Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2012, 06:54 AM   #151
F_Sahms
mostly paved

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick in PRC. View Post
Simple answer......The Cycle Garden bike isn't restored to original. The extra disc........the older style fender reflectors, solo seat and probably paint. That bike is more likely faux Police, made to look like a police bike, B/W paint scheme, Deitz lights, metal paniers etc..............later civilian Eldo's came with popular "police" options from the factory, single pod dash with big speedo, one tool box and the ignition key under the seat. Real police bikes came with solid crash bars, a siren bracket and a re-enforced top mounting point for the rear crashbar on the frame. One other distinction is the handle bar clamps.........the top part of the clamp is smooth on the civilian Police clamps............real police bikes had holes to mount a speaker.

Easy (or lazy) to just call the civilian police optioned bikes "Police".........technically they are not Police but really who cares.

As for the frames........some people cut off the siren brackets when they acquired them and some people welded them on to civilian bikes.

In Europe the bike wasn't called the Eldorado........it was 850 GT California, a.........couple months ago at Moto Guzzi Classics in So Cal there was a very original example.......it was a 72, it was black and it had chrome fenders. Chrome fenders didn't appear on US bikes till 74 I believe but somehow this one ended up in the US.
If yer gonna channel a goat-burster, it'd help to include his goat-bursting colloquialisms.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:58 AM   #152
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 6,145
?

If yer gonna channel a goat-burster, it'd help to include his goat-bursting colloquialisms.

You lost me on that one...WTF is a goat burster?

And all of you have essentially not answered the question...

Wouldn't bikes number 61920 and 61921 have looked the same coming off the factory line???
danedg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:51 AM   #153
Mandello
Guzzista

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by danedg View Post
[COLOR="Red"]

And all of you have essentially not answered the question...

Wouldn't bikes number 61920 and 61921 have looked the same coming off the factory line???
Vin plates were different for bikes going to the USA from those going to Europe so my guess is that vins weren't affixed until it was decided where they were headed for sale...i.e. these two bikes didn't come off the assembly line sequentially but were prepped for the USA market in the same batch.

AlexM
Mandello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:34 PM   #154
Nick in PRC.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Quote:
I

Probably..........but a production change has to occur at some point and that point could be between 61920 and 61921.

Guzzi made changes to bikes during model years......like the switch from gear driven timing to chain driven. Dellorto went on strike, so some bikes came with Amal carbs, when the carb supply came back on line.......they switched back to Dellortos.

There was at times no rhyme or reason what went on bikes from one day to the next.........it depended what was pulled for the build from the parts supply and did they rotate the stock from suppliers as well as who was doing what job on what day. Toolboxes....... the lids and bodies are not always interchangeable it depended who was welding on the hinges that day and how the hinge was oriented.

Most Ambassadors have less ribbing on their engine cases...........later Ambassadors had the ribbing similar to the Eldorado's........but were still 750.........and I don't think this changed at the start of a model year.........just some arbitrary day of the week.

Your bike is your bike..........don't sweat it when it comes down to originality, production had Italian supply inconsistencies built in.

Chang chat: http://cj750.forumcircle.com
Nick in PRC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:47 PM   #155
Nick in PRC.
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

...WTF is a goat burster?

Hideous looking and smells bad.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:40 PM   #156
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

The BMW tool DOES work on the Guzzi

Old 04-04-2012, 07:09 PM   #157
MZRider
Neo-Luddite

Oddometer: 609
In case you didn't know, what you've got ahold there is just a "cover":
http://www.mgcycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=234
over the real exhaust nut:
http://www.mgcycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=233 (yours won't have the locknut).

The finned "cover" clamps onto the exhaust nut and is supposed to keep it from loosening.
'77 Yamaha XT500, '91 ATK 604
'94 MZ Silver Star, '96 CCM 350
MZRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #158
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,110
Les .. 1968 Husqvarna MF250 and MF360 - 1971 Norton Commando Fastback - 1973 Kawasaki H2A - 1973 Ducati 750 GT - 1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado - 1974 Kawasaki H2B - 1974 Triumph TR5T Trophy Trail - 1981 Ducati 900 SD - 1986 Husqvarna 400 WR - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 2007 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S - 2008 Suzuki DR780.
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:00 PM   #159
Nick in PRC.
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
The BMW tool DOES work on the Guzzi
Won't tighten or loosen anything though.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:48 AM   #160
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Ummm...it zipped the exhaust nuts right off both sides. I'm finally able to start removing the exhaust.

I like the exhaust header nut treatment. Much stouter than the BMW.

The exhaust system is proving quite resistant to change...i.e., she don't wanna come apart easily. A little rust, and a lot of grime have made the headers, crossover and silencers as one.

Any tips on dissembling?

I've got my fingers crossed that the mufflers might still be serviceable, so I'd like to not take the Sawzall to it.

danedg screwed with this post 04-05-2012 at 10:15 AM
Old 04-05-2012, 01:58 PM   #161
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,416
Quote:
Ummm...it zipped the exhaust nuts right off both sides. I'm finally able to start removing the exhaust.

I like the exhaust header nut treatment. Much stouter than the BMW.

The exhaust system is proving quite resistant to change...i.e., she don't wanna come apart easily. A little rust, and a lot of grime have made the headers, crossover and silencers as one.

Any tips on dissembling?

I've got my fingers crossed that the mufflers might still be serviceable, so I'd like to not take the Sawzall to it.
Always great fun doing the stripdown of a project bike,
gets slower once you start finding everything that needs doing though, work to a plan & stick to it!
[ says he with projects hanging out of workshop everywhere!]
Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #162
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 3,607
Quote:

Any tips on dissembling?
Heat... but that will damage chrome and you poo-pood me when i told you to get Nuts-Off.
Wrap the joint seam with a bit of rag w/nuts-off and let it soak for 48 hours.
Then tap the outside pipe clamp area with a light hammer, like 8oz. Twist & apart.

Letting the head exhaust fixing nuts run loose for long periods of running time will wipe-out the head's aluminum threads.
OldPete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #163
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Thanks,
I'll get my NutsOff
Old 04-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #164
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Disc brake axle assembly

So I've got this...

And this...

And this...

and nowhere do I find a parts breakdown or service instructions for the front single disc brake/hub/bearing setup.

I pulled the front wheel/brembo/fender assemblies today. A few drops of condenstion leaked upon the floor when the axle got pulled and the front wheel became removed. I thought it wise to open things up to check for condensation damage, but cannot find a parts fiche that details the assembly in the info I have on hand...

Can you guys recommend a manual that would illustrate this procedure, or better yet, give up some of your hard won knowledge as to how I determine that the front axle assembly is OK?....

The 3 references I have available do not illustrate this assembly.

Thanx!

Dan
Old 04-06-2012, 01:48 PM   #165
vacantstare
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Just a shot in the dark here, but maybe a manual for one of the early Tonti frames would cover it?

Edit: like this: http://www.biblio-moto-books.net/mot...op-man135p.pdf maybe?
vacantstare is offline   Reply With Quote