User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2014, 02:51 PM   #1
DWK2 OP
Other Bike's A Rokon

Oddometer: 75
Best Mesh Summer Riding Pants?

I attempted to use the search function but didn't have very much luck. I apologize if this has been discussed extensively and I simply can't find the threads.

Being that summer is ending, I expect there may be some sales on summer-oriented gear. I live in NW Nevada where the summers are reasonably warm. I'd like some pants that match my Klim Induction jacket, but Klim tells me that they are not going to release any in the near future.

I've seen the Klim Mojave pants, as well as competitive offerings from Alpinestars and others. I'll be wearing them over Acerbis X-Strong knee protectors and tall boots. About 80% of my riding is on dirt roads.

Any thoughts on what brand of summer riding pants would be best for my application?

Thanks very much for your guidance.

Dave
DWK2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:18 PM   #2
KoolBreeze
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
enjoy my Olympia Airglide pants. one of these days will pick up a pair of their Motoquest to match my jacket (or include their Dakar pant option) but in the meantime...

seems Olympia has bitten off on the whole "mesh" concept solidly and I appreciate the options. (fit and style) hope they contribute the tend adding some of the strength brought on by Klims "Karbonite" fabric to their future line up. (I don't know if their current mesh fabrics are comparable. Cordura "ballistic" airflow mesh.... idk how these mesh products compare. )

edit: the included armor isn't impressive, so this wont be an issue with your Acerbis X-Strong knee protectors

KoolBreeze screwed with this post 09-10-2014 at 03:46 PM
KoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:29 PM   #3
DWK2 OP
Other Bike's A Rokon

Thanks---I'm honored to be #500 on your oddometer!

I've heard good things about the Olympia garments and will check them out.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:40 PM   #4
divimon2000
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
My old dakar's were cool but too baggy for me. The cheap foam pads sucked too. I'm moving on to something else too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
divimon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:57 AM   #5
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWK2 View Post
I've seen the Klim Mojave pants, as well as competitive offerings from Alpinestars and others. I'll be wearing them over Acerbis X-Strong knee protectors and tall boots. About 80% of my riding is on dirt roads.
I have the Mojaves. I doubt they really offer much abrasion resistance, but they're comfortable.
James Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:01 AM   #6
PachmanP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,538
A buddy has used a pair of Olympia mesh (airglides?) a couple of times to good result. I think at the price point they're hard to beat.

Motoport mesh is supposed to be good.
PachmanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:37 PM   #7
DWK2 OP
Other Bike's A Rokon

Thanks again,

Dave
Old 09-11-2014, 04:19 PM   #8
drz919
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I've used the Mojave's and I really like them. They are kind of baggy at the knees but I assume they are like that to allow for knee braces. The key thing I like about the Mojave's are the vents located on the inner thighs near your crotch, that is where I sweat a lot. However the Mojave's don't come with pockets for armor at the knees but that doesn't sound like a problem for you.

If I had to buy again I think I would opt for over the boot style. The in-the boot style make me look like I have puffy thighs.
drz919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 04:39 AM   #9
backpain
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
My over the boot Mohaves have hip and knee armor pockets and came with the pads. They have good abrasion resistance at knees and hips(which I have tested :) at 20mph in the dirt and grass), and I suppose the rear, but are mesh in the crotch and side legs. They breathe well in gulf Texas summer heat. Cooler than jeans for sure.

As previous, they are baggy (enough to be overpants) but do not look bad, on my frame, at least.

They are a couple models years old, so not sure what changed other than exterior pockets being and it sounds like removal of padding. Klim has done that over the past few years - made some of the padding "optional" (ie not included) or removed the pad pockes altogether. Disappointing.

backpain screwed with this post 09-12-2014 at 05:21 AM
backpain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 04:58 AM   #10
TN3Sport
East TN DS Rider

Oddometer: 188
Klim Mojave are on closeout at Revzilla at a very good price. Others have mentioned their benefits which I concur with. So, I will not repeat them.
I'll add that the hip pockets on both sides are large and durable enough to carry a firearm, wallet, iphone, etc.

Really like these pants for early fall, late spring, and all of summer.

Only criticism is that the stock padding likely provides very little protection. However, it likely keeps the price down to reasonable levels.
An upgrade to D30 should be considered once you purchase the pants.
TN3Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 05:28 AM   #11
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 692
I've got a pair of Detour 8504 armored mesh pants, which are house brand for Jafrum. I'm reasonably well pleased with them. The do come in wide variety of sizes, they do ventilate well, they don't look hideous (though they aren't pretty either), and they were only ~$80.

I have not crashed in them, so I can't say how well they work for that. Nor have I directly compared them to other brands.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 05:55 AM   #12
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 954
I've got a pair of Airglides for sale in the classifieds if you're interested.

They're good pants, and with your armor you'd be good to go.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:46 PM   #13
DWK2 OP
Other Bike's A Rokon

I'm grateful for all of your good advice. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a size that would fit me in the RevZilla closeout Mojaves. I concur that their closeout price is good.

I'll look at the other options mentioned.

Much appreciated,

Dave
Old 09-13-2014, 05:21 AM   #14
Big D
So Cal

Oddometer: 139
I have Joe Rocket Phoenix 3.0. Get gray/silver color, not baggy at all. Enough mesh for good air flow. Good mix of mesh and fabric. Summer wear over shorts , winter over jeans. Sale priced at Competition Accessories $134 XL
Today it's going to be 104 degrees inland So Cal. Always wear on freeway trips year round.
Daryl
Enjoy 07 GSA So Cal
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 01:39 PM   #15
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,614
Another vote for Mojaves in gray.

Someone mentioned the vents - those are the Dakars. The Mojave is all mesh.

Mine have thousands of offroad miles and are still my go-to's for summer riding, any time it's over 70. With a pair of long johns under are good for cooler mornings, maybe down to 60's. My mesh gear gets by far the most wear out of all the gear I own. (so-Cal)

If you think they're too baggy get the in-the-boot version. Plenty of knee room for mx guards.

A lighter color reflects more heat. Pockets are really handy.

Sometimes atomicmoto.com will run a sale.

browneye is offline   Reply With Quote