Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2011, 12:14 AM   #106
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,144
I want one so last Saturday I was on EICMA and looked it over.

Excellent. Just what I need. I loved all about it - featherlight clutch, position, weight (I lifting rear part with 1 hand on rear wheel), looks, specs - just what I dreamed about. I do prefer long-serving 350 cc 24 bhp as I am offroad novice.

But price! 7200 Euros, this is when new 692 cc 70 bhp Duke 690 costs 7500!!!

No, I can't say I pleased with that. I had to cancel my plans to buy one.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:45 AM   #107
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
You are right, that is kind of strange (although the _new_ 2012 Duke is really ugly. They should have kept it in 2011 shape).
The Freeride BTW is EUR 6995.- officially in Germany. However, we will not pay the official price at the dealer, hopefully. Also, nearly every small enduro style motorcycle was a low seller at least here. Which brought prices down in the end. When looking for a WR250R for instance you could have started at approx 4000 Eur for nearly new vehicles with a little luck. We need to wait how the KTM will sell. Well, I do not think prices will drop a lot, since KTM calculates realistically, I guess.

Thanks for you statements on this motorcycle. Could you catch any details on maintenance intervals and cost? Does this comply with dualsport requirements or will it need tight service intervals as like enduro competition bikes?

Phil

flatboarder screwed with this post 11-15-2011 at 01:19 AM Reason: typo
flatboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:03 AM   #108
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,946
Quote:
No, I can't say I pleased with that. I had to cancel my plans to buy one.
Buy one and ship it to me; let me know your PayPal address
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:36 AM   #109
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatboarder View Post
You are right, that is kind of strange (although the _new_ 2012 Duke is really ugly. They should have kept it in 2011 shape).
The Freeride BTW is EUR 6995.- officially in Germany. However, we will not pay the official price at the dealer, hopefully. Also, nearly every small enduro style motorcycle was a low seller at least here. Which brought prices down in the end. When looking for a WR250R for instance you could have started at approx 4000 Eur for nearly new vehicles with a little luck. We need to wait how the KTM will sell. Well, I do not think prices will drop a lot, since KTM calculates realistically, I guess.

Thanks for you statements on this motorcycle. Could you catch any details on maintenance intervals and cost? Does this comply with dualsport requirements or will it need tight service intervals as like enduro competition bikes?

Phil
Can't say about Duke style, but it is surprisingly comfy and well equipped for 7500 euro new bike with 70 bhp thumper. I test rode older Duke R (also 70 bhp) and it was incredible hooligan bike .
On Freeride - I hope it will go like that....
I asked lots of questions about Freeride but guys on stand were not that good in answering them. I did not get straight answer about service intervals and did not get answer about homologation for road (in case I want to ride it to fields next door). They said "service intervals are much longer than for similar, like 250-300-350 ex series" but that's all. They also stated it costs 7200 but I keep hearing it is 6995 in Germany, so I guess that was Italian price.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:51 AM   #110
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
I asked lots of questions about Freeride but guys on stand were not that good in answering them. I did not get straight answer about service intervals and did not get answer about homologation for road (in case I want to ride it to fields next door). They said "service intervals are much longer than for similar, like 250-300-350 ex series" but that's all. They also stated it costs 7200 but I keep hearing it is 6995 in Germany, so I guess that was Italian price.
Funny, since the KTM guys I met at local fairs were really cooperative and competent. They would have told you every bit of information. Anyway, what you said basically meets my expectations. On the other hand from what I read I can tell the Freeride will be plated as is, so no worry at all about road usage! Go whereever you like. This is the trick, and in combination with long service intervals (unlike competition bikes) this makes it a very special dualsport, a real funbike without any bad restriction in usage. Also I like the fact they put trial tires on it. This will keep impact lower for offroad riding, AFAIK, and will work fairly well onroad. For me, this bike is a 100% hit to what I want. Otherwise I would not spend one single thought on selling my very good WR250R or my Tenere, both of which were perfectly fitted to my individual likes in an expensive way. I did not expect a bike like the Freeride 350 to appear. Otherwise I would not have spent money on converting the Yamahas. But that's how it goes when putting lots of money into motorbikes.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:55 AM   #111
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

That's the difference :) why I prefer Intermot.
If you want information and good look at bikes and parts - go to Intermot. If you want loads of Italian bikes and good looking girls, auctions for RedBull helmets right on exhibition, huge noise, huge freestyle and cross show, testdrives etc. - go to EICMA.
For example possibility to test drive ABS Multistrada 1200 - I did not expect that. But I did not need that too :)

In fact I only went there to see Freeride for myself and new Triumphs and Husky just for knowledge of it.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:20 AM   #112
Maurizio
2 smoker

Oddometer: 162

sold: '03 950 adv s, '05 450 exc, '08 690 e
Maurizio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:45 AM   #113
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,340
Quote:
However, the Freeride matches _exactly_ what I have been searching for for several years. Neither the Scorpa T-Ride (with its old carburated YZ250 engine) nor my Tricker that I had been riding for three years could come close.
Since you are in Europe and see more of these models than us in the USA could you elaborate on the differences you see between the T-Ride and the Freeride? Obviously we start with EFI and 100cc, but what else?
Does the 5 litre fuel capacity of the Freeride concern you, or is that adequate for the riding you have available?
Old 11-15-2011, 01:24 PM   #114
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
Since you are in Europe and see more of these models than us in the USA could you elaborate on the differences you see between the T-Ride and the Freeride? Obviously we start with EFI and 100cc, but what else?
Does the 5 litre fuel capacity of the Freeride concern you, or is that adequate for the riding you have available?
The fuel issue mainly is a matter of fuel consumption of the engine. I want to check that. According to KTM the engine is low on fuel consumption. Unfortunately no one has got real data on it right now. I would accept carrying a 2l reservoir in my backpack, in case.
I do not want to argue for or against the T-Ride in detail here, since I have no first hand experience with it. I checked some forums, and that is all I know. However, for me a carburator engine is not an option at all, so I do not care anyway. I would prefer my WR250R in that case.

Ossa has got some new models of that sort as well. They are FI 2 strokes.
For your reference, I collect some links from offroadforen.de:
http://www.todotrial.com/ttactual/pr...plorer2012.htm
http://www.hmmoto.it/ita/scheda.asp?idFam=11&idProd=213
http://www.todotrial.com/Fotos/Prueb...ner-2011-3.jpg
Note I have no details about those.

It looks like some European manufacturers are redefining the term funbike, finally. Maybe due to degraded sales. Or maybe they are hoping to activate new types of consumers, since the old are dying out.
For me this is perfect, because after some former years of enduro competition I want to do it the easy way and get as much fun out of it as possible while no longer doing brute force maintenance and riding. However, I am not yet interested in low tech bikes and fishing.

Phil
Old 11-15-2011, 01:39 PM   #115
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,819
Quote:
It looks like some European manufacturers are redefining the term funbike, finally.

Phil

Well I hope it catches on here... With the economy and high priced fuel seems it'd be a win-win... If you could change consumers minds...

Instead of; Dilemma: CRF230SM? Or CRB600rrrrrrrr?
Old 11-15-2011, 04:50 PM   #116
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
For anyone interested here's a link to the ktm 350 freeride face book page i urge anyone interested to visit and tell them what you think ( all but price positive i hope! lol) I also noticed this thing has 2 mufflers so it could be possibly lighter yet! link http://www.facebook.com/pages/KTM-Fr...054918?sk=info
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:31 AM   #117
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,046
So I was giving my wife the sales pitch on the freeride last night. I posted something similar on the 690 thread but here were my thoughts about riding with my wife (I have a '11 690 enduro).

Back in Colorado they have some trails mapped out like ski trails.

Green = Easy
Blue = Intermediate
black = difficult
red = expert
dashed red = extremely hard

What you have to know with that color system is that its designed around a XCW 450 style of enduro bike. Roughly I would say the 690 jumps a category (riding blue on a 690 is like riding a black with the XCW), a GS1200 jumps 2+ (a "blue" trail on the 1200 would be like expert to extremely hard). I rode a full on trials bike (my 1 and only time) out there once and would guess that dropped almost 2 colors. I think I could have held a mocha in one hand on the reds without spilling too much!

My point to my wife was "US" riding a black trail together - me on the 690 and she on the freeride would kind of be like me on a red trail and her on a blue/green trail and we could ride together and have fun. (And of course when we stopped by some fun rocks I could play around with trials riding - while she swapped another fuel pump on the 690 ).
rickypanecatyl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:47 AM   #118
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration View Post
With a stone age Honda XR650L coming in at $6690, the is no way a high tech KTM will be at $7000, IMO. No way!
They don't operate that way.
But... I hope I am wrong.
My dealer told me, it (The 350 freeride) will be around $9000+.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:59 AM   #119
Maurizio
2 smoker

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
I have a '11 690 enduro.
Really?

"Errare humanum est, perseverare autem diabolicum"

sold: '03 950 adv s, '05 450 exc, '08 690 e
Maurizio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:24 AM   #120
error cooled
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,152
I would put a deposit down today for one if it came in around $7K.

Seriously. This fits my riding priorities very well as I stay further off the road.
error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote