User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2013, 03:24 AM   #616
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,100
Touluca would be a fun place to ride!

Of course I'm a rider and as riders we love the ride but there are times when I'm considering this bike I'm wondering if it's the best "destination" bike as in the most likeliest to be able to get from point A to point B?

There's an amazingly beautiful camping/fishing/hunting spot only 20 miles NE of Kuala Lumpur by the way the crow flies (35 on the trail) BUT few guys can get there on their own with a 125cc MX bike. It's insanely thick jungle. The locals tend to go there in groups no less than 30 and spend 2 days doing the 35 miles though can make it back in one. With 30 guys they can easily carry/lift bikes over obstacles and are constantly hacking stuff with machetes (one guy will often have a chainsaw) and building bamboo bridges over gorges etc. In a few weeks the jungle reclaims everything that was hacked and bamboo bridges rot, so that makes the return trip much quicker but a trip in 2 weeks is like you are starting over again.
However the destination is worth it... insanely beautiful! I can make it out in a few hours IF there is no rain BUT if it rains while I'm out there alone I'm kind of screwed! I carry a "micro winch", machete/saw, micro shovel on my 130 kg KLX....

I haven't ridden the Freeride but the question I wonder when I see them is would that be the one of the best bikes for getting from point A to point B? I fantasize about this bike with:

- Christini 2WD
- Rekluse
- Custom electric start that can be used to rock the bike forward OR reverse when stuck
- Ability to use left or right grips as throttles (for hacking with a machete while riding )
- A kickstand that extends/contracts and has a pivoting base for those tight turn arounds
- Having a winch built into the starter with micro kevlar rope that can run out the front/back or side and finally...
- A quickly detachable radiator fan that can from my hammock when I arrive!
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:55 AM   #617
milzispete
Conquistador

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
Touluca would be a fun place to ride!

Of course I'm a rider and as riders we love the ride but there are times when I'm considering this bike I'm wondering if it's the best "destination" bike as in the most likeliest to be able to get from point A to point B?

There's an amazingly beautiful camping/fishing/hunting spot only 20 miles NE of Kuala Lumpur by the way the crow flies (35 on the trail) BUT few guys can get there on their own with a 125cc MX bike. It's insanely thick jungle. The locals tend to go there in groups no less than 30 and spend 2 days doing the 35 miles though can make it back in one. With 30 guys they can easily carry/lift bikes over obstacles and are constantly hacking stuff with machetes (one guy will often have a chainsaw) and building bamboo bridges over gorges etc. In a few weeks the jungle reclaims everything that was hacked and bamboo bridges rot, so that makes the return trip much quicker but a trip in 2 weeks is like you are starting over again.
However the destination is worth it... insanely beautiful! I can make it out in a few hours IF there is no rain BUT if it rains while I'm out there alone I'm kind of screwed! I carry a "micro winch", machete/saw, micro shovel on my 130 kg KLX....

I haven't ridden the Freeride but the question I wonder when I see them is would that be the one of the best bikes for getting from point A to point B? I fantasize about this bike with:

- Christini 2WD
- Rekluse
- Custom electric start that can be used to rock the bike forward OR reverse when stuck
- Ability to use left or right grips as throttles (for hacking with a machete while riding )
- A kickstand that extends/contracts and has a pivoting base for those tight turn arounds
- Having a winch built into the starter with micro kevlar rope that can run out the front/back or side and finally...
- A quickly detachable radiator fan that can from my hammock when I arrive!
It sounds like a helicopter or a combine harvester is what you need rather than a Freeride
They are good but they ain't that good
Old 06-04-2013, 07:53 PM   #618
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

Oddometer: 1,152
If they aren't going to be available here.....how difficult would it be to purchase one in UK and have it shipped? Are they available in Canada?
04 KTM 950ADV ~ "BEASTIE", '13 KTM 300XCW, '08 KTM 450XCR-W (selling), Husky 360WR/CR, Bultaco Frontera 250
vabuckaroo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:03 PM   #619
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,341
Expensive more than difficult. Buying and shipping one over here would be relatively easy, and if you search you'll find a lot of helpful information as to the expenses associated with shipping bikes around the world.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:08 AM   #620
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,228
Would getting it plated not be the biggest challenge?
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:07 AM   #621
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,282
This question has been asked many, many times here and on other forums. Once again, it is no longer possible to license ANY motor vehicle in the United States without EPA certification. You might be able to get it through Customs, but you won't be able to register it and license it for street use in any State. The rules tightened up over 10 years ago. Some try to bring a vehile into the country in pieces and license them as "one-off", "home-built", but noone has actually proven this successful either. "Off-road only" is a different story. Most imported race cars and motorcycles, for "track use only" are imported under this status. But you still can't (legally) get a street license.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:22 AM   #622
MexMex
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
This question has been asked many, many times here and on other forums. Once again, it is no longer possible to license ANY motor vehicle in the United States without EPA certification. You might be able to get it through Customs, but you won't be able to register it and license it for street use in any State. The rules tightened up over 10 years ago. Some try to bring a vehile into the country in pieces and license them as "one-off", "home-built", but noone has actually proven this successful either. "Off-road only" is a different story. Most imported race cars and motorcycles, for "track use only" are imported under this status. But you still can't (legally) get a street license.
What happened if you bring into the states a vehicle that is already licensed in other country? like Mexico for example?
MexMex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #623
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Sorry, no good. If the vehicle does not have USEPA approval (for emissions and safety compliance - lights, [bumpers, ABS and air bags for cars], etc.) you can't get it licensed. Even Ford & GM cars made in Canada have to undergo inspection before they can cross the border - and their speedometers must be changed from kph to mph - before they can be licensed in the USA.

