Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2011, 05:28 PM   #16
BrandonR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
There's really only one rule I'd like you to follow when passing me: Treat me like a human not like an obstacle.

If I'm in the lane there's a good reason for it, don't assume you can see everything I see. If there's a decent shoulder I'll be on it.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:50 PM   #17
NC Scott
MOmymamamamaMOmymama

Oddometer: 1,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C.F.RIDER View Post

GO FAST----------PASS CLOSELY----------SCARE 'EM!
Hey Bicyclists around here................................

Chris
[/I]
http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/cr...eath-bicyclist

I have friends and former co-workers that were in the group when Dr. Burke was killed. From their accounts, the Defendant likely had a similar idea. Problem is he hit four people and killed one. He now faces vehicular homicide charges.

Seems like it would be easier to just wait, give plenty of room and go around.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:53 PM   #18
dolomoto
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer: 2,551
Hey, OCF...substitute whatever that is your're riding with a bicycle and me passing you like that.

Then what's your take?

We all gotta share the road...NOT THE LANE.

Life is too short to get all worked up by some fat cyclists trying to get fit.

Quote:
Around here they (the bicyclists) think, and act, like they own the fucking road. The ride 2 or 3 abreast and DO NOT move over! One day on Clinton Road there was about 10 of them riding 2 abreast and when two of them heard me coming, they looked back and swung all the way out to the double yellow so they were then 4 across. I grabbed a handfull and shot right between the two jerk-offs at about 70 mph. I normally used give all these people lots of room, but what these idiots did pissed me off to no end. Even in the car, around here, they WILL NOT move over and stay 2 abreast. WTF??? They're the new bosses? All others with the temerity to use THEIR road will be forced to almost stop and then have to risk an improper passing ticket to get around these fuck-wads.
And before you start with the..............Oh, it's a couple of smart-asses on the bicycles, it happens all the time around here. My wife has the same shit happen to her.....a lot! I've asked others if they have the same experience with the bicycles, and the answer is always.............YUP!

Chris

Things I've ate/cooked.
dolomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:18 PM   #19
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,018
Im with Chris I live in a bicycle hot spot and these moron pricks pick the narrowest, hilliest, most heavily travelled road to ride 3 wide and shake there elastic coated multi colored man ass at you... If not 3 wide they drive down the middle of the road so you have to go completetly into the other lane to give them there 3 feet...

No its not me in the video but I wish it was...

On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died. The only thing that comes to those who wait is old age. Too many dreams.... Not enough time. Not Scared of dying. Not scared of living. Just scared of the pain that separates the two...
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:00 PM   #20
FlySniper
Bleh...

Oddometer: 1,660
I don't mind bicyclists on the road, but I wish they would use common sense when picking their route.

Recently I was out riding and crested a hill in a left hand sweeper only to be confronted by a wall of spandex heading my way IN MY LANE.
I spotted a gap large enough to fit my DR through, steered deeper into the turn, missed the first wave then straightened it up and got on the binders in time to miss the now panicking second wave (who were also IN MY LANE).

This road is two lane, has some nice turns and elevation changes with a 55mph limit, I was riding legal and not trying to burn down the road.

About a quarter mile on down the road I watched as even more stragglers bunched up... looked to me like they were intentionally blocking traffic from passing. TN law limits them to the right 1/3 of the lane, single file and they are required to facilitate passing when safe by using the shoulder, this road has (clean)shoulders at least as wide as the lanes.

From here on out, I think I like OFC's method... wish my bike was diesel!
FlySniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:12 PM   #21
NC Scott
MOmymamamamaMOmymama

Oddometer: 1,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySniper View Post
TN law limits them to the right 1/3 of the lane, single file and they are required to facilitate passing when safe by using the shoulder, this road has (clean)shoulders at least as wide as the lanes.

55-8-175 Riding on Roadways and Bike Paths

a) (1) Any person operating a bicycle upon a roadway at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall ride as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, except under any of the following situations:

(A) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction;

(B) When preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway; or

(C) When reasonably necessary to avoid conditions including, but not limited to, fixed or moving objects, parked or moving vehicles, pedestrians, animals, surface hazards, or substandard width lanes that make it unsafe to continue along the right-hand curb or edge. For purposes of this section, "substandard width lane" means a lane that is too narrow for a bicycle and another vehicle to travel safely side by side within the lane.

(2) This subsection does not apply to a certified police cyclist engaged in the lawful performance of duty relating to traffic control.

(b) (1) Persons riding bicycles upon a roadway shall not ride more than two (2) abreast except on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles. Persons riding two (2) abreast shall not impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic and, on a laned roadway, shall ride within a single lane.

(2) This subsection does not apply to a certified police cyclist engaged in the lawful performance of duty relating to traffic control or in pursuit of an actual or suspected violator of the law.

(c) A violation of this section is a Class C misdemeanor.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:32 PM   #22
Offblnz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,458
Man, you 'Merikans need to learn some road culture! All your fucking anger, bicyclist, motorcyclist, cagers and pedestrians are all one big knot of anger waiting to spew. I have been driving semis, cage, motorcycle and my bicycle and the aggressiveness towards me on/in any of those vehicles are astounding to me.
Where the fuck are you going in such a hurry? Sheesh!

Apart from that, when I'm on my motorcycle and meet any of those idiot spandex clad ass wipes I give them as much room as is safe for the both of us. When I'm on my bicycle I stay as far to the right as I can, but the shoulders in the US is not always a nice place to be for a bicycle especially after a hard winter. When I'm in a car and there's no good sight lines I'll stay behind them till I can pass and I don't give a hoot how slow they're going, I only have to push down on a pedal to go faster, no strain on me whatsoever and even if I had to stay behind them for 2-3 minutes it'll only delay me at my destination by....wait...plus and plus is equal to...2-3 minutes! Yeah, that'll ruin my day!

Calm the hell down out there in traffic people. Close to 40.000 US people are killed in traffic every year just trying to get from point A to point B.
Offblnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:39 PM   #23
filmfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
I am also an avid cyclist, and in agreement with the other cyclists that have commented here.

For me, I'd much rather you move by with the 3 feet or so of clearance than move all the way into the other lane, I don't mind the lane sharing. After 30 years of riding I'm used to it, no worries.

Also, around here, (S.E. New Hampshire) the roads are narrow and winding, with many blind curves. Car or Moto, I'd much rather have you move by than either pace me a couple of feet off my back wheel and possibly blocking other traffic, or move into the opposing lane when a log truck might be approaching from the other way.

As for our fellow riders who block the road, etc. there are bad apple cyclists just as there are ones riding motos, driving cages and trucks. I'm happy to apologize for them, but please don't paint everyone on a bicycle with the same brush. I'm happy to give you as much room as I can, but I also need to steer clear of road debris and other hazards that you may not notice.

BTW, several states have a 3 foot minimum law, generally, it's 3 feet min for 30 MPH or less, and 1 foot additional for each 10 MPH over 30.

Oh, and for gawd sakes, if I wave you by, please give the throttle a twist, or press the right hand pedal and do it.

filmfan screwed with this post 10-12-2011 at 07:49 PM
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:42 PM   #24
marcoma
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
I can't tell you the controversy this subject had on another forum I frequent. It ended up with members boycotting the forum after some VERY heated debates.

I'm working in Australia after living in America and one thing I am amazed at here is the fact they allow cyclists on the freeways (sometimes in very large packs). It's REALLY dangerous IMHO. I know bicyclists are entitled to use the road as much as anyone else but thats asking for trouble - and not the cyclists fault either.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:04 AM   #25
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Scott View Post
http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/cr...eath-bicyclist

I have friends and former co-workers that were in the group when Dr. Burke was killed. From their accounts, the Defendant likely had a similar idea. Problem is he hit four people and killed one. He now faces vehicular homicide charges.

Seems like it would be easier to just wait, give plenty of room and go around.
Just reading the article in your link, and the comments afterwards. I read some comments that say this is a very curvy, narrow, and hilly road that the ACCIDENT happened on, and some say it was straight and flat. SO? And your friends say the perp had a similar idea to mine, splitting between the cyclist's? Yeah, with a Dodge Durango! It's almost the same thing as a KTM 950, right? Similar width's for both? I also read that the driver say's he reached down to pick something up, and when he looked back up.......there they were. Bad judgement to be taking your eye's off the road, even for a second or two? Sure. Have you ever done the same thing? EVER? I bet you have, just like most EVERYONE has at one time or another.Did you happen to notice that the court isn't giving the driver a chance to "plea out" from a reckless homicide charge? MAYBE because the deceased Doctor has a certain family member who happen to be the Attorney General (at least according to some of the comments I read)l? "Gang-Bangers" get to plea-out stuff every day. It's terrible for anyone's family to suffer the kind of loss that doctor's did, and I DO NOT think the driver should get off with nothing, shit it could have been ME on a motorcycle getting squashed by his Durango just as easy as the doctor on his bicycle, but it doesn't sound like this driver was trying to kill someone that day.
And back to the passing of bicyclist's...........................
So, just how long is one supposed to wait? 30 seconds? 2 minutes? 7 minutes? Until the end of the road? Until THEY decide that they are going to grant you the privilege of passing? You don't seem to get it that these pecker-heads in this area think THEY and they alone own the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolomoto View Post
Hey, OCF...substitute whatever that is your're riding with a bicycle and me passing you like that.

Then what's your take?

We all gotta share the road...NOT THE LANE.

Life is too short to get all worked up by some fat cyclists trying to get fit.
What, you think I NEVER rode a bicycle?
NEWSFLASH........................I have, and still do sometimes. You wouldn't have to pass me like that because I wouldn't be pissing you off by riding in the middle of the road like an asshole. And I shouldn't HAVE to cross a double-yellow, risking a big ticket, to pass some inconsiderate douche-bag's that won't move over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balanzed View Post
Man, you 'Merikans need to learn some road culture! All your fucking anger, bicyclist, motorcyclist, cagers and pedestrians are all one big knot of anger waiting to spew. I have been driving semis, cage, motorcycle and my bicycle and the aggressiveness towards me on/in any of those vehicles are astounding to me.
Where the fuck are you going in such a hurry? Sheesh!

Apart from that, when I'm on my motorcycle and meet any of those idiot spandex clad ass wipes I give them as much room as is safe for the both of us. When I'm on my bicycle I stay as far to the right as I can, but the shoulders in the US is not always a nice place to be for a bicycle especially after a hard winter. When I'm in a car and there's no good sight lines I'll stay behind them till I can pass and I don't give a hoot how slow they're going, I only have to push down on a pedal to go faster, no strain on me whatsoever and even if I had to stay behind them for 2-3 minutes it'll only delay me at my destination by....wait...plus and plus is equal to...2-3 minutes! Yeah, that'll ruin my day!

Calm the hell down out there in traffic people. Close to 40.000 US people are killed in traffic every year just trying to get from point A to point B.
Fuck You & Canuckastan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmfan View Post
I am also an avid cyclist, and in agreement with the other cyclists that have commented here.

For me, I'd much rather you move by with the 3 feet or so of clearance than move all the way into the other lane, I don't mind the lane sharing. After 30 years of riding I'm used to it, no worries.

Also, around here, (S.E. New Hampshire) the roads are narrow and winding, with many blind curves. Car or Moto, I'd much rather have you move by than either pace me a couple of feet off my back wheel and possibly blocking other traffic, or move into the opposing lane when a log truck might be approaching from the other way.

As for our fellow riders who block the road, etc. there are bad apple cyclists just as there are ones riding motos, driving cages and trucks. I'm happy to apologize for them, but please don't paint everyone on a bicycle with the same brush. I'm happy to give you as much room as I can, but I also need to steer clear of road debris and other hazards that you may not notice.

BTW, several states have a 3 foot minimum law, generally, it's 3 feet min for 30 MPH or less, and 1 foot additional for each 10 MPH over 30.

Oh, and for gawd sakes, if I wave you by, please give the throttle a twist, or press the right hand pedal and do it.
You sound like a bicyclist that hasn't been riding around with his helmet strap pulled to tight. If more of "them" around here thought and acted like you, people (besides me) wouldn't be so ticked-off. Big Up's to you!

Chris
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E

O.C.F.RIDER screwed with this post 10-13-2011 at 05:48 AM
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:39 AM   #26
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOtherGuy View Post
What is the proper way to pass a bicyclist going in the same direction that you are?

I've passed a few and just moved over to the left side of my lane while they are on the right side.

Should I actually move over into the other lane?
Five feet of space is standard by NM law. Usually this means moving to inside of the lane while I'm on a motorcycle.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:49 AM   #27
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 940
Quote:
Around here they (the bicyclists) think, and act, like they own the fucking road. The ride 2 or 3 abreast and DO NOT move over! One day on Clinton Road there was about 10 of them riding 2 abreast and when two of them heard me coming, they looked back and swung all the way out to the double yellow so they were then 4 across. I grabbed a handfull and shot right between the two jerk-offs at about 70 mph. I normally used give all these people lots of room, but what these idiots did pissed me off to no end. Even in the car, around here, they WILL NOT move over and stay 2 abreast. WTF??? They're the new bosses? All others with the temerity to use THEIR road will be forced to almost stop and then have to risk an improper passing ticket to get around these fuck-wads.
And before you start with the..............Oh, it's a couple of smart-asses on the bicycles, it happens all the time around here. My wife has the same shit happen to her.....a lot! I've asked others if they have the same experience with the bicycles, and the answer is always.............YUP!

Chris
Same thing here. You see the arrogant pricks riding 3-wide on narrow roads with a half-mile of traffic behind them. They scream about sharing the road, yet they blow through stop signs and don't signal their turns.
'05Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:17 AM   #28
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,638
We have a lot of bicyclist around here....even worse now the leaf peeping season is upon us...

I don't really care if you ride a bike or not. I too have seen many groups riding 3 or 4 abreast on curvy roads with speed limits of 50mph....There is a big charity race up here every year, more than once I have come around a corner pulling a 7K lb trailer at 50mph only to have to smoke the tires to avoid hitting the a group of riders....then I get flipped off

So sorry I'm not crossing the double yellow to pass a bicyclist....when I lived in FL these butt heads would cruise past a long line of cars waiting a draw bridge to get to the head of the line....then keep traffic backed up as each car had to pass them one by one.....

If they would just follow the rules of the road they would get less grief from motorists....slap a registration plate on their ass and I'll have more respect....
Offcamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:18 AM   #29
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
Im with Chris I live in a bicycle hot spot and these moron pricks pick the narrowest, hilliest, most heavily travelled road to ride 3 wide and shake there elastic coated multi colored man ass at you... If not 3 wide they drive down the middle of the road so you have to go completetly into the other lane to give them there 3 feet...

No its not me in the video but I wish it was...

Now that's funny...
Offcamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:42 AM   #30
Offblnz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,458
Quote:

Fuck You & Canuckastan!

Chris
I'm Danish, you American fuckwit!
Offblnz is offline   Reply With Quote