Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #3541
JonU
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digasi View Post
Filtering to to the front isn't so much of a problem if the cyclist can/willing to work with the flow.

As a driver I much rather have the cyclist move up to the front and then back out of the way. Makes my line shorter .
Agreed

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
JonU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #3542
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaGeek View Post
I'm trying to understand littleredtoyota's claim that I said I was filtering to the front of stopped traffic and then impeding it?
you made several posts stating that you filter to the front of traffic at red lights. those posts followed a couple pages of posts specifically talking about situations where cyclists filter to the front and then do impede traffic.

you even included this in one of them:

Quote:
...except that some may have to possibly pass you again.
making them pass you again, if they have to wait to be able to do it (which is the situation that was being discussed), is impeding traffic flow.

perhaps i misunderstood what you meant. but, given the context and your words, i think i did draw a reasonable conclusion.

Quote:
In all cases I was riding along side the cars with enough room, and was out of their way within a block or less.
so you are impeding them for a block. a block isn't a big deal...unless you do it at every light and keep holding up the same cars over and over for a block (especially if those cars would have made it through the next light if you had not held them up).
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #3543
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonU View Post
Care to expand on this statement?
A bicyclist who filters to the front then takes right tire track in a narrow lane with oncoming traffic cannot be safely passed. Same with a rider who takes the lane on a road with oncoming traffic. If you are going to filter to the front, you damn well better not be an impediment to the people you just passed. It's akin to butting in line and making others wait on you.
Dranrab Luap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:24 PM   #3544
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
A bicyclist who filters to the front then takes right tire track in a narrow lane with oncoming traffic cannot be safely passed. Same with a rider who takes the lane on a road with oncoming traffic. If you are going to filter to the front, you damn well better not be an impediment to the people you just passed. It's akin to butting in line and making others wait on you.
I feel the same way...and won't do it.
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:25 PM   #3545
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
never said you did.
You asked me the question. I can't give an explanation for something I don't do, don't understand and don't condone.
Dranrab Luap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:42 PM   #3546
filmfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 648
These days I don't do a lot of riding in urban traffic. The nearest stoplight is 10 miles from my house. The next nearest is 15 in the other direction.
Neither of these are within miles of any others.

So If I were to queue with the cars, it would be with a huge risk of getting rear-ended. Plus, the drivers would not generally expect to find a bicycle in the line, and would probably consider the bike to be more of an obstruction than if they were to the side.
There are no worries about getting passed multiple times between lights in the area.
There are some roads closer to the larger towns where this happens,but I haven't witnessed any situations where getting around the bike was a problem.
In dense urban areas I can see where queing with the cars makes sense, and certainly it's what you do in a dedicated left or right turn lane. But for the through lanes on many of the roads here, it would be pretty risky.

filmfan screwed with this post 09-27-2013 at 04:35 PM
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #3547
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
You asked me the question. I can't give an explanation for something I don't do, don't understand and don't condone.
i had pointed out to another poster that skipping to the front of the line at red lights and then holding up traffic...or running a stop sign when there is a car already stopped at the cross street stop sign...is selfish and should not be "tolerated". i said:

"entitled, me-first behavior that causes problems for others and even puts others in danger should never be tolerated, though."

you responded to that post saying it served "a greater purpose" (which, after reading some of your other posts, struck me as odd since your other posts agreed that skipping to the front of the line and then holding everyone else up is selfish). so, i asked you what greater purpose.

we're actually in agreement.

there is context to this discussion. it is not "all bicyclists"...it is about a specific set of behaviors--behaviors that you and i (and others) seem to agree are selfish.
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:38 PM   #3548
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
i had pointed out to another poster that skipping to the front of the line at red lights and then holding up traffic...or running a stop sign when there is a car already stopped at the cross street stop sign...is selfish and should not be "tolerated". i said:

"entitled, me-first behavior that causes problems for others and even puts others in danger should never be tolerated, though."
Situation:
I stop behind the cars in front of me behind the red traffic lights. Lights turn green. Cars behind me cannot pass me, I won't make the lights and delay every one behind me.

Alternate; I filter to the front. Keep to the side as I cross so following traffic can go past safely, once on the other side of the intersection I still keep to the side but have to take some of the lane, but the lane is now wider (no turning lanes taking room, and less traffic due to those turned off) or there are multiple lanes both moving at about the same speed so they can merge around me.

I've taken the view that in some situation the alternative is better than the first - this is dependent on the traffic movement and road configuration.

Filtering to the front IS legal in some parts of the world .. and encouraged by some regulators - eg cyclist boxes at the front in London.
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:25 PM   #3549
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

Oddometer: 6,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post
Situation:
I stop behind the cars in front of me behind the red traffic lights. Lights turn green. Cars behind me cannot pass me, I won't make the lights and delay every one behind me.

Alternate; I filter to the front. Keep to the side as I cross so following traffic can go past safely, once on the other side of the intersection I still keep to the side but have to take some of the lane, but the lane is now wider (no turning lanes taking room, and less traffic due to those turned off) or there are multiple lanes both moving at about the same speed so they can merge around me.

I've taken the view that in some situation the alternative is better than the first - this is dependent on the traffic movement and road configuration.

Filtering to the front IS legal in some parts of the world .. and encouraged by some regulators - eg cyclist boxes at the front in London.
This..

YamaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:39 AM   #3550
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,994
From Austin TX PD...

Seems like common sense to me - if nice to see Austin PD applying it.

k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:53 AM   #3551
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
Just vote NO for special rights for bicycles.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:26 PM   #3552
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Just vote NO for special rights for bicycles.
I agree. Either that or allow motorcycles the same priviledges as the bicycles.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:25 PM   #3553
filmfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
I agree. Either that or allow motorcycles the same priviledges as the bicycles.
How about lane sharing to start off with?
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:10 PM   #3554
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
Cyclist are able to ride single file on the side, which would give drivers an opportunity to pass, but instead, choose to plug up the road. Do cyclist really need to ride side by side holding their boyfriends hand? As far as semi's and farm tractors? The world wakes up hungry every day. If wasn't for these guys, life would suk. Exactly what contribution did the cyclist make to society today? Oh yah, right, they made my ass red.
Go back a few pages. I've done the maths for you. A group taking up the whole lane is actually BETTER for you (and safer for us) than the same group in single file.

Think about that for a while. You'll see that despite thinking you want a group to 'single up' you're better off with us in a clump. For many reasons explained previously.

On another note:

M
Old 09-28-2013, 07:16 PM   #3555
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post
this

Depends on the situation. There's no '1 size fits all' rule that'll work.

I'll +1 on the moto lane sharing nationwide thing. Makes too much sense to NOT share lanes.

M