Foreign tourists, with the right VISA, can bring a vehicle in for the duration of their stay under certain circumstances. But the vehicle MUST leave the country when the the owners leave.

In the past, US service men and women could bring a vehicle back after living abroad for a certain period of time. But that rule has been changed, too. Only vehicles made for the US import market can be brought in, and they must be inspected / certified for USEPA compliance.

The fly/drive vacation purchase of European cars, where you drive Europe and then ship the car home, has been updated. Only cars built for US import qualify.

The rules are very strict. You might be able to get it here, but getting it licensed requires breaking the law.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
Old 06-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #624
MexMex
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Sorry, no good. If the vehicle does not have USEPA approval (for emissions and safety compliance - lights, [bumpers, ABS and air bags for cars], etc.) you can't get it licensed. Even Ford & GM cars made in Canada have to undergo inspection before they can cross the border - and their speedometers must be changed from kph to mph - before they can be licensed in the USA.

Foreign tourists, with the right VISA, can bring a vehicle in for the duration of their stay under certain circumstances. But the vehicle MUST leave the country when the the owners leave.

In the past, US service men and women could bring a vehicle back after living abroad for a certain period of time. But that rule has been changed, too. Only vehicles made for the US import market can be brought in, and they must be inspected / certified for USEPA compliance.

The fly/drive vacation purchase of European cars, where you drive Europe and then ship the car home, has been updated. Only cars built for US import qualify.

The rules are very strict. You might be able to get it here, but getting it licensed requires breaking the law.
Wow...this is HARSH!
MexMex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:05 AM   #625
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by MexMex View Post
Wow...this is HARSH!
It's also largely inaccurate, the poster is confusing import regulations, which are federal, with licensing regulations, which are state laws, among other things. There can be, and probably are, 50 different sets of applicable licensing laws in this country, depending on which state you're in.
Suffice it to say that importing your own Freeride would be expensive and time consuming.

lamotovita screwed with this post 06-05-2013 at 04:43 PM
lamotovita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:37 PM   #626
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,100
I would bet (no experience going TO America) you could get the plates, tabs in the country you bought it in and then just keep it that way.

"Give" it to a British friend and if stopped for driving a out of country vehicle with a local liscence just say it belongs to said British friend and you were taking it out for a ride for him.

I got pulled over in California on my KTM 690 about 6 months back. I had a Colorado divers liscence, Texas plates and insurance from Washington state. It's happens alot... me getting pulled over when I come back to the US from a riding in a country with virtually no traffic laws! That combo of paperwork mess usually gets cops real excited, they reach for their guns and act like the just found Osama and are gonna call Obama. But it usually ends with them being friendly, giving their number in case I need anything or get hasseled in the future.

You could easily come here to Malaysia, buy a freeride, ship it from our massive shipping centers and in a few hours get yourself a Malaysian Drivers licence from the JPJ. Then when you got pulled over you could give them the Malaysian licsence along with an IDP.

I am curious though, from a business standpoint, what would be the reason(s) for NOT bringing a bike like the freeride that they've already designed and built to a country they are so popular in and have a massive dealer network set up already?
The only thing I can think of is they have a limited number of them and they make more money selling them in other countries?

rickypanecatyl screwed with this post 06-05-2013 at 01:43 PM
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #627
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
It's also largely inaccurate, the poster is confusing import regulations with licensing regulations, among other things.
Suffice it to say that importing your own Freeride would be expensive and time consuming.
Acutally, I'm not. I'm trying to condense many pages into a concise summary. If it is misleading as a result, I apologize.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #628
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
I am curious though, from a business standpoint, what would be the reason(s) for NOT bringing a bike like the freeride that they've already designed and built to a country they are so popular in and have a massive dealer network set up already?
The only thing I can think of is they have a limited number of them and they make more money selling them in other countries?
First, there is the cost of EPA certification. If it is similar enought to the 350EXC/XC, it may not cost that much.

Second, KTM is already selling every one that they can make in other markets. They are a small company, and at capacity (except in India). They know that most Americans (not those of us on this thread) think that bigger is better. Just look at the first few pages of this thread where folks want to go back to 350XC horsepower on the Freeride. And the 350EXC/XC are being outsold 3 to 1 by the 500EXC/XC. As a business proposition, KTM is deciding to make more 500s for the US market.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #629
motocityktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
First, there is the cost of EPA certification. If it is similar enought to the 350EXC/XC, it may not cost that much.

Second, KTM is already selling every one that they can make in other markets. They are a small company, and at capacity (except in India). They know that most Americans (not those of us on this thread) think that bigger is better. Just look at the first few pages of this thread where folks want to go back to 350XC horsepower on the Freeride. And the 350EXC/XC are being outsold 3 to 1 by the 500EXC/XC. As a business proposition, KTM is deciding to make more 500s for the US market.
You hit the nail on the head! Here is the question that sums it up...why is the KTM 300 2 stroke the best seller? Answer...because they don't make a 400 2 stroke! It seems every year, at least in our market in AZ, we order less and less of the small stuff and more and more of the big stuff, 500 EXC's way outsell 350 EXC, everything outsells the 200's and 250's in all of the segments...300's XC and XC-W....450 SX-F, 500 XC-W / EXC....everything else is filler. We get asked the question about the Freeride often but realistically the price would have to be such on that unit to make it attractive to buyers and still attractive to KTM and their dealers that it would be prohibitive in the US market.
motocityktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:46 PM   #630
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,401
Quote:
Acutally, I'm not. I'm trying to condense many pages into a concise summary. If it is misleading as a result, I apologize.
I edited my post for clarity, not to be argumentative.

It's also largely inaccurate, the poster is confusing import regulations, which are federal, with licensing regulations, which are state laws, among other things. There can be, and probably are, 50 different sets of applicable licensing laws in this country, depending on which state you're in.