Old 12-13-2011, 03:03 PM   #61
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Oddometer: 9,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post
I'm talking standings, not rankings.

Like here:
My understanding Jurgen is, those points come from the votes they receive. (The numbers in the hundreds.) And I once knew what that amounted to, but have forgotten. But there is a formula. In their conferences, as Grainbelt said, their points are accumulated on the same formula as the NHL uses.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:08 PM   #62
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post
I'm talking standings, not rankings.

Like here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLK View Post
Air Force 8 2 1 .773 17
Mercyhurst 7 2 2 .727 16
RIT 7 3 2 .667 16

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/conference/wcha/#ixzz1gMNZ83Qb
Those columns are Team; wins; losses; ties; win %, points

Air Force: 8 wins, 2 losses, 1 tie. 16 points for the 8 wins, 1 point for the tie, is a total of 17. They played 11 games with an available 22 points so their 'win %' is 17/22 or .773.

The only time voting comes into play is for the polls, of which USCHO runs one and I think USA Today runs another. They have zero bearing on tournament selection.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:30 PM   #63
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 39,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
Points within conferences are 2 for a win, one for a tie. Leader in conference standings at the end of the regular season get an automatic NCAA berth.

The main calculation to fill out the rest of the 16-team field is the PairWise rankings. They take head-to-head matchups of most of the teams (I think everybody in D-I over .500) and the more teams above .500 you've beat, the higher your ranking, with ties broken by head-to-head matchups. USCHO updates the PairWise all year, you can check it on there site every Tuesday, I think. Link

The NCAA Hockey tournament selection is probably the fairest I've seen in the major sports, probably because the sample size is reasonable small.
Cool

I know in NCAA soccer rankings have nothing to do with the tournament. This year UNM was ranked 1-2, and got a 10 seed. I think UNM was over ranked, but at the same time that poor of seeding hurt them.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:09 AM   #64
RLK

Oddometer: 6,303
I misuse the term league. I suppose they are called associations. Each association sends its regular season points leader (points within the association) to the NCAA tournament. Each association has its own post season tournament and if a team other than the regular season champ wins, that team also goes to the NCAA final 16. Air Force got in last year by winning the AHA tournament.
RLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:32 AM   #65
RLK

WOOT!!

CC is in Mankato, MN this week and Denver is in St Cloud. The games are at the same times both nights. Somehow I don't think they will be on the same flights.

All three top teams in the WCHA, MN, Duluth and Omaha have the weekend off. With a sweep CC would move past Omaha and be 4 points off the lead.

GO TIGERS!!
Old 12-18-2011, 09:13 AM   #66
RLK

... and it was. CC needed OT again Fri. but capitalized on PPs 4 times Sat and won 6-2. The tigers gave up another shorthanded goal.

Denver split.

Happy Birthday Jesus.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:32 PM   #67
Crocodile Tears OP
The 906

Oddometer: 3,466
GLI time!

Tech loses the first game 3-1 on a late empty netter to sparty. Michigan (booooooo) beats boston college 4-2 in the night game. Gives us Michigan (booooooo) v Michigan State for the championship and Tech/Boston College for third tomorrow.

Go Tech!

2009 KLX250S
2005 Bandit 1200S
Crocodile Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:24 PM   #68
RLK

Good grief! CC has given up 7 shorthanded goals; as in CC's power play has given up 7 f'ing goals. Prowler is weeping.

Air Force is SOLID!! Two forecheckers playing hot persuit, NO easy outs, almost no dump and change. They worked harder on every lose puck. They really outskated the Tigers on the Olympic sized ice. ~Feisty little goalie that pushes people around... neat little set plays like extending a shift when CC dumped and changed for an easy in up the far boards... The Zoomies have their shit together right now.

Go Falcons!!

Beat Denver!!

I nabbed a puck from warmups and won $30 of Taco Bell from Chuck-a-puck for a buck. Well worth $15!
Old 12-31-2011, 01:56 AM   #69
Crocodile Tears OP
The 906

Oddometer: 3,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocodile Tears View Post
GLI time!

Tech loses the first game 3-1 on a late empty netter to sparty. Michigan (booooooo) beats boston college 4-2 in the night game. Gives us Michigan (booooooo) v Michigan State for the championship and Tech/Boston College for third tomorrow.

Go Tech!
lost 2-1

dammit tech

2009 KLX250S
2005 Bandit 1200S
Crocodile Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:03 AM   #70
1LIFE2LIVE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocodile Tears View Post
GLI time!

Go Tech!
Wolverines down 2 - 1 with only minutes remaining in the 3rd period, tie it up & WIN over the Spartans last night in overtime 3 - 2 !!

Boston beat Michigan Tech in the earlier game.

1LIFE2LIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:40 PM   #71
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,450
UMass Lowell is 4th in hockey east (12th overall), down 4 points but they have 2 games in hand hopefully they can make it to the Garden this year for the Hockey East tournament.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:45 AM   #72
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 39,550
Jurgen's New Year's eve

AFA hosts the DU Pioneers. Previous night Air Force had beaten highly ranked Colorado College. (missing a couple of guys due to the World Hockey gig) So Saturday was a classic trap game. DU was on notice that Air Force could bite. Air Force, unfortunately forgot to show up.

The home team not showing up was the theme for the weekend. New Year's day I went to watch a pathetic Broncos vs Chiefs game.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:52 AM   #73
RLK

Sheesh Jurgen! All the home teams lost, the UNM Lobos obviously stink at home, might there be a JURGEN EFFECT occurring? How's your motorcycling going lately?

CC is at home vs Cornell and Alabama is in Denver this weekend. The whole WCHA is playing non league games. The standings won't change.

GO TIGERS!!

Its a different story for Air Force. They played their butts off Fri to win 2-1 @CC and had no fuel in the tanks Sat. The AHA is all playing in-league series this weekend and there's 7 teams within 5 points of the Falcon's 17. The seventh is Holy Cross who will host AF this weekend. This is no time for a letdown.

GO FALCONS!!

I don't anticipate any slack from AF this weekend. They laid a turd in the Cadet Ice Arena last week and that sort of thing is not taken lightly at the United States Air Force Academy.

Amen.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:33 PM   #74
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLK View Post
The whole WCHA is playing non league games. The standings won't change.
WCHA standings won't change, but there are some good matchups between teams that look like they have a shot at the NCAA tournament. Notre Dame vs. Minnesota, Cornell vs. CC, Western Mich vs. UMN-Duluth.

These interconference games can have a big impact in the pairwise.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:28 PM   #75
LaPorte 0715
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
WMU and ND play a home and home this weekend. I hope that WMU gets back on track and some how manages to take both games. These are going to be great games and I wish I could attend. Savor this match up while you can because after next season these two teams probably won't be playing each other much due to both teams changing conferences.
PS- my son will be playing for the Broncos next season and I can't wait to see him skate against ND. He has some friends on ND including three teammates from his 8 and under mite team. Who would have thought that 4 kids from the same mite team would be playing Div. 1 hockey.
LaPorte 0715 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: