Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 04:10 AM   #1711
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post
You ain't gettin' it.

You're responsible for everyone in sight and a lot who aren't. Fortunately the vast majority of them don't need you to DO anything to exercise your responsibility well. if You don't act like an idiot that's all it takes most of the time. That's how you get somewhere. But a few of them do require some action on your part, including the total idiot who can get into a deadly accident if you set him up for it. You can't keep him/her out of trouble everywhere but right now, in this situation you can act in a way that helps prevent them from exercising their stupidity to the fullest. And this is something you have an ethical and moral responsibility to do. My people have a word for it: mitzvah. Among many things it means duty.

Good day, this thread is getting silly.
yes

everybody has morale responsibiliy

for everything they can ???????

you can fill in the answer

anything

cheers
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:15 AM   #1712
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,374
Let me get this straight.

MC riders are supposed to ride so that they're safe. That means moving about in their lane. It means doing the 'drunk cyclist's weave' when coming up to someone waiting to turn left (you DO do the drunk cyclist's weave, right?!). etc etc etc

But get on a bicycle and you're not 'allowed' to do any of the above?

...and that makes sense?

Riding a bicycle and riding a MC *is the same thing* except for the motor. How that's so hard to figure out is beyond me

M
Old 03-22-2013, 07:23 AM   #1713
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,374
Even in boating:

Danger (Give-Way) Zone

The green sector on your boat, that sector defined by your green sidelight, is your Danger Zone or your Give-Way Zone.
This extends from the centreline on your bow (dead ahead) to 22.5 abaft the starboard beam, or 112.5 from the bow, along your starboard side.
When another skipper sees your green light, he has the right of way...green for go. When you have a boat in your green sector, you must take early and substantial action to avoid collision.

Overtaking: The vessel that wishes to overtake is the Give-Way Vessel. The vessel being overtaken is the Stand-On Vessel.
The Stand-On Vessel maintains course and speed. The Give-Way Vessel must take early and substantial action to avoid the Stand-On Vessel.

Just sayin

M
Old 03-22-2013, 07:56 AM   #1714
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,228
Quote:
Getting the hint that Roderage was an idiot, you could have pulled off and let him by in your lane. No accident everybody lives, at least this time.

But you didn't. You were more interested in being a self righteous prick. You think you have no responsibility? It took Roderage to pull the trigger, but you handed the fool a loaded gun.

Live with yourself.
So the bicyclist on the side of the road is guilty when some dipshit crosses the double yellow on a hill instead of waiting for a safe time to pass? What if said dipshit did this in a work zone - does it then become the DOT workers fault? Do you read what you type before hitting 'submit'?
Old 03-22-2013, 08:49 AM   #1715
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,508
Quote:
so you judge it isn't safe, you block the lane, Roderage Jr. passes you in the oncoming lane on a blind hill. Head on accident. Roderage kills himself, both adults and two children in the oncoming car. The remaining child in the oncoming car is severely injured and now without parents.

Getting the hint that Roderage was an idiot, you could have pulled off and let him by in your lane. No accident everybody lives, at least this time.

But you didn't. You were more interested in being a self righteous prick. You think you have no responsibility? It took Roderage to pull the trigger, but you handed the fool a loaded gun.

Live with yourself.

Or maybe there is no accident. The oncoming car swerves across the double yellow in time to miss Roderage. Now they are in YOUR lane and coming at you.

You be lucky to live with that one.
Roadrage Jr

Quite the vivid imagination you have there. Do you write mystery novels? So what if roadrage Jr decided to clip the side of the bike while you were all the way over letting him by. Your doomsday scenario is a bit unrealistic. Maybe if he was passing a box truck or semi truck but a bicycle? Get real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbeen View Post
Haha there is no way in hell an atgatt rider who has good judgement and skill has a higher fatality rate per mile than a bicyclists who rides 30mph below the speed limit in the middle of the lane.

Give it up
Out of all the riders in the US how many are ATGATT. Take 2006 for example(the quickest year I could find results for both form the same website...there were 4810 motorcyclist deaths verses 773 bicyclists.

http://trafficsafety.org/safety/shar...ies-fatalities

Quote:
You ain't gettin' it.

You're responsible for everyone in sight and a lot who aren't.

Bullshit!

Fortunately the vast majority of them don't need you to DO anything to exercise your responsibility well. if You don't act like an idiot that's all it takes most of the time. That's how you get somewhere. But a few of them do require some action on your part, including the total idiot who can get into a deadly accident if you set him up for it.

Set him up for it? WTF are you talking about?

You can't keep him/her out of trouble everywhere but right now, in this situation you can act in a way that helps prevent them from exercising their stupidity to the fullest. And this is something you have an ethical and moral responsibility to do. My people have a word for it: mitzvah. Among many things it means duty.

In other words, get off the road? ((())) That's not an option.

Good day, this thread is getting silly.
It certainly did get silly with those two posts. I'm almost certain some of you posting here have road rage tendencies.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:53 AM   #1716
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
So the bicyclist on the side of the road is guilty when some dipshit crosses the double yellow on a hill instead of waiting for a safe time to pass? What if said dipshit did this in a work zone - does it then become the DOT workers fault? Do you read what you type before hitting 'submit'?

Yeah, some idiot that crosses over the double yellow on a hill for a bicycle will most certainly do the same for any slow(er) moving vehicle they encounter...

Old 03-22-2013, 12:30 PM   #1717
bumbeen
Banned

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Roadrage Jr

Quite the vivid imagination you have there. Do you write mystery novels? So what if roadrage Jr decided to clip the side of the bike while you were all the way over letting him by. Your doomsday scenario is a bit unrealistic. Maybe if he was passing a box truck or semi truck but a bicycle? Get real.

Out of all the riders in the US how many are ATGATT. Take 2006 for example(the quickest year I could find results for both form the same website...there were 4810 motorcyclist deaths verses 773 bicyclists.

It certainly did get silly with those two posts. I'm almost certain some of you posting here have road rage tendencies.
Very few, I'm calling out the nonsense of saying hey motorcycles have to deal with the same thing! No they don't, they aren't going 30 below in the center of the lane!
bumbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #1718
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Very few, I'm calling out the nonsense of saying hey motorcycles have to deal with the same thing! No they don't, they aren't going 30 below in the center of the lane!
Maybe not the passing part but they have a lot in common when some dumb ass comes on over into your lane or comes around a corner towards you in your lane.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #1719
RedShark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,247
Yeah, you just haven't been SMIDSY'd until you've ridden a bicycle in a busy street environment.

And one thing you better understand if you are gonna ride streetbikes is that the best rider in the world can be fatally taken out by a SMIDSY.

( Sorry Man, I Didn't See You )

Ergo: we ( motorcyclists ) would do well to advocate for the benefit of responsible CYCLISTS of all stripe.

Ask not for who the screeching brakes toll, they toll for thee.
RedShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:41 PM   #1720
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingoff View Post
i'm not talking legalities

i;m talking peoples mind sets

and i'm the one coming the other way who suffers for it

so have a little think about your actions

before you put other people at risk

in aus we have law(correct if i'm wrong)

even if your in the right and did not avoid the/cause the accident

then you are in the wrong

just think

as i said before i have

been to some terrible accidents

the cyclist/pedestrian/motorcyclist come off worse

so next time your forcing your rights

take a moment to think about

the fool in the cage who overtakes you on the blind corner

what can you do to stop that fool duing something foolish
What can you as the motorcycle coming the other way to stop that fool overtaking on the wrong side around that blind corner? Not be there .. or drive a Tank?
As the bicyclist going around that blind corner I should stop? For how many years?

YOU THINK about it.. it is unrealistic to expect the first vehicle to realize the idiocy of the second vehicle.. we all expect reasonable behavior .. The first vehicle should not ENCOURAGE unreasonable behavior by pulling to the side of the road.. if anything pulling to the center discourages the second vehicle trying to overtake.. THINK about it.

