User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2014, 03:04 PM   #1
Bullmoose45 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Klim Sucky Warranty Service

Hey guys has anyone else had problems with Klim warranty Dept?
Ive had to deal with them twice and each time was a total pain in the Ass!
The worst part both instances were about a problem with a coat that really was a product defect.
My Klim Hi-vis coat that was only one season old faded to almost white or Gray which ever, and they say that Klim does not cover fading!
I remember when Stitch had a similar problem they recalled all the coats and replaced them. I know once this coat problem is resolved I won't be buying anymore Klim products. They really need to address their warranty procedures.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:20 PM   #2
DWK2
Other Bike's A Rokon

Oddometer: 58
Sorry to hear that---especially since I recently bought a Klim Induction jacket in the hi-viz color....
DWK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:26 PM   #3
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,678
I've dealt with them 3 times with warranty repair. They were actually pretty good about it. The last time, they didn't want to tell me yes or no if they'd cover the damage and knowing better that I don't want to be stuck paying return shipping like they made me do before, I pressed the issue until I spoke with someone else and they repaired that particular jacket. I wouldn't expect them or any company to cover the fading of colors in clothing unless they specifically say they warranty it. I guess that's why I always buy grey or black gear. Isn't hiviz notorious for fading?
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:42 PM   #4
Bullmoose45 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Hi-viz fading

Yes Some hi-viz coats fad ,but a lot of them don't. I have an Olympia coat that is four years old and looks great. I think it depends on the cloth or fabric they are made of. If the mfg makes coats of inferior fabric they should stand behind the coat.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:56 PM   #5
DWK2
Other Bike's A Rokon

Oddometer: 58
I sort of take the flip side of what Hikertrash said: If they aren't going to cover it under warranty, it should be up to them to specifically exclude fading from coverage. Wouldn't be that hard to add a sentence or two to the warranty language.

Dave
DWK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:32 PM   #6
MilSpecXC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
I just dealt with them on an issue with their gloves. They went above and beyond my expectations to ensure I had a pair that fit and in time for my trip. It didn't excuse the quality problems with 3 different pairs of gloves, but the customer service rep was amazing.
MilSpecXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 05:33 AM   #7
catalina38
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,544
I had one significant problem and they went all out to make it right and set of gloves as a gift.
All HiViz fades over time, some faster than others. I have had plenty of Hiviz gear over the past few years and it all faded.

KTM 990R 500EXC
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:01 AM   #8
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 993
I dealt with them on a Badlands jacket... zipper broke while I was on a trip. There were kinda crappy about it. I ended up selling the jacket at a big discount (mainly because I was pissed).
I was going to do a personal boycott of Klim, but found they make stuff that I like better than most other companies. So, I still buy from Klim. (There aren't a lot of manufacturers using Gore-Tex.)
Old 09-11-2014, 07:58 AM   #9
keiji
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,010
They told me that water coming through the vent zips ( even when closed) doesn't count against the guarantee to keep you dry.

They also crushed the zipper when testing it.

I sent that shit right back to WL Gore and got my money back.
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:05 AM   #10
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by keiji View Post
They told me that water coming through the vent zips ( even when closed) doesn't count against the guarantee to keep you dry.

Doesn't gore do final design testing for this reason? I was under the impression that was part of the reason it costs what it does. Could be wrong.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:07 AM   #11
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,021
In my neck of the wood, we automatically are protected under a legal warranty when we bought goods.

Whatever what the manufacturers say under their Limited Warranty, "the legal warranty is a minimum legal protection for consumers. It applies automatically when you buy something.

The legal warranty says that, if a merchant sells you something that isn't of good quality, durable, safe and in line with any expectations created by the merchant, you can, among other things, get a refund or have the product replaced. The legal warranty also protects consumers against hidden defects."

Here's what this warranty says about the durability:

"The length of time a product lasts, also called the "life expectancy", should be reasonable given the price paid, the terms of the contract and any conditions that apply to the use of the product.

In other words, you are protected against defects in a product that appear after you buy it if you use the goods properly.

Of course, an expensive, high-end product will be under the legal warranty for a longer time than a cheaper low-quality product."

So, even if Hi-Viz fabrics are known for fading over time, 1 year of "normal use" for a high end (or highly priced) product like a Klim jacket isn't what I'd call a normal life expectancy. Especially given the price paid.

I'm pretty sure such a legal warranty exists south of the border. Isn't what you call "implied warranty" or something?

Old 09-11-2014, 09:25 AM   #12
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 1,167
I will stick with my Olympia and First Gear items as the both have very good to deal with and I think the gear is much more fairly priced. Glad this post came as I looking at a pair of their high end pants.

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 12:40 PM   #13
quickstop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
The key with all these issues is to find the right person to speak to at the company, problem is you never know who that is. P.S. it's never the first person you talk to
quickstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:23 PM   #14
Bikedude987
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by keiji View Post

GORE produces fabric (Gore-tex)

KLIM makes the jacket.

Don't blame GORE for KLIM's failing.

BTW, i also have had shitty warranty service from them and they will not be getting another red cent from me.
Bikedude987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 05:39 PM   #15
keiji
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikedude987 View Post
GORE produces fabric (Gore-tex)

KLIM makes the jacket.

Don't blame GORE for KLIM's failing.

BTW, i also have had shitty warranty service from them and they will not be getting another red cent from me.
I'm not blaming Gore - I know they will stand by their Guarantee.

I blame Klim for dicking around for two months before I got smart and talked to the right person (company).
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote