Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 05:25 AM   #1801
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastard View Post
Just got back into bicycle riding after a 5 year hiatus. Met a guy in the neighborhood I started riding with. After 3-4 rides he mentions that he carries his CCW while on the bicycle. His argument is if the driver is intentionally trying to harm him, that is attempted murder and he has a right to defend himself. He says he has practiced drawing and shooting while riding. I don't ride with him anymore.
The Charles Bronson of the bicycle world...

So which part did you have an issue with? That he was prepared to defend himself, or where he kept his weapon?
Old 03-26-2013, 08:24 AM   #1802
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken View Post
The Charles Bronson of the bicycle world...

So which part did you have an issue with? That he was prepared to defend himself, or where he kept his weapon?
I'd probably be uncomfortable too, but *most* CCW people I've met are pretty level-headed overall. ...including my college roommate who's ALWAYS got a pistol on him outside work.

I don't get it, but everyone's different.

I'm headed out for a 3-hr ride here in about half an hour. Y'all keep the thread warm for me m'kay?

M
Old 03-26-2013, 08:39 AM   #1803
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Yeah, and being assertive regarding people screwing with you on the road is the best way to live that life.
We're not saying we are going to intentionally slow someone down but you have to take charge of the situation or you'll be sitting on the side of the road in the ditch for a lot of the day.
OK, I got a complaint here and it may not apply to you or gummee. It sure as heck applies to the members of my club and other wheelmen i see here and that's that they assert their 'rights' to ride 12 kph on a major artery when alternative slower routes exist. That's the core of it for me and it infuriates me when these guys brag how they 'calmed' traffic.

Legal or not, IMO, a bicycle has no business on a major artery at 1700h effectively reducing the lane count from 3 to 2. That same bicycle can be doing its 12 kph on a side street in peace and calm while allowing the cages to do their 65 kph or whatever they wish and all can coexist in peace.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:58 AM   #1804
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelish View Post
You must have never been to YouTube. :)
Good point. He may be overrun by idiots. No pun intended...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingoff View Post
gummy bear

just went for walk with my wife and dog

shared path with push bikes

we kept to the left, right for u

not one push bike gave warning when passing

went as close as possible

touched us

plenty of room not to

the dog wandered once

bike did not warn

so i could pull the dog over

he had the shits

both of us said sorry

not good enough for that fool

so as i keep saying cyclists are the same as the rest

no manners

arrogant

i when on a push bike never ride in this manner

on the drive home another cyclist did a very stupid act

the drivers saved him

works both ways buddy
I thought it was only arrogant Americans who did shit like that...like the one below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbeen View Post
I wouldn't bump gummee, but you're probably a good candidate for a mirror to the handlebar.
Thanks for offering to assault me(and possibly kill me) with a two-three ton vehicle.

You're a troll and an idiot.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:09 AM   #1805
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
OK, I got a complaint here and it may not apply to you or gummee. It sure as heck applies to the members of my club and other wheelmen i see here and that's that they assert their 'rights' to ride 12 kph on a major artery when alternative slower routes exist. That's the core of it for me and it infuriates me when these guys brag how they 'calmed' traffic.

Legal or not, IMO, a bicycle has no business on a major artery at 1700h effectively reducing the lane count from 3 to 2. That same bicycle can be doing its 12 kph on a side street in peace and calm while allowing the cages to do their 65 kph or whatever they wish and all can coexist in peace.
You won't get any argument from me on that issue. Someone else said it was legal to ride on the interstates in their state. Its illegal here, as it should be, and as any sane person who rides would agree.

This has been hashed over again and again, there is and always will be asshole bicyclists, scooter riders, motorcyclists, car drivers, pickup drivers(probably the worst around here) and tractor-trailer drivers.

You never here about non incidents as nothing happened but you will always remember the "one" jerk who either slowed you down unnecessarily slowed you down or the jerk who ran you off the road.