IF there is enough room AND the road surface is good then I'll be at the side.. if I judge there is not enough room for a vehicle to safety overtake between me and an unbroken line than I'll probably sit a little proud. My call. And I'll call it based on my safety 1st, anyone else 2nd.

============= Laws in OZ change state to state, as they do elsewhere. There is a principle of the "actions of a reasonable person". Read my last sentence in that view.

Warin screwed with this post 03-22-2013 at 03:49 PM
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:23 PM   #1721
bumbeen
Banned

I just disagree that you should be on a road where you're forced to do that at all. If the speed limit is over 25mph and there's no bike lane then you've no business mucking up traffic by being on it in the first place
Old 03-22-2013, 04:35 PM   #1722
RedShark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,247
Quote:
I just disagree that you should be on a road where you're forced to do that at all. If the speed limit is over 25mph and there's no bike lane then you've no business mucking up traffic by being on it in the first place
You have GOT to be kidding me with this, right ?

So if you live on a 35 mph road you can't conduct your life unless you have a motor vehicle ?

Yeah, that makes sense.

Tell me, when you are that self-centered, do you have an affect on the tides with the universe orbiting about you like that ?
RedShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:35 PM   #1723
fallingoff
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post
What can you as the motorcycle coming the other way to stop that fool overtaking on the wrong side around that blind corner? Not be there .. or drive a Tank?
As the bicyclist going around that blind corner I should stop? For how many years?

YOU THINK about it.. it is unrealistic to expect the first vehicle to realize the idiocy of the second vehicle.. we all expect reasonable behavior .. The first vehicle should not ENCOURAGE unreasonable behavior by pulling to the side of the road.. if anything pulling to the center discourages the second vehicle trying to overtake.. THINK about it.

IF there is enough room AND the road surface is good then I'll be at the side.. if I judge there is not enough room for a vehicle to safety overtake between me and an unbroken line than I'll probably sit a little proud. My call. And I'll call it based on my safety 1st, anyone else 2nd.

============= Laws in OZ change state to state, as they do elsewhere. There is a principle of the "actions of a reasonable person". Read my last sentence in that view.
you people really are simple minded

that is not an insult

just away of thinking

cliche

i know

its just thinking of another way of doing it

eg time/route etc

as a motorcyclist i avoid right turns/left turns for seppo's

as a cycllist i pick up and carry the bike across the road

to avoid the turn

in a cage i respect large vehicles turning/ not braking hard in front of them

etc.

yep typical modern cyclist

i don't give a damm about anybody else

travel in packs blocking all 3 lanes

but if i get in your way when ur commuting

you turn into , my road ,i'm more important

get that pushbike off the road

as i have said the road is not put there exclusively for you to train on ur push bike

as the yuppie /cycllist/motor cycle riders are extremely arrogrant

we cyclists/motor cycle riders are all going to get the backlash.

u won't as its just a passing fad for you

cheers
Old 03-22-2013, 04:40 PM   #1724
bumbeen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShark View Post
You have GOT to be kidding me with this, right ?

So if you live on a 35 mph road you can't conduct your life unless you have a motor vehicle ?

Yeah, that makes sense.

Tell me, when you are that self-centered, do you have an affect on the tides with the universe orbiting about you like that ?
Right, move to a city or something if you insist on bringing traffic flow down to 15mph cause you are too asinine to get on something with a motor
Old 03-22-2013, 04:40 PM   #1725
fallingoff
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Let me get this straight.

MC riders are supposed to ride so that they're safe. That means moving about in their lane. It means doing the 'drunk cyclist's weave' when coming up to someone waiting to turn left (you DO do the drunk cyclist's weave, right?!). etc etc etc

But get on a bicycle and you're not 'allowed' to do any of the above?

...and that makes sense?

Riding a bicycle and riding a MC *is the same thing* except for the motor. How that's so hard to figure out is beyond me

M
yes

different strategies

so you can get where your going safely and happy

minimising risk/exposure for yourself and everybody else

its called road manners

now all of you pls put on a happy face

and ride what u brung

cheers