User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2015, 02:39 PM   #1
Bevelheadmhr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
A Blast from the Past

As mentioned already in my other thread, I thought this project deserved its own build thread.

My mate Jeff won a bid on a few parts on Ebay a few weeks ago, by one of those flukes, turns out the seller owns the first drag bike Jeff built back in the eighties, the bike that Jeff was slowly acquiring parts to replicate one day.

Its been changed a bit over the years, it now has a 250cc engine, a Wade supercharger, an air shifter, hydraulic clutch and a different tank and seat etc. The home made frame and handmade yokes (the first he ever made) are still the same as is the front end. Well, turns out the chap was happy to sell, so we brought it home along with a pile of spares. Including a half completed engine, which Jeff had started to build when he sold the bike more than twenty five years ago. This spare 350cc engine has a much stronger home made three speed box, built by Jeff using CB750 parts, as running it on Nitro used to break the standard box regularly. Its in poor condition so its being rebuilt with a lot of changes, which I'll no doubt be roped in to help out here and there, be interesting to see how it turns out.
Attached Images

Bevelheadmhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 02:42 PM   #2
Bevelheadmhr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The old supercharged we took off Jeff's drag bike has a date stamp.. it was made 06/01/1943... what's interesting is that its original use wasn't on an engine, but to pressurise the cockpit of an aircraft, it would've been fitted to either a DeHavilland Mosquito or Supermarine Spitfire photo-reconnaisance aircraft.

By the end of the first day the bike was totally dismantled, with plans to make quite a few changes. The rear Astralite wheel was deemed too narrow and was soon sold on Ebay, as was the Supercharger (pity I would've liked to keep it). A wider Astralite was bought but had to go back as its condition wasnt as advertised. In the meantime a scrap Japanese 3 spoke rear wheel would have to do.

The points / coil ignition will be replaced by a Magneto, while the rusty fuel tank will be replaced with an alloy one which will live behind the headstock under the top tubes.

We have a new supercharger to fit, along with this empty case which will be used for setting up, along with a manifold and bigger SU carb. The Pistons in the background are from a Yamaha XJ650 Turbo and will give a cc of just under 350cc and a low CR of 5:1 using a plate beneath the block.
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2015, 02:44 PM   #3
Bevelheadmhr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

This is the bike as it was being dismantled on its first day back in the workshop..
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2015, 12:19 PM   #4
Wildebeest90210
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Right up my street. I hope to put my Metisse up the strip, the Dragstalgia meets in the UK I think are really going to take off. I went to a few of Supertwins meetings in the mid 90's with a mate who had an 8v Nourish Metisse and RWYB at Long Marston. I'd love to build a classic drag bike next unless my Metisse gets stretched
I flick through this too often. Glory days

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Drag-Bike-...item58c2f0635c
Wildebeest90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:10 PM   #5
Bevelheadmhr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildebeest90210 View Post
Right up my street. I hope to put my Metisse up the strip, the Dragstalgia meets in the UK I think are really going to take off. I went to a few of Supertwins meetings in the mid 90's with a mate who had an 8v Nourish Metisse and RWYB at Long Marston. I'd love to build a classic drag bike next unless my Metisse gets stretched
I flick through this too often. Glory days

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Drag-Bike-...item58c2f0635c

I have the same book and also spend far too long looking through it. Oh and I also raced my last Harley Evo in the Supertwins series a few years ago. Definitely going to Santa Pod for the Dragstalgia weekend this summer.

The Wade Marshall blower and rear Astralite got sold on Ebay, as a more efficient Sprintex supercharger is going to be used, while the Astralite was too narrow. A GSXR rear wheel with damaged bearing carriers was modifed with new plates welded to the hub to carry the bearings and disc/sprocket. Then it was given a coat of gold paint and the rims aquick polish.

The sprocket mount is non standard so a blank Renthal was ordered and drilled to fit, along with the obligatory lightening holes.
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2015, 01:14 PM   #6
Bevelheadmhr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Here's the blank sprocket being machined..
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2015, 01:16 PM   #7
Bevelheadmhr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Here you can see the sprocket mount and the way it has to be spaced to clear the tyre, while there is no need for any cush drive. Note how the side plates have been welded onto the original Suzuki hub..
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2015, 01:22 PM   #8
Bevelheadmhr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Last time I went round to Jeff's he'd mentioned that the stretch to the clip ons felt a couple of inches too long, he reckoned the frame had been altered more than he thought. I was sceptical and replied, well maybe your not quite as flexible as you were thirty years ago. But no, Jeff insisted it was the frame not him that had changed. Yesterday I called in while I was passing and was surprised (though not that surprised ) to see the frame was now in three pieces, the headstock/top and down tubes had been cut off, while the back half of the frame had been split into the left and right sections.

The plan it seems is to widen the rear end by and inch to take the wider rear wheel more easily and the front half will be shortened by three inches to make a more comfortable reach to the bars. The front end had already been cut and mocked up onto the engine, and it did look better to me.
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2015, 02:06 AM   #9
Te Hopo
AKA Deanohit

Oddometer: 1,695
I saw this bike in the other thread and was intrigued, I'm so glad you've started this thread
Te Hopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:32 AM   #10
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,689
Old 04-23-2015, 02:16 AM   #11
Bevelheadmhr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Jeff has made new yokes which are the same as were made for the bike originally. The original yokes having been badly modified by the previous owner. The forks look smaller than those on my mountain bike, they're 26mm and are from an early Honda SS50. The steel collars above the lower yoke will be painted red to match the frame.
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2015, 08:56 PM   #12
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,745
Great thread! The moror sure looks like a 305 from the Honda Superhawlk.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:30 AM   #13
Bevelheadmhr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonny View Post
Great thread! The moror sure looks like a 305 from the Honda Superhawlk.
I think they are.. here we got the 250 and 350cc versions. The engine in the bike will be 330cc using the XJ650 turbo pistons. Though the intention of running it in the 250 to 350cc class wont happen now, as recently the powers that be have altered the race class to 250cc to 400cc. Bigger pistons may be on the cards later.

The frame is back together, with some brackets and welding still to be done last time I was at the workshop.
Attached Images