If waiting for a few seconds for a safe opportunity to pass or just being stuck behind a bicyclist pisses a person off, that person should step back and take a good hard look at themselves and start thinking maybe they have a problem, not the bicyclist.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:26 AM   #1806
slide
A nation in despair

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
If waiting for a few seconds for a safe opportunity to pass or just being stuck behind a bicyclist pisses a person off, that person should step back and take a good hard look at themselves and start thinking maybe they have a problem, not the bicyclist.
The problem here isn't a few seconds by any means but one bicycle in certain areas I've seen them slowly loping along creates a massive traffic jam. The folks in back have no idea what's up. Then you add a bus stopped in the road and the wheelman goes around the bus thus blocking two of three lanes.

I have no sympathy for a cager who can't wait 'a few seconds' but that's hardly the cause of my posts here. A few seconds is fine. A mile or two being slowed to the wheelman's 12 kph is hardly a few seconds and it must seem awfully long.

One saving grace the wheelman has over some bikers is that at least they aren't running open pipes like some incredibly offensive bikers on a certain brand do.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:35 AM   #1807
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,317
Quote:
I wouldn't bump gummee, but you're probably a good candidate for a mirror to the handlebar.
If it were up to me, you'd be banned for saying this.
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:40 AM   #1808
slide
A nation in despair

Quote:
...an unwise threat, IMO.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:49 AM   #1809
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,994
Quote:
The problem here isn't a few seconds by any means but one bicycle in certain areas I've seen them slowly loping along creates a massive traffic jam. The folks in back have no idea what's up. Then you add a bus stopped in the road and the wheelman goes around the bus thus blocking two of three lanes.

I have no sympathy for a cager who can't wait 'a few seconds' but that's hardly the cause of my posts here. A few seconds is fine. A mile or two being slowed to the wheelman's 12 kph is hardly a few seconds and it must seem awfully long.

One saving grace the wheelman has over some bikers is that at least they aren't running open pipes like some incredibly offensive bikers on a certain brand do.
12 kph? That's like 7 miles/hr....who rides that slowly on purpose?

I'm pretty selective about where I ride and who I ride with. There are streets even in Phoenix that I'll avoid pretty much all the time. Some of these have bike lanes that peter down to no bike lane so those are avoided also except when I'm on a group ride.

The group rides are very early on the weekends when traffic is minimum and even then, most of the riders are assertive but generally ride single-file or occasionally side-by-side. Those side-by-side aren't common though even though it's 100% legal.

Our group takes safety seriously. Here's an email from the ride organizer after Saturday's ride:
75 cyclists signed in for the first Saturday Cycling ride of spring. Scott’s route update was appreciated as all 3 of the distance options were employed. Unfortunately, not everyone’s luck was good luck on Lucky-7 today. A few of us ended up cutting our ride short, and one motorist went home with a ticket for failure to yield the right-of-way. All involved are recovering well and on first inspection, no bicycles were seriously injured.

Speaking of traffic laws: red means stop. For the sake of our club’s reputation, public perception of all cyclists, and for your own safety, please obey the traffic laws and practice safe cycling on all PMBC rides.
I went by the group while the police were there and the driver appeared to be quite elderly.

I won't ride with hooligans - we raised a bit of hell riding in San Antonio in the 70's but I guess I outgrew that.

Quote:
...an unwise threat, IMO.
...and it contributes nothing to the conversation. This ain't jomomma.
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #1810
bumbeen
Banned

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
If it were up to me, you'd be banned for saying this.
Get out of the way and you won't need to worry about it
bumbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:51 AM   #1811
Dastard
Just another guy

Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken View Post
I have never had a problem on a bicycle unless I was on a road I knew I shouldn't have been on. This guy (even if half of his stories were true) seemd to be a magnate.

I don't mind riding with someone who carries, but I try to stay away from magnates.

D
Old 03-26-2013, 12:02 PM   #1812
slide
A nation in despair

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
12 kph? That's like 7 miles/hr....who rides that slowly on purpose?
Two groups do. 'Utility' wheelmen and those who could go 20 mph but are making a point ala CM.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #1813
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,317
Quote:
Next time I see a big minivan? coming up behind me with 'BUMBEEN!' written across the windshield, I'll make sure to dismount and wave.
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:58 PM   #1814
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Two groups do. 'Utility' wheelmen and those who could go 20 mph but are making a point ala CM.
I have no use for CM riders.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:59 PM   #1815
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
More threats? Let's make sure we document this so that if you're ever involved in an .... 'incident', someone's smart attorney might have a chance of finding your comments.