Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2012, 04:47 PM   #676
markhas
markhas

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOtherGuy View Post
What is the proper way to pass a bicyclist going in the same direction that you are?

I've passed a few and just moved over to the left side of my lane while they are on the right side.

Should I actually move over into the other lane?
The State of Wisconsin requires 3 feet. that's not much but is all required by law. I use a video camera on most all motor vehicles trips just to record what happens when I'm on the road and I won't be without evidence when falsely accused.
markhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:36 PM   #677
singletrackslayer
Legalize singletrack

Oddometer: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
Is a law that's on the books, but not enforced still a law? And what makes people think they have the right to threaten, harass, and otherwise endanger those who are breaking these laws?
I do believe that a law on the books is still concidered a law and therfore enforcable. Like OHV tags on a plated bike.

And who is threatening you? Most traffic laws are put in place for safety reasons, like DUI's, speed limits, no passing zones, etc. If someone doesn't stop at a stop sign, sounds like they are puting themsevles into danger.

I'm not saying that ALL paperclip riders are the problem. Just those that act like they own the world. There's bad eggs in every basket . . .
Old 04-30-2012, 06:13 AM   #678
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,865
Do You REALLY Want Me Obeying The Law

So motor vehiclists, do you really want me obeying all the traffic laws when I bicycle? I'll give you a little while to mull that over.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:46 AM   #679
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by singletrackslayer View Post
I do believe that a law on the books is still concidered a law and therfore enforcable. Like OHV tags on a plated bike.

And who is threatening you? Most traffic laws are put in place for safety reasons, like DUI's, speed limits, no passing zones, etc. If someone doesn't stop at a stop sign, sounds like they are puting themsevles into danger.

I'm not saying that ALL paperclip riders are the problem. Just those that act like they own the world. There's bad eggs in every basket . . .
Who's threatening me? Oh, you know, people who lay on their horn as they pass....throw things at me....drunk-ass rednecks who chase me down, block the road, tell me they're going to kill me, speed off, do a u-turn and come back at me full throttle, forcing me to run for my life....people who hit me and keep on driving.....people who mow down groups of my friends and kill them as they ride single file along a country road. None of these things happened as a result of running a light or stop sign. In fact, some of them happened BECAUSE I stopped for the light/sign.

My personal riding style is to stay the hell out of the way. I ride single file and on the right side of the road. I really only run lights and signs when there are no cars on the road I'm crossing, and really don't even run them if there are cars going in my direction already stopped.

There was a time when I would ride road and dirt 50/50, but these days it's more like 95% dirt and bike paths. The roads are just too crowded and unsafe now. Most people seem to be doing something other than driving....talking on the phone, texting, etc. All you have to do is sit at an intersection and take a good look at the people driving by. I'd say 70% or more are using a phone in some fashion or another.
MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8

_CJ screwed with this post 04-30-2012 at 11:26 AM
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:29 AM   #680
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,361
Commuting home the other evening I had a guy nearly right hook me causing me to have to panic stop. The driver then proceed to stop yell at me for riding on the road. I was in the bike lane going the speed limit....Truly I should have known.

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:06 AM   #681
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
Commuting home the other evening I had a guy nearly right hook me causing me to have to panic stop. The driver then proceed to stop yell at me for riding on the road. I was in the bike lane going the speed limit....Truly I should have known.
How DARE you?! Riding on his road like that?!

Damn bicycles! Stay on the effing sidewalk where you belong!

It never ends, does it?

M
Old 05-01-2012, 10:00 AM   #682
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
So motor vehiclists, do you really want me obeying all the traffic laws when I bicycle? I'll give you a little while to mull that over.
I would say for the most part yes with some common sense thrown in. Obviously there will be times and places where it would be dangerous to the cyclist or cause a major disruption to other traffic.

I'm a city P&D driver and used to do the downtown Seattle route. Driving a semi in city traffic is difficult enough without some cyclists darting about at random, without warning, and contrary to the flow of traffic.
I would much rather put up with a momentary inconvenience that I could plan to safely get around, than to play dodge bicycle.

If you think drivers treat cyclists poorly, try riding in the cab of a semi for a day, you would be shocked.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:24 AM   #683
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post

If you think drivers treat cyclists poorly, try riding in the cab of a semi for a day, you would be shocked.
Been there, done that...and people complain about "dangerous trucks" on the highways...

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:36 AM   #684
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
I would say for the most part yes with some common sense thrown in. Obviously there will be times and places where it would be dangerous to the cyclist or cause a major disruption to other traffic.

I'm a city P&D driver and used to do the downtown Seattle route. Driving a semi in city traffic is difficult enough without some cyclists darting about at random, without warning, and contrary to the flow of traffic.
I would much rather put up with a momentary inconvenience that I could plan to safely get around, than to play dodge bicycle.

I wouldn't be shocked. I've driven one.

Yeah. G'head and jump right in front of my bumper. The D-7 dozer I'm carring and I won't stop till we're 100' past your rear bumper!

In truth, most professional drivers tend to drive courteously. Its the soccer moms in their minivans and SUVs that are the terrors. ...and idiots in jacked up trucks... ...and...

M
Old 05-01-2012, 10:46 AM   #685
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I wouldn't be shocked. I've driven one.

Yeah. G'head and jump right in front of my bumper. The D-7 dozer I'm carring and I won't stop till we're 100' past your rear bumper!

In truth, most professional drivers tend to drive courteously. Its the soccer moms in their minivans and SUVs that are the terrors. ...and idiots in jacked up trucks... ...and...

M
I drove dry bulk tankers for a while, a few folks never knew how close they came to becoming a statistic by cutting off a 100' long, 105,5000 lb rig.

Unfortunately there are a few bad commercial drivers out there too.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #686
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Its the soccer moms in their minivans and SUVs that are the terrors. ...
They're the number one threat on the roads as far as I'm concerned. The most distracted and most aggressive.
MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:51 AM   #687
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,667
Quote:
. . .

The haters, and apologists of the United States conveniently forget that there are more people here who live outside urban areas then the total population of most "more civilized" countries. The realities of transportation needs are significantly different here, the benifits of public and alternative transportation are impracticable or impossible to use by a large percentage of the population. I's painfully obvious that some folks are passing blanket judgments biased on their very limited perspective.
In my reckoning, its not the issue of solely population density which should determine how people respond to others employing differing modes of transport -- it things like choosing to . .

. . . share resources, even in the field of transportation, and then . . . party-on, dude!

But separation can work wonders. You don't normally mix Cessnas & Tiger Moths with Airbus 380s & Boeing 737s. That doesn't work too good at all.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:34 AM   #688
FinlandThumper
Has Cake/Eats it Too

Oddometer: 6,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
I am a daily bicyclist or motorcyclist myself, and my take is that bicycles should obey the spirit of the law, if not the letter.

What I mean is that when you are riding in traffic, the same protocols should apply to prevent accidents. Bicyclists can at times do some profoundly irresponsible and frankly stupid things that, to a car driver, seem totally random and out of nowhere. Things like swerving out into traffic from blind driveways or alleys, blowing red lights with nary a glance to the side, or moving against the flow of traffic. Even if you're a car driver paying attention, that kind of stuff comes totally as a surprise and carries with it a risk of accident.

So for example I move with the flow of traffic (not against it) and generally obey requirements to use hand signals and stop at controlled intersections when traffic is present. At uncontrolled intersections you are supposed to yield to the person on your right if you arrive at the same time, and in Europe you're risking your life if you break this convention (whether in car, on motorcycle, or bicycling). I try to establish eye contact with drivers at intersections so that they can see me and perhaps predict what I am doing...and vice versa.

But the letter of the law? Seriously, if I'm cruising into a red light and nobody's coming, I'll just roll through to conserve momentum. Most of the traffic lights and such are set up for cars, not bikes. One of hte reasons to use a bike in the first place is to free you of the idiotic traffic flow rules that are required because of the size and speed of cars. Filtering to the front, using your judgment to run a red light SAFELY...these are advantages of the bicycle and should be recognized.

So I try to be a responsible bicyclist and for me, that means following the intent of the law if not the exact letter of it.
FinlandThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:51 AM   #689
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,137
Quote:
a 105,5000 lb rig.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:02 AM   #690
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

The irony of this particular discussion on this particular forum is that MCs are treated the same way as bicyclists!

Try getting into an accident on your MC and see. Cage driver gets a slap on the wrist and the MC rider goes to the hospital and/or ends up dead.

M