Oddometer: 1,656
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #197
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Oddometer: 353
Question Whats ur favorite lock????

I had a Bully Lock and it has shit the bed and I had to cut it off. My best Friend is coming down to go paragliding with me in a few weeks in Bolivia. I was curious what everyones favorite lock is. I am looking for something to detour the everyday thief (I know if they want it bad enough or professionals it is gone). I am in need of one that is compactable and not to heavy, but not a disc lock. Any thoughts would be rad. Fletch
crestedbutte-rtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:10 PM   #198
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Talking Just rode the best road so far...

Got a tip from Clay who I had rode with a few times in Central America. super rough beat up road, hand carved small tunnels through the mountain side, riding next to a huge river, old scetchy bridges, and I slowly climbed up into the ANDES!!! Now I sit in Hurraz, Peru. Will post RR and pics so just so pumped on the ride. Hands down the best day of riding gnar roads so far and many more to come in my future!!!
Old 04-22-2012, 01:41 AM   #199
Ponix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
from philippines

Keep it coming! I am seriously drawn to the reports
Ponix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:08 AM   #200
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,428
Wow! Just caught up on yur fantastic report and pictures. Thanks so much for the work and time to share with us.

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:39 PM   #201
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Thumb Heading south with a lil stomch issue

DAY 166-170
4/16-20/2012
Woke up and was feeling a little under the weather, stomach was bugging me so I took it easy for the day walking around the city. Took a bunch of naps and got fluids into me and a little food, although hard to find food that’s not fried, pizza, or rice/chicken combos. I crashed out early and planned on getting up early and head south. I got up and was on the road, riding the good ol PA. I got to Trujillo and new of a town Huachuca which is a little surf town. I headed down the road stopped and headed down a quick dirt road right up to the beach took a few pictures and headed back to Huachuca. I found a cheap hostel about 6 bucks a night with a nice cushy garage for my bike. I walked around town looking for Cerviche which I found and was extremely disappointed. Met a nice guy from San Diego and a guy from Austria.
I sat at the hostel catching up on a month worth of writing and pics. I uploaded all my work to my Blog and ADVRIDER, due to the fast internet it took hours of sorting and uploading. I went out to dinner with my new friends to an awesome restaurant soup, huge entrees, and juice for 5 Sol ($2). We hung out for the evening talking about our trips, Kevin from San Diego had just spent over 4 months deep in the Amazon he had some pretty wicked stories.
I was thinking of heading out the next day but still my stomach was still not right. I hung out went to the beach for a quick swim which was entertaining. The waves were intense breaking on shore with rocks smashing into you; I got pumbled a little but still had a nice swim. Had a few good meals all for 5 sol’s apiece. Met a bunch of nice people from all over, ranging from travelers who are just here for a few weeks to people who have been going for over 1 ˝ years.
I woke up and started to pack although my clock was off so I over slept by over an hour and still not feeling awesome. I decided to lay low met a lot more people and had some great conversation and just took in how awesome this small town on the coast was. Also it will be my last coastal town for awhile. I ran into a few friends from Ecuador and that was nice to see where they had been and what they had been up to. I packed my bags and was set no questions asked I was getting out of here tomorrow!! I went over my map and suggestions from Joel and Clay other riders who are ahead of me or already made it to TDF and are headed home.

WALKING OUT OF MY ROOM, THAT WAS 6 BUCKS ON THE BEACH

SETTING QUICK

SNAP SHOT OF THE NIGHT.. SO STOKED I CAUGHT IT.. SUCH A PEACEFUL TOWN
Old 04-22-2012, 07:52 PM   #202
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Talking Best day of shredding so far

DAY-171
4/21/2012
I got up early packed up the bike and was ready to rip, checked out, stopped to get cash pushed the wrong button and got US $, crap. Found a place with crappy exchange rate but only place open at 7:30am. I headed south, making good time on the PA asphalt toward Santa. I stopped for gas and food. Got directions after asking 5 people and headed for the Andes. I road this nice small asphalt road toward the Andes the scenery started to change slowly. Clay had given me a heads up where to get off the asphalt and link up with a small dirt road that links a few villages together. I came up on a road block/ Check point and headed through. Came to the turn where the asphalt goes over a bridge and heads into the mountain or a dirt road that runs along the river. I headed back to the check point double checked that the road would dump out near Caraz and then took it. Right away I knew it was right, very rocky and bumpy vibrating me to hell, I was just laughing as I road next to huge walls and a nice drop off into the river right next to me. I came upon my first dug out tunnel and was in awe, stopped and had to take a picture of the bike next to it. I headed through not gaining a lot of altitude, just headed down a bumpy road with dug out tunnels, sketchy falling apart bridges, small mining towns, and a nice river running at me. I rode for about 2+ hrs when I saw a few people outside their tienda where there was a fork in the road; I stopped to make sure I was headed in the right direction. I was but they made it sound like I had 5 more hrs of this road until I make it to Caraz. I decided to push through and see where it takes me worse case I have to camp into a rad area.
I kept heading the same way, the road started to gain altitude. More and more tunnels, just jumping back and forth over the river. I was just laughing and bounding down the road, which was starting to smooth out more and more from the mining trucks. I started to pass through larger villages and was feeling like I was defiantly getting closer I could start to get glimpses of huge Andes Mountains in the distance. I was thinking too much and not just enjoying the ride, I need to work on taking everything in more and letting all the crap in the brain go. It has been interesting all the thoughts and conversations you end up having while riding for great distances at a time... haha I have to tell myself to shut up and laugh. I am getting a lot better at stopping more and taking tons of photos as I ride, instead of just pounding through the ride. It is crazy how much you lean and realize about yourself when it is just you around. I have defiantly notice a crazy calming feeling taking over the past weeks. I cannot describe it something you have to experience for yourself.
I came into another miner village with colorful concrete houses and tons of mines everywhere. I saw a sign all of a sudden for Caraz only 50km away. The road got very smooth still dirt but fast. I hit another town where the road just dumped out onto an asphalt road right before I ended up in Caraz, was sure it was it a lot smaller than I thought and lots of clouds so I could see the huge Andes towering over the town. I sat in town talking to a crazy bum reading up on the area, I decided to keep heading south. I rode a main road 70km to Hurraz, where I rode around looking for a hostel I had read about. I finally found the hostel and was hoping to camp but they had stopped allowing camping and they had very cheap rooms so I took one with safe parking. I got into my room for 15 Sol (6 bucks); I met a nice guy from the UK and decided to go out for good food. I have been living and eating very cheaply keeping well under budget so I decided to splurge for a good meal and beer. We met up around 8pm at an English curry restaurant where I had delicious Chicken Curry and local breweries brew. Spent about 18bucks on a really good dinner and two awesome beer (best beer since leaving home) so much flavor. I was exhausted after a day of throwing around my big bike, all day it was hot until I made it here where it is a little over 3000 meters and nice and cool. Tomorrow I will take it easy mapping out my route for the next 5 days of riding until I get to Cuzco, and also hike around a little bit taking it all in. Leaving I know I will get to ride through the park hitting elevations of 4000+ meters.

FIRST OF MANY TUINNELS FOR THE DAY

SUCH A SICK START TO A RAD ROAD

IF YOU WERE MY GOGGLES, RAD LITTLE MINING VILLAGES EVERYWHERE

I COULDN'T STOP , STOPPING TO TAKE PICTURES SO AMAZING VIEWS

SHE'S HAPPY TO BE BACK IN THE MOUNTAINS

CHASED THIS RIVER FOR HOURS

EVERY TURN JUST GETS BETTER AND BETTER

A SHOT FROM BEHIND ME

I PASSED THROUGH OVER TWENTY DIFFERENT TUNNELS

SO SO STOKED, JUST LAUGHING AND SMILING

THE ANDES STARTING TO POP UP

HURRAZ CENTER SQUARE

GOODNIGHT HURRAZ!
Old 04-23-2012, 06:32 PM   #203
LXIV-Dragon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
Enjoying your RR - love these last lot of photos! Ride safe.

'07 Suzuki DR650SE - '06 - '03 Ducati 999 '13 Husqvarna TE449
2011 TAT; No Reservations
LXIV-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #204
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestedbutte-rtw View Post

I think any lone adventure rider starts to lose it a bit... I know I did.

I know I've said it before, but enjoy what you're doing. Even when it's bad. Being back isn't what it used to be...

Old 04-24-2012, 06:56 PM   #205
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Laugh Lovin it!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
I think any lone adventure rider starts to lose it a bit... I know I did.

