front of the police station if they seem sketchy.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:20 PM   #3
PNWOFFROAD
n00b

Oddometer: 8
For test rides I ask for cash in my hand and their car keys typically. Never had an issue pretty easy to read people when they show up.
PNWOFFROAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:38 PM   #4
w33b8t1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
I usually let people come to my house, but everything is locked up and put away.

I just appear that I only have one thing and it is what it for sale.

I haven't ever had anyone ask for a test ride.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:52 PM   #5
sparkingdogg
Prisoner In Disguise

Oddometer: 313
I don't ever sell them. Problem solved.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:04 PM   #6
Stroked 550
Dirt Nut

Oddometer: 402
pre qualify the interested parties to make sure they got the cash and want to buy that day

then meet them at a public place, rule #1 never have a stranger from CL at your house
Old Yesterday, 05:51 AM   #7
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 5,675
Bought and sold many bikes... Have always went with gut feeling.

Have bike in driveway as you showed in the ad. Test rides depending on a bunch of stuff, again gut feeling and how the discussion went up till this point.

Otherwise, you give me money, I give you title and keys, good luck and good bye.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:16 AM   #8
Baroquenride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 958
If they're street legal bikes then they're going to get your address anyway from the title so that's a moot point. Use common sense and intuition. High $$$ bikes will keep the riff raff away anyway.
Old Yesterday, 07:07 AM   #9
billmags
Scoot Jockey

Oddometer: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
Bought and sold many bikes... Have always went with gut feeling.

Have bike in driveway as you showed in the ad. Test rides depending on a bunch of stuff, again gut feeling and how the discussion went up till this point.

Otherwise, you give me money, I give you title and keys, good luck and good bye.

This^ and give 'em a cold engine to start.
The phone conversations will usually weed out some of the flakes.
Remember, you're in no hurry to sell so you don't want any payment plans or doing any transporting prior to payment, or letting someone use your plate to get home.
ZRX1200
TW200
billmags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:17 AM   #10
PA1018
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Selling

All the above. I do not allow test rides. I will tell them that after they hand over the cash they can take it for their first ride (with me following) and if they don't like it I gladly give them their money back. Only ever had one guy take me up on this and it has helped me sell many bikes.

The good guys far outnumber the bad guys, but the bad guys are still out there.
PA1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:40 AM   #11
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 15,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked 550 View Post
pre qualify the interested parties to make sure they got the cash and want to buy that day

Had one get all huffy and puffy over that once, yes..I need to make sure you have money before I ruin my Saturday to meet you.

I've had a few come to my house, like has been said, your address is on the title. I have only brought the pistol out for one guy that seemed super creepy, I didn't need it, he was a super entitled hipster douche bag that brought his Daddy and a helmet after I'd told him ten times that he's not gonna be riding it.
Old Yesterday, 07:53 AM   #12
oldtouring B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Trust your gut..

I always use eBay and Craigslist and a website for the make of bike. If I get a contact that doesn't feel right, I will agree to meet at a public place. If test riding is important to the buyer then I put him down as a joyrider. Money first.. That will eliminate them real quick.

You can tell after 5 minutes if you have a qualified buyer or a PITA ..good luck with your sale..
oldtouring B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:11 PM   #13
scfrank
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,403
Sell em here on flea market. Never had a problem.

Test ride? With cash in hand, depending on value of bike and appraisal of buyer.

It's a great topic for discussion, but the participants need to act mature.
scfrank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM   #14
stevo7706
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
I wouldn't get too wound up about it. Use common sense. Always TALK to a serious buyer on the phone. I have no problem showing off my shop, bikes, or letting someone test ride. I've met some great people buying and selling stuff. It can be an opportunity to meet likeminded enthusiast.
stevo7706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM   #15
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,772
I put "No joyrides" in the ad. If the guy shows up on a bike, and if he looks like he knows how to ride, and if he has some gear on, and if I like him, and if he seems like he is actually looking to buy I might let him ride it .... The bike for sale will be out of gas. I'm going to be on a faster bike with gas in it. Have never had a problem. If it's a cheap beater bike I don't bother. Comprehensive insurance covers theft. A few tire kickers have wasted my time but Im not going to give them my time unless I'm hanging out there anyway. If I'm out working or riding or whatever it's not the time to see my bike.

Most jackasses will reveal themselves on the first phone call or email. Don't even let it go any further.

Worst case scenario is someone dumping your bike and suing you. Maybe even dumping it intentionally for this purpose. Never had this happen but it is possible. Holding their money or anything else won't protect you from this asshole.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote