Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #91
Mercenary
Mindless Savage

Oddometer: 957
I love my Fiskars axe. Handy piece of kit right there.....
Old 02-02-2012, 08:17 PM   #92
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Oddometer: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
I love my Fiskars axe. Handy piece of kit right there.....
The axe is good, but the saw is a real winner! I love this thing. It's even quicker as a 2 man saw.

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000">

Tropic-Of-Canada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:44 AM   #93
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Mid January Camping Experiment

Well, I told myself that I would get out for a solo winter camp close to town, just to see how I was able to cope with the cold damp winters here. As it turns out, I did pretty well! Got a good nights sleep in the tent, which is rare for me, even when summer camping! My 0C sleeping bag was just right for this temperature! I usually sweat in it if I don't open it up. I think the tarp acting as a wind break really helped too. I was quite surprised how dry my tent was in the morning too. it is usually a soaker by morning if you touch the roof! maybe that extra layer of insulation prevented condensation as well as keeping the wind off.

Cougar tracks? a bit too melted to tell, but they have been around lately!

Tried to hike down to the ocean, it was a bit too steep and slick for my liking! Beautiful sights though.

I had not checked in to the weather before I left, and by mid-morning the wind was really picking up!
Had I checked the weather network, I would have seen that there were sustained winds of 90 kph, with gusts up to 120kph! Coming back, there was a backup on the Malahat from a giant tree that fell on the road at suicide corner. Luckilly I hit the backup just before Finlayson Arm Road.

This was the Zoo of cars on the way back to town! This road is full of single lane sections, hills and blind corners! It reminded me of that television series where the ice road truckers went to northern India to try the roads in the Himalayas. People were inching by, folding in mirrors ,backing up, and one person in a front wheel drive car was stopped half way up a hill, half in the ditch to make room. When he wanted to go again, he started creeping backwards, his driven wheel in the mud! he had to back all the way down and try again!

Of course I was able to sneak by most of the jam up, so it was kind of fun! The locals are obviously used to it, they were doing traffic control through some of the narrower sections.

It was insanely windy by the way, I was getting blown all over the road, and I was glad not to be doing battle with a tent in a forest. The power was out in a few intersections, and must have been out earlier at my apartment, clocks flashing 12:00.

This was the weather warning I saw when I got home:
An intense low pressure center is moving across the British Columbia coast. Strong southeast winds of 70 to 90 gusting up to 120 km/h have developed over the British Columbia coast. In the wake of the low the strong winds will shift to southwest with speeds up to 90 gusting 110 km/h in the evening.

The wind was literally shaking my 4 story building.

Funny, on the Island, They don't bother to give a wind warning unless its more than 90 kph! yet 4" of snow shuts us right down!
Old 02-07-2012, 02:02 AM   #94
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

And the week after camping, the snow was gone, and Glorious mud Hath returned!!

IMG_0170

IMG_0175

IMG_0176

IMG_0178

Thanks for coming out Troll!

IMG_0182
Old 02-07-2012, 02:11 AM   #95
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

The day after this, electrical trouble started at the Malahat Petrocan...... Filled up, and the bike wouldn't start! Tried jumping off of Troll's bike, but blew one of his fuses for some reason...... The clerk was real cool about trying to find us a jump. He even asked another customer for us if they had cables. They didn't but were trying to help someone across the highway with their breakdown.... Jeez, tis the season.... The clerk did find some old rusty jumper cables, And I started no problem off of his car! Props to this guy! Troll and I decided that this ride was officially the longest trip for gas ever made. about 60km in all! oh well, at least he didn't have to double me back from the bush!
Old 02-07-2012, 02:50 AM   #96
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Question End of January snow yes/no we don't know ride

I tried all week to figure out my electrical problem, and checked every connection I could. I did manage to solve my flickering signal problem at least. I thought that that may have drained the battery, since they would come on solid once in a while, even with the key out. I made it to and from work all week with no problem, and kept the battery on a charger at night just in case. It kept a charge, so I decided I could go for a ride this weekend with my friends, provided we had jumper cables. I kept a good eye on my battery, and brought a volt meter to monitor it. It was iffy, but at least I was with lots of people. It was a very wet ride to Jordan River.

Well, look at that! Three DRZ'S!

We decided to try and get to the Bear Creek Resivoir, and started to hit snow at about the first dam. We saw two quads coming out, and no tracks after that. We went a LOT further than they did......not saying it stayed fun for long. It was an adventure, that's for sure!

It was so much work getting anywhere! a full body workout, especially with your feet constantly getting dragged back by the snow!

Here is a video troll took of the way up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lcP-el2xp0

Finally got to the reservoir, all four of us soaked through and exhausted

We tried to dry off under the trap and have a fire. It was a pitiful attempt at fire! It is SO hard keeping a flame on the coast when it is wet out! When I lived in the interior, it was like cheating starting a fire, even in winter. Birch bark everywhere! all you need! You could truly be screwed out here if you are stuck, cold and wet, and don't have an axe or tinder!

