Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2008, 06:22 PM   #1
orsurf76 OP
engine braker

Oddometer: 82
Question Suzuki SP500 ?

Hi,
I just picked up an '82 Suzuki SP500 in pretty decent shape (and at a very good price).
There doesn't seem to be much info floating around about them.
Anyone have any resources for them? Like a wiring diagram?

Thanks.
orsurf76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 06:36 PM   #2
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,938
Nice Find.

I would go online and check out the various factory parts suppliers, who often have an IPC for a particular year or model listed. I used to have a '80 DR400 and for that I bought a Clymer manual. It was good enough of a book to dig deep into the engine and what have you. I hope you enjoy your bike. Jackd
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 06:39 PM   #3
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,938
Ebay

I just went on Ebay and there were 3 pages of '82 SP500 parts - new & used on auction. You shouldn't have any problems. Jackd
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 06:45 PM   #4
Motornoggin
Two-Bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 20,954
Cool!

I just picked up an 81' SP500 yesterday!

Have been cleaning and doing some repair and the like. They seem pretty simple and straightforward to work on.

At this point I'm not sure if I'm going for a resto, or just enough to get it ridable and reliable.

I don't have a wiring diagram, but if I run across something I'll let you know.

Good luck and keep us posted on the work.

My Wyoming has an East infection.

http://motornoggin.smugmug.com
Motornoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:30 PM   #5
WB-PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,733
I saw this bike on Craigslist (the one you purchased) about 5 minutes after it was posted, and was very, very, very tempted but decided I needed to finish my TS185 first. What's wrong with it? Just get it rideable, not a lot of point in restoring a bike like that unless it is already very close to as-new.
WB-PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:10 AM   #6
orsurf76 OP
engine braker

Nothing's too wrong with it--it needs a new battery, and after that I'll assess the electrical system (which has a few deficiencies right now).
It's actually in amazing running order--especially considering the price.
I'm probably going to get some slicks on it and make it my townie for a while. The fact that it's 200 lbs. lighter than my Seca 650 makes it very appealing.
Then I'll look into racks and luggage for a trip.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:52 AM   #7
WB-PDX
Beastly Adventurer

If you already have a SECA, why not keep dual-sport tires on it and at least give it a shot at riding some dirt roads or trails? I absolutely fell in love with DS riding out here. In my opinion, the only thing you are really going to sacrifice is some wet traction on the street and some high-speed cornering, but how often do you really need those two things? That's not a great bike to ride super agressively on the street even if it did have street tires...

What specifically is wrong with the electrics?
Old 12-01-2008, 08:11 AM   #8
zookster
Chupacabra

Oddometer: 640
I think I have a factory manual for the SP500. I won't be needing it. I'll check later on when I get home. You can have it for postage. PM me if interested.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:35 PM   #9
orsurf76 OP
engine braker

WB-PDX: Well, the Seca's on extended loan to me, but will probably be gone by sometime this summer. The SP500 will most likely end up as my only bike soon enough.
I feel like we've got plenty of wet streets out here, so some more traction sounds sweet to me.
As far at the electrics, it's pretty minor and maybe a working battery will take care of some of it. The left directionals don't blink, they just turn on solid (yes, both of them). The high beam's out, so that probably just needs to be replaced. I haven't even tried the horn, so who knows about it.
The bike is really in very good condition over all. I just started riding last summer, so I figure a thumper's a good way to learn my way around a motorcycle.

Zookster: Thanks a lot, I pm'd you.

Motornoggin: cool, keep me up to date on what you're doing with your bike. I'm not looking for a restore either, maybe tweak it out a bit to suit me better. I'll take some "before" pictures here soon.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:47 PM   #10
WB-PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Just do me a favor and keep those Dual Sport tires around... You never know!

Your signals will probably work when you get a battery. If not, a new flasher is very cheap.

If you wind up needing any troubleshooting with electrics, let me know, that's my gig, and I assume you are in Portland.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:59 PM   #11
orsurf76 OP
engine braker

oh, I had no intention of getting rid of the knobbies--I could definitely see using them in the future, but until the weather changes I'll probably just be running around town on it.

I am in Portland and will certainly hit you up if I get stumped by all these dirty wires.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:54 PM   #12
orsurf76 OP
engine braker

So as for the electrics, the lack of hi-beam seems to be in the switch, as it's not the bulb. And the non-blinking left signals is probably the same issue. Now do I want to try and go into that thing . . . ?
Old 12-04-2008, 04:38 PM   #13
Motornoggin
Two-Bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 20,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by orsurf76
So as for the electrics, the lack of hi-beam seems to be in the switch, as it's not the bulb. And the non-blinking left signals is probably the same issue. Now do I want to try and go into that thing . . . ?
The switches aren't all that complicated. Might be dirty contacts, or broken wire.

On a side note, I called the local Suzuki dealer and ordered a few parts. They were all still available from Suzuki!

My Wyoming has an East infection.

http://motornoggin.smugmug.com
Motornoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 04:50 PM   #14
WB-PDX
Beastly Adventurer

My 71 TS still had TONS of parts available cheaply as well...

Anyway, yeah, take them apart, clean them, test them wtih a meter, and put some dielectric on the connections when you are done.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:22 PM   #15
orsurf76 OP
engine braker

OK, here are a couple pix of the bike:

I've got new DS tires on it. Had the rear brake (that went out) fixed and ther front wheel trued.
(It came with a rack, but it's off right now as it has a very complicated and custom mounting system that interferes with removing the seat.)
I changed the oil and took a look at the air filter:

Um, no wonder I don't need to adjust the choke to start the bike.

So there are a couple air filters available on ebay and I think I can just wrap some universal air filter foam around the wire screen underneath the terry cloth towel and duck tape that's there now.
But I'm guessing I'm going to have to make some adjustments to the carb to compensate for . . . well, not breathing through several layers of towel.
I've also had recommendations to lose the airbox all together.
Any Suggestions?
(I'm a noob, if that was obvious by now )

The switch for the lights/signals/horn is pretty screwed--no brights and the horn only works when the lights are off. But another inmate is parting out an SP, so hopefully I can get a good one from him.

And I had to remove the bolts that hold on to muffler (did I mention the rack was very custom?) and when I try to put one of them back in, there's obviously a threading problem. The bolt is fine, so I'm afraid the threading in the subframe needs to be recut. Anyone have a recommendation for that in PDX? (or is any moto shop capable of that?).

Thanks Y'all.