Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #3721
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Are you vigilante man as well? Warning others of what you expect as you completely stop every time?
Easy to preach online.
Ah yes. The problem is everyone else.

I expect people (myself included) to stop at stop signs. Is that so wrong?
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #3722
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post
Ah yes. The problem is everyone else.

I expect people (myself included) to stop at stop signs. Is that so wrong?
Buddy of mine's a cop. He says that its a very small minority of folks that actually stop at stop signs. ...even when he's sitting there! If he wanted to be an ass, he could write as many tickets as he sees cars.

I do the same thing on the bike as I do in a car: if its clear as far as I can see I'll do a 'CA stop' aka slow roll thru the stop sign. Exception being the light at the main road outta town. If there's nothing behind me as far as I can see, I'll run that one on red 'cause I know the bicycle doesn't trip the light. They've made it legal here as long as you wait 2 cycles or 2min (IIRC I'll have to go bone up) if the light doesn't change for you.

M
Old 12-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #3723
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Buddy of mine's a cop. He says that its a very small minority of folks that actually stop at stop signs. ...even when he's sitting there! If he wanted to be an ass, he could write as many tickets as he sees cars.
Fellow I know got booked for not stopping at a stop sign (a 'rolling halt'). He's a bad driver but doesn't know it, probably the first thing the cop could easily get him for.

Warin screwed with this post 12-02-2013 at 03:00 PM
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #3724
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post
Fellow I know got booked for not stopping at a stop sign (a 'rolling halt'). He's a bad driver but doesn't know it, probably the first thing the cop could easily get him for.
If you sit and watch it looks like 75% of drivers,riders,bicyclists are bad drivers,few completely stop,many are over the speed limit even in a neighborhood,not way over but over.
Wandering in lanes,texting,cell phone,barely awake,going too slow while many cars speed past going the speed limit.
Usually they're just plain in a hurry, and this can cause loss of life and limb for them and others but theres something about the hurry word that takes over all else.

I do see cops cruising through this neighborhood at times,stopping is not required for them obviously as I rarely if ever see them do so,after all,they know what they're doing...........right?

Its the complete 100% stop that is rare,slightly moving is rolling a stop sign.

Running red lights is a whole nuther thing,that most definitly kills people.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:26 AM   #3725
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C.F.RIDER View Post
Around here they (the bicyclists) think, and act, like they own the fucking road. The ride 2 or 3 abreast and DO NOT move over! One day on Clinton Road there was about 10 of them riding 2 abreast and when two of them heard me coming, they looked back and swung all the way out to the double yellow so they were then 4 across. I grabbed a handfull and shot right between the two jerk-offs at about 70 mph. I normally used give all these people lots of room, but what these idiots did pissed me off to no end. Even in the car, around here, they WILL NOT move over and stay 2 abreast. WTF??? They're the new bosses? All others with the temerity to use THEIR road will be forced to almost stop and then have to risk an improper passing ticket to get around these fuck-wads.
And before you start with the..............Oh, it's a couple of smart-asses on the bicycles, it happens all the time around here. My wife has the same shit happen to her.....a lot! I've asked others if they have the same experience with the bicycles, and the answer is always.............YUP!

GO FAST----------PASS CLOSELY----------SCARE 'EM!
Hey Bicyclists around here................................

Chris
Unfortunately, this is spot on.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:09 AM   #3726
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
You wanna flip that around and think about it?

So you're riding down the road with a coupla buddies, minding your own business and a Vette/Porsche/whatever comes screaming past you in your lane within inches of your elbow at double your speed and that's OK?

...and you think its OK to do that to someone else?

M
Old 12-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #3727
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 15,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
No, it's not. That malevolent post falls into the same bin as the tripe posted by that other twerp: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192192
Old 12-05-2013, 05:25 AM   #3728
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

copy n paste from RKP/August Cole:
Red light. My brakes howl, openly challenging my timidity. Right foot down as the bike stops. Penned up cars and trucks inches from my front wheel tremble and roar, waiting to pounce. The light remains red. I could sit and bask in it, feeling the cool dampness of the light rain along the river. I wait. And wait.
Right foot clicks back into the pedal before I realize it and I’m inching into the intersection. Red light then turns green without preview. My brain picks up the snort and growl from a lurching pickup on my left and I am through the intersection with a primal burst of speed that carries me to safety before I am cognizant of the danger.
It was a moment when one foot could be measured by an eternity. An instant after which all riding could reasonably stop.
These reminders of how fragile our bikes and bodies are can come during the most mundane trips to the grocery store or an evening trek across towns to hear new stories from an old friend. They force reflection of the most serious kind about what we mean to our families and friends, and what we ought to expect from our own short lives.
There is nothing so spirit-crushing as the fear of a big snarling beast being within a few inches of causing you great harm. It carves out a void in your gut that takes hours to fill. Recent articles and op-eds in The New York Times, among other publications, have driven this home to our loved ones. They have plenty of ammunition should they decide to ambush us with cycling’s dangers as we don a colorfully clownish array of kit in the early morning hours.
What defense is there? As cyclists we have come to understand awful things. We know bad things happen to good people, even the best and most responsible of us.
Yet we believe something else, and it is beautiful. Each of those hulking machines, so at odds with the freedom of pedaling our confines away, is a reminder that we control far less in our lives than we think we do. Their ability to rob us of our very breath is also what gives life to something as potentially mundane as riding a bike.
Every one of us has the potential for their world to change for the worse in an instant. Diagnosis. Betrayal. Loss. It’s just that most people we see on the road in our daily lives do not realize it. They are alongside us, in a sense, yet they cannot see what we see, or feel what we feel. What we have is an understanding that to live a life fully means accepting a lack of control.
What enriches us and our loved ones should define us, not what we fear. In that light, each day, and each ride, becomes a gift. Such freedom also means accepting great responsibility and weight, perhaps more than some of us are capable of.
Consider the opposite, a life of emotional and physical paralysis that comes from the imprisonment of the false certainty of the overconfident and the fearful. Such an existence is made up of defeat and surrender.
There is no room for riding in that world. There is no room for bikes at all.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:54 AM   #3729
urbanXJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,907
They even piss off horses

Old 12-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #3730
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanXJ View Post
They even piss off horses

Dressed like that? I don't blame the horse at all!

M
Old 12-05-2013, 06:39 PM   #3731
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
That's a city slicker out in the country learning a valuable lesson. It's generally not a good idea to stand there with your arm outstretched when a horse comes at you with it's ears back and an aggressive stance. He's lucky it only bit him.
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:24 PM   #3732
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Old 12-10-2013, 11:36 AM   #3733
air-cooled
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
following this tread now and then; i'm from the low lands, land below sea level, i'm dutch. living in a country as big as indiana with 17mil others and all these people do have a bike, some more, like you have more cars.

besides the roads for cars and motos, there are a lot of separate roads for cyclists. on the roads we need to share, problems are comparable but not in such extent that cyclist will be put in danger, we all cycle.

one thing that i think is different, our cyclist are protected by law, in case of a accident, the car or moto rider is at fault unless he can proof otherwise which you can imagine can be hard sometimes.

just for fun sake, imagine yourself on your moto and a car behind you, the car considers you as a cyclist because the speed difference between the car and you is about the same as between a car and a cyclist and the car driver goes ballistic because he wants to pass and the moto does not give him the room to do so, how would you feel when that person is behind you.

goto 8:30s

air-cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:57 PM   #3734
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Pa. Law states that bicycles may ride up to two abreast but, ONLY when passing another. Otherwise they're supposed to move as far right as possible to allow faster moving vehicles to pass them safely. (and we have a law that says motor vehicles must give them 5 ft of distance when passing)

I'll be starting to commute to work by bicycle again, not only for my health but, also because I enjoy bicycling in general.

If I ride like most of the asshole road bicyclists do around here (as have been described here as lane hogs)...then I DESERVE to get run the fuck over or buzzed by motor vehicles. I don't understand how so many bicyclists can't understand the concept of personal accountability.

As a Guy who once put many miles on road bikes with their 700 X23C, 120psi tires, I understand WHY many stay away from the far right as possible but, ferchristsakes! ...use your brain and realize that if you can't ride your road bike within the limits of the law and yield like your supposed to for fear of flats/debri or falling into the gutter...then maybe you have the wrong tool for where you ride and you should get a Mtn. Bike instead.
If you choose to not follow the rules of the road and piss people off, don't piss and moan when they run your bitch asses over.
I'm guilty of buzzing these assholes myself when they don't give me the distance I need to safely pass them (within the laws guidelines for my State) How can you NOT when they're 4 abreast and even crossing the yellow line as they play "claim the lane"?

Here in S.E. Pa. Road bicyclists are a solid 98 % group, of self entitled, road hogging pricks...that even make me want to run their asses down.
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #3735
erkmania
Still Adventuring

Oddometer: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Dressed like that? I don't blame the horse at all!

M
Alrighty then. If it's good enough for a horse then I guess that I get a pass when I get off of my m/c to bite one of these numbnuts in the arm.

I'm going to have awfully dull teeth in no time.

2011 BMW R1200GS, 2004 KTM 950, 1996 ATK 605 ESDS
erkmania is offline   Reply With Quote