Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2012, 05:01 AM   #136
RDT953
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Might be gout?

http://arthritis.webmd.com/tc/gout-symptoms

I suffered a brief attack like that some years ago after I had been at sea fishing, eating a poor diet and drinking to much and not being able to walk around much on a small boat.
RDT953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:17 AM   #137
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Oddometer: 353
Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDT953 View Post
http://arthritis.webmd.com/tc/gout-symptoms

I suffered a brief attack like that some years ago after I had been at sea fishing, eating a poor diet and drinking to much and not being able to walk around much on a small boat.
Thank you
Yeah that was my guess as well, but I am told my Uric acid is not high enough to be gout.. I don't know..
FLETCH
crestedbutte-rtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #138
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Laugh Waiting for da boat

DAY-90/91
2/2-3/2012

Grabbed a cup of coffee and headed over to the doctor’s office to talk about my results and figure out what to do…. Yup you guessed it the doctor called in sick she was not there, they told me Manana Manana. Oh well nothing I can do, headed up to the hardware store grabbed a cheap tarp and walked back to the hostel. Met up with Clay and started packing up my bike, guess I have to deal with it when I get to Colombia.
We packed up the bikes relatively quickly and headed out of town. We decided to take the most direct route not thinking they would be expensive. We got to the first toll Ninety cents; we rode pretty fast nice roads not a lot to see. We were making solid time came up to the next tool boot, $2.50 each man that’s kind of steep oh well that’s the last one; she told us that for 2.50 we would skip the next one. Fifteen kilometers down the road another one, I showed our receipt she nodded her headed waved us through green light lifted up the gate, Clay went no problem I go to and I get yelled at. I stop she says something I cannot understand and then waves me through (I think) I head on and she starts to yell and hits a siren thingy LOUD NOISES!!! Haha A cop starts to walk toward me I cut over to the side of the road and wait with Clay. The cop talks to us saying we have to pay, “but she waved us through” “No she didn’t”, “you have to pay forty cents”. Another worker walks out wanting us to pay, “Okay, here is forty cents” he just looks at me like I’m crazy he says no $4.50, “each!” “No no” I pay $4.50 the guy collecting looks at me shakes his head says something to the cop, “Ten more cents”. They walk away, crap that just cost us almost 6 bucks each to ride 50km, weak sauce. We take a turn off for Portobello, we go straight into a town all the old guys on the stoops are yelling we missed our turn; we get turned around and are making our way down the coast. We get stuck behind a herd of bulls, with big ol horns no passing for now. We pull into Portobello I grab a sandwich and strike up a conversation with a lady from Wisconsin. She and her two kids were driving with her now ex-boyfriend from the states to Brazil to move there with him. She decided she didn’t like him anymore and decided to stay in Panama for now. She was a doctor and I told her about my feet problem, she told me to go to the clinic there that they were awesome.
I walk into the clinic take me about five minutes to find someone to help me. He claimed he was a doctor no name or anything stating doctor just a pair of blue scrubs. I lay down pull off my boots even after explain my situation and my results and telling him I only have pain in the mornings. He squeezes my feet asking if it hurts, nope. He has I sit in his office, writes a prescription starts to hand it to me saying it’s a pain killers, I look at him like he’s an idiot??? What?? No I don’t need pain meds, oh okay he writes another prescription for itching cream, what?? No I don’t need that either, oh okay he just stares at me. I finally can show him my results, he looks all surprised saying my uric acid levels are way high even though I know they are not. The average is 3-7 mine is at a 6.5 High average, High is 9 and over. He writes a prescription tells me to take it twice a day 12 hrs apart. He tells me two bucks and pockets it, then takes me to the pharmacy. I get give a packet of 60 Vitamin C tablets to suck on twice a day and that’s it, $1.90. I go back to the “Doctor” Really all I need to do is take Vitamin C? “Yes and no more red meat, take it easy on beans, and not too many beers”. UGH Okay I get on my bike and head to Puerto Lindo.
We pull into town and head to the hostel where we made one night reservations (first ones of the trip). Go and check in saying we are here and would love to meet the captain of the boat. She tells us that the hostel is full and I ask again if she had talked to the captain about us sleeping on the boat. We had heard others had to load their bike s day before you depart and you get to stay on the boat to stay with your bikes. When I told her this she just laughed and called the boat captain. Than standing in front of us she made fun of us for wanting to squeeze a free night out of the boat while talking on the phone to the captain. Very mean old Austrian woman, I talked to the captain we arranged a time the next day to meet in the morning and load the bikes. We asked if we could camp in the open yard, nope she doesn’t want the place to look trashy “ugh have you looked at his place” haha. We head out check out another hostel, a 12 year old kid is running it, and it is gnarly but we could camp in his yard for 5 bucks but no safe parking sketchy area. I head back to the hostel to make sure she wasn’t holding us our reservation and had forgotten, clay headed off to find camping. I talked to the husband who was very nice, there had been a miss communication she thought we wanted the next night and they were full because the seas were too rough and two boat loads of kids had to wait an extra day. Then they offered for us to camp?? I took it because I needed to unbolt my panniers and go through them. It was a safe enclosed area. Clay had talked to the marina and paid them two bucks to sleep in the yard.
We ran around town getting dinner supplies, made cheap cup of noodles for dinner and used the internet and went to bed.
Woke up this morning and headed down to Meet our captain Jebi from France to load our bikes. We waited at the docks for a little while then a guy all tatted out showed up in a rubber dingy and introduced himself. He explained that if we didn’t want to leave our bikes on the boat out of site over night that we can load them Saturday morning because we are not leaving now until Saturday afternoon. There are a bunch of passengers stuck up north due to the road closures. (Protestors shut down the highway) We found out that the Boat is over booked by 4 people. There are 12 beds and 16 paying passengers, although he said we can sleep on the ground with a mattress. He claims he has taken bikes but had no idea about our permits and getting those stamped out of Panama.. So we will see. We also had to give him our passports and he holds onto them until they get stamped into Colombia; he is a surfer guy with just board shorts on taking everyone’s passports.. Sketchy? Not at all.. Just another adventure. The boat trip is going to be hilarious I think. To get our bikes onto the boat we have to load one at a time onto a small dingy, motor out to the boat and hoist them onto the boat with some type of rigging system. We shall see, I am excited and nervous all at once. We walked around town picking up a few supplies for the trip and I did some research on line trying to figure out what to do about my legs.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #139
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Cry Shitty.. Hardest decison had to be made

DAY 91 CONTINUED…
2/3/2012
About thirty minutes ago around 7pm I had to make the hardest decision of the trip…. I felt worse than I have been feeling for the past month today and yesterday. After consulting with a lot of people from friends, nurses from home who talked with their doctors, two doctors, and my Global Rescue Doctor. They all basically called me an idiot for thinking about getting on a boat tomorrow and being in the middle of the Atlantic for the next 5 days nowhere near help. Due to the fact they think there is a good chance I might have a blood clot. And a blood clot is not a joking matter so I am told. Luckily I get my deposit back and passport back from the captain and will be leaving Clay and heading back to Panama to go get an Ultra Sound and a physical to figure out what the hell is going on with me. I did not want to throw in the towel we worked so hard to figure out a way to Columbia and I am so close. But at the end of the day obviously the RISKS are not worth it. I will figure out a different way to Columbia, although I was just told that if I can figure this all out another boat with space for a bike is leaving on the 10th. I am going to cut this short and go make some dinner and go to bed, feeling pretty crappy at the moment. Will update tomorrow after Hospital visit.
I will be healthy and riding again soon!!!
Fletch

Thanks for riding along with me.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #140
heffe
#$%^&U*&^%$#@

Oddometer: 5,054
good call to see the doc. .....be well.
heffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:02 AM   #141
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,475
Good luck Fletch..... keep us posted.
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:50 PM   #142
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Eek No buddy can figure out out!!

DAY 92-
2/4/2012
When the evil lady at the hostel finally gave me my deposit back for the boat, she asked if I was going to another boat for cheaper. She didn’t believe that I was going to Panama City to go to the hospital.
I woke up around 7am packed up the bike said goodbye to Clay and headed toward Panama City. I got lost for a second then found my way into Panama, just to get all turned around and lost in the crazy city. It is a horrible lay out all roads going everywhere except the way you’re going. I finally saw the water and headed toward it, got my bearing straight and made it to the hostel. Check my Email got the right hospital to go to, Pacifico. No doctors but I could fork up 50 bucks and go see a doctor in the ER.
I sat with the doctor for 30 minutes, I got the feeling he had no idea what was going on with me. After an exam of my feet and legs he said it was not a blood clot, because the back of my legs would be in pain. My pain comes from my bones in my feet and shins. So he decided it was from being unhealthy, eating cheap, gaining weight, and being in one sitting position every day on the bike. He told me from now on to stop every 1-2hrs and walk around sit and then walk around some more get the blood flowing and then ride some more. I got back to the hostel called global rescue again check in and talked with them letting them know what the doctor had said. The paramedic I talked to took my info and went and talked with the doctor. I called back 30 minutes later, he said the doctor suggested I bed rest and walk around for the next few days and monitor myself checking in with them. The guy made the comment I can then decide if I feel up to keep going south or throw the towel in and head home!?!?! No way in hell I am going home.. I am three months into a 2 year trip. I just need to watch what I eat, exercise every day, and I will be fine. This is kind of a downer, but I will be riding soon no doubt.. Well for now I am going to take a nap… Now you know what I know..
Old 02-05-2012, 08:54 AM   #143
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,644
Hope you start feeling better fletch!

Do research on the possible boats you take. I've read some horrible reports. Search them out on her and horizons.

Good luck!
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:39 PM   #144
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Pics of panama-purto lindo- back to panama

HEADING OUT OF PANAMA CITY

MOOOOOOO

MOOOOOOOOOOOOCING DOWN THE ROAD

WHO INVITED THE WEIRD BEARD BALD GUY

CLAYTON JONES... IS ON A BOAT.. GOOD LUCK BUDDY.. NICE RIDING WITH

SOFTBALL!!

BACK IN PANAMA CITY...............

OH BOY NEW ADVENTURES!!!!!!!
Old 02-06-2012, 06:07 AM   #145
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestedbutte-rtw View Post
Anyone got doctor friends or really smart friends?
So here is my deal I went to the doctor 3 days ago got my blood drawn and now the doctor has not been there for the past 2 days to tell me what to do. I have to leave Panama City to go to the Atlantic to catch a Boat to Colombia.

Here is my problem; It started with sensitive shins a little swelling, then to my feet where... they started to ache in the morning, then they swelled up big. They have only swelled up huge once. But they ache everytime I wake up or sit for a long time with out moving them, like really bad arthritice. My blood test came back as cholesterol 131 and my uric acid 6.5. Since on the trip I eat very cheap unhealthy street food, do not exscercise (sit on moto for past 3 months) and drink way to much.
I know the obvious, change your diet and start running, but was hoping for some type of diagnosis..
I will wait until I get to Colombia to go to another doctor..

Any help would be great
Fletch

Feet hurting for the first few minutes of walking after getting up from sleeping or sitting a long time were symptoms of diabetes for me. Feeling tired and worn out was also a symptom.
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:12 AM   #146
cbtrekker
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Hey Fletch, sorry to hear about your current situation. Hope you start feeling better and get back on the road soon. Oh and everything happens for a reason, so don't let this set back get you down. Just a start of a new adventure. Take care and keep us posted.............Dave
cbtrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:14 AM   #147
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Eh? Fingers Crossed!!

I went in for my last full Blood tests today, will find everything out tomorrow morning. .50 cents to see the doc another 12 bucks for two different full blood tests, not bad I'd say. I also think I landed my self another Sailboat if I want it on the 13th if not I have to wait till the 22nd and it is an extra hundred bucks for some reason. This boat def looks a little ghetto but I need to get to Colombia.. haha so let the adventures begin. Clay should be getting to colombia by tomorrow..
Fletch
Old 02-07-2012, 08:26 AM   #148
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Working on Patience..

