Old 05-03-2012, 04:21 PM   #46
G-RDR OP
gedubya

Oddometer: 44
Wont Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by istbenz View Post
Yes!

What day works? I'm out this Saturday (moving).

Maybe Sunday??? What say you guys???

BA
Murrays hours are 11-9 m-f, 11-3 sat and closed sunday. How about Saturday the 19th?
G-RDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #47
themocksta
Lost in this place

Oddometer: 85
Also moving out to san angelo, around the 1st of july. Have a 06 klr650 and a 10 z1000. would be great to meet people to ride with and cool places to ride down in texas.

"That beaver cowboy hat may not have said anything disrespectful but you have to quarantine it if it starts chewing on the furniture or building a dam in the living room" -jamespowers
themocksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #48
G-RDR OP
gedubya

Welcome!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by themocksta View Post
Also moving out to san angelo, around the 1st of july. Have a 06 klr650 and a 10 z1000. would be great to meet people to ride with and cool places to ride down in texas.
I will probably be taking a road trip to Arkansas the end of August for "Beyond Epic". Will be hauling the bike and probably staying in a hotel with some fellow riders.

If you, or anyone else is interested, you should come! I haven't been before, But some friends of mine say it's a blast. Lots of single track in the woods. Tough riding, I think.

Here are some websites to check out:

http://www.twtex.com/?

http://texasadventure.net/events/beyond-epic

http://texasadventure.net/

Upcoming Events

Ozark Riding

Beyond Epic 4: Aug 31- Sep 3, 2012 Clarksville, Arkansas. When riders in the south central United States need to ride the twisties they head for northwest Arkansas and the heart of the Ozark Mountains. The area is completely full of amazingly fun twisty roads. But, wait, that’s not all. Northwest Arkansas is home to the Ozark National Forest, which just happens to offer some fantastic dual sport riding. So whether you want to ride pavement, dirt, or both, the Beyond Epic rally is the place to be on Labor Day weekend.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:22 AM   #49
lpr22
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
I was thinking about doing the Arkansas ride, but then I thought about the heat and humidity there and how that can be pretty uncomfortable with all the gear one wears, but I might still do it I havent made up my mind yet. Is anyone doing the Terlingua ride in october?
lpr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:45 PM   #50
JonU
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Tagging a WR450F in Texas.

Hey guys, just wanted to introduce myself befor asking a question that has probably been asked and i just haven't found it yet. I live out in El Paso and have currently been seriously looking at getting my first bike the last couple of weeks. I've decided on a dual sport since that will allow me to do everything I enjoy doing (what it won't do my 240Z can). I don't have any previous bike experience but I have driven quads before. I've pretty much narrowed it down to either a WR250R or a WR450F depending on how hard it would be to get the 450 tagged. Right now the dealership has two 2012 WR450F's, 2012 WR250R, and a 2011 WR250R. All three bikes are brand new. I have had a chance to sit on all three and I have no issues flatfooting them (it's nice to be tall). So my biggest question that I'm hoping you guys can answer is this: How hard would it be to get the WR450F tagged if i buy a dual sport kit from somebody like Baja Designs? It seems to me that everything I would need is in that kit and as long as it is otherwise stock, I shouldn't have any problems. Thanks in advance for any help.
JonU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:11 AM   #51
G-RDR OP
gedubya

Tagging an off road bike

I've never done it, so I'm not the expert. But I have thought about doing it. Did you talk to the Dealer? Maybe they know the in's and out's and have done it before. I think you have to replace the tires with DOT approved ones. Maybe make a visit to your Vehicle Licensing Department.

Do you get a regular title when you buy an off road bike? I think once you get it ready for licensing, you have to get it inspected by DPS, (Not the Inspection Sticker Inspection)

So that's three sources you can talk too.

Here's another idea. Do a search on Cycle Trader for the 450 and see if you can find a street legal version. Call the person up and explain what you are trying to do. Most people that ride are cool and would be glad to help.

Did you ever think about a KTM? They have a newly designed 500 exc that Dirt Bike Magazine loves. I am thinking about picking one up. They are already street legal. I think you have a KTM dealer in El Paso.

Sorry I wasn't more help! Let us know how it turns out.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:32 PM   #52
JonU
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Ok, so I'm going to have a bit more time to plan this purchase out than I initially planned. I won't actually be getting anything until roughly mid october. That being said, do you guys have any places you like to go riding out around the El Paso area? I'm not really up for trying my hand at the dunes until I get some seat time, but I would like to go out and ride some of the dirt roads and trails I know are out there (preferably something easy enough for a novice like myself).
JonU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:42 PM   #53
sm42
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Tagging a off road bike

Get a kit and get the bike street legal,tires and all.Take it and get it inspected and get a green sheet. Take that and your title( pref a tex title) with your insurance and regester it. It's really easy in texas to do this.It might might be easer to buy a street legal ktm. One problem is keeping a eye on your oil. Most wr or ktms only hold a little over a qt. of oil. I used a kit from procycle. Worked great.
Good luck.

scott
sm42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:03 PM   #54
cribaby
Dirt/Street? No Wait Dirt

Oddometer: 568
New to West Texas - relocating from So Cal

Everyone I am relocationg to Van Horn, TX in early Nov and I am looking for advice on single track and off road trails in the area.

Any help will be appreicated as I have only been there for a couple of days during my interview process and have no idea of what is avalible to legally ride, I will be out exploring the surrounding area trying to find the riding, but getting some local help will reduce the learning curve.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to sharing some riding with the area riders

Charlie
Old 09-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #55
G-RDR OP
gedubya

Eek Van horn

Van Horn is around 280 miles from San Angelo, 120 from El Paso, local for us is long distance for most.

So if you want to travel, Big Bend State Park is fun to ride in and is about 120 miles from you. Big Bend National Park is good too!

You can probably get in behind Guadalupe Mountain National Park in about 100 miles. 140 miles to Sitting Bull Falls, NM where I have camped before.

About 200 miles from you, south of Cloudcroft NM is lots of single track, and there are trees there! Beautiful!

There was supposed to be a motorsports park opening around Ozona, TX which would be about 220 miles from Van Horn.

Let us know if you find something near you.

You may have mentioned it, but what kind of bike / bikes do you have?
Old 09-25-2012, 06:25 AM   #56
cribaby

G-RDR
Thanks for the info and yes I am coming to terms with the long distances between areas. When I was out there interviewing I went up to Cloudcroft and explored the town and area - I got a map from the Forest Service showing the legal trails so that will probably be one of my explorational starting points at least till the ara is snowed out. Does Big Bend State Park allow OHV's?

I have an plated XR400 for the dirt and trails and a 650 wee strom setup for camping off the bike.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:58 AM   #57
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
The only legal riding in the Van Horn area is on county roads...
look for Chispa Road ...south of Van Horn
Big Tank Road ...west of Van Horn
Quitman Pass ...south of Sierra Blanca
FM 2185 northeast of Van Horn eventually turns into a dirt road and will take you to Hwy 652...
Elcor-Toyah Road is out there also...

Big Bend Ranch State Park requires a permit and street legal equipment...
riding is restricted to marked roads and 4WD roads.

There is some pretty rough jeep trails in the Lincoln Nat'l Forest/Guadalupe district near Queen, New Mexico
Access is thru Dell City and then to El Paso Gap, or south of Carlsbad, thru Dark Canyon

SKINNY screwed with this post 09-25-2012 at 10:04 AM
SKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:59 AM   #58
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,406
Be careful... the edge of the Earth is out there... some where...

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:00 PM   #59
cribaby

SKINNY
Thanks for the info it's a good starting point - I'm sure as time goes on I'll find some of the areas secert jems

NFE
Thanks for the heads up I keep an eye out for it.

Charlie
Old 09-25-2012, 03:27 PM   #60
Crashnchris27
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Relocating from Canada to Wichita Falls TX

Just posted this in Texas Adventure Riders check in here maybe it belongs here instead...

In the process of relocating from Toronto Canada, to Wichita Falls Texas. Cant wait to ride year round, dont know if this is the right forum to post in but if anyone knows any good spots around I'm all ears Maybe ill see some of you soon.

Chris,
Crashnchris27 is offline   Reply With Quote