ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 05:09 PM   #1111
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer
 
bwalsh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Hell town
Oddometer: 10,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by joef View Post
Bottom line is I live with this annoyance almost every weekend because
Be thankful they are not Pirates with straight pipes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolomoto View Post

I'll say it again. IMO, all road users have a responsibility to not kill/maim/seriously injure the other users of the road..even if the other users are complete jackasses.

Anticipate the unexpected.
^^^This!^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
Because the fact of wealth implies superiority. How did they become wealthy if not for the fact of that? So surely superior people have right of ways over sub-humans or inferiors. This is the natural order as shown by Darwin and others. Laws do protect inferiors unless the superior says that in this instance, the law shouldn't apply. Then it doesn't.

As to your other comment about why cagers in large smelly diesel trucks think they can prevail over bicyclists in a physical brawl - the answer is again, obvious. If a person is too cowardly to drive a large diesel truck, he will surely run from any fight so the question of conditioning is moot. He will always turn tail and flee in an aggression.
Wow! just Wow! PUI?

EDIT: page 75!
__________________
2004 XR650L / 2001 R1150GS
NWVA TAG NWVA TAG MAP RTE THREAD & IN LIST



bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:30 PM   #1112
singletrackslayer
Legalize singletrack
 
singletrackslayer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Morningwood, CO
Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I got dared to see if I couldn't make this thing last 100 pages.

1 more post...

Just one more!

...and we're a step closer

M
No wonder you're such an asshole. I was starting to think you were normally this way.

NO MORE POSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE LET THIS THREAD DIE LIKE ALL THE BRAIN CELLS IT HAS CAUSED TO DO THE SAME!

NO MORE POSTS!
NO MORE POSTS!
NO MORE POSTS!
NO MORE POSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!
__________________
This is Motorado . . .
singletrackslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #1113
joef
Gnarly Adventurer
 
joef's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Western Ct.
Oddometer: 458
After carefull consideration and reading thru all the responses, I went to Home Depot, purchased 750' of garden hoses, strategically ran them down to my pillars at the stonewall, built a ambush hiding place and I will spray those fuckers on Sunday when they come by. Hope they have their intermediate wets on
joef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:39 PM   #1114
Rekd
Bitter Clinger
 
Rekd's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: So Cal
Oddometer: 93
LoL
Rekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:43 PM   #1115
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by singletrackslayer View Post
No wonder you're such an asshole. I was starting to think you were normally this way.

NO MORE POSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE LET THIS THREAD DIE LIKE ALL THE BRAIN CELLS IT HAS CAUSED TO DO THE SAME!

NO MORE POSTS!
NO MORE POSTS!
NO MORE POSTS!
NO MORE POSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!
No. You're wrong. I AM 'such an asshole.'

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:04 PM   #1116
Onederer
Crunch Nugget
 
Onederer's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Faith
Oddometer: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Two things come to mind immediately. First, the car driver can use his car as a weapon, from safely inside and with the doors locked. Second, there's a pretty good chance that the car driver actually has a weapon. To start a confrontation with an unknown person in a 4000 lb vehicle, hoping it will end (at worst) in a Marquis of Queensbury boxing match, is absolutely insane.
Do you realize how many cyclist carry? Do you know the laws concerning the use of a concealed weapon and what could happen to person who does not adhere to those laws? Should we expect every altercation to end in a gunfight and hope it doesn't?

To allow someone to trample on your rights out of fear is not something anyone should condone.

A lot of you are doing nothing but trying to create excuses why cyclists should just abide until their rights are gone, to remain silent because of the big meanies out there who don't like people standing up to them, AKA, bullies.

Cyclist have every right to use the road and the impatient bullies out there who can't seem to find their happy place are the biggest problem. When I am riding and a car driver passes in an unsafe manner that could have very likely ended in a head on collision with another car, all I can think is that person doesn't care about anyone on the road, not just the cyclist and it boils down to selfishness.

Automobile drivers can indeed use their vehicle as a weapon, that is why I think they should be charged accordingly when they choose to do so, with denial of awareness not an option.

What I see as the biggest problem with this thread is the inability of motorcycle riders to acknowledge the similarities between themselves and cyclist with regard to how they are treated by other motorist on our public roads and how the same rights apply to both.
__________________
When I reach retirement age, I hope to fit into one of the cliques here.
Onederer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #1117
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onederer View Post
Do you realize how many cyclist carry? Do you know the laws concerning the use of a concealed weapon and what could happen to person who does not adhere to those laws? Should we expect every altercation to end in a gunfight and hope it doesn't?

To allow someone to trample on your rights out of fear is not something anyone should condone.

