Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2011, 09:15 PM   #46
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Oddometer: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendernz View Post
Really enjoyable stuff to read. Loved the shot of the waves breaking on the road with the windswept gull in the foreground. Says 'hello' to me, that does.
Thank you! Yeah, that seagull one really surprised me when I first saw it on the screen!
Tropic-Of-Canada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:19 PM   #47
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Wow, am I ever behind on my postings! I've got a few weekends of ride photos, It's a busy time of year, and I have not found the time to post, or do much riding these days!
I was quite spoiled as far as the weather went in December. It has been brisk and frosty, but very sunny for the time of year! I ended up putting two rows of black electrical tape to try and keep the sun off of my eyes. Luckily, home is usually an eastward journey.
Around the beginning of December, I went out towards Sooke to try and find the Harrison trail system behind the Potholes. The map says OHV's are allowed, but there seems to be contradictory signage at what I thought was the main gate...I aint getting around this one either! I followed another eastward road up to a dam, and beyond that, there seemed to be a tight, single track trail. Could this be the start of the Harrison trail? I want to explore this one further when I have a partner in crime.

IMG_9243

IMG_9245

IMG_9246

IMG_9248
Old 12-29-2011, 11:45 PM   #48
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Early Dec cont'd

There's lots of cool looking old infrastructure here and there in the bush around Sooke! I think perhaps it is what is left of the original water system feeding Victoria. I'm not sure about this, but there is a lot of history in this neck of the woods.

Hmm. Wooden plumbing! I guess it went along with the wooden teeth of the day!

The grassy, leafy climb out

Tropic-Of-Canada screwed with this post 01-05-2012 at 02:18 AM
Old 12-30-2011, 12:01 AM   #49
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

I continued west of Sooke to the community of Shirley. There was a light house that I wanted to check out, but I never did find a way to get down for a closer view. I wasn't in much of a hiking mood, so this was as close as I got. Man, the sun is bright on the eyes!

IMG_9273

I also managed to find a small, deserted cove that I could ride right down into! Nice little spot for a break!

IMG_9274

IMG_9276

A tough, little Kelp

IMG_9282

IMG_9284

IMG_9291

This is December?????? The winter sun is sure putting a smile on my face!

IMG_9293

Well, time to head home, One last shot at another one of my favorite places!

IMG_9297
Old 12-31-2011, 03:15 AM   #50
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Dec 12th- ish

Today's mission: To see if I can find snow! This may be the warmest place in Canada during winter, but we still get our share of snow and ice in the hills. Last year, Mt. Washington ski resort had something like a 50 foot base or something ridiculous!

IMG_9328

I decided to head behind Shawnigan up Kapoor main towards the San Juan River valley, and not 15 minutes into the ride, its getting really icy! It is like this for about the next 10 kilometers. There's that low, burning orb in the sky I keep complaining about!

IMG_9332

I used to ride a mountain bike throughout the year when I lived in Prince George. My friends and I used to stud our own tires, snowshoe out a bike trail, and ride after it was packed down. This primed me pretty good for the slick conditions today, and I was actually surprised to find that I had a lot more traction than I thought I would, compared to the mountain bike- even without studs in my tires! I guess the extra 300 pounds of bike makes all the difference! I did take it easy though, not going much faster than about 35 kph.

IMG_9333

I find it interesting that the backroads out here are kept in such good shape, and are even properly plowed and sanded when they get dumped on. 4 inches of snow in downtown Victoria brings absolute chaos! there is widespread panic, people fight for the last snow shovels, and collisions happen in slow motion throughout the city!
I saw a lot of trucks in the bush up here today, and they all seemed to be competent, reserved drivers. It's a real contrast compared to the city.

IMG_9336

Of course, this is a good reason to take it easy too!

IMG_9337
Old 12-31-2011, 03:27 AM   #51
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

I reach the top of the San Juan river valley, and the sun is already trying to hide. There is a road on the south side of the valley ( the left side of the photo) that will take you all the way to Harris Main, which is now paved, all the way to Port Renfrew.

IMG_9341

According to my map book, you used to be able to ride up to that sunny spot on the hill. They may have de-activated the road, but it almost seems to me that there was a slide of some kind, because there is no sign of any road, whatsoever!

IMG_9343
Old 12-31-2011, 03:40 AM   #52
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

There was a fire pit, and some fuel near the dead end, so I decided to try out the fire starting sticks I bought for my back road adventures. I never go into the bush alone without bringing a few emergency items to make spending the night easier! The damp of the coast can cut right through every layer, and freeze you to the bone!

On the way up here, I passed two people with a pickup who were hunting or shooting near by. I was just packing up to leave, and I saw them coming my way, towards the dead end. I thought they might be curious why I didn't come right back from a dead end! It turns out they were just checking up to make sure I was fine. "We thought we'd better check, on you, or we'd feel like assholes if we heard someone had to spend the night in the bush later!"
It's sure good to know that people try to watch out for you in the bush! I said my thank yous and we both headed towards Shawnigan, him letting me pass.

IMG_9351
Old 12-31-2011, 03:47 AM   #53
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

It's feeling crisp, and the moon is reflecting off of the snow and ice. I wish I could photograph the dark blues better. One day I'll buy a nice camera. I'm loving my heated grips! that was a real good investment!

IMG_9349

IMG_9355

IMG_9358
Old 12-31-2011, 04:05 AM   #54
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

There's an X-files scene across a gully. some night time 4x4 action!

IMG_9362

And then some crazy thick fog just before I hit pavement. This was literally as far as I could see, luckily it was only for 1/2 a km or so. I head back to vic in the dark.

IMG_9368

I went to fill up my tank at the chevron at Tillicum road, and when I went to start my bike, I realized that I foolishly ran my battery dead by running both my heated grips, and an extra light! Well, I'm lucky it happened here, because I don't think you can bump start a centrifugal clutch! It's time I put the stock one back in i think... Well, I cant be too mad pushing from here, at least im not stuck in the woods! I pushed from Tillicum, all the way to Johnson street! I needed the exercise anyway, and it was about a 1 1/2 hr push.

Its amazing how slight grades become much less slight in the last half of the push.....
IMG_9373

On the charger she goes!
Old 01-01-2012, 02:19 AM   #55
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Dec 10, Lunar Eclipse

I heard that there was going to be a lunar eclipse, so I figured that if I happened to be up early enough to see it, that I would make the effort to go and see it. It started setting in at about 5 AM, and it was a perfectly clear morning.

IMG_9424

IMG_9441

IMG_9481

IMG_9495

Well that was cool! But I'm tired and I'm freezing my ass off, so I'm going home!

IMG_9518

The sun about to come up over the city. I hope to some day see a solar eclipse! that would be way cooler!

IMG_9522
Old 01-01-2012, 02:24 AM   #56
goran e
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
goran e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:22 AM   #57
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Dec 18-ish

Went up the Malahat to explore Spectacle and Oliphant Lakes area again. Another five star day for weather!It's sure brisk coming up here these days, the dirt ride usually helps warm me up though!

I think this goes to Bamberton.

I'd rather go up this than down.. Where's that lake?

The money shot

Just enough to make it fun!

Thats pretty amazingly frozen by island standards!

Im sure.... This is the way!

Who am I kidding? its a maze up here!

Hey, is that Oliphant ?

There! I finally found Oliphant lake by myself! I ended up on the opposite side of where I was first shown though.

Not quite thick enough for a curling stone.

I'll be back in the spring!

Tropic-Of-Canada screwed with this post 01-03-2012 at 02:46 AM
Old 01-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #58
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Merry Christmas!

IMG_9674

January 3rd I gave it a shake to see if it was fresh, and all that fell were ornaments! However I think its past time to chuck it!

IMG_9816
Old 01-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #59
jbcaddy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic-Of-Canada View Post
I hope to some day see a solar eclipse! that would be way cooler!

great photos however, a solar eclipse might be better thought of as warmer, not cooler
jbcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #60
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcaddy View Post
great photos however, a solar eclipse might be better thought of as warmer, not cooler
Hey, that's a good point!