Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2012, 07:32 PM   #91
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,836
Good win for the Gophs. CC's goalie played very well (again) but Minnesota seemed to control the majority of the even-strength play.

I didn't take many shots, I was busy being a fan.

Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:00 PM   #92
RLK

Oddometer: 6,340
A split is a good result for CC. Thanks for the snaps GB! Looks like a good time.

Air Force won their first game since they beat CC 6 games ago. Falcons 4 Black Knights 2.

All of the sudden there's only 5 more home reg season games. Cheap seats for Denver are $19 but the baby needs new shoes. They are only $9 for Tech Mar. 3. I'll take 2 please.
RLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:29 PM   #93
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLK View Post
A split is a good result for CC. Thanks for the snaps GB! Looks like a good time.
Mariucci Arena is a great place for a game. I was the guest of a friend who has season tickets in row 7, on the end the gophs shoot at twice. Great fun!

I hadn't been to a gopher hockey game since driving to Grand Forks from Saskatoon to watch them lose to Holy Cross in the NCAA in 2006 or 2007. They do need to learn how to play on Friday - lapses have put them on the bubble of the tournament, with not many games left against TUCs to make up ground.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:06 PM   #94
LaPorte 0715
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Thought I would toss this out there for anyone interested. The Resch Center in Green Bay does not have a bad seat in the house. It is easily the best arena in the USHL and it holds about 8 to 9 thousand people. I also highly recommend the fried cheese curds there.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/icehockey-m...onship-tickets
LaPorte 0715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:26 PM   #95
Crocodile Tears OP
The 906

Oddometer: 3,473
Never thought a tie would be so sweet

Quote:
DULUTH, Minn. — The top-ranked team in Division I outran Michigan Tech for 20 minutes and took a four-goal lead Friday night at Amsoil Arena, but it was hardly enough.

Minnesota Duluth stopped its pursuit and had to hold on for a 4-4 overtime tie in a Western Collegiate Hockey Association men’s game before an announced crowd of 6,670.

The Bulldogs (17-4-4 and 11-3-3 in the WCHA) left the rink as if they had lost.

Michigan Tech (11-12-2 and 8-7-2) left as if it had won. The Huskies did win the final two periods after being outmatched 4-0 in the first.

“When coach (Mel) Pearson came in after the first period, he told us about a Michigan team he coached that was down 5-1 against North Dakota in the Great Lakes Invitational, and came back to win in overtime,” said Michigan Tech freshman winger David Johnstone. “He just asked us to play better, to chip the puck behind UMD and try to slow their transition game. We got UMD to turn the puck over and they might’ve gotten frustrated. And our goalie (Josh Robinson) bounced back from the first period and played amazingly.”

Michigan Tech outshot Minnesota-Duluth 19-8 in the third period and scored three goals — even-strength, short-handed and on a power play. The tying goal came as Johnstone went to the front of the UMD net and had passes from Brett Olson and Jordan Baker. Johnstone kicked the puck to his stick and found an open net behind goalie Kenny Reiter with 5:48 left in regulation.

After seven straight losses to Minnesota-Duluth, the Huskies were happy with a tie.

The Bulldogs said the tie hurt worse than any loss this season.

“As the game went on, we stopped doing what makes us successful and it’s humbling,” said UMD freshman defenseman Chris Casto. “It was the opposite from many of our games. First periods haven’t been that good for us, and the third period is usually our best. We had a substantial lead and let that get away.”

Minnesota-Duluth is 16-1-4 the last 21 games and the Huskies are 5-10-1 the last 16. And the Bulldogs looked like much the better team early.

Senior winger David Grun’s first goal of the season 5:50 into the game gave Minnesota-Duluth a 1-0 lead, then freshman winger Caleb Herbert and senior defenseman Brady Lamb followed with rapid-fire connections, scoring on consecutive shots 38 seconds apart for a 3-0 lead at 10:58.

With 4:47 left in the first period, Herbert added his 10th goal of the season on a pass from Travis Oleksuk.

“All the nice goals were created from hard work, and transitioning and attacking, and then we quit working,” said Bulldogs coach Scott Sandelin. “We got outworked for the next 40 minutes.”

Michigan Tech’s Ryan Furne scored the only goal of the second period, with 4:47 left, and then Baker connected 41 seconds into the third period. Minnesota-Duluth’s lead was 4-2. Jacob Johnstone, David’s brother and centerman, earned a short-handed goal near the end of a Bulldogs’ five-minute power play with 8:54 left in regulation. With J.T. Brown off for cross checking, the Huskies got the equalizer.

“Our goalie played much better after the first period, his game improved, and that gave us a chance,” said Pearson, a former Michigan Tech player in his first year as head coach. “I thought we dominated the third period.”

Robinson robbed Jack Connolly (who had a 22-game point streak end) and Brown, while the Bulldogs also hit two pipes. In overtime, Minnesota-Duluth led in shots 3-1, but the Bullldogs were 0-of-4 on power plays and are 0-of-19 the past five games.

The tie dropped the Bulldogs three points behind first-place Minnesota, a 2-1 winner over St. Cloud State. Minnesota-Duluth does have two games in hand.

“This does sting; it’s a rotten feeling,” said Herbert. “Michigan Tech played a simple game and all of their guys kept working, and moving their feet. They were hungrier than we were.”

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/recaps/2012/01/...#ixzz1kjQGTBdd

2014 CB500X
2009 KLX250S
2005 Bandit 1200S
Crocodile Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:07 PM   #96
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
They do need to learn how to play on Friday - lapses have put them on the bubble of the tournament, with not many games left against TUCs to make up ground.
Good win tonight at home against St. Cloud, but with this being a home-and-home, they'll have a tough night tonight on the road in what is a pretty loud barn.

I have really been unimpressed with Haula, he's pretty much invisible out there. Bjugstad is a stud, I hope he stays and doesn't go pro early.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:48 PM   #97
Crocodile Tears OP
The 906

listening to Tech - UMD, and Tech is up 4-0 after the first period.

I do believe I'll turn it off and go to the bar in hopes of not jinxing them and having duluth come back like tech did last night

As an aside, 8 of the last 9 games for tech, the opponent has scored first, corresponding with the recent slide.

Go Tech! Finish strong!

2014 CB500X
2009 KLX250S
2005 Bandit 1200S
Old 01-28-2012, 08:48 PM   #98
RLK

The College of Neduro's hockey team is off this weekend and The United States Air Force Academy's plays Sun afternoon and Monday night at Canisius this week. The Golden Griffins play a lot of weekday games because they share their rink with Buffalo State and a community college puck team.

GO Falcons!!

Egads!! Denver has 4 in the 1st in Anchorage. BOO!

Nice going M Tech!
Old 01-28-2012, 08:52 PM   #99
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Hard-fought sweep by the Gophs in their home-and-home against St. Cloud.

Won't help them in the pairwise unless St. Cloud finishes the season above .500

Thanks Tech for beating up on the Bulldogs!
Old 01-30-2012, 06:45 PM   #100
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Re-watching Miracle for the first time in a while tonight. Forgot how great this movie is.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:50 PM   #101
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Oddometer: 9,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
Re-watching Miracle for the first time in a while tonight. Forgot how great this movie is.

The movie....HOW GREAT WAS THE REAL EVENT? I just stopped writing Brooks name in for President! That was still so awesome nothing in sports has compared.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:20 PM   #102
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrineclown View Post
The movie....HOW GREAT WAS THE REAL EVENT? I just stopped writing Brooks name in for President! That was still so awesome nothing in sports has compared.
I, uh, wasn't alive for that.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #103
Crocodile Tears OP
The 906

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrineclown View Post
Herb was the man (so I've read, also not alive for it ), and minnesota had some amazing teams back in those days. The final glory days of Michigan Tech with John MacInnes back then as well, last time in the frozen four was 81 and its been pretty abysmal since.

Heres highlights from the Tech - UMD series

2014 CB500X
2009 KLX250S
2005 Bandit 1200S
Old 01-30-2012, 07:32 PM   #104
Crocodile Tears OP
The 906

Actually, speaking of Herb Brooks / John MacInnes,

THE 1975 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!

and the full game if you've got a spare two hours

2014 CB500X
2009 KLX250S
2005 Bandit 1200S
Old 02-03-2012, 12:50 PM   #105
RLK

This as good as it gets for regular season hockey. AHA #1 Rochester visits The United States Air Force Academy #3 this weekend. This league is tight at the top. 4 points seperate 6 teams. Go Falcons!!

The Gold Pan Trophy goes to the team that wins this weekend between The College of Neduro and The College of The Fist. AKA CC vs. DU. The home team has won each game by one goal in the season series. If they split. DU keeps it and Prowler weeps. Go Tigers!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: