Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2013, 07:26 PM   #2071
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geolander View Post
I'm just going to point out that if you don't live Colorado's front range you don't know cyclist traffic.. .

I got 4 words for you.. Deer Creek Canyon Road

Fuck cyclists.

I got no respect for some asshole that's so self important that his workout includes risking the lives of people around him. Get on a bike path or pay for fucking registration and insurance, gay boys.

Fuck em..

...Fuck em.
Nice. Kiss your mom with that mouth do ya?

Lemme ask ya a question: do you or do you not know that Deer Creek Cyn is a popular riding spot for Boulder/Denver area cyclists?

If you know and STILL go up there and think that you're going to be able to drive like Batman chasing the Riddler, you're even more ignorant than this post would suggest.

If you don't know, well, now you do. Get over it. Just because people aren't doing exactly what you do for fun...

M
Old 05-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #2072
erkmania
Still Adventuring

Oddometer: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
So lemme get this straight: you're peeved about ONE DAY out of 364 other sunny days you could ride that particular stretch of road?

...and we're back to that whole 'insurance etc' line are we? Despite pretty much 100% of the riders in that group DRIVING to get to the ride in... *gasp* a 4-wheeled motor vehicle?! M
Playing on a weak hand, dude. I simply told you about the straw that broke the camel's back. This crap has been going on for a couple of years locally, but the last event was enough. As I stated, I have never altered my path because of cyclists until that day. The road wasn't blocked off by the authorities for a special event. It was blocked by antagonistic jerks. If, collectively, you can't control the a-hole bicyclists within your ranks then you deserve reasonable repercussions. This is just like the noisy Harley riders that rattle windows where ever they go. The law has caught up with them and now all U.S. motorcyclists have to deal with stricter noise abatement laws.

As to insurance. Moons ago I brought the subject up and was lambasted as some type of enemy. My concern is that bicyclists have the same rights to use the roads as everyone in motor vehicles. Yet, I wonder how many bicyclists own $10,000 bikes and live in an apartment w/o assets. If those types of cyclists manage to injure a motor vehicle operator (MVO) then how is the MVO going to be made whole post-injury. Is this scenario far-fetched? You bet! But, if the cycling collective can't play by the existing rules then the rules need to be changed until bicyclists can be held accountable for their actions.

I have an open mind about sharing the road, but the word "share" has been redefined. I'm not hep to the new meaning.

2011 BMW R1200GS, 2004 KTM 950, 1996 ATK 605 ESDS
erkmania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #2073
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkmania View Post
Playing on a weak hand, dude. I simply told you about the straw that broke the camel's back. This crap has been going on for a couple of years locally, but the last event was enough. As I stated, I have never altered my path because of cyclists until that day. The road wasn't blocked off by the authorities for a special event. It was blocked by antagonistic jerks. If, collectively, you can't control the a-hole bicyclists within your ranks then you deserve reasonable repercussions. This is just like the noisy Harley riders that rattle windows where ever they go. The law has caught up with them and now all U.S. motorcyclists have to deal with stricter noise abatement laws.
Yeah, good luck trying to control other MC riders on group rides too! Its not a bicycle-specific problem, its a '# of people doing the same thing' kind of problem. I don't disagree that dribs and drabs of people all over the road are a problem, but I DO disagree completely with the rest of your conclusions.

I've posted up somewhere above (or in the other bicycle thread that crops up in JM on occasion) that passing a group is better than a string of single-file riders. Sounds counter-intuitive till you stop and think about it (hint!), but how long is a semi? How long is a sedan? Which is easier to get around safely?

Quote:
As to insurance. Moons ago I brought the subject up and was lambasted as some type of enemy. My concern is that bicyclists have the same rights to use the roads as everyone in motor vehicles. Yet, I wonder how many bicyclists own $10,000 bikes and live in an apartment w/o assets. **If those types of cyclists manage to injure a motor vehicle operator **(MVO) then how is the MVO going to be made whole post-injury. Is this scenario far-fetched? You bet! But, if the cycling collective can't play by the existing rules then the rules need to be changed until bicyclists can be held accountable for their actions.
'Scuse me? A bicyclist injure the driver of a car?! Haven't you been reading the articles I'm linking to (or copying and pasting) above?! Show me ONE time where a bicycle rider has come out ahead in a car vs bicycle confrontation. G'head. I'll wait.

Quote:
I have an open mind about sharing the road, but the word "share" has been redefined. I'm not hep to the new meaning.
Share = not everyone on the road is doing the same thing you are. Not everyone on the road is going the same speed. Not everyone has the same skills. In short, its not your playground. Outriding sight distances? Not so good. Passing unsafely? Not good.

I'll even bet that overall, you've been held up longer by other 4-wheeled vehicles than you ever have by people on bicycles. I know its true for me. ...and I used to ride the same roads in East Sandy Eggo Co too! Mmmmm Banner Grade. Sunrise Hwy. Love those roads.

Hell, I'll bet that you've been held up longer by herds of Hardleys than you have bicycles!

...but go ahead and blame the bicyclists if it makes you feel better. We're an 'out group' so its easy to blame us.

Oh, and one more thing: if you see one of us at the top of a hill in the middle of nowhere, we had to pedal our spandex-clad asses out there. IME its much harder to pedal to get out there than it is to twist a throttle.

M
Old 05-06-2013, 09:15 PM   #2074
erkmania
Still Adventuring

Quote:
Yeah, good luck trying to control other MC riders on group rides too! Its not a bicycle-specific problem, its a '# of people doing the same thing' kind of problem. I don't disagree that dribs and drabs of people all over the road are a problem...M
Definitely a numbers game, but the added "me first" quotient is higher these days amongst all groups.

Quote:
'Scuse me? A bicyclist injure the driver of a car?! Haven't you been reading the articles I'm linking to (or copying and pasting) above?! Show me ONE time where a bicycle rider has come out ahead in a car vs bicycle confrontation. G'head. I'll wait.M
I'm sorry if you can't imagine how this might happen. I saw the results first-hand when an ambitious bicyclist over-cooked a turn and deposited his arm flesh onto an oncoming motorcyclist's bike. The motorcyclist crashed as a result of the collision. Clearly the bicyclist's fault that time.

As to a rider causing a car driver's injury? That's not hard to imagine either since bicyclists are not always predictable and may cause a driver to veer into the oncoming lane when the driver is startled by the cyclist's action. This is very unlikely and doesn't happen very often. Nevertheless...

Quote:
Share = not everyone on the road is doing the same thing you are. Not everyone on the road is going the same speed. Not everyone has the same skills. In short, its not your playground. Outriding sight distances? Not so good. Passing unsafely? Not good. M
Of course it's not my playground. OTOH, I don't arise in the morning with the intent of affecting any other road user's right to the road. I'd just as soon go about my business and allow you to go about yours. We shouldn't even be having these types of discussions.

Quote:
I'll even bet that overall, you've been held up longer by other 4-wheeled vehicles than you ever have by people on bicycles. I know its true for me. ...and I used to ride the same roads in East Sandy Eggo Co too! Mmmmm Banner Grade. Sunrise Hwy. Love those roads. M
I guess since I've been held up longer by cars then it should make poor bike riding behavior more palatable? Hmm....I'll chew on that a bit...

I love those roads, too. As to Sunrise, I had already slowed our group down to deal with the throngs of riders. That's the right thing to do. No matter. I got blocked by a bicyclist in the middle of my lane on a blind turn and I was traveling slightly slower than the 55 mph speed limit and leaned over about about 20 degrees. I slowed easily enough, but why should I have had to? Imagine a poorly skilled motorcyclist stabbing at his brakes. That might not end well. I suppose you could argue "too fast for conditions", but really?

Quote:
...but go ahead and blame the bicyclists if it makes you feel better. We're an 'out group' so its easy to blame us. M
Wow. What a stretch! That "out group" thing hasn't even entered my mind. Are you sure you don't feel inferior for some reason?

FWIW, I have no admiration for poor driving skills, either. We can spend the next few volleys examining close following distances in traffic, the lack of turnsignal use, foolish folks that travel 85 mph on the freeway in 3"of standing water, etc., etc. I think that group out numbers bicyclists and motorcyclists combined. Now, do you really feel so picked upon?

Quote:
Oh, and one more thing: if you see one of us at the top of a hill in the middle of nowhere, we had to pedal our spandex-clad asses out there. IME its much harder to pedal to get out there than it is to twist a throttle.M
Now explain to me why I should give a hoot about your means of propulsion. That just stinks of arrogance. Why don't you just ask me if I admire you?

And, perhaps you're just bad at twisting a throttle. Riding a motorcycle well is an art and takes a different kind of effort. Riding a dirt bike well even takes real physical effort. Of course, you know this since you are on a motorcycling forum.

As to your insurance quip. What does a bicyclist riding to his launch site in an insured car have to do with him riding on his uninsured bicycle from the launch site? That's a puzzler to me.

IMHO, I think you and I may have to agree to disagree. Be as safe as you can. Other people may be depending on how you behave out there just as they depend on me.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:20 AM   #2075
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,555
Quote:
The road wasn't blocked off by the authorities for a special event. It was blocked by antagonistic jerks.

Well maybe thanks to you the authorities will do the right thing and block it off for the next event.

If, collectively, you can't control the a-hole bicyclists within your ranks then you deserve reasonable repercussions. This is just like the noisy Harley riders that rattle windows where ever they go. The law has caught up with them and now all U.S. motorcyclists have to deal with stricter noise abatement laws.

Haven't been able to control self entitled asshole motorcyclists. Why do you think it will work for anyone else? Deafening noise levels and someone riding a bicycle in YOUR way are two entirely different things.

If those types of cyclists manage to injure a motor vehicle operator (MVO) then how is the MVO going to be made whole post-injury. Is this scenario far-fetched? You bet! But, if the cycling collective can't play by the existing rules then the rules need to be changed until bicyclists can be held accountable for their actions.

A bicyclist injuring a motorist? Well maybe if they pull a pistol.

You said yourself it was an event...which must have been advertised locally right? Why ride that road during an event? Unless you HAD to go that way why didn't you turn around and find an other road to ride?

bwalsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:05 AM   #2076
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,555
Quote:
I'm sorry if you can't imagine how this might happen. I saw the results first-hand when an ambitious bicyclist over-cooked a turn and deposited his arm flesh onto an oncoming motorcyclist's bike. The motorcyclist crashed as a result of the collision. Clearly the bicyclist's fault that time.

As to a rider causing a car driver's injury? That's not hard to imagine either since bicyclists are not always predictable and may cause a driver to veer into the oncoming lane when the driver is startled by the cyclist's action. This is very unlikely and doesn't happen very often. Nevertheless...

I hear about those types of accidents everyday and twice on Sundays.

Of course it's not my playground. OTOH, I don't arise in the morning with the intent of affecting any other road user's right to the road.

I guess you assume these "arrogant" bicycles riders you cry about do?

We shouldn't even be having these types of discussions.

You're the one who brought it up. Just saying...

I guess since I've been held up longer by cars then it should make poor bike riding behavior more palatable? Hmm....I'll chew on that a bit...

No, just go complain to the authorities about them too.

I love those roads, too.

So why not share it and ride elsewhere on bicycle "event" days...one out of three hundred sixty five days? Seem to me you're the one who doesn't want to share the roads with anyone or anything that doesn't go as fast as you.

As to Sunrise, I had already slowed our group down to deal with the throngs of riders. That's the right thing to do. No matter. I got blocked by a bicyclist in the middle of my lane on a blind turn and I was traveling slightly slower than the 55 mph speed limit and leaned over about about 20 degrees.

So you're pissed because a bicyclist didn't want a whole group of riders passing him/her in a curve?

If you were on your bike doing say 55 mph in a curve, would you want someone else in a car or pickup to blow by you doing 100+ mph?

I slowed easily enough, but why should I have had to?

Um, because there was something in the road in front of you. What if it had been a cage, truck, tractor, deer, bear, tree, whatever, in the road? Would you still feel slighted?

Imagine a poorly skilled motorcyclist stabbing at his brakes. That might not end well. I suppose you could argue "too fast for conditions", but really?

A poorly skilled motorcyclist who can't ride(or brake) within his/her means should either take a refresher class or park the bike. THEY would be more of a danger to all on the road than a pack of cyclists. Did you see the last video posted? The cyclists were on the white line and still got taken out by the idiot on the sport bike.

And, perhaps you're just bad at twisting a throttle. Riding a motorcycle well is an art and takes a different kind of effort. Riding a dirt bike well even takes real physical effort. Of course, you know this since you are on a motorcycling forum.
Perhaps you're just bad at insulting people. Unless you're off road there isn't much effort to riding. I don't see motorcycles advertised as a way to loose weight and stay in shape.
I hope you complain to the authorities when you get slowed down by everything else in YOUR way too.

bwalsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:07 AM   #2077
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
You said driver. Driver implies something with 4 wheels. ...and I'm pretty sure that the cyclists STILL came out behind on that one.

Quote:
Now you're grasping for straws. ...and WTF is someone doing *that* close to a cyclist if they're *that* unpredictable?! Just like you stay far away from kids, dogs, deer, etc. if you feel that way about bicycles, stay farther away.

If its safe to pass, its safe to pass safely. Use the whole road.

Quote:
Of course it's not my playground. OTOH, I don't arise in the morning with the intent of affecting any other road user's right to the road. I'd just as soon go about my business and allow you to go about yours. We shouldn't even be having these types of discussions.
I agree, but if you've read anything I've ever written on this subject, you'll see that as the recipient of rampant stupidity (which you've proven yourself capable of below) its up to me to 'help' folks make smarter decisions. Decisions that affect ALL of our safeties. Yours. Mine. The oncoming cars'. Everyone.

Quote:
I love those roads, too. As to Sunrise, I had already slowed our group down to deal with the throngs of riders. That's the right thing to do. No matter.
Awesome! Congrats on being able to share the road.

Quote:
I got blocked by a bicyclist in the middle of my lane on a blind turn and I was traveling slightly slower than the 55 mph speed limit and leaned over about about 20 degrees. I slowed easily enough, but why should I have had to? Imagine a poorly skilled motorcyclist stabbing at his brakes. That might not end well. I suppose you could argue "too fast for conditions", but really?
If you're trying to pass into a blind corner (especially in a car) have you stopped and thought about 'what's coming?' I know *I* do every time I come up on someone when riding the MC.

I don't particularly care about passing on a DY on a MC. There's a difference between unsafe and illegal. Something can be illegal but still be safe. First and foremost in my brain is 'is it safe?' If it isn't safe, it isn't safe. Blind corners, crests of hills, into oncoming traffic. None of them are safe to pass anyone, much less a cyclist. Stop and think about what you're about to do BEFORE you do it.

Quote:
FWIW, I have no admiration for poor driving skills, either. We can spend the next few volleys examining close following distances in traffic, the lack of turn signal use, foolish folks that travel 85 mph on the freeway in 3"of standing water, etc., etc. I think that group out numbers bicyclists and motorcyclists combined. Now, do you really feel so picked upon?
Yes to that last question. Despite stupidity being rampant while driving, it seems that cyclists get an inordinate amount of road rage directed at us. I spend 15+ hours on a bicycle/week. 250ish miles. Every week. All year. I get lots of crap from cars that would get shrugged off if I were a school bus, tractor, blue hair, etc. Somehow, me being on a bicycle brings out the worst, not the best in people. I don't get it, but its there. Come try it with me. You think people are trying to kill you on the MC?! Come ride a bicycle.

Quote:
IMHO, I think you and I may have to agree to disagree. Be as safe as you can. Other people may be depending on how you behave out there just as they depend on me.
I disagree with lots of people in this thread. People thinking its acceptable to run other people off the road, etc. Most importantly, I completely disagree with someone wanting to pass me unsafely. I'm the easiest person in the world to pass *if its safe.* If it isn't safe, I'm as wide as I can be till it *is* safe to pass.

The biggest question I have is 'would you do that to YOUR [son, daughter, wife, husband, other family member]?' If the answer's 'no,' then WhyTF would you do it to anyone else?

M
Old 05-07-2013, 09:12 AM   #2078
erkmania
Still Adventuring

Quote:
You said driver. Driver implies something with 4 wheels. ...and I'm pretty sure that the cyclists STILL came out behind on that one.M
I provide a good example of a real world injury caused by a bicyclist and you don't consider that he hurt somebody else, that he caused the collision and should be held accountable. Is everything in your world exclusively about you and other bicyclists?

Quote:
Now you're grasping for straws. ...and WTF is someone doing *that* close to a cyclist if they're *that* unpredictable?! Just like you stay far away from kids, dogs, deer, etc. if you feel that way about bicycles, stay farther away. M
Of course it's a grasp. But, it is a possibility on rural roads where unseen oncoming drivers are mixed in with bicyclists. I just tried to stoke your imagination.

What you and others have seemed to do is judge the entire world around you from your 15/20 mph perspective. You are the underdog. You are underpowered and underweight. You will lose every time. You should ride very defensively and unobtrusively. Instead, I see the opposite.

Also, it seems that you place your trust in the high quality of DMV licensed drivers. That strikes me as completely insane. That's why my mountain bike and I rarely venture onto the road.

My success off-road, on-road and road racing on motorcycles has only been possible because I don't let others dictate MY risks. And, I don't put myself in positions of physical conflict with other drivers/riders.

Quote:
If its safe to pass...Use the whole road.M
Whether it's legal or not? How about the legality of bicyclists blocking lanes? That's not legal in CA.

Quote:
I agree, but if you've read anything I've ever written on this subject, you'll see that as the recipient of rampant stupidity (which you've proven yourself capable of below) its up to me to 'help' folks make smarter decisions. Decisions that affect ALL of our safeties. Yours. Mine. The oncoming cars'. Everyone. M
Isn't that ironic. I'm trying to "help" folks, too. As to the stupid, I did slow down because I anticipated the presence of some self-righteous road hog.

Quote:
I don't particularly care about passing on a DY on a MC. M
Good for you. I don't really care either, but the local CHP does. However, I don't insist that others need to break the law while I'm riding or driving.

Quote:
Yes to that last question. Despite stupidity being rampant while driving, it seems that cyclists get an inordinate amount of road rage directed at us. I spend 15+ hours on a bicycle/week. 250ish miles. Every week. All year. I get lots of crap from cars that would get shrugged off if I were a school bus, tractor, blue hair, etc. Somehow, me being on a bicycle brings out the worst, not the best in people. I don't get it, but its there. Come try it with me. You think people are trying to kill you on the MC?! Come ride a bicycle. M
I'm trying to inform you about what's going on. I came here to voice that I had changed my position about sharing the road with bicyclists. In return, I have learned that it's all my fault from you and Bwalsh. Yet, not one bit of consideration that bicyclists may be behaving badly, too. It's all the rest of us.

The analogy about HD's and their loud exhausts was also wasted here. What failed to be understood is that the a-hole bicyclists may ruin it for the courteous riders among you. Laws may end up changing over this. I don't like the idea, but self-policing isn't working.

Quote:
I'm the easiest person in the world to pass *if its safe.* If it isn't safe, I'm as wide as I can be till it *is* safe to pass. M
So you dictate what's safe? Congrats. How can you not see why you are the recipient of road rage? You invite it.

Would I treat my family differently? No. I'd still push for mutual respect.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #2079
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 65,063
Quote:
Keep riding 'head's up!'

Let me get this straight: someone going eastbound hits a pair of cyclists going westbound and they have to figure out who's at fault?!

M
Tunitas Creek is pretty narrow and tight, so it's hard to tell. If the cyclists were cutting the corners on that road, which I've seen, there's potential for them to be at fault.

I was up there a few weeks ago and climbed that side. There were more than a few descending and taking a slice right out of the middle of the road.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:54 AM   #2080
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Was out MTBing yesterday. About 10 miles trail and about 20 miles on the road. Despite it being a bank holiday (think "Sunday Driving" incompetence on a grand scale, coupled with rush-hour heavy traffic):
only one car passed 'too close for comfort',
only one car pulled too far out without looking into our Right of Way (and even then, he stopped in time, just that he was jutting into our path by 2-3ft)
and
only one pedestrian who was on a cycle path (who incidentally, I said, "Excuse me mate" to, as I approached) was a dick as though I was somehow at fault,

The overwhelming majority of the thousands of car users were courteous and patient. Some even tooted and waved thanks as we pulled in to allow them to pass more safely and dropped into single file as we heard them approach. Overall, it was a very good day for 'relations with other road users'.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #2081
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
So you dictate what's safe? Congrats. How can you not see why you are the recipient of road rage? You invite it.
Wrong. I ride the way you're suggesting and I get hassled much more than the way I actually ride. I've tried it both ways. Mine works better.

Quote:
Would I treat my family differently? No. I'd still push for mutual respect.
I'm gonna call bullshit on this one. If your family member was one of those cyclists in the road, you wouldn't have driven anywhere close to the way you did. Pretty much no one would if it was their family member. I've seen it for the last 20 years... Shit don't change for the better unless someone in the immediate family starts riding something with 2 wheels.

I've see the results of what happens when a family member takes up MCing. All of a sudden everyone else in the family sees MCs everywhere and gives em a wider berth. Happens with bicycles too, just not nearly as often.

Mutual respect? Bah. Respect has to work 2 ways for it to work.

Respect from MC riders and car drivers means passing when its safe and giving a wide enough berth to make sure that its safe, not yelling or throwing things at us, etc. That's respect. Me giving up my rights to the road isn't respect.

Assertiveness works much better. Working with the driver behind you works much better. IOW use hand signals to tell em if it isn't safe to pass, etc.

There's more, but I gotta run

M
Old 05-07-2013, 05:02 PM   #2082
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by viajero
Fucking cattle in the road.

Semi-tight twisties, railing and smiling, then Whooooa. I could have pulled it's whiskers as I squeaked by.

Yes, I was riding faster than my sightlines allowed. It was a real wakeup call.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flei
It is NOT just unfamiliar roads that can bite you on the ass! Was out riding today on roads I have driven for 30+ years and know very well. Beautiful day, 80 degrees, clear, calm! Enjoying the many corners on a twisty, hilly, 2-lane, tree-lined, state hwy. with 50MPH posted limit, doing about 55. Begin a "blind" (can't see the exit), sweeping, banked, 30 degree curve and see a dead tree has come down across my lane. Other lane has on-coming traffic. I was able to stop in time. Had I been going 60= maybe. 65= serious problem.
Its not always bicycles.

M
Old 05-08-2013, 06:09 AM   #2083
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

From another forum:

Quote:
I’ve been a little hesitant to publically post this, but the positive reaction from one of Cincinnati’s finest deserves mention.

The location was Mt. Lookout Square, in urban Cincinnati, just this past Saturday afternoon. Despite the name, it is actually an irregular, two-lane, football-shaped loop, about 300 feet long, with a pair of roads, intersecting both the south and north ends in a “Y”. It is an old, village like, business district, with numerous restaurants, boutiques, and the like surrounding, and generally filled with pedestrians on nice afternoons. There are no less than 5 traffic lights, and 8 marked crosswalks all within a very compact area. A Google Map of the area (http://goo.gl/maps/4jhlH)

I entered the loop from the southwest on Delta Ave. Due to the narrow roadway, and street parking, the safe path through is to take the lane. It has never been an issue prior, and as the loop is only a few hundred feet long, it is impossible to impede traffic for long. However, the gentleman behind me must have felt that I was seriously hampering his afternoon, as he promptly started honking at me immediately after clearing the light. I looked back, but held my position, as I was going to continue on Delta as it exits the northeast side of the loop. The exit is a single lane pinch point, but quickly opens up to two lanes within 100 feet. Again, the gentleman was angered, and bleated out a quick succession of horn blows. As we hit the two lane portion, he laid on the gas, cutting sharply around me.

The Lexus driver was so fixated on me, that he must have failed to noticed the fully marked, Cincinnati Police cruiser in the position directly behind. Apparently, the officer had seen enough, and hit his light bar and siren as soon as the Lexus driver jerked around me, pulling him over within !00 feet. I voiced a “Thank You” to the still seated officer as I was pedaling past, and noticed him shaking his head at the man ahead. As I passed the driver, he screamed out “you must obey the law too!” Couldn’t help but mutter back, “I thought I was,” but left it at that. I did not stop.

I don’t know if the guy was ticketed, or just lectured. I’ve seen a lot of stupid stuff from motorists pulled in direct view of local officers without consequence, so the reaction was pleasantly surprising. Cincinnati does appear to be taking cycling safety seriously.

It should be noted that on the Saturday just four weeks prior, another Cincinnati officer, this one on bicycle, pulled into the driveway of a motorist that cut me off only moments prior. I had met her just a minute or two before, and after a pleasantry, continued North on MLK, a four lane urban arterial, with full bike lanes. She lagged behind doing the patrol thing. Several hundred feet on, a white SUV approached from behind, accelerated hard, laid on the brakes, and cut hard across my bow into their driveway, on the right. It wasn’t that close for me, although I did have to brake, and swing out of the bike lane a bit. I was thinking “just another bonehead… it wouldn’t have taken another 3 seconds to duck in behind me. “ Ironically, there wasn’t another vehicle to be seen heading the same direction. Nevertheless, a little further on, I notice the trailing officer ducking into the offending bozos driveway. Again, I don't know what transpired, but I was a little surprised by the reaction.

I did send a polite "Thank You" letter to the precinct captain.
Respect, huh?

M
Old 05-11-2013, 05:41 AM   #2084
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oh lookee! They allow motos in the bicycle area on the road.

M
Old 05-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #2085
filmfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
From the rough google translate, it's a special area reserved for motos and bicycles to give them more visibility at intersections.
Looks like a great idea, similar to what I often do on either cycle when I'm first up at a light intersection. That is, pull up ahead of the "Stop Line" to get some extra room from the cars.
(on the bicycle, of course, I'm over near the curb, unless there is a dedicated right turn lane).

streets under the strategy for all transport secretary df Road and in coordination with the Secretary of works and services started repavimetacion work and placement of pavement markings in the carrel Caules contemplated the extreme nght with cyclist and priority waiting area bikes and motorcycles, demoninada "Moto Bike Box", whose aim is to provide full visibility to ensure the circulation so comfortable and safe for all road users.
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote