Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2012, 08:44 PM   #256
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestedbutte-rtw View Post
Got three more classes of spanish and then hook up with Nick and we shred for awhile together. Just got a good connection in Mendoza, Argentina for a possible staging Gig (Culinary internships), to learn new Techniques and traditions! Fingers cross it would be awesome!!! Got to figure out where we want to ride, and super pumped to try out all of my new Wolfman Gear!!!!
Fletch
I was going to ask about that, but figured I'd leave well enough alone! haha. This will be your first time cooking won't it be?

Nick's a good person to ask questions about with Spanish. I was shocked at how well he did after 3 weeks. I followed him through the Belize/Guat border crossing =)

If (or when) I do another trip, I'm either stopping, or learning before hand! If I could practice here I would learn now, but not many Spanish speaking people here.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:33 AM   #257
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,282
yummy yummy yummy i got love in my tummy
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:49 PM   #258
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Oddometer: 353
Thumb Pumped!!!

Spanish is going great, a little bit of overload but going great. Nick got here a couple of days ago, tomorrow is my last class of spanish I think and then we go ride Death Road on Weds. We will leave La Paz on Thrusday for good and as of now do a loop of Bolivian Dirt then head for Chile VIa the Salt Flats. Cannot wait to shred again and will be awesome to ride with Nick for awhile. Will post more of a official update soon.. Fletch
crestedbutte-rtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:52 AM   #259
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Laugh Catching up, sorry been slicking a little

DAY-218-226
6/7-15/2012
So this is a quick over view of the past 9 days in La Paz taking Spanish and waiting for Nick to get here. Spanish went well but by hour 46 I started to get burnt out to much information.
Jayson from Crested Butte Mountain Guides was coming down to Bolivia to take a client climbing, so we had planned out to meet up for a dinner. Luckily for me my debit card arrived to my dadís house with a day to spare before Jayson left so he was able to bring it down to me. We met up and it was nice to see a familiar face. We went out to dinner to a nice restaurant and caught up on stories of my trip and stories of home and Alaska from him. We went out to dinner all three nights they were in La Paz before heading out for their summit attempt of over 20,000ft, which they accomplished.
Fridayís class was my hitting the wall point I couldnít take in anymore Spanish information. I still had 13hrs left of class and didnít know what I wanted to do about my classes.
Nick arrived we went out to dinner and traded tons of stories since we last hung out in Cali, Colombia. I am so stoked to have someone to ride with; it will be a nice change.

DAY-227-231
6/16-20/2012
I woke up not feeling that awesome so I decided to sleep and start going through my stuff seeing where I can drop weight. I met up with Nick for dinner and was introduced to Ian from England who has been riding a 2006 F650GS for the past three years through AK, Canada, US, Mexico, Central America, and now South America. I talked with my school on Monday and decided I would do 3 more hours hitting a total of 50 hrs and was able to get my money back for the last ten hours. After my last class I met up with Nick and Ian to go find a few moto parts and some gear. I needed a new tire and wanted to pick up a knobby for the rear. I have been carrying that CST Tire since Nicaragua, which I bought because my Kenda was worse than bald. Although I made it to Costa Rica to buy Pirelliís so I never needed it. So back to present Ian needed a back tire and he is mostly riding all pavement so I offered him my tire for 20 bucks to take it off my hands for good. He was stoked and I was stoked win win. On Tuesday we headed off for Death Road all together, we grabbed gas at gringo price (triple the Bolivian price).
We headed up out of La Paz toward the start of the Death road. As we rode up higher the sky went from perfect blue bird day to riding in a misty cloud. We got stopped once for a license check and another by military wanting to search our bags but all they did was look in my tank bag. We got to the top hitting 4800 meters and then started to drop down passing Mtn Bikes. We got into a small town where we had to buy a permit to ride the death road. We headed up toward the turn off found it quickly and started making our way slipping past tons of Mtn Bike tours and their chase vehicles. Unfortunately the road was all clouded in and rainy so we couldn't see much and not a lot of opportunities for pictures. We didnít take the short cut that the tours do back to the main road, we rode the death road all the way till the town of Coroico where we had Lunch. The road was not as gnarly as you might think there is no traffic and it is smooth just with a hug drop off to the left hand side. We took the main road back to La Paz.
At dinner we decided that we would take care of a few last things and all head out together on Thursday for Sucre. We decided on taking hwy 6th to get to Sucre and after Nick and Ian did some reading online they read on the HUB that it was now paved and Ian wanted to join us, he didnít want dirt but since it was paved he wanted to ride with us. Nick and I were a little bummed because we did want dirt and I was told by my teacher that it was dirt on hwy 6th to Sucre.
On Wednesday I found a tire and Nick found new A-Star gloves, I also picked up a much smaller camping pot kit so I was stoked. We decided to meet in the morning to head out around 9:30 am for breakfast and get on the road by 11:30am.

WITH MY SPANISH TEACHER IN LA PAZ

WITH JAYSON FROM CRESTED BUTTE MOUNTAIN GUIDES

THE JUICE THAT KEEPS ONJ GIVING... UGH WHAT??

LA PAZ FROM ALTO

MINERS PROTESTING AND THROWING STICKS OF DYNAMITE IN THE STREETS

DEATH ROAD HERE WE COME!!

NICE CHANGE TO RIDE WITH OTHERS

RUN!!! POLICE

NICK PUMPED TO BE ON DIRT!!

SAY HELLO TO MY NEW FRIEND IAN

TAKING A BREAK ON DEATH ROAD

ME RIDING THE DEATH ROAD......

LUNCH BREAK

INCREDIBLE VIEWS ON THE WAY BACK TO LA PAZ

CLOUDY AND A LITTLE RAINY AT TIMES

NICK COMING THROUGH THE CLOUDS

AWESOME DAY WITH GOOD FRIENDS

JUST AWESOME, I LOVE BOLIVIA!!

ONE HELL OF A DAY!

Tons more updates and awesome photo's coming in the next few hours.. Thanks for following
Fletch
Old 07-01-2012, 07:28 AM   #260
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Thumb To sucre we go!!!

DAY-232-234
6/21-23/2012
We met up at 9:30am for breakfast and decided that we would meet up at my hostel at 11:30am to leave La Paz once and for all. As I got back to the hostel there is a kid from England who has been riding a 125cc Honda from Chile heading to Colombia. He was having his chain pop off and getting wedged between his tire and the sprocket. I pointed him toward the Motorcycle area of La Paz (San Pedro) his chain was stretched out and twisted bad. He also wanted to look at the map and wanted me to point out the quickest way to Lima, because he needed to be there by Sunday and it was Thursday and his bike was messed up. He was not going to make it, he was bummed but still determined to make it. Due to helping him out I was running a little late so I started to run. I got my bike packed up and setup with my new luggage; I am now running strictly Wolfman Luggage Made In good olí COLORADO!!!!
We headed out of La Paz just before 12pm, my bad boys. We gassed up and headed for Oruro, it was a pretty straight forward ride. The whole way was paved and straight defiantly nice to ride with others on straight paved roads. I was leading and came up on a toll booth and in Bolivia you can ride around if youíre on a motorcycle. As I was heading toward it this one was different there were police stopping a few cars. As I came into the booth a cop walked out waving me to pull into a dirt parking lot, just like Peru I waved and kept on riding through he was not stoked but oh well. I went a little ways to wait, the cop stayed in the way and made Ian and Nick stop. He just checked their stuff and before they could give them crap they had strategically stopped in the way of the traffic so they couldnít take their time and sent them on their way. We made our way quickly to Oruro without trouble and found a cheap place to stay for the night with safe parking.
We had been planning on taking Hwy six Nick and I was hoping for lots of dirt but unfortunately for us Nick had read a road update about the highway on the HUB that it was completely paved as of March of this year. With that news Ian was in, he is kind of over riding dirt he just wanted pavement.
So we headed off in the morning to get to Sucre we had estimated that it would take about 6-7hrs, we even checked with locals they said it was paved and would take 4-5hrs. The first 100km was paved, we came into a small mining town got turned around and ended up at the mining area. The guard stopped us and pointed us to the road but said we had to go back the way we came and go around. We pointed to a bridge and he finally let us go through as we started to cross the bridge which was a train track and a small walking area which was flimsy metal. Nick went first and as he got to the end he had to stop for people, although when he did the metal started to bend a lot and I thought he was going through. When it was my turn I went across the flimsy last part fast and it felt like riding on a trampoline bouncy bouncy bouncy. We made our way on pavement for a little bit longer until it turned into dirt.
There was tons of construction on the road, the parts without construction was fast hard packed dirt. Although the long stretches of construction was a mix of weaving through trucks, small detours and a lot of sand. Nick and I are at about the same riding level dirt or asphalt. Unfortunately Ian did not want to ride on dirt and since he was informed it was all asphalt he was not stoked at all and was taking his time not a big deal, Nick and I would ride ahead until a good picture stop and wait for a bit for Ian to catch up and so on. We made it to a road block that we found out was closed at 1:30pm until 6pm it was 1:30 and Ian showed up at 1:40pm so we had to decide to wait it out or take this quick detour that we were told about by the worker. We decided detour that was not 17km as he said but 60-70km and it was AWESOME!!!!! It was a fun road narrow, no traffic, rocky, sandy, crazy foot deep dust, nice drop off into a valley/river below, and just a lot of exhausting fun. Well there was nowhere to grab lunch so we were working with breakfast which consisted of one piece of bread and coffee and of course snacks. Ian was not a fan of this road at all, like I stated before he wasnít looking for dirt. Up until today I had not full on wrecked, yes I have dropped my bike a few times but no body to ground action. I was whipping right behind Nick as we took a left hand turn, crap all sand and rocks my front tire slipped out going down left. I saved it but within in a split second it caught and slammed me to the right and down I went sliding. Nick didnít see it and was gone, I lifted the heavy beast back up checked her out and my Wolfman bags looked brand new still. I chased after Nick and was wonder what the hell happened then realized you dumbass Nick is running a knobby front and back tire and your running a bald back and a dual purpose front haha idiotÖhahaha
Ian was worked and we knew we were very far from Sucre and was going to either find a place to sleep or camp. We kept pushing Ian a little farther and a little farther until we finally hit a small town and realized we were only half way through the detour back to the main road. I needed water and supplies, the town was shut down like a ghost town. As soon as we pulled in we had a crowd of people coming out of the wood work to see who and what we were. I knocked on a closed shop and a little girl of maybe 7 came to the door and let us in, they had neither real food nor water so we grabbed lots of junk food for pennies. Ian wanted to stay in the town so we asked about a place to sleep all they had was one bed in a tiny no window room/ school. We decided to push on and find some camping. We rode another 15km or so out of town and found an awesome flattish camp spot right near the road with an incredible view. We setup camp and had some dinner, while we ate a guy on a motorcycle came up curious and talked with us for 5 minutes then Nick gave him a thing of cookies and he left. I was sound asleep when I had a dream in Spanish but then I woke and realized somebody was walking around our camp talking in Spanish, it was 11:30pm. I found out it was two people who drove up in a car and was just curious, luckily Nick heard them and talked with them for a minute till they left. My gas rack had snapped off while riding so I will have to come up with something to get me to Sucre.
We woke up and slowly got our gear packed up, Ian took off quickly to get a head start knowing we would catch up. We caught him at the first of many water crossings of the day; we splashed through and headed up out of the River basin via a gnarly boulder filled road. We made it back to the main road and back tracked a 1km to a main town so I could grab gas and we could grab breakfast. The gas was in a room filled with 10liter bottles of gas and propane bottles. Cheap so I was happy. We cruised on the main road for quite some time hard packed and fast, until turned into construction zone. Nick and I came to a fork that supposedly was another detour not realizing Nick asked me which way I wanted to go I Just gave him thumbs up due to having my music going. We stayed on the main road and weaved in and out of construction, wet asphalt, sand, and then was stopped by a rockslide. We turned around and headed back never seeing Ian we took the detour and was told by a bus to be careful very dangerous they said. Right away the whole road was covered in 6-10inches of sand/ dust. We came around a turn to find Ian with his bike on its side and he was exhausted. The bus came up and saw us standing next Ianís bike with oil on the ground, asked what happened we told them he fell. They then told Ian to be careful very dangerous. I thought Ian was going to kill the driver but instead he just walked away...hahaha. We pushed on and finally arrived in Sucre with no problems at 6pm two full days it took of riding to get here with two long detours. We found a place thanks to the Hub with safe parking, Nick and I jumped up the three stair entry way. They did not have any wood for Ian and he only has 4inchís of clearance, so he smashed his way in exhausted and chipped their already chipped up stairs, they were not impressed. Although the next day he bought them wood so they were happy.

ALL COLORADO WOLFED OUT!!!!

GASSING UP

NO FUN AT ALL IN BOLIVIA.. HAHAHA

IAN AND I COMING IN HOT

WEEEEEEEEEE

PISS BREAK PICTURE

THE BOUNCY BRIDGE

NICK AND HIS NEW FRIEND

HEY GRINGO WHAT THE HELL YOU DOING ON MY ROAD???

QUICK BREAK AND PICTURES

SWEET MUDHOLE HIT IT NICK, YES WE ARE 5 YEAR OLDS.. HAHA

WEEEEEEE, MUD, WATER.. YEAH FOR BEING 5

IAN SHOWING US THE MATURE WAY

NICK SHREDDING

FUN ROAD WITH GREAT VIEWS

WHAT CAN I SAY I BLEND IN EVERYWHERE I GO... HAHA JUST IN CASE YOU WERE CONFUSED I AM ON THE RIGHT

WHAT A DAY

CAMP SPOT

AWESOME VIEWS TO AN AWESOME DAY

FATHER AND SON WALKING THROUGH OUR CAMP

NICK SHREDDING FOR THE MAIN ROAD

GASSING UP

FIRST OF MANY WATER CROSSINGS

COOL SHOT BY NICK

HEAVEN

MYSELF SHREDDING SOME BOLIVIAN HEAVEN

LIFE IS RAD

MAKING OUR WAY

THANKS NICK, SICK SHOT

NICK PASSING A RANDOM PIGGY

AWESOME SHOT OF THE ROAD TOWARD SUCRE

YES I AM A 12 YEAR OLD WHO DRAWS DICKS ON MY FRIENDS BIKES... HAHAHA

LLAMA CROSSING

NICK PASSING BY

ROCKSLIDE TURN AROUND

WE FOUND IAN!!!!

A LITTLE DUSTY

GETTING CLOSE TO SUCRE

AWESOME TRANSLATION AT THE HOTEL.. BASICALLY TELLING US IF WE MARK OR DAMAGE THE WALLS WE HAVE TO PAY... HAHA

A few more updates to come in the next couple of hours, thanks for following!!
Fletch

crestedbutte-rtw screwed with this post 07-01-2012 at 07:41 AM
Old 07-01-2012, 08:14 AM   #261
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Laugh The che guevara loop, nick and i

DAY-235-236
6/24-25/2012
We all woke up feeling the last couple of days of riding; so we took it easy all of the shops we needed were closed due to it being a Sunday. We all caught up on our writing and picture sorting had a nice relaxing day walking around.
On Monday we all headed for the moto shops and check them out. I found a jet and some gas hose so that was nice. We took it easy just checking out Sucre and hitting the cafťís for coffee and internet. Nick and I planned on changing my tire to my new knobby I had bought in La Paz, although due to running a 19inch tube heavy duty in the back we could not break the bead so at the last second ran it to a shop and they changed my tire and filled it for $1.20 perfect. I reassembled my bike and was ready for the loop we were going to do tomorrow. Had a nice dinner said see you later to Ian, the route we were going to take was almost an all dirt loop and he was not interested to say the least.

6/26-28/2012
We grabbed a quick breakfast, loaded up the bikes, and headed out. It took me about 20km to get used to riding a knobby on pavement, figuring out how hard I could push it in turns. The road turned into a packed dirt road and we flew through it. We came up on our turn and a small town where we stopped for lunch. After that the road got a little gnarly, again with this crazy sand and 6-12inch of dusty. Nick called it bull dust donít know what to call it but crazy to ride in. I was following Nick most of the day because he had the GPS and knew where to go. At one point I was hauling down the road and hit a massive stretch of this deep dusty. All of a sudden my bike slipped out and I went to the left but saved it slammed me to the other side, so hard that all I saw was ground coming I tensed up ready for a good slam to the right. I twisted the bars back and right before impact the bike just caught and stood straight back up at a 90, I kicked back left and saved it holy crap. Sweet a hard packed straight away; I slammed the gas to do a little catch up. All of a sudden I hit another patch of the dust and it sent me into the worst speed wobbles so bad that both of my feet got ripped off. I was going way to fast and knew it was over, I yelled out ďcome on f*&@ get it!Ē All of a sudden I did get it and got it back under control and man was I puckered... hahaha the rest of the road was like this no more close calls but crazy sand, dusty, rocky, and a lot of fun. We arrived at a bunch of trucks stopped and made our way to the front of the line. There was a rock slide and they were doing construction it was going to be a two hour wait but should reopen at 6pm. A lot of locals would come up talk to us asking questions and looking at the bike. We sat eating M&Mís and drinking PowerAde and water. When we thought it was getting close, we started to suit up at one point there was 20 plus locals crowding around us just standing real close watching us a few would ask questions but most just stared. As soon as there was an opening we road under the machinery cleaning up and got going into the dark we went. We got to a small town rode around found a hotel with parking for 4 bucks each and dinner for $1.50 each we were stoked.
We woke up and got on the road quickly, road about another 50km till we hit pavement. We rode for about 5km stopped for a picture and started to go again. Ahhh what the hell my bike wont rev over 6k I pull over and check it out I had burned some oil so I topped it off and headed off still no luck, Nick was pulled over I pulled over and started to think then opened up my air box and pulled my air filter. I had just cleaned and changed the air filter in La Paz 500 dusty miles ago. It was so clogged and heavy I have never seen one like it. I grabbed my crappy back up and through it in, problem solved lets rip. We had breakfast and grabbed gas, SWEET local prices!! 35 cents a liter!!! We took our turn off and headed for the hospital where Che was put on display when he was killed. The road on the map was dirt but in real life it was perfectly paved a little bummer but still a fun road. We pulled into town made it to the museum before they closed and checked it out a wealth of information about him and how he was killed (and graphic pictures of him dead and bleeding out). We headed out of town following the Che route and made our way to town La Higuera. At the last crossroad we were stopped and Nick was asked to go to this ladies house tell her son she was waiting for him. On the way into the town about 20km off the main road, half way there we stopped and Nick asked a kid walking donkeys where this house was he said it was his and then Nick told him to go get his mother he laughed and headed to go get her.. Haha.. We arrived at the town and found the Telecommunications building which was Cheís outpost and someone had turned it into a small hotel so we decided to stay the night. We walked around checked out another museum about Che and saw where and the chair he was shot in. Crazy.
In the morning I checked my oil it was low again I was burning a lot of oil what the hell Nick said he saw some blue puffs yesterday so I was concerned. I kept having to add oil all day not stoked this is not good. We came into town and I wanted gas but the station was closed, at my regular gas consumption I would make it to the next town. Although I made it with in 15km and she ran out I kicked it on reserve and headed in, I made it 1km from town and she was dead. Crap. Nick came back asking what I was doing standing on the road I looked at him really you jack ass haha I ran out of gas. Haha he gave me some gas and we made it into town. After a little begging we got the shop owner to sell me some gas he gave me ten liters for 50cent a liter I was stoked. We headed back to Sucre only 100km left, as we left the town we took a small road that kind of dead ended but we could see the main road so we road through a rocky bouldering open shot to the road, I bounced off one rock hit a boulder through me sideways uphill I fell back down hill bike laying on a ledge. I grabbed the front tire and slid her around and lifted her up, Nick Took pictures haha. I got on and went to go, front tire was stuck and back slipped out and down I went we picked it up and I gave her hell and made it up and out to the main road. My bike was feeling like crap and I lead all the way back till we stopped at a gas station Nick told me that my bike was kicking straight blue smoke out of it constantly.. NOT STOKED!! The gas attendant told me that there was a out of plate price I said how much and he thought for a little bit and said 8 I wasnít in the best mood with my bike so I said no he was shocked. I said 5 he said 7 we agreed on 6.5 haha less than a dollar a liter. Nick just sat laughing, but was stoked to save money, since they still wrote the receipt for local price and pocketed the rest. We made it back to town and loaded our bikes into the hotel courtyard. Had dinner with Ian and told our stories, I did a bunch of research and talked to my friend Chad who is a mechanic. I decided I would find a good shop and go tomorrow morning for a compression check.

SWITCHING TO A KNOBBY

QUICK 10 MINUTE CHANGE AT THE SHOP FOR $1.30

NICK COMING IN DUSTY

AINT SHE A BUTE!

MY FAVORITE PICTURE OF MYSELF FROM THE RIDE, THANKS NICK!!!

GETTING A LIL DUSTY

I LOVE MY LIFE!!!!

CLEARING THE ROCKSLIDE

AND WAITING WITH AN AUDIENCE

CHANGING AIR FILTERS

MESSING WITH MY CAMERA

JESUS GOT OUR BACK

CHE

CHE DEAD ON DISPLAY AT THE HOSPITAL

CHASING CHE

MY FAVORITE SHOT OF NICK FROM OUR LOOP RIDE
Computer is almost out of batteries, will post more pics from the ride in a few hours... Thanks Fletch
Old 07-01-2012, 10:34 AM   #262
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Laugh Che loop pics cont.....

THE WHOLE RIDE HAD AWESOME VIEWS

THERE WERE MURALS EVERYWHERE

EVERY 10-15KM THERE WAS A CHE SIGN ON THIS ONE ROAD

FUN ROAD JUST WINDING THROUGH THE BOLIVIAN COUNTRY SIDE

HAHAHA

BAHAHAHAHA

MASSIVE STATUE OF CHE IN THE CENTER OF THE VILLAGE

WHAT CAN I SAY WE HAVE EACH OTHERS BACKS... :)

IN THE SCHOOL

MURALS EVERYWHERE

THE CHAIR IN WHICH CHE WAS SHOT IN.... :(

HIS CLOTHING

HAHA CHECK NICK OUT AT WWW.ROADTRIPRAMBLING.TUMBLR.COM

PLAQUE AT THE SCHOOL

LOOKING GOOD IN THE MORNING

NICK TAKING THE LEAD

QUICK BREAK AND SIGN SHOT

MASSIVE BRIDGE IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE

FROM THE BRIDGE

THE OTHER SIDE

NICK RIDING IN

WHAT A RIDE!!!

ONE OF MY FAVORITE SCENIC SHOTS

NICK SCOPING OUT THE ROUTE

WE FOUND SOME GOOD MUD

WAITING FOR THE ROAD TO OPEN

NICE SNAP NICK!!!!!

SHREDDING BOLIVIA AND LOVING EVERY SECOND!!!!

ADDING OIL.. SHIT

THANKS FOR THE EVIDENCE NICK... HAHAHA

COME ON MUSCLE'S WORK.. BREATHING HARD AT 10K FEET HAHAHA

Hell of a fun loop, a must in Bolivia I would say!!!

Thanks for following, Fletch

crestedbutte-rtw screwed with this post 07-01-2012 at 10:43 AM
Old 07-01-2012, 10:59 AM   #263
D-RAIL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Awesome update!
I dig Wolfman luggage! It looks like you shaved a few pounds of gear too. What size rear duffle bag do you have?
D-RAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #264
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Laugh All apart of the adventure!!!

DAY-237-238
6/29-30/2012
Woke up this morning on a mission to get my bike checked out and my compression, hoping it wasnít my top end.. I did some research and found a highly recommended shop on Horizons Unlimited. Also I had heard of another shop that did a lot of work with big bikes like mine. We went to Breakfast said good bye to Ian and cleaned one of my air filters to let it dry. I got directions and headed off for the shop that was recommended by the HUB, it took me forever to find it. When I finally found it, it looked nothing like the description on online which was of a three store huge shop. Instead I found a small apartment set up with a courtyard with two bikes stripped down with two 14 years old boys working in the dirt. I talked to the owner who spoke perfect English; he walked out to my bike and revved it up. The tailpipe was smoking bad, he said no need for compression test you need a new top end and it will take awhile and patience. I said thank you and headed for the next shop, where I found 30 plus bikes in a nice work shop, a few big bikes, and a couple beautiful 450fís motocross bikes. I talked with the owner he was very knowledgeable and awesome. I left the bike and grabbed him my manual so he could get the correct readings for my compression test and valves. We had dinner and a chill night, Nick has been sick with the pooops.
I walked back to the shop and talked with the owner this morning. So knowing the history of my bike and that some of the 2009 models did not have correctly seated rings we started there he did a compression check and was low so he opened it up. What had happened was that because of my clogged air filter and having to use my back up I pulled the dusty into my engine thus screwing up my rings and pistons. New top end is needed, also he needs to adjust my valves and my timing chain is a little over half stretched out will need a new one in a little while might as well get done now in Bolivia where labor is cheap. We went over a few other things and his buddy is building a stronger back rack so I can hold my gas tank on correctly without it breaking, he is also welding my side rack that broke while doing the route. He is also searching for a larger plastic gas tank for me.
I have been planning on doing a full top end when I make it to either Chile or Argentina, because I have one of those 09' KLR that the rings were not seated correctly from the factory. I have been using about a quart of oil every thousand miles since I left CO. Now I have no choice, but the upside is it will be much cheaper than Argentina or Chile. He is positive and thinks I will get the parts by Weds and have the bike back together by mid day Thursday, so I can go ride it for 300km or so, making sure she is good and then change the oil. I will go up and help him rebuild it so I can learn from him. If all goes well then on Friday I will ride straight to where Nick is and do the salt flats and lagoon crossing to San Pedro with him, because he is heading out Saturday morning due to his permit screw up he has to be out of Bolivia by the 12th. So Fingers Crossed!!! No matter what happens I have just been smiling and laughing gotta love the adventure of it all!!!

The shop!

THE GUARD DOG WHO IS ADDICTED TO SUGAR AND WILL FOLLOW YOU AROUND AND JUMP ON YOU IF YOU WALK IN WITH A BOTTLE OF COKE!! HAHA

I WILL TAKE ONE OF THESE INSTEAD OF MY KLR PLEASE.. HAHA WANNA TRADE?

EL POOPO!!! HAHAHA

FINGERS CROSSED!!!
My RR is finally up to date, sorry it took so long!!

Thanks for following my adventures,
Fletch
Old 07-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #265
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Thumb Thanks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-RAIL View Post
Awesome update!
I dig Wolfman luggage! It looks like you shaved a few pounds of gear too. What size rear duffle bag do you have?
I am rocking the Wolfman "Expedition Dry Duffel Bag" Size Large. I have dropped probably a quarter of my crap since starting and am still trying to drop more and more.
Thanks for following!!
Fletch
Old 07-01-2012, 03:13 PM   #266
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Funny thing is where you are is about where my buddy on a KLR had his top end go on him. hahaa. Same thing, rings and burning oil.

My XRR burns about 250-500ml (1/2 quart) every 2000KM. If it makes it back to Calgary it's getting a refresher... Just going to swap everything onto a low mileage bike and sell the old frame and engine as a high mileage, stock bike.

Good to see the updates! Nice that you met up with Nick again. Sure looks like fun riding!

Old 07-02-2012, 12:15 AM   #267
D-RAIL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
KLR burning oil

Yo Fletch, sorry to hear about your bike troubles, I hate to be the bear of bad news, And any other KLR guys will tell you the same, Do a search on here or any KLR forum...... but 08,09,&2010 & possibly some 2011 models left the factory with out of round cylinders. I know this to be fact because I had an 08 that burned about a quart between fuel stops! My girlfriend at the time had the same problem with hers, Two of my buddys had 09, and 2010 models that burned oil too. Kawasaki will not admit to this problem and if you take to the dealer under warranty, most shops will not do anything, and if they do they will install a new OEM cylinder(that will be out of round if bored between those years),piston & rings, and you're left with the same problem.
I guess the QC guy at the Kawi factory was smoking crack.

The only solution is to bore your cylinder. (Or find a known OEM cylinder that was bored after 2011-2012) I have installed 5 big bore kits for the KLRs. Shnitz Racing makes a nice 685cc kit with piston, rings, gaskets, They can send you a bored cylinder too.Im sure a quality machine shop is hard to find in Bolivia, but I could be wrong.

I bored my KLR at 8,000mi, and rode it trouble free for another 15,000mi. I sold it to a good buddy,who has over 35,000mi. and I have UPGRADED to a DR650!haha.

D-RAIL screwed with this post 07-02-2012 at 02:06 PM
D-RAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:22 AM   #268
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-RAIL View Post
...or still pissed about Hiroshima

Ahh... Can't believe you went there....

Fletch, contact a guy I know in Brazil. As mentioned, he was somewhere along your route and Kawi picked up most, if not the whole bill. Ask him how he had it done:

http://advrider.com/forums/member.php?u=159765

Old 07-04-2012, 07:32 AM   #269
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Laugh Happy 4th!!!

Happy 4th of july!!!!! Somebody eat some ribs and drink some pbr's for me... Haha
Old 07-04-2012, 03:09 PM   #270
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Wicked 4th of july

MY FOURTH OF JULY DINNER IN BOLIVIA!!!
HAHAHA