Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2012, 07:03 PM   #211
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by LILBIT View Post
At your size the Berg. is like the Freeride to us puny folks.
Even with drop pegs, tall seat and bar risers, it's a little bike. I would love to ride the new bike though.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:53 PM   #212
Mackan
Player 1

Oddometer: 9
This is exactly what i want!

Yes, there are older bikes covering the same concept. Yes, there are light and able enduros that most likely can do the same thing. Faster too... But that is not what this bike is about. This is a bike to get you "out there". With less effort than it's more muscular siblings. Not lugging around tents and what not. And most importantly: I know i'd rather be riding than doing maintenance. With a 4-stroke EXC the service intervals are 5h oil and filters, 15h valve check. How ever simple it may be to perform those tasks, it scares people off. I know I prefer 10.000km (or whatever it may be) over 5h, and I think THAT is one of it's major selling points. If it'll cost me a few horsies, so be it. I probably couldn't handle them all anyway

...plus, I work at a KTM dealer, so I might not buy one after all. I'll just use our demo. For free
Mackan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:02 PM   #213
MexMex
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackan View Post
...plus, I work at a KTM dealer, so I might not buy one after all. I'll just use our demo. For free
Then it will be the real FREE-RIDE!
MexMex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:52 AM   #214
bayvu
Old Fart

Oddometer: 7
Talking

This sure looks to be the perfect bike. Something to replace my 1982 XR200RD. Same weight, more power, FI, good lighting and electric leg.

Just add a Moto-Mule for camping gear and all set to see the world.

Take pity on us down here, likely price will be $12,000, the Yamaha WR250R is $10,000!
bayvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:57 PM   #215
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayvu View Post
This sure looks to be the perfect bike. Something to replace my 1982 XR200RD. Same weight, more power, FI, good lighting and electric leg.

Just add a Moto-Mule for camping gear and all set to see the world.

Take pity on us down here, likely price will be $12,000, the Yamaha WR250R is $10,000!
Holy crap! I could probably get onto a Tiger 800XC for $10K USD if I shopped around enough.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:24 PM   #216
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,357
Bet that would be awesome on tight technical trails...
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:53 AM   #217
990s
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
The English paper MCN has a brief review of this bike in their 1 februar issue. They says its like a breath of fresh air(if nothing new concept) , something both for the beginner and also for the more advanced rider. The exhaust noise is very low, the impact made on the soil from the trail tyres is also low, making it a "green" machine. Its having very good steering lock. and they did 70 mpg, driving up and down mountains. Reported range is about 85 miles.
990s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:54 PM   #218
windquest
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by 990s View Post
The English paper MCN has a brief review of this bike in their 1 februar issue. They says its like a breath of fresh air(if nothing new concept) , something both for the beginner and also for the more advanced rider. The exhaust noise is very low, the impact made on the soil from the trail tyres is also low, making it a "green" machine. Its having very good steering lock. and they did 70 mpg, driving up and down mountains. Reported range is about 85 miles.
70mpg would be epic! Looking forward to reading the article...
Old 02-13-2012, 04:24 PM   #219
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,487
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...50-first-ride/

It's all about the links man!
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:24 AM   #220
windquest
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Freeride E

Here's a good link about the Freeride E. Has a lot of details in it from cycle news.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:08 AM   #221
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by windquest View Post
70mpg would be epic! Looking forward to reading the article...
Imperial gallons though. 1.2 US gallons, or = to 4.55 liters (not 3.78).

70 MP(IMP)G = 58 MP(US)G

Still good.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:45 PM   #222
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Imperial gallons though. 1.2 US gallons, or = to 4.55 liters (not 3.78).

70 MP(IMP)G = 58 MP(US)G

Still good.
So that would be a theoretical range of 76-77 American miles if you can use the whole tank, which is usually not possible with EFI. Hopefully they've done a good job of engineering the tank and fuel pump to enable running on a low fuel tank.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:43 PM   #223
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by windquest View Post
Here's a good link about the Freeride E. Has a lot of details in it from cycle news.

Uugghh!! Read the article and realized why I'm so pissed at KTM and why they make such crap products!

Quote:
"We considered using these so-called coffee pack cells, but we had to think about how we can pack them, and get a really good quality product at the end of the day, especially when they're heating up and getting warm under load," says Ploeckinger [chief operating officer KTM]. "But we decided maybe it's too early, so let's use standard cells - but develop our own battery management system as part of the battery package. The controller controls the engine, and communicates to the battery, but to manage the cells you need to have this BMS - especially in terms of balancing the charge. So we did this."
Japan's Panasonic supplies the cells to KTM's battery suppliers in Poland, WAN Technik, and their specification guarantees a minimum lifetime of 1000 cycles, so KTM expects to easily achieve the specified 500 cycles likely to represent the expected lifetime of such an off-road motorcycle. With the battery pack weighing 55 pounds the sturdy handle needed to lift it out for recharging - and the engine 22 pounds, the resultant power-and-fuel package is nearly identical in weight to that of a 125cc two-stroke motor and a full tank of fuel (not forgetting the actual tank itself) combined.
18650's will not get close to 1000 or 500 FULL cycles... they noticeably deteriorate after 50 with less capacity.

Remember the old saying shoot for the stars and hit the top of the flagpole; shoot for the top of the flagpole and only get a foot off the ground. These are piss poor low standards to be shooting for reliability and longevity wise.

Of course KTM makes products with great suspension, and great power to weight ratio's and fun to ride (while they are running) compared to products 2 decades ago but the products of 2-3 decades ago lasted better! I recently saw a Honda CRM250 with 73k km on the clock and the clock was broken!
The deeper issue is KTM THINKS the batteries will only last 500 cycles so they are probably designing the rest of the bike around that ie not wasting money on good wiring that will last, good bearings that will last, fuel pumps that will last. And the main issue is us! The consumers who don't care/or demand reliability/longevity in the products we buy. We foolishly beg for the price to be lower, get a lower price along with a "fun while it lasts" but piss poor product on the inside. We waste massive $ on repairs, multiple bikes etc for that reason!
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:37 AM   #224
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
Uugghh!!
Oh, fawk directly off with all that shit. Asshole.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:40 AM   #225
randel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
Uugghh!! Read the article and realized why I'm so pissed at KTM and why they make such crap products!

18650's will not get close to 1000 or 500 FULL cycles... they noticeably deteriorate after 50 with less capacity.

Remember the old saying shoot for the stars and hit the top of the flagpole; shoot for the top of the flagpole and only get a foot off the ground. These are piss poor low standards to be shooting for reliability and longevity wise.

Of course KTM makes products with great suspension, and great power to weight ratio's and fun to ride (while they are running) compared to products 2 decades ago but the products of 2-3 decades ago lasted better! I recently saw a Honda CRM250 with 73k km on the clock and the clock was broken!
The deeper issue is KTM THINKS the batteries will only last 500 cycles so they are probably designing the rest of the bike around that ie not wasting money on good wiring that will last, good bearings that will last, fuel pumps that will last. And the main issue is us! The consumers who don't care/or demand reliability/longevity in the products we buy. We foolishly beg for the price to be lower, get a lower price along with a "fun while it lasts" but piss poor product on the inside. We waste massive $ on repairs, multiple bikes etc for that reason!
I don't get that complaining.
500 cycles with 20min driving time in 1 cycle means 165 hours and with 45min a cycle 375 hours. How many engine rebuilds will today's motocross bike need to reach that?
Wiring will be totally different too, no generator, spark plug, fuel pump to run etc. Electrical motor has usually only 2 bearings. And complain about fuel pump quality on electrical bike?
randel is offline   Reply With Quote