A lot of you are doing nothing but trying to create excuses why cyclists should just abide until their rights are gone, to remain silent because of the big meanies out there who don't like people standing up to them, AKA, bullies.

Cyclist have every right to use the road and the impatient bullies out there who can't seem to find their happy place are the biggest problem. When I am riding and a car driver passes in an unsafe manner that could have very likely ended in a head on collision with another car, all I can think is that person doesn't care about anyone on the road, not just the cyclist and it boils down to selfishness.

Automobile drivers can indeed use their vehicle as a weapon, that is why I think they should be charged accordingly when they choose to do so, with denial of awareness not an option.

What I see as the biggest problem with this thread is the inability of motorcycle riders to acknowledge the similarities between themselves and cyclist with regard to how they are treated by other motorist on our public roads and how the same rights apply to both.
Kill a cyclist (moto or pedal) and get a slap on the wrist.

There were a couple of car vs moto accidents here in the last month. Neither of em that I read about in the paper had charges filed against drivers that had violated the moto-riders' ROW

We're all second-class citizens on the road

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:44 AM   #1118
Ginger Beard
I have no soul
 
Ginger Beard's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Sunny Northern Cuba (aka: South Florida)
Oddometer: 6,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onederer View Post
What I see as the biggest problem with this thread is the inability of motorcycle riders to acknowledge the similarities between themselves and cyclist with regard to how they are treated by other motorist on our public roads and how the same rights apply to both.

That has been the hardest thing for me to witness in regards to this thread. The idea that any motorcyclist has a problem with cyclists is beyond perplexing. To me it just separates the wannabes from the real riders. No real motorcyclist would take issue with any other two wheeled conveyance that shares the road especially not bicycles. The majority of great riders/racers cross train on bicycles.
__________________
"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." ~Edgar Allen Poe~
My Scramster Build

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:41 AM   #1119
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
That has been the hardest thing for me to witness in regards to this thread. The idea that any motorcyclist has a problem with cyclists is beyond perplexing. To me it just separates the wannabes from the real riders. No real motorcyclist would take issue with any other two wheeled conveyance that shares the road especially not bicycles. The majority of great riders/racers cross train on bicycles.
...and have to deal with the same shit I/we deal with!

So, next time you're out hassling cyclists, you COULD be hassling Ben Bostrum, or the Hayden brothers, or...

Think about that for a minute.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:05 AM   #1120
slide
A nation in despair
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: NM, USA
Oddometer: 21,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Be thankful they are not Pirates with straight pipes...



^^^This!^^^



Wow! just Wow! PUI?

EDIT: page 75!
No, O'neder agrees with this sentiment. I was showing solidarity with him.
__________________
Why be born again when you can just grow up?
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:11 AM   #1121
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur
 
High Country Herb's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Western Sierras
Oddometer: 7,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onederer View Post
What I see as the biggest problem with this thread is the inability of motorcycle riders to acknowledge the similarities between themselves and cyclist with regard to how they are treated by other motorist on our public roads and how the same rights apply to both.
I don't know about this logic. What I think you are saying here is that commaradere is based on the number of wheel on which a person travels.

By this line of reasoning, segways, bicycles and motorcycles should all be in agreement.

Cars, trucks, wheelchairs, skateboards, and ATV's don't like group number 1, and are out to kill them.

Trike conversions, side hacks, and BMW Isettas, like Switzerland, are neutral.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:28 AM   #1122
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer
 
Jim Moore's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Jax, FL
Oddometer: 13,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onederer View Post
Do you realize how many cyclist carry? Do you know the laws concerning the use of a concealed weapon and what could happen to person who does not adhere to those laws? Should we expect every altercation to end in a gunfight and hope it doesn't?

To allow someone to trample on your rights out of fear is not something anyone should condone.

A lot of you are doing nothing but trying to create excuses why cyclists should just abide until their rights are gone, to remain silent because of the big meanies out there who don't like people standing up to them, AKA, bullies.

Cyclist have every right to use the road and the impatient bullies out there who can't seem to find their happy place are the biggest problem. When I am riding and a car driver passes in an unsafe manner that could have very likely ended in a head on collision with another car, all I can think is that person doesn't care about anyone on the road, not just the cyclist and it boils down to selfishness.

Automobile drivers can indeed use their vehicle as a weapon, that is why I think they should be charged accordingly when they choose to do so, with denial of awareness not an option.

What I see as the biggest problem with this thread is the inability of motorcycle riders to acknowledge the similarities between themselves and cyclist with regard to how they are treated by other motorist on our public roads and how the same rights apply to both.
All that may be true, but none of applies to your previous question / statement, which was, "why does everyone assume a confrontation is going to turn out bad for the bicyclist?" Answer: Because the car driver has access to a variety of weapons and is in an armor-plated vehicle. It would be silly not to bet on the car guy.
__________________
Jim Moore
Jax, FL

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:07 AM   #1123
melville
Beastly Adventurer
 
melville's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Oddometer: 1,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Kill a cyclist (moto or pedal) and get a slap on the wrist.

There were a couple of car vs moto accidents here in the last month. Neither of em that I read about in the paper had charges filed against drivers that had violated the moto-riders' ROW

We're all second-class citizens on the road

M

http://www.times-standard.com/localnews/ci_13268558

Circumstances were broad daylight, long sightlines, rider ATGATT, on shoulder of 4 lane highway. One year, doubt if he served even that, and I bet he's driving already.

Cops didn't particularly do well here--no field sobriety test, no Breathalyzer or blood test. DA compounded the sitch by not seeking felony negligence. I get the feeling that they don't give a fuck.
__________________
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #1124
Onederer
Crunch Nugget
 
Onederer's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Faith
Oddometer: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
I don't know about this logic. What I think you are saying here is that camaradere is based on the number of wheel on which a person travels.

By this line of reasoning, segways, bicycles and motorcycles should all be in agreement.

Cars, trucks, wheelchairs, skateboards, and ATV's don't like group number 1, and are out to kill them.

Trike conversions, side hacks, and BMW Isettas, like Switzerland, are neutral.
What I said was that cyclist and motorcycle riders get treated in very similar ways by automobile drivers. You threw in the logic based on wheel count.

As a daily bicycle commuter and nearing two decades of motorcycle road use, I easily see the similarities. A lot of the same things that happen to me on a bicycle are things that have happened just the same on a motorcycle. There are some on here that agree with some of the things I say even though I often don't worry about being too abrasive in this thread, because I don't see it as a topic to be taken lightly. Every time I get in an automobile, it is obvious drivers don't even care about other drivers, it is just that when that attitude is mixed with smaller vehicles, death and serious injury often occur.

A few weeks ago I was driving, merging onto an interstate and there were those large, obvious, lighted construction arrow signs indicating that traffic is to remain in the inner most lane. There were also several road construction vehicles parked on the right shoulder. Some sack wrinkle behind me thought I was going too slow and decided to pass on the right, narrowly missing a construction worker who was in that lane, who had to jump back to avoid being struck by the vehicle. To hit a road worker in many states now carries very, very stiff punishment because so many have been killed when working.

There is really no camaraderie based on wheel count, what I am suggesting is that people that can be grouped together based on infringement of rights, should do so for benefit of the whole. Nowhere have I lashed out at a motorcycle rider because they passed me in my lane when safe to do so, or pulled up next to me at a traffic light when I obviously moved over so they could. There is more than enough room on most roads for motorcycles and bicycles to occupy the same lane, which allows each their own pace without restricting the other.

This is a motorcycle forum. You wouldn't find me trying to present any facts or opinions in a automotive forum, because it would largely get overlooked and really frowned upon there. When it comes to automobiles and bicycles, my time is better spent in town meeting on how to promote cycling and ease tension between cyclist and automobile drivers by using educational material and travel data to determine where sharrows and bicycle signage should be placed.

__________________
When I reach retirement age, I hope to fit into one of the cliques here.
Onederer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #1125
Onederer
Crunch Nugget
 
Onederer's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Faith
Oddometer: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
All that may be true, but none of applies to your previous question / statement, which was, "why does everyone assume a confrontation is going to turn out bad for the bicyclist?" Answer: Because the car driver has access to a variety of weapons and is in an armor-plated vehicle. It would be silly not to bet on the car guy.
What I said is that it doesn't make sense to bet on either one. The whole topic wreaks of senseless violence that seems to be promoted by those who feel the cyclist needs a redneck beat down for squirting some water on a vehicle because they may have just avoided being ran over by the driver.

I'm sure if the person got out of the vehicle and attacked the cyclist then told a judge in court that they done it because the cyclist squirted water on their glass because they almost ran over the cyclist, it wouldn't go so well for the driver.

I was trying to point out how ridiculous the whole thing was and that there are people on here who seem to think cyclist are less than human. Words are what we use to imply our thoughts, directly reading words without abstract thought is not getting the meaning, intended or otherwise.

There shouldn't have been reason for an altercation to start with, but it seems I have over estimated the reasoning power of the readers and should move on to more productive things.
__________________
When I reach retirement age, I hope to fit into one of the cliques here.
Onederer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014