User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2014, 10:28 AM   #1
AK Rider/MotoQuest OP
Ride Alaska & Beyond

Oddometer: 249
Day 1: 2014 Laos Motorcycle Adventure

MotoQuest´s Laos Motorcycle Adventure began yesterday. Our guide Lynn Brown will do his best to keep us updated on what´s going on. Here are the first few photos taken on the first day:

Welcome everyone to the Laos Tour 2014!

As the riders are flying into Vientiane, Laos from the four corners of the world, Lynn Brown, Motoquest Tour Guide wants to say hello & extend a warm welcome from all the wonderful people of Laos.
Cheers,
Lynn B.

First thing this morning, before we hit the road, we stopped at a Temple to have all riders, plus their bikes, blessed by the Monks. This is a wonderful experience. The Monks chant soothing words wishing us a safe & enjoyable journey, then they tie protective strings on both left & right wrist.
Next, they tie the strings on our bike & sprinkle holy water over us & the bikes using a lotus blossom.

String tying:

Photo of the gang leaving the Temple in Vientiane. After the Monks blessing, the gang hits the road:

Victory Arch in Vientiane:

Beverage stop at the Nam Ngum River:

View from our rooms in Vang Vieng:

Fantastic first day of riding. We are enjoying this wonderful view of the Nam Song River with the limestone karsts looming in the background. After a soothing, but cold shower, it's time for some evening beverages followed by dinner.
Talk with you again tomorrow
Cheers from Laos.

Click here for more info on MotoQuest´s Laos Motorcycle Adventure: http://bit.ly/mqlaosadventure

MotoQuest
Motorcycle Tours, Rentals and Self-Guided Adventures Worldwide

AK Rider/MotoQuest screwed with this post 01-22-2014 at 07:30 AM Reason: 2014 Laos Motorcycle Adventure January
AK Rider/MotoQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:22 AM   #2
AK Rider/MotoQuest OP
Ride Alaska & Beyond

Days 2 & 3: Laos Motorcycle Adventure with MotoQuest

Well....as they say, let the good times keep rolling.
Yesterday, we entered the big mountains north of Vang Vieng. Fantastic mountain vistas, endless curves, 100 km of turn after turn, 2nd & 3rd gear, Highway 7 in north Laos makes the Tail of the Dragon look like a beginners course.

Our late afternoon arrival into Phonsavan, home of the famous Plain of Jars, took us to the Auberge Resort on a nearby hill overlooking the city below. A delicious dinner with beverages served by candle light & a warm fire in the fireplace took the chill off everyone's bones. Seems to be unseasonably cool throughout SE Asia.

After a good nights sleep, we headed to the Plain of Jars Site #1 (check them out on Google), plus check out my photos. Then it was off to Sites #2 & #3. Even though these jars were quarried & chiseled in the 17th Century, evidence of the Secret War in the 1960's & 70's can be seen everywhere by bomb craters the size of a Mack truck & a few left over Mig 21's at the abandoned airport below. Interesting day to say the least.

Lunch stop on top of the mountains in Laos:

The gang at the Plain of Jars:

Lynn, big tour guide & big jar at the Plain of Jars:

Bill & Mia checking out a jar at Site 2:

Well used Russian tank near the Plain of Jars:

Lucky Buddah, the temple was destroyed by US bombers in the secret war, but Lucky survived:

The field of jars at the Plain of Jars:

Unique jar with lid:

Lynn at a Stupa in Muang Khong:

Manisha checking out one of the jars:

Truck full of motorbikes heading to Vietnam:

Hmong kids´ 4 wheel transportation:

Check out item #16 on the menu..:

Since it´s time for dinner, I'll say goodby for now.

Tomorrow we head for Sam , which is located in the extreme northeast of Laos.

Cheers for now
Lynn

For more info on our Laos Adventure click here: http://bit.ly/mqlaosadventure

MotoQuest

Old 01-27-2014, 05:07 AM   #3
AK Rider/MotoQuest OP
Ride Alaska & Beyond

2014 Laos Motorcycle Adventure continues..

On the road to Sam Neua:

Welcome to Houaphanh!:

Street traffic in downtown Sam Neua:

Sam Neua is located in north east Laos near the Vietnam border.
Because of total destruction during the Secret War of the 1960's & 70's, all the structures are relatively new.

The Architectural style is more Vietnam than traditional Laos.
Few tourist venture this far off the beaten track.

For us fellow motorcycle adventure riders, getting here is way beyond cool.
The mountain roads are fantastic, cruising thru various mountain villages, Hmong children waving at us, smiles from everyone. The word "fantastic" can't even describe what it is like to visit this part of SE Asia.

I had heard rumors about a Cuban Hospital built during the Secret War near Vieng Xai.

Today was my lucky day.......

Not only did I locate the hospital, but found out there were actually two hospitals.

The white 2 story building in the background of this photo was built around 1974, near the end of the Secret War.

A 2nd hospital was actually built inside the mountain behind the white hospital & completely secluded within an elaborate network of caves.

This 2nd hospital inside the mountain was built sometime in the 1960's, by the Cubans to help the wounded North Vietnamese & Pathlet Soldiers.

The only access into this cave hospital is via concealed bomb proof blast doors the were completely camouflaged & not visible from the air.

Inside the mountain hospital caves, we discovered elaborate operating rooms with white tile floors & walls, central plumbing trenches, concealed terraces outside the caves, store rooms, beds, ward designation areas. We estimate this could have housed 500 to 800 patients or more.

Im keeping this location a secret and I doubt if you will find any information about it anywhere.

If you are lucky enough to join me on a future Laos Tour, I may share this jewel of a secret with you.

Concealed blast door into the cave hospital:

Hospital beds inside the hospital cave:

Memories of the Secret War at Vieng Xai.

Vieng Xai was the headquarters of the Pathlet Lao Army during the Secret War. Here approximately 20,000 soldiers & civilians lived inside a number of caves.

The daily threat from US war planes required these people to live inside the caves during the day & only come out during nighttime. Farmers worked at night, food could only be cooked under the concealment of darkness. Life was difficult.

Air strikes could occur anytime. This small city within the caves did have all the amenities; schools, a bakers, barber shop, new paper printing press, telecommunications, hospital, nursery, anything any normal city would have, but everything was concealed in caves.

This is a grim reminder of war & the ability of the Pathlet Lao to survive a Secret War that the American public was not aware of in the 1960's & 70's.

To be continued...

Click here to find out more about our Laos and IndoChina Adventures:
https://www.motoquest.com/guided-motorcycle-tours-laos/

MotoQuest

Old 01-31-2014, 05:28 AM   #4
AK Rider/MotoQuest OP
Ride Alaska & Beyond

The Laos adventure continues..:

We just received more photos and news from our MotoQuest Guide, Lynn Brown, who is having a blast with our adventurers on the Laos Motorcycle Adventure 2014.

Click here for more information: http://bit.ly/mqlaosadventure

On the Nam Noen river. How about some Class II & III rapids in a small wooden boat. Quite exciting...:

Two friendly jungle dogs keep us entertained:

Camp fire dinner on the river in the remote jungle:

The tour group & the park rangers, great group of people:

Morning breakfast in the ranger camp:

Morning view of the Nam Ou River from our bungalows:

Lynn, the happy camper heading down river:

Dinner cooked over an open fire:

Lunch on the Nam Ou River at Mong Noi:
http://motoquest.smugmug.com/Destina...mong-noi-M.jpg

Bobby and Mia. Bobby is the 16 year old Lao boy who traveled with us & Mia, who celebrated her 13th birthday on our tour, is from Anchorage and she is a pillion passenger with her mother Kris:

Lao kids, looks like they will be future motorcycle riders:

The mighty Mekong River at the Pac Ou Buddha Caves:

Typical road mileage marker sign:

This is the view from my room.
Luang Prabang is the jewel of Laos. Located up country on the Mekong River, was the summer residence of the former King & Queen of Laos.
Today it is a UNESCO World Heritage City filled with beautiful French & Laos Architecture:

Breathtaking waterfalls near Luang Prabang:

Sunset over the Mekong with a cold Beerlao:

Kris & Mia, mother & daughter enjoying an elephant ride:

Everyone enjoying the river, especially the elephants:

Click here to know more about MotoQuest´s Laos Motorcycle Adventure: http://bit.ly/mqlaosadventure

Click here to see photos from other MotoQuest Adventures:
https://www.facebook.com/MotoQuest

Click here to see what MotoQuest is all about:
www.motoquest.com

MotoQuest

Old 02-05-2014, 01:27 AM   #5
AK Rider/MotoQuest OP
Ride Alaska & Beyond

2014 Laos Adventure comes to an end..

The Laos Tour for 2014 has come to an end.
The memories shared with new found friends will last a lifetime. As the tour guide, I would like to personally extend a special heart felt thank you to the entire gang who rode with me. I shall always remember those smiling faces I observed from my motorcycle side mirrors. Riding thru the beautiful mountain roads, riding on the dusty gravel sections, through challenging road construction, dodging chickens and pigs, all I saw were happy motorcycle riders.

See all of you again somewhere.
Hugs to all of you,
Lynn Brown.

http://bit.ly/mqlaosadventure

Sunset over the Mekong river:

Bill, our Mr. Cool. Bill actually rode back to our bungalow one day to retrieve Lynn's forgotten shoes. He loved kicking his 26 horse power Honda 250cc into top gear & rocking thru the mountain roads of northern Laos:

Randy & Manisha:

Mia, our birthday girl, turned 13 on the tour:

Kris, the proud mother of Mia. Both rode 2-up on the tour:

Scott, AKA Albert Einstein, great guy:

Mr. Tui, our Laos van driver. He is the greatest:

And Lynn, the Motoquest dude who shared beautiful Laos with this special group of adventure riders. Thanks for a great ride. I'll miss everyone.

Click here to know more about our upcoming Laos trips: http://bit.ly/mqlaosadventure

MotoQuest