Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 02:53 AM   #406
Lars
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz View Post
KTM has a web site that allows you to see country specific models, clothing, etc (KTM.com). About a month or so after KTM announced the Freeride 350 on their web site, they posted up a US web page with the same announcement. There was a download button that lead to the Owner's Manual and two other documents. A month or so later, the link for the US Freeride 350 web page was no longer there. But the page was still there, if you knew its address. I have not seen the link come back, so I don't know where the current US Owner's Manual is located.

Before you ask, the answer is no. I downloaded the Owner's Manual from KTM's web site but I cannot send it to anyone because KTM has the copyright. I actually signed a non-distrbution agreement when I signed up to access KTM's photo library - it covers everything they own.

There is also a Service Manual, available on CD/DVD, and I purchased it from a dealer. I can't send it to anyone either - same reason.

Check with your local KTM dealer and see if they can sell or make available either or both manuals.

That´s the partnumber for the service manual??
Lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:20 AM   #407
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,953
Quote:
That´s the partnumber for the service manual??
I bought the Repair Manual CD for the 350 EXC-F/XCF-W, identified as Art.No.: 3.206.111, 9/2011.

I spoke with several US dealers and none could get a Freeride 350 repair manual. One dealer suggested that the engine repair would be identical between the 350 EXC-F/XCF-W and the Freeride 350 and that is the Repair Manual that I bought.

I also downloaded the 2012 Parts Manual from ktm-parts.com which has this identifying info:

FREERIDE 350 EU 2012

SPARE PARTS MANUAL: CHASSIS
ART.NO.: 3CF8203L4EN

SPARE PARTS MANUAL: ENGINE
ART.NO.: 3CM089370LEN

It looks as though only the Owner's Manual is a US version; other manuals are identified as EU.
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:43 AM   #408
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,515
Quote:
I bought the Repair Manual CD for the 350 EXC-F/XCF-W, identified as Art.No.: 3.206.111, 9/2011.

I spoke with several US dealers and none could get a Freeride 350 repair manual. One dealer suggested that the engine repair would be identical between the 350 EXC-F/XCF-W and the Freeride 350 and that is the Repair Manual that I bought.

I also downloaded the 2012 Parts Manual from ktm-parts.com which has this identifying info:

FREERIDE 350 EU 2012

SPARE PARTS MANUAL: CHASSIS
ART.NO.: 3CF8203L4EN

SPARE PARTS MANUAL: ENGINE
ART.NO.: 3CM089370LEN

It looks as though only the Owner's Manual is a US version; other manuals are identified as EU.
Yeah, the engine definitely seems to be based on the 350 EXC model. I wish they'd go into more detail about the differences that they only make vague references to in their site data. There's a huge difference between 24hp and somewhere around the 45hp that the 350 engine is capable of producing. It would be interesting to know the details of engine component materials, compression, and other such issues that affect power and increase reliability and durability.

On another note, if KTM can produce a street legal 350 EXC, it should be a piece of cake for the Freeride model...at least I would think so.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:05 AM   #409
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Quote:
Yeah, the engine definitely seems to be based on the 350 EXC model. I wish they'd go into more detail about the differences that they only make vague references to in their site data. There's a huge difference between 24hp and somewhere around the 45hp that the 350 engine is capable of producing. It would be interesting to know the details of engine component materials, compression, and other such issues that affect power and increase reliability and durability.
The two engines are virtually identical mechanically. I suspect the differences come down to the fuel injection mapping and ignition timing, along with the intake and exhaust differences. Here are the differences noted by the two Parts Manuals. Only engine and fuel system parts are shown.
http://rickramsey.net/FR350PartsComparo.htm
Old 10-01-2012, 12:12 PM   #410
Parigi
Hoinar

Oddometer: 279
I checked that comparison with great interest, thanks for taking the time to put it together. Now, it gets me thinking if one could go the other way around and flash a Freeride map on and EXC-F
Parigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:00 PM   #411
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parigi View Post
I checked that comparison with great interest, thanks for taking the time to put it together. Now, it gets me thinking if one could go the other way around and flash a Freeride map on and EXC-F
I was thinking about that too, as I was riding my 450XCW yesterday and realized that I've put over 7000 street miles on it. Comparing the reliability and lifespan of bikes like these to something like the old XR's, have to wonder if the KTM's would really be that far behind if we just de-tuned them a little bit. These things should do 20,000 miles without incident. Easily.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #412
error cooled
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,152
Quote:
About a month or so after KTM announced the Freeride 350 on their web site, they posted up a US web page with the same announcement. There was a download button that lead to the Owner's Manual and two other documents. A month or so later, the link for the US Freeride 350 web page.
This is the US link: http://www.ktm.com/us/freeride/freer...l#.UGoc-ELjJUQ

The manuals are still there -- but they explicitly state they are for the EU and Australia. The manual has the same picture you posted as well.

Did the version you pulled down have US written on it? That would be great news if it did...

error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #413
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Here's my cover page, 2012 manual 3211720en:

Old 10-01-2012, 04:08 PM   #414
error cooled
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,152
Quote:
Here's my cover page, 2012 manual 3211720en:

hmmmm
error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:41 PM   #415
milzispete
Conquistador

Oddometer: 247
Repair manual part No

My local dealer told me the same thing about the repair manual. It's not out yet and he doesn't know when it will be available. Does anyone know when the repair manuals are normally available after the release of a new model. It's seems a little strange releasing a bike that not even the dealers have the info on.

milzispete screwed with this post 10-26-2012 at 09:50 PM
milzispete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:26 AM   #416
milzispete
Conquistador

Mods so far

Has anybody made any mods so far that are worth repeating?

I originally bought the bike for my wife to learn on but to be honest the seat height is higher than I was expecting and It's pretty easy to stall.

So far I've ordered but not fitted the following (still in the post)
KTM lowering kit (reduces height by 1")
KTM replacement seat (another inch)
Rekluse EXP auto clutch - should help with the stalls

I've also been looking at reducing the wheel size and it looks like the 85sx 19/16 wheels are a straight fit.
This would bring the seat height down to less than a CRF150RB. It's also 10lb lighter and with a much broader spread of power. I haven't used a Rekluse clutch yet but from what I've read on the forums they are awesome.

Anybody got any other useful suggestions to make life easier?
Old 10-29-2012, 09:17 AM   #417
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,048
so.... how tall is your wife?
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:37 AM   #418
milzispete
Conquistador

She like a normal person only smaller. i could trade her in for a bigger model but I really wasn't planning on spending that much
Old 10-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #419
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by milzispete View Post
Has anybody made any mods so far that are worth repeating?

I originally bought the bike for my wife to learn on but to be honest the seat height is higher than I was expecting and It's pretty easy to stall.

So far I've ordered but not fitted the following (still in the post)
KTM lowering kit (reduces height by 1")
KTM replacement seat (another inch)
Rekluse EXP auto clutch - should help with the stalls

I've also been looking at reducing the wheel size and it looks like the 85sx 19/16 wheels are a straight fit.
This would bring the seat height down to less than a CRF150RB. It's also 10lb lighter and with a much broader spread of power. I haven't used a Rekluse clutch yet but from what I've read on the forums they are awesome.

Anybody got any other useful suggestions to make life easier?
Have you checked to see if a heavier flywheel weight is available?
Old 10-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #420
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Quote:
Have you checked to see if a heavier flywheel weight is available?
This might work:

http://www.steahlyoffroad.com/ktm-35...el-weight.html

Give them a call...

Oops, just saw this: not XCFW,EXC