DAY- 93
2/5/2012
Woke up very frustrated, I hate not knowing what is wrong as well as not being able to keep going at the moment. A friend I trust a lot wrote me concerned that I had just been pushed through the line of people at the hospital yesterday, as I am as well. I grabbed a cup of coffee and went for a walk taking in the views and reminding myself how good I really have it, I am come on Fletch your “stuck” in Panama City boo hoo…haha I drank lots of water ate healthy all day and ended up going to the huge mall to find some new riding socks. My socks are beat and are too big and bulky. I found three nice soccer socks that help with wicking away sweat. There seemed to be a nice movie theater but I really didn’t want to watch a Spanish dubbed movie at that moment. I headed back to the hostel and picked up some food for dinner, rice, veggies, and tuna. I made dinner and just relaxed with a nice can of pina juice.

DAY-94
2/6/2012
I woke up and headed to the original clinic that I had started with and maid my .50 cents and waited for 2hrs to talk with the doctor again. I explained everything going on and she was still pretty sure it has something to do with my uric acid level, she prescribe a pill once a day to bring my levels down and I left. Lying in bed I realized I should just get a full blood test and whatever else I could. I headed back snuck into her office cutting the line and she gave me a few minutes of her time. There had been miscommunication between us over the last blood test she didn’t think I wanted full just Uric. So she set me up with two different full blood tests tomorrow morning no eating after 7pm. I headed out checked the time and grabbed a taxi to the mall. I found out that the movies are not dubbed just sub titled so they are still in English. I grabbed a taxi and went back to the mall. I watch Tower Heist not bad got me to relax and laugh. I walked around awhile looking at new cameras, I want to be able to take better photos and my camera is dying. The prices are barely higher than home so I may try and pick up a G12 or S90 both Canons, I also found a moto shop that has Shift Knee and Elbow pads for 20bucks each. Since I want to ride all dirt from Ecuador through Chile, probably not a bad Idea. I got back to the hostel around 8ish and just hung out did some research, emailed the lady who has been helping me with the sailboats. She wrote back saying she doubted there was space, then again saying there was space for me and the bike if I wanted it. Although now the boat isn’t leaving on the 10th but on the 13th. I wrote here telling here I have to wait for my results so without deposit if she could hold it just until the morning of the 8th I will know if I can catch the boat. Surprisingly I just got an email back saying she is holding it until the morning of the 8th so fingers crossed.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:56 PM   #149
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Thumb Doctors doctors doctors

DAY 95-96
2/7-8/2012

Woke up and headed to the clinic for blood test. Walked in paid 12 bucks for two test sat down 3 minutes later got blood drawn and out the door. I walked around and exercised the legs. I met a nice German girl Nikki who needed to go to the mall so we split a taxi and headed to the mall. I walked around picked up those knee and elbow pads, low end Shift gear but they will do the trick. Also found a small tiny solo travel speaker for cheap, a new earpiece/ mic for skyping with the fam and friends, and I found air filter oil and cleaner. Not too bad, same price as home. Nikki got everything she needed and we headed home.
I had a pretty mellow day, just been taking it easy and researching places I want to go once I hit South America. I messed around on the computer made a quick dinner of tuna and pasta; then I went to bed.
As soon as I awoke on Wednesday morning I went directly to the clinic. Sat and waited for 30 minutes paid .50 cents and saw the doctor. All of my tests came back PERFECT!!!! She said I seemed very healthy, other than my Uric Acid level she thought it was a little high and could come down some. So I got once a day pills for the next 30 days, no red meat, beans, BEER, or raw Tomatoes; I also need to get off my bike more often stretch and walk around. I can start fully exercising (running, working out) in a week. I was so relieved when she said I was fine and good to go on my way. I celebrated by making myself a rice, veggies, and lobster dinner. I was walking around near the water met a nice girl from Boston (Jodi) who has been traveling for 4 years and is on her way back to Australia to live with her boyfriend. We talked for over 3 hours and just hung out and then I headed back to the hostel and past out.
I also paid my Deposit for my boat ride on the 13th so I am set to go!!
I still have not heard from my friend Clay who should have gotten to Colombia on the 8th so hope all was good and easy for him. This past week as taught me a lot about my trip and myself, very happy that it happened and made me open up my eyes!!!

Thanks for riding along.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:41 PM   #150
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,644
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote