Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2011, 06:56 PM   #136
error cooled
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
I expect thats why you (and the rest of us in the USA, thanks) won't get the opportunity to buy one.
If the TE630 is selling for $6K I don't think $7K is outside the realm of possibility. Every article about this bike mentions that KTM is trying to produce a less expensive, more mass attainable bike.
error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:17 PM   #137
Aghartha
Awesome

Oddometer: 340
I'm pretty stoked on this bike, and if it's not $9000 (and shows up stateside) I hope to be able to pick one up. I'm a lightweight dude, so a lightweight street legal bike like this is right up my alley.
Aghartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:41 PM   #138
hontri
Global Bummer!

Oddometer: 293
If this has already been posted i apologize. Sure looks like a blast!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2eUu...eature=related
hontri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:43 PM   #139
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
That's exactly what I been told at EICMA.
5.5 liter of regular petrol weight 8.9 pounds or 4.0 kg
And that would exactly match my weight experience with my previous KTMs. Specified weight + fuel weight = real weight, which is very reasonable. They would not do themselves a favour at all in case those 99.5kg would be a fake spec.
flatboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:28 AM   #140
kyns
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by hontri View Post
If this has already been posted i apologize. Sure looks like a blast!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2eUu...eature=related
Yeah, looks like a blast.

I just don't get this bike at all...
Engine specs seem exactly same as 350 exc. Maybe it has milder cams and/or lower rpm limit. But no way is it WRR reliable. Exc 350 weighs 108,5 kg, Freeride 350, 99,5 kg, the rear frame is surely not strong enough for "dualsport"... Everything on the video can be done on an exc 350, it has bigger tank too.

Only if it's made in India, costs half of an exc, has more oil in it, i get it.

Suspension and wheels look budget, maybe it will be cheap, like the 125 Duke, which has very competitive price against it's rivals.
kyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:35 AM   #141
ADVJake
***** dweller

Oddometer: 4,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyns View Post
But no way is it WRR reliable.
Why?
It has the similar power output and more capacity. Going by on paper specs, i would have no doubt it would surpass a WRR's longevity.
Thats the point too, its a lazy donk rather than a racey explosive bike like the 350exc.
And whats very unusual from other motorcycles that have lazy donks, is the weight. Its lighter than the race equivalent.
This is a very special motorcycle indeed...
Old 11-17-2011, 02:44 AM   #142
kyns
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVJake View Post
Why?

Because it seems to have a 350 RACING engine stuffed in it.

Engine looks the same as 350 EXC, has same bore and stroke, most likely same oil capacity...
Old 11-17-2011, 02:45 AM   #143
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,144
the very main point of that bike for me personally is and was fact, that engine is VERY de-tuned.
This automatically raises bar for wear and reliability, leave aside all torque talks.
The engine is less stressed, so much less stressed I can see it being much more reliable than WR and easier on service. But only time will tell.
Yeah, and one more thing. Leave aside 350EXC - when I tested WR (admittedly - on streets) I had to find tall kerb to get onto bike and use same kerb when I stopped. Because my feet were 10 cm from ground at least.
So - this new KTM is answer for shortypants like me.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:51 AM   #144
ADVJake
***** dweller

Oddometer: 4,338
Quote:

Engine looks the same as 350 EXC, has same bore and stroke, most likely same oil capacity...
In that same sense, the R1 motor is also a racing engine in the GP. The WR250R takes 1 lug off it, and detuned.

The 350 freeride motor may have racing heritage, but any race motor that has power output reduced for longevity will last a long time.

The KTM LC8 motor was raced in the dakar, but is proven to last well over 200,000kms because they have detuned it below 100HP (while even the TL1000R suzuki twin makes 110+HP)
Old 11-17-2011, 02:57 AM   #145
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Not true, in particular.
The engine looks like the EXC engine, but was modified internally.
For instance they inserted steel valves instead of titanium for better durability.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:02 AM   #146
kyns
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVJake View Post
In that same sense, the R1 motor is also a racing engine in the GP. The WR250R takes 1 lug off it, and detuned.

The 350 freeride motor may have racing heritage, but any race motor that has power output reduced for longevity will last a long time.

The KTM LC8 motor was raced in the dakar, but is proven to last well over 200,000kms because they have detuned it below 100HP (while even the TL1000R suzuki twin makes 110+HP)

I had a WRR. R1 is a street bike.

I'm curious how they have made the 350 more reliable. If it's reliable and cheap, i get it.
They could have just made the 350 EXC more reliable/low maintenance, it has better suspension, bigger tank and really doesn't weigh that much more.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:54 AM   #147
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,553
For me, a motorcycle like the Freeride has a very different role from an EXC350. An EXC350 is a very fast offroad race bike that will get you through pretty much any trail. But it is going to work you hard on really rough, low speed terrain. All fast bikes make you work when you are picking your way through snot.

The Freeride seems to me more like a hybrid trials/enduro bike that you would ride to make that same terrain a lot easier and, to me, a lot more fun to ride. Those are two entirely different missions. What you call better suspension on an EXC wouldn't be appropriate for how I would use the bike because I want soft suspension

Neither would the huge amount of power an EXC350 puts down. An engine tuned to pull from down low without a "hit" anywhere in the rpm range is perfect. I wanted an offroad bike in the stable that is small, very light weight, softly sprung and has good pulling power from zero rpm's to ride rock gardens and miserable trails.

Too bad I started rolling my own before I knew about this. But at least I will have $5000 more in my checking account when I get finished.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:02 AM   #148
novaboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
+1, you hit the nail on the head with regards to the Freeride. Its not meant for dualsporting, or for racing, it's a fun lightweight trial/trail/woods bike. Unfortunately, the KTM websites in Canada and the US don't show the Freeride, only the European ones. Hopefully it will show up in North America because this for me is the perfect dirtbike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
For me, a motorcycle like the Freeride has a very different role from an EXC350. An EXC350 is a very fast offroad race bike that will get you through pretty much any trail. But it is going to work you hard on really rough, low speed terrain. All fast bikes make you work when you are picking your way through snot.

The Freeride seems to me more like a hybrid trials/enduro bike that you would ride to make that same terrain a lot easier and, to me, a lot more fun to ride. Those are two entirely different missions. What you call better suspension on an EXC wouldn't be appropriate for how I would use the bike because I want soft suspension

Neither would the huge amount of power an EXC350 puts down. An engine tuned to pull from down low without a "hit" anywhere in the rpm range is perfect. I wanted an offroad bike in the stable that is small, very light weight, softly sprung and has good pulling power from zero rpm's to ride rock gardens and miserable trails.

Too bad I started rolling my own before I knew about this. But at least I will have $5000 more in my checking account when I get finished.
https://www.youtube.com/user/fundypaddlesurf/videos
novaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:45 AM   #149
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaboy View Post
+1, you hit the nail on the head with regards to the Freeride. Its not meant for dualsporting, or for racing, it's a fun lightweight trial/trail/woods bike. Unfortunately, the KTM websites in Canada and the US don't show the Freeride, only the European ones. Hopefully it will show up in North America because this for me is the perfect dirtbike.
I had been riding a Yamaha Tricker for 3 years, starting with 2006.
The Tricker had 120kg and an engine well suited for difficult climbing or riding slow and difficult passages. The Tricker engine had 19HP (EU). It would not give a lot of speed or perform at steep and long uphills, but it was extremely easy to ride for those slow and funny sections.

The KTM Freeride would be my idea of a bike doing all things the Tricker could do. And I used it for everything including vacation rides in or through Italy (click weblink above).
But the Freeride could do it much better.

The Tricker for instance had 6l of fuel, but its engine consumed more then 4l/100km, which was way too much for it. I would expect fuel consumption considerable lower than 4l/100km with the Freeride, therefore everything would be possible that was possible with the Tricker despite its small fuel tank.

The Tricker had a cheap Teikei carburator that was kind of cumbersome, also suspension was weak, und those small wheels introduced a bad restriction of available tires. This was the reason I sold it, but I definitely wanted to replace it with something better.

I do like the WR250R I got me as a Tricker replacement in 2009, but in fact it is no replacement, since it is totally different. The Tricker was a true playbike compared to the WR.
And I want that back
Old 11-17-2011, 08:14 AM   #150
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,532
Quote:
Yeah, looks like a blast.

Only if it's made in India, costs half of an exc, has more oil in it, i get it.

Suspension and wheels look budget, maybe it will be cheap, like the 125 Duke, which has very competitive price against it's rivals.

From everything I've been reading I would bet a large chunk of money it is the fruit of the new Indian connection for KTM and may be assembled in Austria, but most certainly the parts are sourced from India. But, I'd also be willing to bet a smaller amount of scratch it is completely Indian.