Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2012, 08:13 PM   #616
Homey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post
...When on the bicycle, I prefer to take my chances with getting ticketed for riding on the sidewalk.
I take it you don't ride with the SDBC out of La Jolla Village Square on Saturdays?
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:39 PM   #617
Droptop50
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Ass hat soot blowing trucks, the new ricers... I equate soot blowing trucks to fart can wearing ricers...

Read a report that riding your bicycle even in the trail of car exhaust is healthier than being in that car.

New Mexico has a 5 foot law for passing cyclists, yet sadly many are killed each year. Too many ghost bikes here...
Droptop50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:21 PM   #618
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbagekid0 View Post
he would've if he ever rode a bike after the age of 15
Once I got a drivers license at 15 1/2 it was all moto as transport for me. I really enjoyed riding the Mtn Bike for fun in places where there aren't likely to be cars around. I can't ride my bike very much anymore since I had the back injury in Iraq in 2007 when I turned 50. Now go get some bacon sammiches... NOOB!
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:31 AM   #619
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by LngRidr View Post
Most of the time law is "as much as practicable." Not "as much as possible." Although they are similar, they are quite different. It would be easy for bicyclists to ride to the far right if it wasnt littered with rocks, glass, metal and car parts. Since this is not the case then bicyclists must use a portion of the lane. Just like a car would to avoid things in the road that would damage your tires. Its weird how i never see busted motorcycle or bicycle parts on the side of roadways or bicyclists or motorcyclists littering, so ill let you figure out who the problem is....
Splitting hairs here aren't we? (I think you know what I meant)

As for the debri on the side of the road thing. I have the perfect solution. (as an ex road cyclist who's restoring an old 92 Bianchi Virata, I know where you're comming from here)...
Make road bikes with their 700C tires illegal to ride on the roads at all and make everyone ride Mtn bikes with kevlar tires that are more puncture reisistant which CAN handle the debris better. (it's more of a workout anyway!)
(tounge in cheek statement above!)
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:39 AM   #620
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptop50 View Post

New Mexico has a 5 foot law for passing cyclists, yet sadly many are killed each year. Too many ghost bikes here...

Seriously. I won't ride in the street here. Even in designated bicycle lanes -- most of those are a fuckin' joke anyway because they disappear at the intersections in some places! Doesn't work so well if the light is green and everyone wants to keep moving...

I'll ride on the trails and footpaths and quiet residential streets.

Of course then you have to deal with militant asswipe joggers everywhere who can't hear anything around them because of their damn earbuds.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:37 AM   #621
LngRidr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
Splitting hairs here aren't we? (I think you know what I meant)

As for the debri on the side of the road thing. I have the perfect solution. (as an ex road cyclist who's restoring an old 92 Bianchi Virata, I know where you're comming from here)...
Make road bikes with their 700C tires illegal to ride on the roads at all and make everyone ride Mtn bikes with kevlar tires that are more puncture reisistant which CAN handle the debris better. (it's more of a workout anyway!)
(tounge in cheek statement above!)
Even better is to live in the country like me and cycle where i seldom see debris on the road and the roads are so empty that even georgian rednecks have so much room to pass i almost never have a problem!!
IBA# 24562
LngRidr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:00 PM   #622
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey View Post
I take it you don't ride with the SDBC out of La Jolla Village Square on Saturdays?
This is an appropriate post for this one:

Especially SDBC!

Oh, and there really aren't any sidewalks where I am. Think Rancho Santa Fe-style roads and you have a good approximation for most of my ride(s)

M
Old 04-20-2012, 06:13 PM   #623
Homey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

Especially SDBC!

Oh, and there really aren't any sidewalks where I am. Think Rancho Santa Fe-style roads and you have a good approximation for most of my ride(s)

M
I know what you mean! I've ridden with them on occasion when I need someone to ride with when I'm visiting family. There are no sidewalks and dirt shoulders where I live here on the central coast as well. I don't have too much problems with cages. They are pretty respectful for the most part around here.
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:48 AM   #624
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Two idiots on the road today

1. 2nd car in a line of 3. 1st car passes (on a straight you can see for ~1mi) on the other side of the road. 2nd car is still completely on this side of the lane, not quite buzzing me, but close. 3rd car gives me room.

WTF?! You just saw how easy it is to go round me, WhyTF do you feel the need to buzz someone? ...on a straightaway no less!

2. SUV is coming up quickly just as we're reaching the crest of a hill. What do they do? Instead of waiting a few seconds to see what's coming, they go across the DY completely right at the crest of a hill. That I'm still writing this sez that nothing was coming thank doG. This is a 45mph zone with traffic coming and going from the police training center just down the way so its not like its an untraveled back road.

...all this in 50deg and rainy.

M
Old 04-23-2012, 07:22 PM   #625
Duken4evr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Bicycles are no biggie, I am patient enough to deal with the bad apples, most around here are avid types that know what they are doing. Efficiently and safely move by, done, no drama. Even bad apple types are dispatched efficeiently with no drama. At worst perhaps some bent laws governing no passing zone, but nobody gets put in danger except for points on my license.

Lest you think I am a holier than thou type, groups of Harleys get my goat. I admit it, there are times I have been a very very bad man. It usually occurs on a scenic twisty mountain road and after a few miles of following behind a group of anti destination society lard assed loud pipes saving lives "blatmobiles" going 10 to 15 below the speed limit. The scenario usually ends with a 12,000 rpm 130 mph flyby on the lead rider. Riding a 1,000cc sportish bike means having to wait for no one and I am too weak to resist. I need help - or better yet, not to be stuck behind a bunch of cruisers who are too inconsiderate to wave others by, or at least go the speed limit
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:54 AM   #626
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 5,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post

Lest you think I am a holier than thou type, groups of Harleys get my goat. I admit it, there are times I have been a very very bad man. It usually occurs on a scenic twisty mountain road and after a few miles of following behind a group of anti destination society lard assed loud pipes saving lives "blatmobiles" going 10 to 15 below the speed limit. The scenario usually ends with a 12,000 rpm 130 mph flyby on the lead rider. Riding a 1,000cc sportish bike means having to wait for no one and I am too weak to resist. I need help - or better yet, not to be stuck behind a bunch of cruisers who are too inconsiderate to wave others by, or at least go the speed limit
Going below the speed limit on a scenic mountain road??!! WTF?! HOW DARE THEY!! You are a hero my friend. Kudos to you for showing them how terrible they are by endangering yourself and others.
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:17 AM   #627
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

Especially SDBC!

M
You guys don't seem to get my point... sure you can use the whole lane, but shouldn't the bottom sign have a skull and crossbones with text that warns of the large number of zombie drivers?

http://youtu.be/iJbqNiFDVtI
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:29 AM   #628
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,390
I treat Bicycle riders the same as I treat individuals. It doesn’t matter what you wear, what you look like, what color, sex, ,,,, You are. If you are an asshole I will treat you like and asshole. If you are respectful I will treat you with respect.

You are Not more important than I am… Nor I/you.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:58 PM   #629
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post

Unfortunately many folks haven't got that memo yet, and still treat public roads as their personal cycle path, parade ground, or race track.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:59 PM   #630
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
I treat Bicycle riders the same as I treat individuals. It doesn’t matter what you wear, what you look like, what color, sex, ,,,, You are. If you are an asshole I will treat you like and asshole. If you are respectful I will treat you with respect.

You wanna think about that some?

Take it to the next step: IOW when YOU are riding your MC. How pissed to you get when someone treats you like you treat the 'assholes?'

M