I know I've said it before, but enjoy what you're doing. Even when it's bad. Being back isn't what it used to be...
Naw Quinn, not losing anything loving every minute, been learning alot about myself this past few weeks have been amazing. I think the scary thing is I like the mental arguements.. okay okay maybe your right I am losing it a little but sure is fun.. haha I honestly cannot imagine being back at home, I feel for ya.. haha. Come meet up in Africa!!
Hows the Knee? I should be meeting back up with Nick either in Cuzco or La Paz, in the next couple of weeks..
I rode at elevations of 16,000 and higher through the Andes yesterday you would of went nuts!!!
Old 04-24-2012, 09:07 PM   #206
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Naw Quinn, not losing anything loving every minute, been learning alot about myself this past few weeks have been amazing. I think the scary thing is I like the mental arguements.. okay okay maybe your right I am losing it a little but sure is fun.. haha I honestly cannot imagine being back at home, I feel for ya.. haha. Come meet up in Africa!!
Hows the Knee? I should be meeting back up with Nick either in Cuzco or La Paz, in the next couple of weeks..
I rode at elevations of 16,000 and higher through the Andes yesterday you would of went nuts!!!
16,000 ft would have been something! The views down there are amazing. When you combine that with the clear air I'm sure they are breathtaking!

Knee is doing a lot better. Not much rotational strength but useable now which is good. Easing into things, but I really would like to get back on a bike. Problem is I no longer have money for one. haha. Return trip from Phoenix is planned for early July.

Good to hear you and Nick are still doing well. I'd die to be in your position right now. Fun to be hanging out with my dog again, but back to the old bump and grind is no good. My excitement today was raking dead grass and getting a few blisters.. I moved back into my house last night. I often wonder if it's worth it. Should live cheap, work half a year, and disappear for the other half... I haven't run the numbers, but I'm fairly certain I can do constant travel for under 1000/month. I'm pretty sure I was under that for my trip.

Either way, keep it coming! I always enjoy the updates

Old 04-28-2012, 07:36 PM   #207
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Through the cordilleras blanca mountain range i go

DAY-172
4/22/2012
I woke up around 6am due to a bunkmate leaving for a trek at 5am. I walked to a famous café place, where they had awesome maps of the park and the Andes. I hung out checking out the maps, drinking coffee, and eating a breakfast burrito. I walked around for awhile until I headed back to the hostel to work on my RR and Blog. I met a nice guy from Santa Cruz; Jay, who had been in Ecuador for the past 4 months working for a nonprofit. He is an organic farmer from California. I worked on my bike went over it checking for anything loose as well as check my air filter and got my back up ready to go. We went out with a dad Neil from Bellingham, WA, he was a teacher and they had been living down here for the past 4 months. He took us to a local brewery that was started and ran by a guy from Steamboat, CO. It was defiantly the best beer I have had since leaving Colorado, nice to drink a beer with flavor. We then split up, Jay and I headed for some dinner, we found a little pizza place. While we were eating a young couple sat down and we started talking with them. They were Crested Butte’s enemies, ASPENITES!! No no they were very very nice and we talked for awhile they were here to climb but all of their gear and luggage was lost on the way down, so they were waiting.

DAY-173
4/23/2012
I quickly packed up my gear and then walked down the street for some coffee and breakfast. I headed out of town with a quick gas up and was making great time; I missed my turn but flipped a Uie and headed right back. I headed down a dirt road headed for the park; I arrived and paid my 5 Sol entrance fee. I was sitting at the edge of the park peering into the Cordilleras Blanca Mountain range which is the second largest highest mountains range in the world behind the Himalayas. There are 22 summits over 6,000 meters, and I was about to cross right through them. I headed into the park; I was having a blast ripping through the park. I stopped took a picture and the bike was looking good, I was about 20km from the park entrance when I glanced down and my speedometer was not working. Crap, I stopped at the top of a set of switchbacks and my speedometer cable had come loose and the inner cable fell out somewhere. Crap Crap Crap, I headed back slowly looking along the way no luck there and back. Oh well I can deal without knowing how fast I am going but not knowing mileage is going to be tricky not to run out of gas. So I will try and find one in the next town or at least will have some luck in Cuzco, still if I am having no luck I will get Mikey to bring it to Bolivia.
Well after knowing that it was gone it was time to rip rip rip up the Andes. I headed up into the Andes rising in altitude quickly; ripping passed the huge Andes towering over the road. The road just kept going up, I defiantly felt it strongly. I was around 16,000ft at one time, it was amazing to be that surround by massive mountains, defiantly reminded me of the Himalayas in Nepal. There were lakes everywhere, the views were incredible. I came upon a huge glacier just sitting over the road just waiting to avalanche on my head. I never saw another vehicle once I got past the hiking area. I spent 2 hours just throwing around the heavy animal through the Andes. The road itself was very bumpy, washed out at spots, rivers, mud, and whole lot of fun! It just kept going up, it would dip down for a second let me catch my breath and then back up again I went. Massive drop offs while hugging massive mountains, the feeling of riding through there are indescribable something you just have to experience.
I dumped out onto a paved road, and couldn’t figure out which way to go so I guessed (and was wrong woops). Quick 10 minute detour and I was back on track. I stopped at the top of this pass and it was an awesome picture of the twistiest road with switch backs after switch backs. I was stoked I started heading down and about 3 hours later I was still doing gnarly switch backs well over 300 switch backs from 4,000 meter down finally to like 2,000 meters. The road got super narrow, when I say narrow I mean it fits one bike and a car, one car, one truck, one bus, add a bike with the truck or bus and you got a tight squeeze. I had a couple of very close calls; the turns were so dangerous at times. You had a huge drop off on one side and cars trying to kill you from the other. The blind turns everyone gives a honk to give a heads up to oncoming traffic. I finally made it down and headed for Huánuco. All day I was getting chased and attack attempts by dogs, I was swerving donkeys, bulls, cows, chickens, pigs, goats, sheep, and so on. I was heading through a town when a goat jumped from the pack and I just missed him, I somehow missed the head of a bull by hairs, a huge chicken was crossing the road I went left and all of a sudden I was dealing with a dog chasing me when the chicken flipped a Uie and I hit him…. Lots of squawking.
I passed a police check point, no other cars pulled over, two cops in the back seat one standing watching me, and one more standing in front of his car back to me. Right as I passed he turned around and blew his whistle for me to stop, sorry to late already passed you and I kept on moving. I watched them in the mirror nothing, they just stood there watching me leave.
I was a little lost but figured it out and found the place I was looking for. They moved some furniture and I pulled the bike in, but they wanted me to take the Panniers off to get it further into the hostel. It’s a pain for me to do so, so I said no. There was a guy with tons of jokes that was driving me crazy asking tons of questions, usually not a big deal but I was exhausted and starving. They sent me down a few doors to a family where they let me park it inside their house next to their 125cc bike.
I found a slamming local spot for a great dinner of rice, grilled chicken, and veggies for 5 sols, so awesome. I am now going to go to bed and go again tomorrow.. Cuzco here I come, get to see Wyley a friend from way back and he is also bringing me my new Canon S100, a lot better quality pics to come.
Quick story that I forgot some reason I didn’t write about a few days ago. I was riding up to a small town and I could see people running frantically and jumping up on top of a truck and just trying to get out of the way. I slowed down as I got close to the action and then I realized they were all trying to get away from a pissed off bull. The bull was running around chasing people while they were helplessly trying to catch it. He was on the far left side of the road so I made a decision and pinned it as I did he came running across the road at me and a group of people standing on the far right of the road. I twisted the throttle and swerved right toward the group of people and around the Bull with a holler I was out and safe.

HERE WE GO!!!!

AT THE ENTRANCE OF THE PARK...LETS SHRED

CHECK OUT THE LICENSE PLATE.. IT SNAPPED AND NEEDED A ZIPTIE FIX

FIXED FOR NOW

JUST GETTING INTO THEM, SO BREATH TAKING IN MORE WAYS THEN ONE.. HAHA :)

PICTURE SAYS IT ALL!!

PUTS A SMILE ON MY FACE

SO BEAUTIFUL

WILL NEVER GET OLD, SUCH INCREDIBLE FEELING

IF U WERE MY GOGGLES

SKETCHYISH GLACIER NEAR THE ROAD

MAN I WISHED I HAD MY CBR1000RR FOR THIS STRETCH, IT WENT LIKE THIS FOR AT LEAST 100MILES

AND I AM OUT OF THE PARK :(

WATERFALLS EVERYWHERE

PAVEMENT FOR NOW

VIEWS WHILE RIDING

SAME ROAD

JUST KEEPS TWISTING THROUGH

SO SO SO MUCH FUN!!!
Old 04-29-2012, 01:12 PM   #208
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Fletch,

I cannot remember, but do you not have a GPS?

That would make your job a lot easier!

Old 04-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #209
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Laugh Hell no!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
Fletch,

I cannot remember, but do you not have a GPS?

That would make your job a lot easier!
Hell no Quinn, just maps keeps it interesting hahaha. I enjoy getting lost, just the other day it took me through a completely wrong way that ended up working and was much better way more remote. haha Only times I wish for it is when in huge cities.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:57 PM   #210
sin031
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
The adventure of a lifetime!!
Please follow me, as well as meet up and shred some bikes with me as I cook and ride around the world for the next 2+ years!!!! I have sold/ given everything I own, all I have to my name is my 09 KLR 650 and the gear on it.

www.wheresfletch.com

tell me what you think and your favorite places to ride around the world.
Thanks fletch
欢迎来中国旅行,welcome to China! Do you know any about China? There are people also like moto riding! 但是政府在很多城市禁摩,真是让人恼火!
sin031 is offline   Reply With Quote