Oh well, it was out of the rain for a bit anyway.

We decided we had enough of smoky fires and wet, and we were starting to get cold, being soaked through. Time for the work out program phase 2, and my battery is dead! We jump it in fairly short order, (nearly hit a pun there) and make the slow, spinny way back. I try extra hard to stay upright, knowing what a pain it will be to have to jump start a bunch of times from dumping!

Like my jumper cables?

The road back was very dark, very wet, and my lights were very dim...... I took my time, not wanting to get killed, and lagged way behind on the highway... oh well, do what you gotta do. live to ride another day! I had a nice warm layer if water in my boots all day long!

I've got some serious work to do on my machine! No bush till charging problem solved! At least I can still get to and from work!
Old 02-10-2012, 06:40 AM   #97
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
I'm a wuss, I would've turned around shortly after hitting the snow. And it was raining too? I'm to much of a fair weather rider for that. But it was really cool to watch ya'll do it!

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:10 AM   #98
Mercenary
Mindless Savage

Oddometer: 957
Yea I wouldn't have gone with all that rain....

Damn....getting wimpy in my old age
Old 02-12-2012, 09:41 AM   #99
907Duc
ducatisti

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic-Of-Canada View Post
Anyone know if bikes are allowed to go to Leechtown? I don't see anything saying you CANT go! Maybe next time...
Used to go there all the time then logging company gated the roads and some of the bridges on others are gone now. They do kick people out for trespass so though there are many ways to get a bike in...........
Old 02-27-2012, 11:21 PM   #100
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Well.........ummmmm.......not much to write about these days, the machine has been in battery limbo.........
Bike is now charging, I finally replaced my stator this weekend! So I buttoned up the cover, turned the key, and no spark! That "oh shit" feeling hit me pretty good. Unfortunately when I installed it, I managed to pinch one of the pickup coil wires! I was conscious of this possibility when I put it in, the wires were very stiff though, and it pinched in a spot that I could not see or feel for.

Beginners Luck

So I soldered it up the best I could. I'll have to cut the wire, slip some shrink tube on it, and re-solder it, since I'm not sure how much wire is really left at the pinch site. A fine feeling it is wrecking brand new parts before you even get to use them! oh well, live and learn. At least I got it running.

It's my own fault, but if I wanted to blame the manufacturer, I could say that they cheaped out by not sheathing the entire length of wire. Why did it stop there? if it was a centimeter longer, it might not have happened!

Note the full length of sheathing on the OEM stator! At over $400, It wasn't an option. I went with one from RM Stator in Quebec.

Stator

It's great that my bike is charging again, but I discovered another problem....Signs of coolant in the oil!

I hope its not too expensive to fix it......I think it's either a water pump seal or the head gasket.......Either way, I'm probably going to have a shop look at it this time. If they are in there, I want them to look at my Rev-loc auto clutch (It stutters a bit in first once in a while so I think it needs an adjustment) and I want to know if installing a manual override is possible. This is my commuter as well as my toy, so I really need to start giving it the attention it deserves.

IMG_0331

Also, I'm wondering what is up with my carb..... It's looking a bit leaky too...Is this bike a ticking time bomb?

IMG_0323

IMG_0325

So I've been spending a lot more time working on the bike than riding it lately, I suppose it's a good thing really.

Oh yea, on a positive note, I got some decent, aftermarket foot pegs now, so it's much more comfortable standing. A set of bar risers will be in the future too.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:04 PM   #101
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

On the trail again!

Yess!!! Finally riding again! I solved my charging problem, and repaired that pinched wire properly. I cut it, re-soldered, and applied "Liquid Tape" to insulate it. I also looked again at the milky oil, and found that it was mostly around the starter motor gear in the stator cover. This makes me think that it might just be a shotty o-ring, considering how localized it is. I check my oil, and it is clean as can be, and I don't appear to be losing coolant. I will keep a close eye on this.

I went for a short rip up to oliphant lake, just to get off the tarmac (can't complain about riding the malahat in the dry though), and tested out the new pegs and bar risers on the trail. They are a nice improvement! It's much more comfortable standing now, though I could almost use another inch of bar height. I'll stick with this setup for now though, perhaps i'll get some rox risers in the future, if I feel an inch isn't enough.

Next on the list, is a carb re-build, since it's looking a bit leaky, along with a re-jetting and the 3x3 mod!! Might as well give it some more "go" if I'm gonna be in there!

IMG_0487
Old 03-06-2012, 08:07 PM   #102
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Bluhduh There is no such thing as 30% rain!

Had so much fun yesterday, I had to go out a little further today! I explored some of the secondary roads off of Kapoor Mainline, and found some pretty fun trails, many of which still had snow.

Going in, I saw this guy with his DRZ on a rock stand, and figured I should see if he needed any tools or help. I figured he looked pretty independant, (i know how annoying it can be having EVERYBODY stop to ask if you're okay) but i'd feel like a knob if he ended up needed something. He was right in Koksilah park at least, and he only needed a 12mm socket, so he un-did his front wheel, and was good to go.

The 30% chance of rain turned to 100% as it always does on the Island! (sigh, its the life here)

The rider I stopped for had warned me of snow in the hills right where I was headed. I wanted to see the forest near waterloo mountain, and sure enough, this is what I ran into.... It's just not quite spring yet! Hey, at least the gate is open!

Who am I kidding, I'm having fun!

Had one of those, "Hey, is that a ........Oh, its just garbage" moments! Damn, that would've been a nice bush knife if it wasn't plastic!

I've said it before, This may be the most important piece of emergency equipment you can bring! It never hurts to try your fire building skills in the wet. One day, you might really end up needing it. I've been bringing a tarp these days too.

Even with tools, tinder and fire starters, success is not guaranteed! It takes a lot of practice to keep a fire going in the rain forest. Hint: build a base of bigger logs on the bottom to keep the embers from soaking up water. Also, split wood always burns better.

I picked up this little folding speaker from "Capital Iron" a local department/hardware store for $7! It's a great little speaker powered by 2 AAA's or USB. It really puts out a lot for how small it is, and has decent low end, for being
3 1/2 inches square! I love it!

Nice little Crick near my stop. It also spelled the end of the trail! no crossing possibility, the only decent spot had huge logs in the way.....It's a nice spot though, I might have to camp out here sometime, maybe even try some panning!

Man is it getting greasy!!! The roads have gone to shite this winter! Time to go home. It was a fun day out.

Here are the the new bolt-ons! DRC pegs, I forget who made the risers.

I wonder what my co-workers think of me coming in every monday like this? They probably think I'm crazy, I say they're missing out!

Tropic-Of-Canada screwed with this post 02-22-2014 at 08:45 PM
Old 03-15-2012, 08:20 PM   #103
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Ignorance is Bliss

My charging system is all good now, but my carb is looking leaky, I need to check my valves, and I need to disassemble and grease the swingarm and linkage bushings and bearings. So what do I end up doing? Exploring by myself, in the snow, with only 2 hours of daylight.....Maybe I have a wire loose..... the signal keeps on blinking on me....Damn wet!!!!

Winter is getting a bit pressing lately. I can't really go many places till this stuff melts off some more. I can go to the usual close-to-town winter riding locations, but anything above 500 meters is out...... So apologies if this report is getting a bit menotonous, It's just the cabin fever is in full force, and I'm feeling really cooped up....Getting real sick of pouring rain and snow!

I JUST WANT TO GO FISHING!!!!!
Old 03-24-2012, 10:16 AM   #104
muskeg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Hey T-O-C, I'm enjoying the report! Vancouver Island is one of my favorite places to explore too, especially the north end. Had some great times along the coast between Maggie Lake and Bamfield and can't wait to get back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic-Of-Canada View Post
Winter is getting a bit pressing lately. I can't really go many places till this stuff melts off some more. I can go to the usual close-to-town winter riding locations, but anything above 500 meters is out...... So apologies if this report is getting a bit menotonous, It's just the cabin fever is in full force, and I'm feeling really cooped up....Getting real sick of pouring rain and snow!
+1 Snowed here again yesterday.

Anyway, looking forward to updates when things start to thaw out...

muskeg
muskeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:17 AM   #105
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

The day after the snowy/rainy sho, the sun came out for a bit, so I decided to explore the sooke hills a bit.

IMG_0605

Is this the work of a cat?

IMG_0611

IMG_0608

And out of nowhere, it starts snowing!

IMG_0614

But the sun tries to poke through and I'm having lots of fun discovering the back road connections.

IMG_0617

And then another wall of snow heads my way

IMG_0618

There's been a lot of logging up this way lately.

IMG_0619

IMG_0622

And the roads are fresh! This torrent set up seconds after slugging through it. The ground is saturated.

IMG_0623

IMG_0628

The most undecided weather ever!

IMG_0631

I come across this creek and try to find a way around. it doesn't look like this continues...

IMG_0634

So many options...

IMG_0635

This way?

IMG_0637

Guess not

IMG_0640

There were some locals who 4x4'd here having a fire and beers on the river island ahead. The crossing after this one was a fair bit deeper, and I debated wether it was worth doing. A guy on a quad came up, and I watched his line. At least there were lots of people to help if things went wrong! I ended up doing it just fine! It was a good soaker though, I don't think I'd want to do it alone.

IMG_0639

This is the deep portion a week later. I think the level went up in this photo. Probably the snow melt.

IMG_0666

Soon after the crossing, I ascended some steep rocky terrain, and found this on the way up! I guess someone forgot to do up their bag!

IMG_0641

I had about enough of this and turned around.

IMG_0643

And my sharp eye saw this off the side of the bumpy trail! It was a yard sale today!

Yard Sale

After 50 km of dirt, I headed for pavement, with the daylight burning, and storm clouds coming.

IMG_0653

IMG_0659

The colours of the west.

IMG_0661

IMG_0660